Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine has on its website that it is required to have a minimum 7 on the verbal. I scored a 6 but was higher in the averages for both sciences and my GPA is a 3.95. So, I should not bother applying to SIU then?

Members don't see this ad.

Is English your native language? If so, you should seriously consider retaking the MCAT. A great many schools place a lot of emphasis on the VR section, and less than an 8 on any section seriously impedes your competitiveness for allopathic school.

If SIU says they require a 7 or higher, why would you think 6 is good enough for them?

-z

No, English is not my native language. I learned it here when I was 14 years old.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine has on its website that it is required to have a minimum 7 on the verbal. I scored a 6 but was higher in the averages for both sciences and my GPA is a 3.95. So, I should not bother applying to SIU then?

Since you scored higher on verbal on your last MCAT, you might call SIU and see if they look at the highest score you've obtained for each section, or if they only consider the most recent test. If the latter, there's no point in wasting your money by applying there. Perhaps the DO schools you're considering will be more forgiving about a low verbal score.

Retake the test. They'll forgive quite a bit with the PS and BS/Orgo, given your GPA (if indeed that is your BPCM GPA). They are pretty limited on the range of Verbal scores they'll accept though. What was your score for the WS? Anything short of an S or T in that and you should definitely retake the test.

Make reading the NYT editorials and random journals in literature and the liberal arts, a habit, to improve your verbal skills.