You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Southern Illinois
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
hec0201
Full Member
Got word that they did not send any A's yet but hope to this week. They were delayed due to the holiday weekend, which is understandable!Any word so far?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PATTYCAKES1504
Full Member
+1!!!Just got the full A! So excited!
Edit: AWPA 10/1
itjusttakesoneA
Full Member
Me too! Congrats everyone!! 🙂+1!!!
PATTYCAKES1504
Full Member
That would be nice. I'm sure those of us on here could coordinate one if they don't.I know it is early but do we know if SIU makes an admitted student group chat? Excited to connect with possible future classmates!
hec0201
Full Member
I was put into contact with a current student who said the page usually gets made around April-ish!Accepted earlier today as well, definitely down for a group chat! From looking at a previous thread, it appears admissions makes a FB page but I imagine that is much later in the cycle. Congrats!
Also, putting it out there that I spent a few years in Carbondale/Murphysboro growing up and visit family often since so if anyone has questions about the area or school feel free to DM me!
I'm in a joint program so I am in the class of 2027. starting med school in August too! Lmk if you guys start a group chat! I am also living in Carbondale this year if any of you need advice on where to live 🙂
PATTYCAKES1504
Full Member
AWPA comes through snail mail. A comes through both.Just wondering, do they send AWPA decisions through snail mail or through email or both?
I had almost applied to this school since it's in Illinois and I wanted to apply to all Illinois schools! Does this school really not accept any out of state applicants at all? I didn't even know that was possible, their acceptance rates must be through the roof! I've learned a lot through the admissions process this cycle, and if I were to do it again, I think I would pick a different state to become a resident of before applying. I would pick a state with more than a single medical school, and definitely a state with at least 1 school that only accepts IS. Thinking back, there's a lot I could have done differently to boost my chances, and I am just sitting here hoping and praying that 1 of the schools I applied to comes through. Like most of the people here, it has been my dream for a really long time to become a doctor. I hope all of you get the news you're waiting for <3.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@TiramisuLover99 - According to MSAR:I had almost applied to this school since it's in Illinois and I wanted to apply to all Illinois schools! Does this school really not accept any out of state applicants at all? I didn't even know that was possible, their acceptance rates must be through the roof! I've learned a lot through the admissions process this cycle, and if I were to do it again, I think I would pick a different state to become a resident of before applying. I would pick a state with more than a single medical school, and definitely a state with at least 1 school that only accepts IS. Thinking back, there's a lot I could have done differently to boost my chances, and I am just sitting here hoping and praying that 1 of the schools I applied to comes through. Like most of the people here, it has been my dream for a really long time to become a doctor. I hope all of you get the news you're waiting for <3.
Attachments
The only people they accept out of state is for the combine JD/MD program, other than that it is only instate.I had almost applied to this school since it's in Illinois and I wanted to apply to all Illinois schools! Does this school really not accept any out of state applicants at all? I didn't even know that was possible, their acceptance rates must be through the roof! I've learned a lot through the admissions process this cycle, and if I were to do it again, I think I would pick a different state to become a resident of before applying. I would pick a state with more than a single medical school, and definitely a state with at least 1 school that only accepts IS. Thinking back, there's a lot I could have done differently to boost my chances, and I am just sitting here hoping and praying that 1 of the schools I applied to comes through. Like most of the people here, it has been my dream for a really long time to become a doctor. I hope all of you get the news you're waiting for <3.
PATTYCAKES1504
Full Member
I received a notice email when they got mine, so I'd imagine you will. It doesn't sound neurotic. Definitely want to make sure you're set. Especially with all of the holiday mail the post office has to deal with during this time of year.Does anyone know if SIU sends a notice after receiving the deposit check? Sounds neurotic but wanted to make sure they got it.
lordepithelial
Full Member
You guys know how much of the AWPA applicants actually get into the program?
IIRC the power point at the beginning of the interview said they usually expect 80-85% of the AWPA list get acceptances in a given yearYou guys know how much of the AWPA applicants actually get into the program?
lordepithelial
Full Member
AWPA!! Hopefully I get in 10/19 interviewed
_mesoderm_
New Member
I interviewed 10/11 and received AWPA on 11/23, really hoping for an acceptance soon!
I don't have an answer, but I was wondering this as wellAnyone know if they accept letters of intent? I thought they didn't but I just want to be certain
Edit: emailed admissions; they do not accept letters of intent. You may add updates to your file, but once your file has been reviewed, it does not get reviewed again (i.e., the admissions committee does not see any updates, so not sure if it would be worth adding them or not)
Last edited:
lordepithelial
Full Member
When should we be expecting the second round of acceptances?
la vida loca
Full Member
Just got a rejection email after being placed on the alternate list way back in July.
Same here, it was tripping me up; I wonder if it means we will get something soon.Just received letters of invitation to apply to their MD/PHD program and the Lincoln Scholars Program. Not an acceptance but better than radio silence, I guess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1Same here, it was tripping me up; I wonder if it means we will get something soon.
Same here, confirmation of seat from SIU but no email from Certiphi. Saw something on reddit about it and was slightly concerned lol. It could have school-specific dates or something, I honestly don't know much about it.Has anyone who has been fully accepted received an email from the background check people at Certiphi? I have confirmation of my seat for enrollment but have not gotten the background check and other people at different schools seem to have gotten them.
Edit: Just looked at AMCAS website and participating schools. Looks like SIU does not participate in the Certiphi / AMCAS's background check, they most likely just conduct their own
Last edited:
+1Just got a rejection email after being placed on the alternate list way back in July.
hec0201
Full Member
Same here, confirmation of seat from SIU but no email from Certiphi. Saw something on reddit about it and was slightly concerned lol. It could have school-specific dates or something, I honestly don't know much about it.
Edit: Just looked at AMCAS website and participating schools. Looks like SIU does not participate in the Certiphi / AMCAS's background check, they most likely just conduct their own
Okay perfect, thank you for finding this!
Has anyone heard anything about second batches going out? In previous threads, it looks like maybe the last week of January/first week of February-ish, but I was just wandering if this date has been communicated or if anyone has asked??? Very anxious
SlippinJimmy
Full Member
Got the A! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting on decisions. If someone has made an admitted students GC, PM me plz!!
Did you get it today?Got the A! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting on decisions. If someone has made an admitted students GC, PM me plz!!
Called today, they said they have sent the second batch yesterday. Was told they’ll meet again to discuss 3rd batch around March 7. 😭Did you get it today?
Was it thru email or snail mail?Got the A! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting on decisions. If someone has made an admitted students GC, PM me plz!!
hec0201
Full Member
I don't think anyone has! and, congrats!!Got the A! Good luck to everyone who is still waiting on decisions. If someone has made an admitted students GC, PM me plz!!
hec0201
Full Member
I think they send an email first then mail!Was it thru email or snail mail?
Yea, I interviewed in Nov and haven't heard back yet after being placed in AWPA12/12 interview date, they told me my file would be reviewed on 1/24 and would be in time for the second batch of acceptances, not for sure what’s going on😅
hec0201
Full Member
12/12 interview date, they told me my file would be reviewed on 1/24 and would be in time for the second batch of acceptances, not for sure what’s going on😅
Yea, I interviewed in Nov and haven't heard back yet after being placed in AWPA
I think the latest they said people would hear back could be a week before orientation. I think they said most people here back after april once CTE deadline happens in AMCAS. If its only the second round, probably only ~50 applications for the class have come out (the class size is about 75 I think?). not sure tho, just estimates.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 10/27, and got AWPA in early December, so I thought they would be sending out a second round the first week of February too. Kind of hard to believe that only one person got an A on here if the second batch did go out last weekThey told us that too on my interview day. Guess i was just confused because I thought normally the second batch comes the first week of February (a few people from my school got accepted last year at that time) so I was expecting this year would be February also
lordepithelial
Full Member
Anyone else got an AWPA in early December, and still waiting?
AWPA since October :/ but still optimistic.Anyone else got an AWPA in early December, and still waiting?
lordepithelial
Full Member
We would still have a chance for third batch? I saw that April 30th is sort of the deadline for acceptances and movement after?AWPA since October :/ but still optimistic.
There’s the third batch and even after because there should be movement after the third batch for students with As, whether they accept the offer or not. If not, then they’ll give the A to the next person on their list. Ik 2 people last year that got accepted to SIUMED during the month of May.We would still have a chance for third batch? I saw that April 30th is sort of the deadline for acceptances and movement after?