2022-2023 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how this school ranks compared to higher ranked DO schools? DMU for instance lol

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone who interviewed in early September. Do you remember if today was our committee date? I can't remember for sure and am anxiously waiting for a letter from SIU as it is a top choice of mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who interviewed in early September. Do you remember if today was our committee date? I can't remember for sure and am anxiously waiting for a letter from SIU as it is a top choice of mine.
I interviewed mid-sept. and I believe my file comes up on/around 10/11. I believe it was 4 weeks after your interview

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody still not receive a secondary? I received the acknowledgment email from SIU med on 8/8. Still have not heard back :(

Congrats! I just received a secondary! Do you automatically get an interview if you get a secondary?
It appears so. I am sure there is some sort of read-over of your responses to make sure there is no red-flags but I think most/if not all do receive one. Can't remember how long it took to schedule an interview but I know I submitted my secondary the day after receiving it.

I also interviewed the second week of September and they told me that my file will be presented on October 11th. Congrats on the AWPA!

I also interviewed the second week of September and they told me that my file will be presented on October 11th. Congrats on the AWPA!
Were you emailed regarding when your file is going to be presented or did they tell you during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I never received anything about that prior to my interview; thanks for letting me know though.

I only got told the day I interviewed, not before. You probably could email them and they would tell you!

Does anyone know if SIU accepts letters of intent? I'm leaning towards no since they did not mention them during interviews

Just wondering, how long after submission of the secondary app did you guys receive an interview invite?

After your file is presented, are you notified of placement by mail or email?

My nephew is really hoping to receive an Interview invite from SIU soon!!! Def interested in this state school! Just wondering...Is it a bad look if one were offered an interview to request a virtual interview because it might be logistically challenging to get from Northern IL to Springfield (2+hr drive)? Has anyone had a virtual interview this cycle?

Last edited:
My nephew is really hoping to receive an Interview invite from SIU soon!!! Def interested in this state school! Just wondering...Is it a bad look if one were offered an interview to request a virtual interview because it might be logistically challenging to get from Northern IL to Springfield (2+hr drive)? Has anyone had a virtual interview this cycle?

I went in person and it was a very great experience. It was a three hour drive for me, and it was well worth it. I don’t think it looks bad necessarily, but it really comes down to how you showcase yourself as an individual with a passion for medicine. If doing it virtually will help convey that most optimally, then go with that.

I went in person and it was a very great experience. It was a three hour drive for me, and it was well worth it. I don’t think it looks bad necessarily, but it really comes down to how you showcase yourself as an individual with a passion for medicine. If doing it virtually will help convey that most optimally, then go with that.
Thank you for your feedback!

My nephews still waiting...How do Northern Illinois applicants get to an interview if invited for one? Drive for 3+hours the morning of? Do they stay in hotel the night before, which hotel?

My nephews still waiting...How do Northern Illinois applicants get to an interview if invited for one? Drive for 3+hours the morning of? Do they stay in hotel the night before, which hotel?

I stayed at a hotel. I drive the day before sometime in the evening, don’t recall the exact name of hotel but it was literal minutes away from SIU

I stayed at a hotel. I drive the day before sometime in the evening, don’t recall the exact name of hotel but it was literal minutes away from SIU
Great! I've seen from others online previously that the interview day can end no later than 3:30 p.m. How early can it end, 12 p.m. noon? The website and other threads say there are 2 interviews...if there are only two interviews and maybe a tour / extra meeting or so, could the day end as early as 12:30 p.m. or noon? How early was your interview day concluded? Did you check out of hotel the day of your interview?... Sorry this is new for my nephew and I ...just trying to support him best as possible if he is offered an interview (fingers crossed).

Great! I've seen from others online previously that the interview day can end no later than 3:30 p.m. How early can it end, 12 p.m. noon? The website and other threads say there are 2 interviews...if there are only two interviews and maybe a tour / extra meeting or so, could the day end as early as 12:30 p.m. or noon? How early was your interview day concluded? Did you check out of hotel the day of your interview?... Sorry this is new for my nephew and I ...just trying to support him best as possible if he is offered an interview (fingers crossed).
I was fortunate to have both my interviews before the info session so I was wrapped up by like 12/1PM. Someone else had one at 2:40PMish. It was a really good day and I really enjoyed the school! I stayed at a hotel the night before so I didn't have to worry about driving in the morning.

I was fortunate to have both my interviews before the info session so I was wrapped up by like 12/1PM. Someone else had one at 2:40PMish. It was a really good day and I really enjoyed the school! I stayed at a hotel the night before so I didn't have to worry about driving in the morning.
excellent! was the info session the financial aid session or was there another session?

excellent! was the info session the financial aid session or was there another session?
I had an info session before the day started, an interview, financial aid, another interview, and then a tour/lunch. All of mine were in the same area so I didn't need to drive

I had an info session before the day started, an interview, financial aid, another interview, and then a tour/lunch. All of mine were in the same area so I didn't need to drive
excellent! GL to you!!

Does anyone know if As are coming out in Nov or Dec this cycle? I thought they send a batch before Thanksgiving or Christmas, just can't recall which one they said

Does anyone know if As are coming out in Nov or Dec this cycle? I thought they send a batch before Thanksgiving or Christmas, just can't recall which one they said
I think in the past they have sent a batch right before thanksgiving

They said the week of thanksgiving during my interview but then the paper says december so no idea. I'd love it if it was next week tho!

They said the week of thanksgiving during my interview but then the paper says december so no idea. I'd love it if it was next week tho!
Per the admissions department, it should go out the day before thanksgiving (I asked because I could not handle the waiting lol). they said if it gets delayed because of the holiday it would come out the following week!

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen on this thread and previous years that students invited for interview are taken on a tour...just out of curiosity where do they take you? Lots of walking? Need gym shoes?

I've seen on this thread and previous years that students invited for interview are taken on a tour...just out of curiosity where do they take you? Lots of walking? Need gym shoes?

It was quite a bit of walking. Their campus is pretty spread out. Some girls in my group wore heels but I was glad I’d worn flats

It was quite a bit of walking. Their campus is pretty spread out. Some girls in my group wore heels but I was glad I’d worn flats
Thank you for replying! Was the tour outside at all or connected through buildings? I imagine for those got invited for interview recently they had to carry a large coat?

Additionally, how many students were in your group approximately? From what I've researched online they say only a few students are invited to Interview on a specific day?

Additionally, how many students were in your group approximately? From what I've researched online they say only a few students are invited to Interview on a specific day?
There were five people at my interview and they said that is a large group. And yes it is a large portion outside so a coat would probably be a good idea

Any words on As this week?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone heard anything? Trying to decide whether to keep checking my email or not lol!

Anyone know if the first batch of A’s went out today?

Anyone know if the first batch of A’s went out today?

It was supposed to per and email I asked a while ago. I was told that that if it got delayed due to the holiday, it would be next week. Thought about emailing but worried about coming off as pushy and I just emailed about the timeline a couple weeks ago.

Interviewed on 10/19, any idea when I would hear back? I haven’t gotten any mail from them either

Interviewed on 10/19, any idea when I would hear back? I haven’t gotten any mail from them either
During interview day, they should have told you when they would present your file and when they would mail the placement. I interviewed 10/17, had my file presented 11/22 (mailed 11/23) and I just received my mail today 11/25.