This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been complaining about how I never learned Spanish in high school so I decided to finally do something about it so I don't ever have regrets.

My first question is, do you/ someone you know have the experience of going from zero to fluent in a language you just started learning in college?

Also, when would be the best time to study abroad for a premed? I'm a sophomore now, and it's my understanding that often times the summer after junior year is when many take the MCAT and apply for med schools, and you start getting interviews the beginning of senior year. With this in mind, I'm not sure when the best time to study abroad would be.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

If possible, I'd say try to study abroad anytime during your sophomore year (or the summer following your sophomore year).

Maybe Fall of your Junior year, but that year can be pretty packed already with:

1) attempting to gather research/leadership experience
2) MCAT prep (don't underestimate this)
3) solidifying your continued commitment to volunteering (clinical and/or non-clinical) just prior to applying in the Spring

If possible, I'd say try to study abroad anytime during your sophomore year (or the summer following your sophomore year).

Maybe Fall of your Junior year, but that year can be pretty packed already with:

1) attempting to gather research/leadership experience
2) MCAT prep (don't underestimate this)
3) solidifying your continued commitment to volunteering (clinical and/or non-clinical) just prior to applying in the Spring
The problem is i have to first take a sequence of elementary 1 and 2 and intermediate 1 and 2. This will take me until the end of my junior year :/

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is i have to first take a sequence of elementary 1 and 2 and intermediate 1 and 2. This will take me until the end of my junior year :/

No option to take any of these courses over the summer?

Following your plan above would leave you to study abroad your senior year. Not exactly advisable unless you plan on taking a gap year...

No option to take any of these courses over the summer?

Following your plan above would leave you to study abroad your senior year. Not exactly advisable unless you plan on taking a gap year...
Because it's a sequence, I'm only able to take one class in the summer. I'm going to look into other colleges to see if I'll be able to take 2 over the summer. If so, the best case is that I'll be able to study abroad spring of junior year. Do you think this would still work out okay? Would the summer between junior and senior year be okay?

Because it's a sequence, I'm only able to take one class in the summer. I'm going to look into other colleges to see if I'll be able to take 2 over the summer. If so, the best case is that I'll be able to study abroad spring of junior year. Do you think this would still work out okay? Would the summer between junior and senior year be okay?

Not unless you want to take a gap year. The summer pre-senior yr is when most people complete applications (mostly secondaries) to med schools and it’s A LOT of tailored writing.

I recommend pre-writing most of your essays if you want to apply senior yr w/o a gap yr.

Keep in mind that these are just my opinions, but those semesters are already pretty busy for the following reasons:

Spring semester Junior year: MCAT prep (or retake if necessary), finding LoR writers, finishing strong for your submitted GPA (or establishing an upward trend, if possible)

Summer between junior/senior year: Filling out and submitting secondaries, chasing after LoR writers to submit letters

I wasn't premed in college, so MCAT studying wasn't on my radar. If you are happy taking a gap year or two, I recommend Junior spring. You aren't ready to graduate and it's one of the more difficult times to get through mentally. Going abroad gives that year a little excitement. I started my senior thesis while abroad, so you can sometimes work research in as well. I had another friend who studied in Chile during that semester as well, and he did go on to medical school with no gap year. I took my first college level language class while abroad and became somewhat conversational (classes, however, were taught in English), so that might be an option as well.