St. Augustine Spring/Summer 2020 cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh lol South College. As a non trad I prefer the hybrid accelerated format

I actually went to USA Austin campus for an interview last month and the school/program was great! I'm also a non-traditional and I was really impressed. I was also offered a spot which I'll be accepting for summer! The program was much better than ppl on here tend to think. I'm so excited I got in!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually went to USA Austin campus for an interview last month and the school/program was great! I'm also a non-traditional and I was really impressed. I was also offered a spot which I'll be accepting for summer! The program was much better than ppl on here tend to think. I'm so excited I got in!
Congrats on your acceptance!! I interviewed at USA Austin two years ago and had no doubts they have a solid program. They were actually the only school I applied to at the time but I was ultimately denied admission. I would've certainly gone there had they accepted me. Since then, I've worked in a PT setting and learned about other programs by working with PTs of different backgrounds. To be honest, the 2-year hybrid programs like South College and Baylor get a bad rap too but I work with PTs who went there and are great at what they do. I've also met USA alumni who are great at what they do. In the end, you get out of it what you put into it. For my personal situation, the hybrid format will work better for me. Also, finishing school in two years means freeing up a year for a residency program if I so choose. It wasn't a tough sell. ;)

Congrats on your acceptance!! I interviewed at USA Austin two years ago and had no doubts they have a solid program. They were actually the only school I applied to at the time but I was ultimately denied admission. I would've certainly gone there had they accepted me. Since then, I've worked in a PT setting and learned about other programs by working with PTs of different backgrounds. To be honest, the 2-year hybrid programs like South College and Baylor get a bad rap too but I work with PTs who went there and are great at what they do. I've also met USA alumni who are great at what they do. In the end, you get out of it what you put into it. For my personal situation, the hybrid format will work better for me. Also, finishing school in two years means freeing up a year for a residency program if I so choose. It wasn't a tough sell. ;)

I totally agree. I've met some great PT from USA and I'm fortunate for the opportunity. I hope everything works out for you. Whatever you decide to do - it was the right thing to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. I've met some great PT from USA and I'm fortunate for the opportunity. I hope everything works out for you. Whatever you decide to do - it was the right thing to do.
To be honest, I would've gone to PT school on the moon had it been the only place that accepted me haha. Thanks, same to you - I hope you enjoy your experience. It's exciting to finally know what lies ahead (at least in the near term), that's for sure!

To be honest, I would've gone to PT school on the moon had it been the only place that accepted me haha. Thanks, same to you - I hope you enjoy your experience. It's exciting to finally know what lies ahead (at least in the near term), that's for sure!

Hahaha I would have gone for a residential program on the moon too! But thank you!

Hi everyone! I had a quick question. I submitted my app for USA Spring 2020 cohort on Oct. 1st. My question is how long does PTCAS take to verify. I mean, I know what they estimate. But, I'm wondering if I waited too long to submit because now I have to wait for it to verify before it even gets to USA and I get a shot at an interview. I hope I didn't make a mistake and should have applied to a different cohort instead. Any advice?

I just wrote refer to essay in the supplemental section. I didn’t want to write that either and I got an interview for next month.
So did you not write the ptcas essay or the personal statement? Because, I wrote the PTCAS one since its apart of the entire ptcas application. Although, some stuff that I want to write on my personal statement for USA is related to the ptcas essay. I'm not sure if submitting two similar essays will be okay.

Hi everyone! I had a quick question. I submitted my app for USA Spring 2020 cohort on Oct. 1st. My question is how long does PTCAS take to verify. I mean, I know what they estimate. But, I'm wondering if I waited too long to submit because now I have to wait for it to verify before it even gets to USA and I get a shot at an interview. I hope I didn't make a mistake and should have applied to a different cohort instead. Any advice?
In my case they usually verified next day but this was back in August before things started to get really busy for them. If you feel like you have a strong application, you're probably fine since they do rolling admissions. If you want to optimize your chances and you're flexible on the start date you might be able to ask them if you can be considered for the next cohort instead.

In my case they usually verified next day but this was back in August before things started to get really busy for them. If you feel like you have a strong application, you're probably fine since they do rolling admissions. If you want to optimize your chances and you're flexible on the start date you might be able to ask them if you can be considered for the next cohort instead.

Thank you for your insight! Maybe I will try emailing my Enrollment Outreach Coordinator.

So did you not write the ptcas essay or the personal statement? Because, I wrote the PTCAS one since its apart of the entire ptcas application. Although, some stuff that I want to write on my personal statement for USA is related to the ptcas essay. I'm not sure if submitting two similar essays will be okay.

I believe that unless you're only applying to schools that have supplemental essay, it's necessary to write the ptcas essay. Plus it looks like you're lazy if you don't and you don't want to make a bad first impression.

What about applying on their website? I didn't submit my app. through PTCAS and got in that way. I did do PTCAS verification for other schools though and it was a lot quicker than I thought it was going to be.

What about applying on their website? I didn't submit my app. through PTCAS and got in that way. I did do PTCAS verification for other schools though and it was a lot quicker than I thought it was going to be.

I don’t think you can apply on their website because it says to apply through PTCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you had your pre advising phone call yet? I know the Fall cohort starts on Monday, so they are probably dealing what that and waitlist stuff. I have been able to reach the San Marcos advisor, but i’m on the Fall 2019 waitlist.
I was just invited to interview in Austin on Oct. 25 (Spring cohort). Not sure yet if I'll go because I've been accepted at another program I prefer. Just thought I'd update y'all though!
Hi! I was also invited to the interview on October 25th! I'd love to know if you end up going or not!

I will not be attending. I've interviewed there before though and have my experience written out in another thread if you want me to dig it up!

That would be great, if you don't mind!
Here's my experience from 2018:

The first part of the morning was a program overview, financial aid overview, and some info on the various student resources available. We then split off into 2 groups; one interviewed while the other toured the campus, then we switched.

Interestingly I ended up in a group interview with 4 candidates, which was larger than I expected. We were interviewed by two faculty members (I think one was mostly there to observe), and similar to what everyone else has said in the past, they made a great effort to keep the atmosphere as relaxed as possible. It was pretty conversational at times. I jotted down the list of questions they asked immediately after so I wouldn't forget:

-Tell me about yourself. Why PT? Why USA? Why Flex?
-‎What does professionalism mean to you?
-‎What animal would you be and why?
-‎What would you do if during your clinical you were treating a patient and your instructor yelled across the room that you were doing something wrong?
-‎What would you do if a physician put in an order for you to perform ultrasound therapy (contraindication) on a pregnant woman?
-‎What is your learning style?
-‎How do you handle stress?
-What questions do you have for us?

With the "what would you do" questions they would basically pick 2 of us to respond to the question and then encouraged us to respond to each other (I guess to see how we'd work together or something). Overall it was a bit more involved than I expected but I think the flow went pretty well. After the interview they fed us and let us chat with each other and faculty before leaving.

Reactions: 1 users
I was just invited to interview in Austin on Oct. 25 (Spring cohort). Not sure yet if I'll go because I've been accepted at another program I prefer. Just thought I'd update y'all though!
I have an interview there on that day as well.

I wrote the personal statement of why you want to be in for the program. But I did not write the PTCAS essay because it was not on the required documents for USA.

Here's my experience from 2018:

The first part of the morning was a program overview, financial aid overview, and some info on the various student resources available. We then split off into 2 groups; one interviewed while the other toured the campus, then we switched.

Interestingly I ended up in a group interview with 4 candidates, which was larger than I expected. We were interviewed by two faculty members (I think one was mostly there to observe), and similar to what everyone else has said in the past, they made a great effort to keep the atmosphere as relaxed as possible. It was pretty conversational at times. I jotted down the list of questions they asked immediately after so I wouldn't forget:

-Tell me about yourself. Why PT? Why USA? Why Flex?
-‎What does professionalism mean to you?
-‎What animal would you be and why?
-‎What would you do if during your clinical you were treating a patient and your instructor yelled across the room that you were doing something wrong?
-‎What would you do if a physician put in an order for you to perform ultrasound therapy (contraindication) on a pregnant woman?
-‎What is your learning style?
-‎How do you handle stress?
-What questions do you have for us?

With the "what would you do" questions they would basically pick 2 of us to respond to the question and then encouraged us to respond to each other (I guess to see how we'd work together or something). Overall it was a bit more involved than I expected but I think the flow went pretty well. After the interview they fed us and let us chat with each other and faculty before leaving.
This is very helpful, thank you so much!

I just wrote refer to essay in the supplemental section. I didn’t want to write that either and I got an interview for next month.

Wait so St Augustine does not look at the statement of purpose essay that they specifically ask for lol?

I'm referring to "Include a short statement of why you wish to pursue physical therapy as a career and why you chose the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences for that pursuit"

Wait so St Augustine does not look at the statement of purpose essay that they specifically ask for lol?

I'm referring to "Include a short statement of why you wish to pursue physical therapy as a career and why you chose the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences for that pursuit"
That’s the essay everyone is saying the wrote, not the ptcas essay about a meaningful experience.

I recently got accepted for the spring 2020 cycle at USA San Marcos. I hope to hear and connect from other students who have been accepted.

Also, if anybody has any questions regarding my stats, interview process, etc ask away and I'll try my best to answer it. Hopefully, I can help and good luck to everybody!

I recently got accepted for the spring 2020 cycle at USA San Marcos. I hope to hear and connect from other students who have been accepted.

Also, if anybody has any questions regarding my stats, interview process, etc ask away and I'll try my best to answer it. Hopefully, I can help and good luck to everybody!

Hi! I'm applying for Summer 2020 I wanted to know what your stats were, GPA, GRE, observation hours.
Also what were some things about your application that you believed helped with getting accepted.

Any tips for the interview process as well?

Thank you!!

I have an interview for the San Marcos location on October 22!

Hi! I'm applying for Summer 2020 I wanted to know what your stats were, GPA, GRE, observation hours.
Also what were some things about your application that you believed helped with getting accepted.

Any tips for the interview process as well?

Thank you!!

Based on PTCAS:

GPA: 3.27 (had to retake chem 200 3x and chem 201 2x)
GRE: 150 Q - 151 V - 4.0 Writing (took it 5 times ..... it was horrible lol)
Hours: 307 hours (outpatient, inpatient, sports, aquatic, and pediatrics)

As you can see, my stats are not all that but being personable helped a lot. I believe admissions really saw my progression and saw that as a good thing. Also, even though I don't have a lot of hours, the different settings really stood out which I talked about during my interview.

Interview:

If it ever feels like an interview (dull/boring), do your best to make it a conversation with the person interviewing you and the other candidate with you. Meaning, make it a back and forth conversation with everybody in the room. ASK AT LEAST 3 QUESTIONS IN THE END ... MAKE THE LAST QUESTION ABOUT THE INTERVIEWER.

Example: Based on research, I knew the interviewer plays in a band so I asked him what he prefers: ukelele or guitar? Super random but realize that these interviewers are probably exhausted from answering the same questions so come up with a question they'll be excited to answer.

Questions:
Tell me about yourself
Tell me a stressful situation
Tell me something you didn't like during your internship

Be personable!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I’m accept for Spring 2020 as well, are you in the Facebook group yet? I’m looking to connect with people as well.:) Congrats!

I’m accept for Spring 2020 as well, are you in the Facebook group yet? I’m looking to connect with people as well.:) Congrats!

Congrats to you too! I'm not connected yet so I was hoping to hear from other students. I had my interviewer October 8 so if you did too, I should remember who you were lol

Congrats to you too! I'm not connected yet so I was hoping to hear from other students. I had my interviewer October 8 so if you did too, I should remember who you were lol
No I did not, I got off the Fall 2019 waitlist. Would love to connect and such to other students, especially for finding roommates.

No I did not, I got off the Fall 2019 waitlist. Would love to connect and such to other students, especially for finding roommates.

I'm actually planning to commute, at least for the first year cause I live south of San Diego. Best of luck with the housing situation and yes, I def would love to connect and with the rest of the cohort.

Based on PTCAS:

GPA: 3.27 (had to retake chem 200 3x and chem 201 2x)
GRE: 150 Q - 151 V - 4.0 Writing (took it 5 times ..... it was horrible lol)
Hours: 307 hours (outpatient, inpatient, sports, aquatic, and pediatrics)

As you can see, my stats are not all that but being personable helped a lot. I believe admissions really saw my progression and saw that as a good thing. Also, even though I don't have a lot of hours, the different settings really stood out which I talked about during my interview.

Interview:

If it ever feels like an interview (dull/boring), do your best to make it a conversation with the person interviewing you and the other candidate with you. Meaning, make it a back and forth conversation with everybody in the room. ASK AT LEAST 3 QUESTIONS IN THE END ... MAKE THE LAST QUESTION ABOUT THE INTERVIEWER.

Example: Based on research, I knew the interviewer plays in a band so I asked him what he prefers: ukelele or guitar? Super random but realize that these interviewers are probably exhausted from answering the same questions so come up with a question they'll be excited to answer.

Questions:
Tell me about yourself
Tell me a stressful situation
Tell me something you didn't like during your internship

Be personable!

I feel you on the chem retakes, props for making it through!

Your interview tips are so helpful, thank you. I have an interview at the San Marcos location on 10/22

I feel you on the chem retakes, props for making it through!

Your interview tips are so helpful, thank you. I have an interview at the San Marcos location on 10/22
see you there! good luck on your interview

I'm actually planning to commute, at least for the first year cause I live south of San Diego. Best of luck with the housing situation and yes, I def would love to connect and with the rest of the cohort.
Oh nice, that’s super convenient. I’m slightly jealous! Lol Feel free to message me on here if you want, also joining the Facebook group may help with connecting.

Does anyone know if you apply to all 3 of their different starting dates would you have to submit a different supplemental application for each?

Does anyone know if you apply to all 3 of their different starting dates would you have to submit a different supplemental application for each?

I was told by my enrollment outreach coordinator that you can only apply to one cohort at a time.

Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know that I got invited to interview at USA San Marcos on November 5th! :) I originally applied for Spring 2020 but I am changing it to Summer 2020.

Hello everyone! I was invited for an interview on the 22nd of this month. I wanted to see if anyone else got the invitation as well?
I'm looking forward to meeting anyone who will be there! Wishing you all the best in your future aspirations!

Hello everyone! I was invited for an interview on the 22nd of this month. I wanted to see if anyone else got the invitation as well?
I'm looking forward to meeting anyone who will be there! Wishing you all the best in your future aspirations!
I got invited that day too! good luck on your interview, and hope to see you there!

I also received an invitation for the 22nd! See you there & good luck!

So I actually applied for the fall cohort, but for those who applied for spring and summer and after your application enter verified status, when were you contacted about an application review? And what goes on during it?

So I actually applied for the fall cohort, but for those who applied for spring and summer and after your application enter verified status, when were you contacted about an application review? And what goes on during it?
my application was verified the day after I sent the application to PTCAS. I signed up for the phone interview on October 1, and she goes over your application to see if your prereqs, GPA, and GRE are good. It took me 7 minutes to finish the application review.

my application was verified the day after I sent the application to PTCAS. I signed up for the phone interview on October 1, and she goes over your application to see if your prereqs, GPA, and GRE are good. It took me 7 minutes to finish the application review.

Thank you! Mine is in well ahead of the deadline of Dec. 16th, so I take it I won't be contacted for a little bit.

I just received an interview invite for the San Marcos campus (Summer 2020 start) on November 5th!

I actually reached out to the person that was supposed to do my application review but they never got back to me. I ended up receiving an interview email instead.

Just got the email I am invited for the Summer 2020 cohort for St Augustine campus in November 22nd. Anyone else that will be there, let me know! I would love to meet