stand a chance at harvard?

ggj

human considering dental
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey pre-dents & post-dents!
let me preface this by saying that i am *not* an up tight applicant obsessed with ivy leagues. my guy is going to harvard med & this is the only reason i started to consider it.
the more i read about boston, though, it seems like it would be an excellent fit!

big question is whether you guys think i even stand a chance.
here's the DAT break down

bio: 22
ochem: 25
genchem: 20
pat: 18
qr: 19
rc: 24
aa & avg: 22

concerned because the pat and qr are only a little above average :(

i'm an english & chemistry major, will graduate with two degrees next year
also a spanish minor
i'm at case western reserve university right now which is pretty legit for undergrad

lots of work experience because i had to put myself through school, but not that much volunteering. also i worked at the dental school in my university for a year (and i'm still there)

i have a 3.8 gpa
& i'm taking the arts/ceramics classes next year (took it throughout high school)
tutored & mentored underprivileged kids for about two years throughout college - had to stop just because of work
also i don't have that much research experience.
i worked with a research team but it was confined to data entry & project management, so i didn't really get to be 'in the field', so to speak.
i have faith in my LoR's and my PS.
after learning about boston & harvard's program, i think i would be a pretty good fit just because i've done so much in my community in terms of leadership (we're arab-americans, i started a tutoring program in our local community for non-native english speakers to learn english, and it's been going on for four years now)
also i'm president of two clubs next year & i've been awarded some prestigious scholarships for my fiction writing - obviously doesn't have to do with dentistry, but i think it makes me stand out a little!

so tell me what you guys think! and be brutal! if there's no point in applying, i don't want to be out $75.
all the best fellow dents!

Members don't see this ad.

hey pre-dents & post-dents!
let me preface this by saying that i am *not* an up tight applicant obsessed with ivy leagues. my guy is going to harvard med & this is the only reason i started to consider it.
the more i read about boston, though, it seems like it would be an excellent fit!

big question is whether you guys think i even stand a chance.
here's the DAT break down

bio: 22
ochem: 25
genchem: 20
pat: 18
qr: 19
rc: 24
aa & avg: 22

concerned because the pat and qr are only a little above average :(

i'm an english & chemistry major, will graduate with two degrees next year
also a spanish minor
i'm at case western reserve university right now which is pretty legit for undergrad

lots of work experience because i had to put myself through school, but not that much volunteering. also i worked at the dental school in my university for a year (and i'm still there)

i have a 3.8 gpa
& i'm taking the arts/ceramics classes next year (took it throughout high school)
tutored & mentored underprivileged kids for about two years throughout college - had to stop just because of work
also i don't have that much research experience.
i worked with a research team but it was confined to data entry & project management, so i didn't really get to be 'in the field', so to speak.
i have faith in my LoR's and my PS.
after learning about boston & harvard's program, i think i would be a pretty good fit just because i've done so much in my community in terms of leadership (we're arab-americans, i started a tutoring program in our local community for non-native english speakers to learn english, and it's been going on for four years now)
also i'm president of two clubs next year & i've been awarded some prestigious scholarships for my fiction writing - obviously doesn't have to do with dentistry, but i think it makes me stand out a little!

so tell me what you guys think! and be brutal! if there's no point in applying, i don't want to be out $75.
all the best fellow dents!

Here were the admission averages for last cycle:

View attachment 19727

You seem to be right at the averages for Harvard. If you're looking at Boston, you could also consider applying to BU and Tufts. Boston is an amazing city. Best of luck. :thumbup:

I also think you stand a fair shot at Harvard as well! With that being said, other schools in that state are also within your reach.

Hi, I am applying to dental schools for Fall 2013. Slyguy2098, I wanted to know how you find NYU? I am applying there, but I am a bit doubtful about the expensive tuition and expensive living in New York. Please let me know what you like best about NYU and what you think needs some improvement?

Thanks a lot :)