Stanford Interviewees: Notified Recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no word here yet, and i interviewed 3/02..i can't wait to hear news!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing for me.. no call or letter yet. Interviewed on 2/14, got reviewed 3/22 (according to Cassandra).. I'm expecting a waitlist/reject letter on Wed or Thurs maybe. I'm already mentally convinced that I'm not getting in.. ah well, at least I have other acceptances. I'll post on here as soon as I get the letter.

also interviewed the week of 2/14, and i've received no word here on the east coast. things are looking grim...i'll post when i hear something... :(

got the call today at 12:58pm central time. in TN here. interviewed on 2/27 and i guess i went under review last week. nothing in the mail yet. Dean Garcia said second look will be the last weekend of april.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL! :)

Congratulations farikanok!!

I also interviewed the week of 2/26, but have yet to hear anything. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst...

Members don't see this ad :)
So the Stanford wait-game continues. I called the admissions office today to ask about my application (I interviewed on 1/9/2007 and was told on 3/3/2007 that I would hear in a week). I received an apology for the delay in evaluating my application, and I was told that a decision would be made in 1 or 2 weeks. Stanford is the last school that I'm waiting for, so I'm getting kind of antsy now! Argh!

hey guys; just to relieve some anxiety sometimes the wait is longer for some bc the student or faculty doesnt get the interview feedback written up asap. we just got done w finals so there is probably a slight back-up. good luck

also interviewed the week of 2/14, and i've received no word here on the east coast. things are looking grim...i'll post when i hear something... :(

be patient =) no word is still better than a rejection. my friend was waiting for 7 weeks before she finally got a call from the dean. good luck :luck:

got the call today at 12:58pm central time. in TN here. interviewed on 2/27 and i guess i went under review last week. nothing in the mail yet. Dean Garcia said second look will be the last weekend of april.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL! :)

congratulations, farikanok!! i think i went under review last week too, and no call.. hopefully i got on the waitlist. :scared:

btw, is second look from the waitlist? is it before admit week?

Has anyone gotten news from last weeks Committee meeting? I really should have gone under review two weeks ago, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm hoping decisions from last week will be rolling in the mail soon. Also, can one of you guys maybe start a poll asking what percent of admitted students got the call and what percent didn't (both East and West coast). Thanks guys, I'm just nervous beyond belief and wish they would just get it over with.

after receiving nothing in the mail today (east coast), i sacked up and called the admissions office.

me: i interviewed the week of feb 12, and i was just wondering if you had any information as to when i might have been or will be reviewed?

OSA: we ask that applicants wait up to 4-5 weeks. therefore, please wait another week.

me: yes, i remember being told on my interview day to expect an answer no later than 4 or 5 weeks. but it has been more than 6.

OSA: yes, exactly, please wait another week. (followed by an uncharacteristically cheerful "thank you" and then "click").

i left the conversation feeling like i learned nothing. but it is very true at this point that no news is better than a rejection. :luck: :luck: good luck to all of those playing the waiting game with me :luck: :luck:

Hang in there, LadyKae! Maybe we'll both go up for review this Thursday. *fingers crossed* I kind of wish that they'd disclose why exactly my application has taken so long to consider, but of course, that's not possible. However, 11 weeks after my interview, I'm really curious! :confused:

after receiving nothing in the mail today (east coast), i sacked up and called the admissions office.

me: i interviewed the week of feb 12, and i was just wondering if you had any information as to when i might have been or will be reviewed?

OSA: we ask that applicants wait up to 4-5 weeks. therefore, please wait another week.

me: yes, i remember being told on my interview day to expect an answer no later than 4 or 5 weeks. but it has been more than 6.

OSA: yes, exactly, please wait another week. (followed by an uncharacteristically cheerful "thank you" and then "click").

i left the conversation feeling like i learned nothing. but it is very true at this point that no news is better than a rejection. :luck: :luck: good luck to all of those playing the waiting game with me :luck: :luck:

I feel you, I called last week and got a similar response. The one who picked up the phone (Tracy) told me there was "no possibility" of finding out if I had been reviewed or not.. Funny, because I called Cassandra's direct line immediately after and she was in fact able to find out if I was being reviewed. But Cassandra was so rude. I introduced myself, and I said I interviewed On Feb 14th, and she immediately interrupted me and said "Who told you that you'd hear back by now? I strictly told guys it could take up to 6 weeks, blah blah. Whats your AMCAS ID?" Geez... then she told me I was going to be reviewed that night (3/22). Haven't heard yet though.

i say...a drink for every week that you've had to wait...if we end up as classmates, we'll buy each other drinks...if not, make one of your current friends treat you...for the non drinkers, please substitute "drink" with your preferred vice/indulgence...good plan, yeah?

ok, NOTHING in the mail AGAIN. what on EARTH is taking soo long? Was I even reviewed last week?? aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh shoot me now

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, NOTHING in the mail AGAIN. what on EARTH is taking soo long? Was I even reviewed last week?? aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh shoot me now

me too. i was told couple weeks ago that i was to be reviewed last thursday but nothing in the mail yet (and i live on west coast too). maybe tomorrow we'll get something in the mail.

has anyone heard anything today or last night?? no news on the east coast...

anyone get a call or letter today? Who has the balls to call the admissions office to find out whats going on?

I haven't received anything yet.. i'm going to wait until mid-next week before I call in to ask about my status. I'm very hopeful but I didn't feel my interview went very well.

I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck!

For some reason, I left my Stanford interview thinking that they would get it over with quick. And for some while, following this thread, it seemed like they were really moving forward week by week. But for some reason right when it got to the week of Feb. 12, the decisions haven't been coming out in a predictable way. Oh God, I'm just dying to hear something.

well guys, I finally got the letter today in Los Angeles (dated 3/23). I was rejected, just as I sensed. The rejection hurts, but the closure is good. I'll be checking out of this thread now, but I wish all of you the best of luck, and once again congrats to everyone who was accepted. Stanford is an amazing school, but I guess its not the one for me.

well guys, I finally got the letter today in Los Angeles (dated 3/23). I was rejected, just as I sensed. The rejection hurts, but the closure is good. I'll be checking out of this thread now, but I wish all of you the best of luck, and once again congrats to everyone who was accepted. Stanford is an amazing school, but I guess its not the one for me.

Hey chaldobruin, sorry to hear about that :( . Good luck with everything :luck: .

Hey chaldobruin, sorry to hear about that :( . Good luck with everything :luck: .

chaldobruin, i'm really sorry about the news. but having gotten an interview at stanford, i'm POSITIVE you have a ton of other amazing options. best of luck!

Just interviewed, now also waiting. Time to throw my money in with you lot.

Hey guys, I finally got a waitlist letter, dated 3/22. I'm really bummed, especially since I have no other acceptance (and no others will be coming since I've heard back from all the schools now). The letter didn't sound optimistic either. Well, good luck to all of you still waiting.

hey etngu,
sorry bout the waitlist but better than rejection. u still have a chance to come off of the waitlist. keep your hopes up but also keep options open to reapply next year? i'm kind of in the same situation too.. no acceptances yet and waiting to hear news from stanford. anyway, i have friends who reapplied and got accepted to many schools so if u really want to be a doctor, u will! good luck!

Thanks Orange,
I'm starting to plan for next year. For a long time I was denying the fact that I might have to re-apply, but at this point I'm on 3 waitlists and 0 acceptances. It really sucks, but there's nothing I can do now. I'm hoping you'll get into Stanford :thumbup: Also, I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about Stanford's waitlist, so if any of you know about how big it is, how many people usually come off, etc. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks Orange,
I'm starting to plan for next year. For a long time I was denying the fact that I might have to re-apply, but at this point I'm on 3 waitlists and 0 acceptances. It really sucks, but there's nothing I can do now. I'm hoping you'll get into Stanford :thumbup: Also, I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about Stanford's waitlist, so if any of you know about how big it is, how many people usually come off, etc. I would appreciate your help.

Hey man, sorry to hear that. Stanford does take people off the waitlist, so you still have a chance. Call up and see where you are.
Also, because the MCAT is given more often now, you may be able to retake it if you don't like your current one. Hire a professional advisor too, revamp personal statements etc. My two cents :) .

Hey durfen, thanks... I'm really trying to see how I can improve for next year. My numbers are more than enough (3.9, 38) I have research, volunteering, shadowing, student leadership, and good rec letters. But: 1) I have no publications, and I don't really know what the PI thinks of my research potential even though he always acts nice to me. 2) I feel like maybe the adcomms could tell that my volunteering was stuff that I wasn't really passionate about. 3) I think my PS and 2ndary essays were average quality; I'm not a great writer. 4) My professors told me they wrote amazing recs, but they could very well be BSing. 5) I finished 2ndaries in September, I guess that was late. 6) In the end I think I had a lot of simple f***in bad luck. So aside from re-writing my essays and doing some clinical or volunteering next year and submitting stuff as soon as possible, I don't think I can do much. I'd appreciate any comments. If anyone knows anything more about the Stanford waitlist, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks! :)

hey guys, i am sure the answer to the question i am about to post prolly is already there... sorry in advance :-(

when does admission committee meet? do they meet every friday and (usually) make a call on mondays??

thanks thanks!

hey guys, i am sure the answer to the question i am about to post prolly is already there... sorry in advance :-(

when does admission committee meet? do they meet every friday and (usually) make a call on mondays??

thanks thanks!

hi doughgirl,
the adcom meets on thursday afternoons. apparently most west coast interviewees who are accepted get calls thursday evenings and east coast on fridays or mondays but not everyone accepted seems to get calls? mail seems to arrive near end of following week.

btw, has anyone heard anything from last week's adcom review?

hi doughgirl,
the adcom meets on thursday afternoons. apparently most west coast interviewees who are accepted get calls thursday evenings and east coast on fridays or mondays but not everyone accepted seems to get calls? mail seems to arrive near end of following week.

btw, has anyone heard anything from last week's adcom review?

thanks so much orange24! i knew you guys are on top of this!!! thanks again! good luck to you :)

Do any of you guys have the US News data for how many acceptances Stanford gives out. I have the MSAR and it only lists the number that matriculated. Thanks! Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear...

Anyone know if there's a meeting this week?

Do any of you guys have the US News data for how many acceptances Stanford gives out. I have the MSAR and it only lists the number that matriculated. Thanks! Good luck to all of you still waiting to hear...

According to US News Stanford accepts around 150/year. I had (it just expired) a premium US News account for "The Best Medical Schools" section.

According to US News Stanford accepts around 150/year. I had (it just expired) a premium US News account for "The Best Medical Schools" section.
Thank you for that information! Also, do you happen to know (or does did it say in US News) how many of the 150 are initial acceptances and how many are from the waitlist? Thanks a lot.

hey guys. the rejection letter came today in the mail (dated 3/30. i interviewed last week of february). stanford was my first choice school by far and i really liked the program and the school but it wasn't in God's plans for me to be there. we'll see where i end up in the next few weeks.. still waiting to hear from other schools or i may have to reapply (late interviews) :scared:.

i wish the best for all you waiting. for the waitlisted ppl.. i heard 1/3 of the students matriculated off the waitlist last year.. now i don't know if that means 1/3 of the 85 ppl are from waitlist or 1/3 of the waitlisted ppl get accepted..

so i interviewed early march, anyone else?? i am expecting the worst, but it's so tempting to think that they will make a mistake.

waitlisted too. dunno when the letter was dated. but probably recent as the letter reached norcal today. mid-feb interview. it's going to be a pretty crummy wait until june.

please make a mistake

Hi everyone,

I've been checking this thread obsessively, so decided to plunge into the chat! I have 2 questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. How many people does Stanford interview? I heard from another applicant on my interview day that it's around 500, but since some other schools interview over 1000, I'm afraid to be too hopeful about this number.

2. Any idea from past threads when the Review Meetings end? There seems to be a backlog, but they have to tell people pretty soon since May 15 is in a month! I was told at my mid-March interview that I should have been reviewed yesterday...so, spending the long weekend by the phone...

Best wishes to those still waiting, and wait list = still a chance! :)

Hi everyone,

I've been checking this thread obsessively, so decided to plunge into the chat! I have 2 questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. How many people does Stanford interview? I heard from another applicant on my interview day that it's around 500, but since some other schools interview over 1000, I'm afraid to be too hopeful about this number.

2. Any idea from past threads when the Review Meetings end? There seems to be a backlog, but they have to tell people pretty soon since May 15 is in a month! I was told at my mid-March interview that I should have been reviewed yesterday...so, spending the long weekend by the phone...

Jonnie Perez told us that 500 - 550 people are interviewed each year; don't know how many exactly it was this year.

Were you told at your interview exactly when you'd be reviewed? Is there a way to find out if you've been reviewed or not?

Hi everyone,

1. I think the high estimate is 500. The % floating around here is anywhere from 33%-50% accept rate post-interview with a slightly less % for instate.

2. No idea when they end. It seems that it's been pretty consistent 4+ weeks with about equal amount of people hearing 3 weeks or 5 weeks later. I believe that they'll start speeding up as second look weekend approaches. My interview was sometime in the second full week of March and was told approx. the "first part" of April.

I don't know where to stay away from, my phone or my mailbox or my email.

Stanford has approximately 6000 applicants a year from which it interviews approximately 400-500. It ultimately offers acceptances to 120-150 students a year (the number varying in part due to the number of deferments from the year before, etc.).

I'm uncertain how the MSTP numbers affect the total. Stanford has an MSTP class of 8-10 a year which varies depending on how many acceptances they offer. My impression is that Stanford's yield on MSTP offers is close to 100% which means that for a class of 86, subtracting 10 MSTPers, there will be about 130-140 acceptances for a class of 76. I'm uncertain what fraction of those acceptances for the MD program go to unsuccessful MSTP applicants.

The good news is that if you were interviewed - you have an excellent chance of being accepted. Good luck!

So, I talked to an admissions person at Stanford today (about the wait list) and he told me that at this point they have no clue about how anyone ranks on the wait list. I was told that they will begin selecting candidates from the wait list AFTER May 15th and that if I want, I can call around that time to get a "rough" idea of where I stand. He also said that they take people off the wait list anytime between May 15th and the first week of August. He wasn't very friendly at all but he was indirectly informative, hehe. Hope this helps :cool:

So, when I interviewed, Jonnie told me about the First Alternate list, which is kind of like a high waitlist. Basically, if there is no spot in the class that year, that person automatically gets a spot in the next year's class. He said that they will most likely be doing that this year. Just wondering if he talked about this with anyone else?

wow, hadn't heard about the First Alternate list. any clue when these folks would find out if they're on it??

He made it sound like you would be notified of it in your decision (accepted, waitlist, rejection) if you were on it. Just so it's clear what I'm saying, basically, that you wouldn't hear that you were on the waitlist and then first alternate but that you would hear first alternate right off the bat. From talking to him, it also sounded like they hadn't started giving them out yet, which made me think they hadn't finished giving out acceptances yet. I interviewed pretty recently. I guess since they are interviewing all the way through April, that makes sense?

So, when I interviewed, Jonnie told me about the First Alternate list, which is kind of like a high waitlist. Basically, if there is no spot in the class that year, that person automatically gets a spot in the next year's class. He said that they will most likely be doing that this year. Just wondering if he talked about this with anyone else?

oh yea, i heard this from jonnie as well. it sounded like you will be notified that you are waitlisted and are placed on the first alternate list.

quick question for ya: is adcom super backlogged?? do you guys know which group of interviewees got reviewed this thursday?

thanks so much and good luck to you all!!!!!
:thumbup: