MA/MS State (and changing states) Licensure and Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allikat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting my MS in Michigan and will graduate next year with 45 credits, 750 practicum supervision hours, and completed BCBA supervision.

1. What can I do to get Oregon psychologist associate licensure? Will I have to take more classes/hours? (Is it advised to just stay in Michigan?)
2. What is the pay scale for MS psychologists in Oregon vs. Michigan?
3. What is the best paying state for beginning MS psychologists?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't offer insight into the pay-related questions, but RE: #1, your best bet will probably be to check Oregon's board of psychologist examiner's website and/or contact them directly. Here's what I was able to find on their education requirements for psychologist associate:

Education Requirements — Psychologist Associate
(1) To meet the education requirement of ORS 675.065(4)(c), an applicant must possess a master’s degree in psychology from a program at an institution of higher learning that was accredited by a regional accrediting agency at the graduate level as of the date the degree was awarded, or for Canadian universities, an institution of higher education that was provincially or territorially chartered.

(2) The master’s program must include at least 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of graduate credit, 30 quarter hours or 20 semester hours of which must be in graded (not "pass–no pass") courses. Hours must be from at least five of the basic areas of psychology including:

(a) Experimental psychology; Learning theory; Physiological psychology; Motivation; Perception; Comparative psychology; Statistical methods; Design of research; Developmental psychology; Individual differences; Social psychology; Organizational psychology; Personality theory; Abnormal psychology; and

(b) A minimum of one graduate level course in ethics; and

(c) A minimum of one graduate level course in psychological tests and measurements.

(3) If the master’s program does not meet the coursework requirements of (2), the applicant for licensure may remedy a deficiency of up to one course or 3 semester hours or 4.5 quarter hours by completing graduate level coursework in the deficient content area at a regionally accredited institution.

(4) Effective July 26, 2016: The master’s program must have included a minimum of one continuous year in-residence at the institution from which the degree is granted.

(a) One continuous year means two consecutive semesters or three consecutive quarters.

(b) In-residence means physical presence, in person, at an educational institution or training facility in a manner that facilitates acculturation into the profession, the full participation and integration of the individual in the educational and training experience, and includes faculty and student interaction.

(c) The master’s program may include distance education, but a minimum of one continuous year of the program shall be in-residence. Programs that use physical presence, including face-to-face contact for durations of less than one continuous year, (e.g., multiple long weekends and/or summer intensive sessions) or that use video teleconferencing or other electronic means as a substitute for physical presence at the institution do not meet the in-residence requirement.

No idea what the supervised practice hours requirement is, if any.