MA/MS State (and changing states) licensure/salary questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

allikat

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am getting my MS in Michigan and will graduate next year with 45 credits, 750 practicum supervision hours, and completed BCBA supervision.

1. What can I do to get Oregon psychologist associate licensure? Will I have to take more classes/hours? (Is it advised to just stay in Michigan?)
2. What is the pay scale for MS psychologists in Oregon vs. Michigan?
3. What is the best paying state for beginning MS psychologists?
 
There is no such thing as a masters level psychologist according to the Apa and most states.

In this case I am first referring to a Psychologist Associate "PsyA" licensure in Oregon, and Limited License Psychologist "LLP" licensure in Michigan. I am just hoping to know more about the state differences for MS level practitioners.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In this case I am first referring to a Psychologist Associate "PsyA" licensure in Oregon, and Limited License Psychologist "LLP" licensure in Michigan. I am just hoping to know more about the state differences for MS level practitioners.


1) then you know there's a masters level forum, where this question would be appropriate. This is the doctoral forum, which does not cover masters level stuff.

2) the apa defines psychologist as a doctoral level profession. You do not meet this criteria.

3) there's a reason different professions have different titles. It's misleading to equate one with another.
 
1) then you know there's a masters level forum, where this question would be appropriate. This is the doctoral forum, which does not cover masters level stuff.

2) the apa defines psychologist as a doctoral level profession. You do not meet this criteria.

3) there's a reason different professions have different titles. It's misleading to equate one with another.


I apologize, I just joined and did not realize there was a masters level forum
 
The short answer is that psychologists are licensed to practice independently at the doctoral level. MI and a couple other states (most are grandfather clauses) allow limited practice. Trying to relocate to another state and practice independently is most likely not a viable option without further formal training.

In some instances you may be able to qualify for a mid-level licensure (counseling/mental health counseling), though that will probably require some additional classes and possibly supervision. You'd need to call the state psych licensing board of the applicable state and get an answer from the horse's mouth. You'll probably need to talk with whatever board handled the other licensures too.