This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmilan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm an IMG applying to retake Step 2 CS in June 2017. My original plan was to take the exam in Chicago, since I failed CS in Philly last year (ICE part). But I realised that there's no available dates in Chicago, so the only options that are left are Philly, LA, Atlanta.

Can anyone help me with my decision where should I take the exam. Is a retake in Philly a bad idea?? :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

The Center does not matter. I know many IMGs who passed in Philly without any problem. Improve your ICE skills. Read FA and be able to come up with 3-4 differentials as soon as you see the doorsheet, Then you have to know what ask to rule in/ out these differentials and you have to know what Physical exams you´ll have to do.
Last thing: Practice via Skype or live and practice writing the note using the online template form with all cases of FA.

If you follow these steps there is no way to fail the exam. Don´t go there thinking it´s just about speaking english and beeing nice.

The Center does not matter. I know many IMGs who passed in Philly without any problem. Improve your ICE skills. Read FA and be able to come up with 3-4 differentials as soon as you see the doorsheet, Then you have to know what ask to rule in/ out these differentials and you have to know what Physical exams you´ll have to do.
Last thing: Practice via Skype or live and practice writing the note using the online template form with all cases of FA.

If you follow these steps there is no way to fail the exam. Don´t go there thinking it´s just about speaking english and beeing nice.

Thanks so much for your advice, I appreciate it! Tbh, I'm not so much worried about ICE part (I know what went wrong there, more-less), but I'm worried about CIS part, which I also did with lower performance, and I really have no idea why was that so, thus I'm so confused. SEP was high performance.

Just be super nice to everyone and practive how to answer the challenging questions. there are good vids on youtube. You have to follow a certain pattern It is important to be consistent. So be super nice to every single patient.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be super nice to everyone and practive how to answer the challenging questions. there are good vids on youtube. You have to follow a certain pattern It is important to be consistent. So be super nice to every single patient.

Well, I was extremely nice to everyone, pretty much did everything "by the book" there, I was surprised that 1 or 2 patients were a bit rude, maybe that was a part of the script, but that made me more insecure and even confused. I think I was more nervous than I've ever been, guess I just have to find a way to boost my self-esteem.

Practice live ( or skype if live is not possible) to see how others are doing it. When you practive with 3-4 people you will be much calmer and you will get a feeling for how others behave. And there are videos of 12 encounters online from a company. Additionally look at the youtube videos of a girl named laura ... . She has a vlog about her cs studying