Stock market 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s appears that the CCP is willing to sabotage their own markets and discourage foreign investment in order to maintain power and control.
The Largest Chinese Tech/Internet companies are on sale. They are trading at 1/3 the valuations of USA companies. Yes, they don't deserve the same valuation but are they buys? If China reverses course you can make big money (double your money) in 2 years on these stocks. Or, they could be worth 1/2 today's price if China squeezes them even more.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Members don't see this ad :)
About 5-6% of my entire portfolio is invested in Chinese Companies. If i had conviction about China, the CCP, I would add to my positions. Instead, I am NOT taking on any more risk regarding China and Chinese ADRs. I will likely hold my positions for now but for me China seems like an investment to avoid. That said, the reddit crowd, robinhood traders are starting to take an interest in it. The same crowd buying Gamestop, AMC, etc is willing to buy the discounted Chinese Tech giants.

1627582383021.png

I guess this thread is now wsb
No it’s not. I’m pointing out the risks and the benefits of Chinese stocks. I didn’t folllow them closely until they collapsed this week.

will anyone be buying Robinhood tomorrow? Again, this isn’t Wallstreet bets as I don’t do options trading. I look for long term investments which will double over 2-3 years.

The USA market is very overbought and investing overseas makes sense at these valuations. But, overseas means any country except China and Russia. Even Vietnam is acceptable.

I was just kidding. I do think that it's a good time to buy but risky.
Alibaba, Tencent, JD.com and a few others are screaming buys right now if, and I stress if, the CCP leaves these companies alone from further regulations and fines. Right now the Cathy Wood's of the world are dumping Chinese stocks and more money managers may follow in the coming weeks.

Earnings have been good for the big tech stocks. Only Facebook seemed a bit weak in their forecast but Google, Amazon and Apple all looked solid so the market should keep going up.

The S&P and the DJIA hit another record today.

And on Main Street, it turns out that you can reduce the poverty rate by giving money to poor people.

CF90C006-D3E3-4C36-8D03-38A1AF909B19.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
No it’s not. I’m pointing out the risks and the benefits of Chinese stocks. I didn’t folllow them closely until they collapsed this week.

will anyone be buying Robinhood tomorrow? Again, this isn’t Wallstreet bets as I don’t do options trading. I look for long term investments which will double over 2-3 years.

Your screenshot in the prior post is an option contract position…

But setting that aside, I would urge you and anyone else who is thinking about investing in these Chinese companies to read up on how they’re actually listed on the US stock exchanges. The CCP heavily restricts foreign investments in certain Chinese industries, so many of these companies have been listed on foreign stock exchanges through holding companies (or variable interest entities). This means you have zero equity or ownership of the actual company. The CCP can decide overnight that it doesn’t want any US investors and you’ll see your shares go to zero even though the company itself is doing just fine. The recent crackdown should be a warning signal, not a buying one.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Tencent's video games are called "spiritual opium" by the government. Stock drops by 7%.

Who is going to win the opium war??

They are. Tens of thousands of Americans OD every year on street Fentanyl made mostly in China.

Tencent's video games are called "spiritual opium" by the government. Stock drops by 7%.

Who is going to win the opium war? USA against real opium, or China against virtual opium?
Jim Cramer says don't go near the big Chinese tech companies. Typically, he gets these major trends wrong and his "avoid signal" means we are near a bottom. The market sentiment in these names is as negative as ever so if you are a long term investor (3+ years) the returns look solid at these prices.

A little bit of bitcoin in the 1-2% range of your portfolio is probably fine. But, once Crypto goes above 5% the volatility of that portfolio increases dramatically.

1628077355728.png

Probably a lot of money to be made trading this stock. The valuation is too high for me but Cathie Wood owns $135 million worth of Robinhood.
I bought in at 33 last week. Going to go long on this one. It’s a tech stock that is really the first of its kind and is backed by major hedge funds, unlikely those funds will allow the company to collapse.

I bought in at 33 last week. Going to go long on this one. It’s a tech stock that is really the first of its kind and is backed by major hedge funds, unlikely those funds will allow the company to collapse.
What does Robinhood do for their customers that etrade, fidelity or the others can't do? What is their moat?

What does Robinhood do for their customers that etrade, fidelity or the others can't do? What is their moat?
Some say it democratized trading for the masses, but in all honesty I think it democratized stupidity for the masses and opened up outrageous risk. These are not necessarily good things but that doesn’t mean it wont be profitable, which is really all you should care about in an investment.

I've got a swing trading algorithm set up screening for Heikin-Ashi, MA Cross and Stochastic Crossover signals on a particular group of stocks and it flagged me about SEDG and I noticed earnings were coming up. Bought 50K and made 20% overnight when it surged after market a few days ago after earnings. Def more of a gamble swing trade but I didn't complain!

• Haha
I've got a swing trading algorithm set up screening for Heikin-Ashi, MA Cross and Stochastic Crossover signals on a particular group of stocks and it flagged me about SEDG and I noticed earnings were coming up. Bought 50K and made 20% overnight when it surged after market a few days ago after earnings. Def more of a gamble swing trade but I didn't complain!

Nice!

60% of the time, it works every time.

20% of my portfolio is tied/correlated heavily with the S and P 500 or Russel 1000. Doze convinced me years ago that resistance to the market was futile and a losers game. I now ride the wave of low cost investing with ETFs for my domestic equities. I do get exposure to foreign equities using mutual funds but even that may be a futile exercise.

My best gains have been Large cap growth and technology. No surprise there.

20% of my portfolio is tied/correlated heavily with the S and P 500 or Russel 1000. Doze convinced me years ago that resistance to the market was futile and a losers game. I now ride the wave of low cost investing with ETFs for my domestic equities. I do get exposure to foreign equities using mutual funds but even that may be a futile exercise.

My best gains have been Large cap growth and technology. No surprise there.
Large cap has proven itself over time.
I agree.

Large cap has proven itself over time.
I agree.
If there is one thing I could see posing a systemic risk besides crypto, it would be the automated buying of large market- cap "growth" plays (like Tesla) as they get lumped into market cap weighted ETF'S and their valuations skyrocket relative to earnings. That seems to me as though it could undergo a major reset. Could a tilt toward dividend plays be a hedge?

Reactions: 2 users
If there is one thing I could see posing a systemic risk besides crypto, it would be the automated buying of large market- cap "growth" plays (like Tesla) as they get lumped into market cap weighted ETF'S and their valuations skyrocket relative to earnings. That seems to me as though it could undergo a major reset. Could a tilt toward dividend plays be a hedge?

once a stock like Tesla is in an index, it is included in those ETFs, but they don't have to buy more as it increases in price as their own holdings of it increase along with it. Their buys and sells simply go along with inflows/outflows from the fund.

If anyone would like to join our trading discord please PM me!

Vanguard
Highlights: Nominal U.S. equity-market returns in the 3.7%-5.7% range during the next decade; 7%-9% returns for non-U.S. equities; 0.75%-1.75% expected returns for U.S. fixed income (December 2020).
Whereas most of the firms ratcheted their equity return expectations downward from where they were at the outset of 2020, Vanguard maintained the same general return targets in its forecast for 2021 and beyond that it did last year. The headline is that the firm is expecting better performance from non-U.S. equities than U.S. equities over the next decade, mainly owing to foreign stocks’ lower valuations and higher dividend yields. Vanguard is also expecting value stocks to outperform growth.

BlackRock
Highlights: 5% 10-year expected nominal return from U.S. equities, 7% 10-year average expected return from European equities, 6.4% average expected return from emerging markets equities, 0.8% for U.S. aggregate bonds (September 2020). All return assumptions are nominal (non-inflation-adjusted).

Morningstar Investment Management (forthcoming in Morningstar Markets Observer)
Highlights: Negative 0.1% 10-year nominal returns for U.S. stocks; 1% 10-year nominal returns for U.S. aggregate bonds (Dec. 31, 2020).

I own VIG. I highly recommend a solid, dividend focused ETF but one that stays the course with blue chip stocks.

1630259080785.png

The S&P/Case-Shiller index, which measures home prices across 20 major U.S. cities, rose 1.77% in June, bringing the year-over-year gain to a staggering 19.1%, the largest in the series history going back to 1987.

For perspective, the biggest annual gain in prices prior to the subprime meltdown and 2008 financial crisis was the 14.4% increase in September 2005.

At the same time, the Conference Board reported that consumer inflation expectations ticked higher again, with respondents to the survey now seeing the metric running at 6.8% 12 months from now. That’s up a full percentage point from a year ago, or 17.2% on a relative basis.

The market will get a good look Friday when the Labor Department releases its nonfarm payrolls report along with a reading on average hourly earnings. Wage-price inflation is what scares the Fed the most, and there is concern that the central bank is being too complacent about the various factors converging that could fuel “bad” inflation.

“Energy, food, and rent are the most visible forms of inflation. Persistent increases in these items will eventually lead to higher inflation expectations, and the Fed will have a problem,” wrote Joseph F. Kalish, chief global macro strategist at Ned Davis Research. “My biggest fear is that complacency gives way to concern, and that low interest rates suddenly surge, prompting a reaction from Fed officials.”

At the same time, the Conference Board reported that consumer inflation expectations ticked higher again, with respondents to the survey now seeing the metric running at 6.8% 12 months from now.

consumers are not very smart when it comes to predicting inflation

A big risk for 2022 is inflation. This will force the FED to raise interest rates, slash QE and create a worse environment for equities. The risk for low level stagflation is real. Home prices won't go down because the cost of materials/goods remain high and the dollar is worth less.

The longtime trader said price pressures will continue to rise in the coming months. Inflation ran at a fresh 30-year high in September amid supply chain disruptions and extraordinarily strong demand.

The core personal consumption expenditures price index, which is the Fed’s preferred measure of inflation, increased 0.3% in August and was up 3.6% from a year ago.

“It’s absolutely dead for a 60/40 portfolio, for a long stock, long bond portfolio. So the real question is how you defend yourselves against it,” Jones said.

Last edited:

“The big argument right now is how much inflation are we going to get and how permanent will it be,” said James Angel, associate professor of finance at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business.

Signs of cost push inflation, which is marked by increases in production costs, are cropping up now, just as they did in the 1970s, Angel said.

On top of that, there has been both monetary and fiscal stimulus heaped on the economy. That in itself is going to be inflationary, Angel said.

“We need to buckle up our seat belts,” Angel said. “Inflation is here. It’s real.”

Financial advisors who landed on this year’s CNBC Financial Advisor 100 list say inflation is a top issue in their work with clients. For many of those clients, it is as much emotional as it is financial.

• The stock market's strong gains so far this year are unlikely to see a repeat in 2022, BofA said in a note on Friday.
  • Rising interest rates represent the third "shock" that will cause a surge in volatility and ding stock prices, according to the note.
  • "We are on the cusp of a policy pivot from pro-growth to anti-inflation," BofA said.
2022 is shaping up to be a difficult year for the stock market as the Federal Reserve prepares to make a policy pivot, Bank of America said in a note on Friday.
Investors shouldn't expect the near 20% year-to-date gains in stocks repeat next year due to a "rates shock" that will occur when the Fed is forced to raise interest rates sooner than expected, according to the note.
Rising interest rates will represent the third "shock" investors have had to deal with over the past three years. While a growth shock turned stocks into winners in 2020, an inflation shock this year led to a surge in commodity prices, which will make it even more difficult for the Fed to avoid making a policy change next year, according to BofA.
"Bear case is pandemic ending and so is $30 trillion of emergency policy stimulus," BofA said, referencing the liquidity provided by global central banks since the pandemic began. The bank pointed to three catalysts that give it confidence the Fed will raise interest rates next year instead of waiting until 2023 like most investors expect.

1. "Powell re-nomination triggers more hawkish Fed rhetoric." Jerome Powell's current term as Fed Chairman ends in February.
2. "Payroll recovers," meaning the economy no longer needs near-zero interest rates as stimulus.
3. "Wage and rent inflation remains elevated," which can be combated with higher interest rates.
"We are on the cusp of a policy pivot from pro-growth to anti-inflation, [and a] policy mistake has already happened," BofA said, inferring that the Fed is behind the curve and should have already been reducing its stimulus programs.
The Fed has signaled that it plans to end its $120 billion monthly bond buying program by the middle of next year with a monthly tapering.

But despite the bleak outlook for 2022, investors shouldn't sell their stocks just yet.
Instead, investors should wait to sell stock after an expected year-end rally due to already bearish investor positioning. "More bearish Wall St positioning reflects concerns [about] inflation and China, [which] supports a typical year-end rally. We say sell it," BofA said.
Read more: 'History repeats itself': The manager of an inflation-focused ETF breaks down why she thinks stagflation is the 'biggest threat' to investors - despite Wall Street saying fears are overhyped