My dog, a beagle, simply cannot be trusted to be home alone. He will get bored and decide to investigate something, anything, and before we get home, even if it's only been 15 minutes, he will have made a mess of the house. I used to think it was him looking for food, so I have since made sure nothing edible is ever in doggie reach, but now he just goes and climbs onto the bookshelves and pulls out DVDs and bags of random crap.
My father in law moved in with us a few months ago, and really didn't believe that the dog couldn't be trusted (he loves my dog to death and spoils him more than I do!), so every couple of days he would "test" him by leaving him alone for a few minutes, and every time my dog would make a mess. My father in law still tests him every once in a while, but not as often anymore.
Also, this dog does the thing with re-arranging the bed. He goes crazy if there are wrinkles in his blanket and will try to dig them out, etc, for a looonnng time! Same thing if he is sleeping in our bed (which I am guilty of letting him do when my husband is out of town), but he has to have it just right before he can lay down. He'll also rub the top of his head all over the blanket, which is a very funny sight to see.
I call him my baby sometimes, but mostly the human terms are between my husband and myself (ie - "Look what your son has done now!").