Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish I could take this thread seriously but I only take lifting advice from Jason Genova and Dom Mazzetti.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I wish I could take this thread seriously but I only take lifting advice from Jason Genova and Dom Mazzetti.
Lifting is a journey that starts with feelings of inadequacy, and ends with feelings of inadequacy. Except now you can't fit through doors.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
my friend said he literally just takes a table spoon of it and eats it straight up lol lol lol.... I'll probably cook my veggies in it

Woah really? That's kinda dope... except if he gets indigestion and diarrhea then I'll pass lol.

On the flip side though, cooking wise you have to pay attention to the smoke point with oils because coconut isn't good at high temps. And then it'll be like taking supplements for things you're not deficient in: you'll just be pissing money. I'd go with mixing coconut oil, cooking with avocado oil. Regardless, that **** is top f*cking tier in any department. Hair, skin, teeth... It's lit.

This thread is awesome! I was straight up obese for a loooong time up until about a year or so ago. I've lost about 100 lbs so far and also have a BS in human performance / minor in BIO.

If any of you guys have any specific questions about losing a significant amount of weight and doing it in a HEALTHY way feel free to ask!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Any protein recommendations as far as Whey goes? I have gone with Gold Standard for the majority of my lifting experience but after seeing a couple of you guys name drop some particularly bad protein brands I'm just wondering what is a tried and true brand most people use?

Also been using casein protein mostly because there was a steal at GNC. I also realized I tend to drink shakes at night before bed anyway so I am wondering if casein would be my best bet. General whey vs. casein pros and cons.

Good thread!

Any protein recommendations as far as Whey goes? I have gone with Gold Standard for the majority of my lifting experience but after seeing a couple of you guys name drop some particularly bad protein brands I'm just wondering what is a tried and true brand most people use?

Also been using casein protein mostly because there was a steal at GNC. I also realized I tend to drink shakes at night before bed anyway so I am wondering if casein would be my best bet. General whey vs. casein pros and cons.

Good thread!

I've been buying MyProtein. The quality is good and it's pretty cheap.

Yeah I've seen some NF that would definitely fall into the 'not beautiful' category.

It's like how Some people ENJOY obsessively saving their money so they can see those numbers increasing overtime, some might consider that fun, others not so much. Neither person is right or wrong.
No, the person not saving money is wrong. :laugh:

First, you can devolve any sport or activity to sound as simple and dumb as that. Baseball is hitting a ball with a piece of wood, video games are hitting a few buttons while you stare at a screen, etc. I'm sure you know there is more to lifting than that, so no reason to try and make it sound like less than it is just because YOU don't enjoy it. I find that counterproductive and frankly immature.

Second, Different people can enjoy it for different reasons. Some simply love pushing themselves and seeing the progress overtime as they become stronger, they see those numbers go up, see the changes in the mirror and feel the changes in their everyday lives. It's like how Some people ENJOY obsessively saving their money so they can see those numbers increasing overtime, some might consider that fun, others not so much. Neither person is right or wrong. Some people enjoy lifting because they like being able to keep trying out different/new routines and techniques and supplements (safely and after ample background research) and seeing the results (my electrical engineering friend LOVES lifting largely for this reason.) Some like how lifting makes them feel (brain chemistry wise.) Some like perfecting the harder, more complex exercises like olympic lifts which take a combination of coordination, balance, speed and power (this would be your more "classically sport-like" area.) Some people like to compete, either in actual competitions or more often simply with their friends (me and my lifting buddy had a great back and forth going throughout college.) Some people want to pack on as much mass as they can so that they can eat more food without getting fat. Most people have more than one reason for why they enjoy lifting (for example, most of these apply to me personally.)

Third, my most important point is that different people are entitled to enjoy different things. What I can't understand is how you can't understand how different people may enjoy different things from you. Never met anyone who disliked a food you like or vice-versa? Everyone you know enjoy all of the same things as you? There are plenty of activities I can't imagine myself ever enjoying but that doesn't mean I feel the need to go around questioning the people who DO enjoy and act like it's dumb to like the activity just because I don't. There's nothing wrong with you not liking lifting, just go do what you DO like and let people who like lifting continue lifting.
You really didn't need to try to convince me that it's okay for some people to enjoy lifting, I explicitly said in my post that I enjoy lifting. The only point I'm trying to make is that it frequently becomes an unhealthy obsession at which point its "fitness" aspect is often abandoned.

Good point about devolving lifting though, that wasn't fair of me and I suppose that could be done for a lot of sports

Reactions: 1 users

Good thread!
Optimum is the best in my opinion. There are some cheaper brands you can get online that are good quality (like true nutrition) But you can never go wrong with ON Gold standard whey.

There is some evidence to support the idea that Casein is good for a nighttime protein shake (since it is slowly absorbed by the body and therefore will keep you from entering a catabolic state as you fast overnight)

100% whey is fast digesting and better for post workout and morning shakes.

Plus, casein tends to be thicker and chalkier than whey since it's basically straight milk protein. I prefer whey since it's more drinkable and i'm not particularly worried about losing my gains while I sleep.

I know that gym bootay is awesome, but focusing helps a lot in squats. I like to just focus on pretending I'm sitting down, keeping my heels to the ground, and neck straight (looking forward or looking up a bit). Are you doing a wider stance? I know them power dudes like doing a wider stance.
My stance is shoulder width, maybe slightly narrower. I was gonna try and go a liiiiiitle bit wider, but I don't wanna go too wide since the OLY shoes make it awkward to go out past shoulder width

Members don't see this ad :)
You really didn't need to try to convince me that it's okay for some people to enjoy lifting, I explicitly said in my post that I enjoy lifting. The only point I'm trying to make is that it frequently becomes an unhealthy obsession at which point its "fitness" aspect is often abandoned.

Good point about devolving lifting though, that wasn't fair of me and I suppose that could be done for a lot of sports
I would argue that once you depart from the health aspect of it for purely muscle size (like current Bodybuilding Pros) you move out of the "fitness" category into a new category.

I don't include people like that in "fitness"

Good thread!
I agree with the ON Gold recommendation. Many years ago, consumer reports did a neat article on contamination in protein drinks and ON Gold was found to be pretty reliable. There are purer proteins out there like ON Platinum, but at much higher cost.

It's been around for millennia
"Thus sayeth the prophet, ' go forth and lift hard for 30 seconds, then rest for 2 minutes. Do this again until you achieve greatness as did hercules before you' and so we did, and were righteously blessed with shredz and gainz from our lord and savior Zeus, son of Odin"
- actual passage from the Rosetta Stone

Reactions: 3 users
"Thus sayeth the prophet, ' go forth and lift hard for 30 seconds, then rest for 2 minutes. Do this again until you achieve greatness as did hercules before you' and so we did, and were righteously blessed with shredz and gainz from our lord and savior Zeus, son of Odin"
- actual passage from the Rosetta Stone

Funny, but the Greeks used HIIT a lot.

I know! they invented dumbbells and progressive resistance if i'm not mistaken.

That explains why none of their togas had sleeves....
75033787.jpg

I know! they invented dumbbells and progressive resistance if i'm not mistaken.

That explains why none of their togas had sleeves....
Helios out guns out?

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with the ON Gold recommendation. Many years ago, consumer reports did a neat article on contamination in protein drinks and ON Gold was found to be pretty reliable. There are purer proteins out there like ON Platinum, but at much higher cost.
Prices have gone up over the years. I remember buying my whey (5 pounds), pre-workout, and BCAAs with only 100 bucks. ON has always been the legit protein. Muscle Milk back then had lead in their stuff.

Good thread!

I've been buying MyProtein. The quality is good and it's pretty cheap.

Optimum is the best in my opinion. There are some cheaper brands you can get online that are good quality (like true nutrition) But you can never go wrong with ON Gold standard whey.

There is some evidence to support the idea that Casein is good for a nighttime protein shake (since it is slowly absorbed by the body and therefore will keep you from entering a catabolic state as you fast overnight)

100% whey is fast digesting and better for post workout and morning shakes.

Plus, casein tends to be thicker and chalkier than whey since it's basically straight milk protein. I prefer whey since it's more drinkable and i'm not particularly worried about losing my gains while I sleep.

Prices have gone up over the years. I remember buying my whey (5 pounds), pre-workout, and BCAAs with only 100 bucks. ON has always been the legit protein. Muscle Milk back then had lead in their stuff.

IDK how legit the company is, but LabDoor supposedly analyzes various supplements for quality and compiles a list of the most pure.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

MyProtein tops the list, ON natural whey gets a C+ and ON Gold Standard gets a C. I've stuck with Gold Standard for years now though, love the stuff.

IDK how legit the company is, but LabDoor supposedly analyzes various supplements for quality and compiles a list of the most pure.

MyProtein tops the list, ON natural whey gets a C+ and ON Gold Standard gets a C. I've stuck with Gold Standard for years now though, love the stuff.

I'd like to see their ranking criteria, all I care about is high quality protein without fillers. I could care less about creatine, BCAAS or whatever other junk they put in..

I agree, ON is the best in my book forever.

Posted this in the other thread, it belongs here:

For getting in shape, I'd like to strongly recommend Leangains.com. Check it out, it's especially suitable for Med students as it's a minimalist philosophy. Intermittent Fasting is optional, but if you're up for it it can be a wonderful tool because it saves time and makes life simple, and more enjoyable to boot. There's a whole lotta BS in the fitness industry, Leangains.com (especially its most famous article which I cannot name because of its vulgarity) is a must-read. You'll learn a lot and keep your head straight.

I'd like to see their ranking criteria, all I care about is high quality protein without fillers. I could care less about creatine, BCAAS or whatever other junk they put in..

I agree, ON is the best in my book forever.

As far as I know LabDoor is legit. But the way the weigh different aspects may vary from yours. Both MyProtein and ON have a similar concentration of protein MyProtein(76.9%), ON(74.1%).

They have a reddit account that usually answers questions. Here are the tests they say they use for test proteins:

Testing methods: We use different methods for each category. For example, here's our list of tests (with methods) used in our protein rankings: Fat (AOAC), Cholesterol (GC), Total Sugar (AOAC), Protein (Kjeldahl Nitrogen), Total Amino Acid Profile (HPLC), Free Amino Acid Profile (HPLC), Calcium (ICP), Sodium (ICP), Heavy Metals (Ag, As, Bi, Cd, Pb, Sb, Sn by ICP).

Is there anybody here that doesn't lift lol, Its not that I don't want to lift, I actually want to, but that section of the gym always has all these muscular dudes (All of you guys!) and I'm this skinny girl with no upper body strength so it's kinda intimidating. Plus I don't know how to use any of the equipment over there so I'm gonna look like a complete idiot lol

But does anyone have thoughts on using pre workout for running? I know a lot of the lifters here use it, I personally love using it before a run, but I've heard mixed views online that it's bad for runners. I heard since running itself increases your heart rate and pre workout also increases heart rate, then together its dangerous. But I love my C4, maybe I could just use it 2-3 x a week instead of everyday?

Reactions: 2 users

Nice, didn't realize this site existed. I might give myprotein a shot considering my current bucket is running low. ON just tastes so good though... It really has gone up in price recently though :\

Hey! I know what you mean about gyms being intimidating. I'm also a small girl and if it weren't for my dad taking me to lift since jr high, it would have been really hard to get started. I think it's really good cross training though! There's lots of helpful information about how to use the equipment online, and it's always great to have another lady in the gym! I mainly rock climb and distance run now but I lift to build overall strength and prevent (more) injuries.

I don't know about preworkout for running. Maybe it depends some on the type of running? I am more about carbs for running....And climbing...And lifting...Maybe I'm just generally about carbs in life lol.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled protein supplement discussions.
Is there anybody here that doesn't lift lol, Its not that I don't want to lift, I actually want to, but that section of the gym always has all these muscular dudes (All of you guys!) and I'm this skinny girl with no upper body strength so it's kinda intimidating. Plus I don't know how to use any of the equipment over there so I'm gonna look like a complete idiot lol

But does anyone have thoughts on using pre workout for running? I know a lot of the lifters here use it, I personally love using it before a run, but I've heard mixed views online that it's bad for runners. I heard since running itself increases your heart rate and pre workout also increases heart rate, then together its dangerous. But I love my C4, maybe I could just use it 2-3 x a week instead of everyday?

Last edited:

Honestly nobody at the gym cares what you're doing. All of us were beginners at some point. I'm a guy so maybe I can't completely relate but reddit has a sub for women's fitness. Here's the link if you're interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/

As for the caffeine. I sometimes take caffeine before early morning cardio. There are studies saying that caffeine can improve endurance for cardio.

As for the caffeine. I sometimes take caffeine before early morning cardio. There are studies saying that caffeine can improve endurance for cardio.
I just pound a cup of coffee before a run. It basically puts me in 'ticking time bomb' mode so I have to run faster to make it back home

I lift to get crazy bis / tris to flex when I eventually put scrubs on.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you personally aren't noticing any adverse effects. I used to take pre-workout before every workout, but I've been trying to cut back a bit. If you want an alternative, look into caffeine pills. They're pretty cheap these days(I use kaged).

Hey! I know what you mean about gyms being intimidating. I'm also a small girl and if it weren't for my dad taking me to lift since jr high, it would have been really hard to get started. I think it's really good cross training though! There's lots of helpful information about how to use the equipment online, and it's always great to have another lady in the gym! I mainly rock climb and distance run now but I lift to build overall strength and prevent (more) injuries.

I don't know about preworkout for running. Maybe it depends some on the type of running? I am more about carbs for running....And climbing...And lifting...Maybe I'm just generally about carbs in life lol.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled protein supplement discussions.

Thats true, maybe I'll just casually walk past the equipment and take a glance at what they have and then just try to find it online to figure out how they work. There has to be some site online that explains how to use every kind of gym equipment. And that's SO awesome that you rock climb! It looks like so much fun, but I heard if you're not used to it then your arms will be on fire 30 mins in haha I think I'm gonna seriously look into that though because I was planning to try it but completely forgot about it until now. And I think rock climbing centers would have intro and beginners classes so I can avoid looking like a tool :D

@iamfar thanks! I've actually never used Reddit, I'll check it out

Does anyone have thoughts on using pre workout for running? I know a lot of the lifters here use it, I personally love using it before a run, but I've heard mixed views online that it's bad for runners. I heard since running itself increases your heart rate and pre workout also increases heart rate, then together its dangerous. But I love my C4, maybe I could just use it 2-3 x a week instead of everyday?
I don't know if I'd recommend pre workout specifically, but caffeine (e.g. through coffee or caffeine pills) has a ton of benefits for long-distance running:
-upregulates beta oxidation and downregulates glycolysis, which is important for sustained cardio (and helps you lose fat if that's your goal). This essentially prevents you from hitting "the wall" in very long runs (e.g. marathons)
-improves mental state; releases endorphins and makes you feel like you're exerting less effort even with the same energy output
-enhances neuromuscular coordination (read: more efficient body movements)
-improves heat tolerance if you're running in a warm environment
-improves recovery after running

With that said, there's really not much of a point in taking caffeine every time you run; 2-3 times per week (maybe 4), as you suggested, would be a good option.
I just pound a cup of coffee before a run. It basically puts me in 'ticking time bomb' mode so I have to run faster to make it back home
What do you mean by 'ticking time bomb' mode? Are you referring to a crash? That shouldn't be a problem since the half life of caffeine is around 5.5 hours for most people, so it should be able to hold you all the way through an entire marathon at the very least. Unless you're referring to your bladder and caffeine's diuretic effects as the ticking time bomb, which also shouldn't be the case unless you're consuming 500-600 mg of caffeine or more, at which point hydration imbalances can start to occur.

What do you mean by 'ticking time bomb' mode? Are you referring to a crash? That shouldn't be a problem since the half life of caffeine is around 5.5 hours for most people, so it should be able to hold you all the way through an entire marathon at the very least. Unless you're referring to your bladder and caffeine's diuretic effects as the ticking time bomb, which also shouldn't be the case unless you're consuming 500-600 mg of caffeine or more, at which point hydration imbalances can start to occur.
It was quite literally toilet humor. Just ignore me.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know if I'd recommend pre workout specifically, but caffeine (e.g. through coffee or caffeine pills) has a ton of benefits for long-distance running:
-upregulates beta oxidation and downregulates glycolysis, which is important for sustained cardio (and helps you lose fat if that's your goal). This essentially prevents you from hitting "the wall" in very long runs (e.g. marathons)
-improves mental state; releases endorphins and makes you feel like you're exerting less effort even with the same energy output
-enhances neuromuscular coordination (read: more efficient body movements)
-improves heat tolerance if you're running in a warm environment
-improves recovery after running

With that said, there's really not much of a point in taking caffeine every time you run; 2-3 times per week (maybe 4), as you suggested, would be a good option.

Interesting... how much caffeine do you think I should take though? Like the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee? The pre workout I take has 135mg, I think that's like a cup and a half of coffee, I'm 130 lb's and I never drink coffee so I'm thinking the 135mg is maybe too high?

Also, could you elaborate on why you think there's no point in taking caffeine on every run?

Poop. He means ticking time bomb to poop.

Source: been there.

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting... how much caffeine do you think I should take though? Like the equivalent of 1 cup of coffee? The pre workout I take has 135mg, I think that's like a cup and a half of coffee, I'm 130 lb's and I never drink coffee so I'm thinking the 135mg is maybe too high?

Also, could you elaborate on why you think there's no point in taking caffeine on every run?

Hey! I'm a girl (about 130) and I take C4 before all my workouts. I do distance runs and lift a little too. I think it makes my HR a little faster but I'm fine with that...I work out in the mornings so it just gets me up and excited for my workouts so I push harder :) 1.5 cups of coffee's worth of caffeine isn't that much imo and it just does double duty because then I don't need to drink coffee later in the morning.

Also you should try lifting; it definitely makes me feel stronger and a better runner. Free weights are less intimidating and you could start with basic exercises like bench/row.

Do you have any advice for someone on a low carb high fat diet?

I am in my late 30's, and I've consistently gained weight over the past 6 years or so, just a few lbs a year, but it's added up. I was already quite active and my diet wasn't horrible, I ate pretty clean and didn't drink soft drinks, ect. When I would cut calories, I would be so hungry and I could never sick to it long enough to lose weight.

So I gained 8lbs in a month this fall, probably has something to do with applying to need school... anyway, I panicked and contacted friends I knew had lost weight and kept if off and they had done something along the lines of LCHF, to I dove in and lost 18lbs since the end of October.

I think I could stand to lose 20 more lbs to get to a weight I'd be really happy with, (honestly I'm just thrilled to see my weight go down instead of continue to climb!) and i believe I'll continue to lose it slowly as I have been, but I want to stay healthy and active in med school next year.

Do you have advice for maintaining weight lost in this manner during med school?

I think it's crucial i stay active because of my age. I've picked up running and have worked up to a 5K and plan to have that be my main cardio. I go to resistance training and yoga classes at the y, and hope to find similar classes during med school, or start a lifting regime if i can't.

Thanks for such an awesome thread. We future docs need to take care of ourselves!

Do you have any advice for someone on a low carb high fat diet?

I am in my late 30's, and I've consistently gained weight over the past 6 years or so, just a few lbs a year, but it's added up. I was already quite active and my diet wasn't horrible, I ate pretty clean and didn't drink soft drinks, ect. When I would cut calories, I would be so hungry and I could never sick to it long enough to lose weight.

So I gained 8lbs in a month this fall, probably has something to do with applying to need school... anyway, I panicked and contacted friends I knew had lost weight and kept if off and they had done something along the lines of LCHF, to I dove in and lost 18lbs since the end of October.

I think I could stand to lose 20 more lbs to get to a weight I'd be really happy with, (honestly I'm just thrilled to see my weight go down instead of continue to climb!) and i believe I'll continue to lose it slowly as I have been, but I want to stay healthy and active in med school next year.

Do you have advice for maintaining weight lost in this manner during med school?

I think it's crucial i stay active because of my age. I've picked up running and have worked up to a 5K and plan to have that be my main cardio. I go to resistance training and yoga classes at the y, and hope to find similar classes during med school, or start a lifting regime if i can't.

Thanks for such an awesome thread. We future docs need to take care of ourselves!

Losing/maintaining/gaining weight is really as simple as counting calories if you ask me. That's all there is to it.

Losing/maintaining/gaining weight is really as simple as counting calories if you ask me. That's all there is to it.
I agree. I think low carb/ high fat is the only way I've been able to do it because it kills my appetite. Add the additional hormonal obstacles that come with being a little older, it becomes a bit harder to lose weight.

What are your guys' thoughts on too much protein? Is that possible? I'm trying to drop 13 pounds but when I get hungry, I get super hangry. I've been consuming 1-2 protein shakes instead of snacking (I tend to eat horrible foods like ice cream and chips and fast food and bread for snacks). It's 60 grams of protein, but only 360 calories, which is much less than I eat when snacking. Does the protein turn into fat? I have one shake after working out, but one just when I'm hungry. Is that bad?