Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure there really is any "optimal" program for certain lifters, raw or natty, but I know from my own anecdotal experience (natty) and watching a few people on Youtube (pretty sure natty) who run conjugate that there's definitely strength gains to be made running conjugate. I know it gets criticism because of the resistance bands and chains you'll see guys using in conjugate, but I personally don't use them. Instead I focus on exercise variations to hammer weakpoints and use dynamic days to really work on speed and power. To me it just makes sense anatomically that the weakpoints are a result of a certain muscle group being weaker and emphasizing those muscle groups through other variations allows the entire movement to become stronger. Conjugate is pretty low volume so that's another consideration.
Fair enough, I tried conjugate in the past with decent results, the super low volume kinda freaks me out. The hardest part for me is finding my weak points. I don't have anyone else to watch me or coach me right now. It's extremely difficult to coach myself since I can't actually see myself from the third person preforming the lifts...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I sometimes use BCAA's for cardio and heavy weight sessions when I'm cutting weight. Some people say they work and some don't. I wouldn't say they are a necessity but they sure are tasty!
Research has shown the brighter the color of your BCAAs the stronger the superpowers they give you will be. I was lame and bought the clear ones so my only power right now is being mildly entertaining to strangers on the internet. I also have the strangest hunger for banana's......

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see this thread in your sig Banana.....and I approve.

Watch Chris Duffins' series on how to squat and how to deadlift for IMO the definitive guide to proper bracing. The man's deadlifted 1000x2.5.
For myself, as a 181 I hit 440/290/510
Thanks for sharing this with me! I used his tips last night for leg day and my squats have never felt so tight. Good stuff.

Hahaha, the way it should be!

Legs today for meeee. Fave day(s) of the week.

Taking pre-workout recommendations if anyone here has any! Used to stim-free options, like pure beta-alanine crystals. But just used C4 Ripped for the last month and it's decent but sometimes it's an hour and a half before it hits, or it doesn't really hit at all, which is confusing because for the last 2.5 years I've either done the beta alanine crystals or no pre-workout at all. So not sure if it's a tolerance issue.

Any recommendations? Price point doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Taking pre-workout recommendations if anyone here has any! Used to stim-free options, like pure beta-alanine crystals. But just used C4 Ripped for the last month and it's decent but sometimes it's an hour and a half before it hits, or it doesn't really hit at all, which is confusing because for the last 2.5 years I've either done the beta alanine crystals or no pre-workout at all. So not sure if it's a tolerance issue.

Try phencyclidine.

Might experience some mild side effects.

Legs for me today too! I recommend Pre-Jym for its contents (not proprietary mix, plus evidence backed ingredients) and the taste is alright. Ghost sour watermelon has the taste but I'm not a fan of the price and it doesn't have the same contents.

Legs for me today too! I recommend Pre-Jym for its contents (not proprietary mix, plus evidence backed ingredients) and the taste is alright. Ghost sour watermelon has the taste but I'm not a fan of the price and it doesn't have the same contents.
Nice! Workout deets?

I have some Jym products, haven't tried the pre-workout though. Good rec! I'm not a fan of the sweet stuff so the C4 was an adjustment in itself.

How would you rate the feeling? Fast acting? Any crash?

Members don't see this ad :)
C4 always seems to upset my stomach.

Jack3d Micro & ON Platinum/Gold Pre are good. If we're being honest the ON Platinum is the strongest preworkout I've ever taken bar none. Moreso than Jack3d. Use it with caution.

Also, the Jekyll/Hyde pre-workouts are actually different formulaes. The company doesn't tell you, but to get the optimal dosage of each ingredient you need to buy both tubs and take 1 scoop of both. Which is completely ridiculous at almost $40 per tub.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did legs yesterday and I have to walk up three flights of stairs for work. Not a fun time at all haha. Even when I use a foam roller it doesn't make a difference

I have a roller but I can't get myself to inflict that kind of pain. I just do dynamic then static stretching immediately after workout (legs followed by 20 mins stair master) and then ride the pain the next two (usually 3) days.

Jack3d Micro & ON Platinum/Gold Pre are good. If we're being honest the ON Platinum is the strongest preworkout I've ever taken bar none. Moreso than Jack3d. Use it with caution.

Also, the Jekyll/Hyde pre-workouts are actually different formulaes. The company doesn't tell you, but to get the optimal dosage of each ingredient you need to buy both tubs and take 1 scoop of both. Which is completely ridiculous at almost $40 per tub.

Now I'm just itching to see what the ON is like... I have an event in 26 days, 9hours and 10mins lol and I need every bit of push left.

Maybe I'll just order that and the Jym in smaller sizes.

My ex had the Jekyll/Hyde combo and I used it once or twice. Couldn't get over the taste to actually drink it all. But back then I was on completely clean supps sooooo

Have you tried the original Jack3d? It's stronger than that? Or have you only tried the newer, non-DMAA containing Jack3d?

Any recommendations for breakfast in a dorm room? I usually just have a rice cake with peanut butter but I'd like to get some more calories in. Maybe add a protein shake?

UHT milk (the stuff you don't have to refrigerate) + protein powder + oats = a great shake
If you have a microwave, make protein oatmeal!
If you have a fridge and a mason jar, you can make overnight oats.

I have a roller but I can't get myself to inflict that kind of pain. I just do dynamic then static stretching immediately after workout (legs followed by 20 mins stair master) and then ride the pain the next two (usually 3) days.

Foam rollers start hurting less the more you use them. I use them to loosen up but I've never really felt them help with soreness.

Do you get sore every time you do legs? I thought soreness only happened after long breaks or occasionally when I'm cutting.

Foam rollers start hurting less the more you use them. I use them to loosen up but I've never really felt them help with soreness.

Do you get sore every time you do legs? I thought soreness only happened after long breaks or occasionally when I'm cutting.

Usually not the case on most regimens. But my current regimen is all maxing out every week, all to failure. And I do legs twice a week, first day is a heavy day, second leg day is 85% and plyo focused. I get sore every time, and Im intended to.

Also, I am in my cutting season, 26 days out from D-day.

Nice! Workout deets?

I have some Jym products, haven't tried the pre-workout though. Good rec! I'm not a fan of the sweet stuff so the C4 was an adjustment in itself.

How would you rate the feeling? Fast acting? Any crash?

For me I don't really feel the effects of caffeine anymore so it's hard to say. I definitely feel more energetic but that feeling could also be placebo. It also gives that tingley feeling when you get a pump which is great.

For legs, yesterday was my max out day so I worked up to a 1RM but no PR :( and then I did box squats for a 5x3 at 85%. Followed that with 5 sets of leg press going up a plate with each set and then 5 drop sets going back down a plate with each set, with each set going to near failure. After I finished with glute-ham raises and hamstring curls. Hit some biceps too just because :D

What kind of meet are you prepping for?

For me I don't really feel the effects of caffeine anymore so it's hard to say. I definitely feel more energetic but that feeling could also be placebo. It also gives that tingley feeling when you get a pump which is great.

For legs, yesterday was my max out day so I worked up to a 1RM but no PR :( and then I did box squats for a 5x3 at 85%. Followed that with 5 sets of leg press going up a plate with each set and then 5 drop sets going back down a plate with each set, with each set going to near failure. After I finished with glute-ham raises and hamstring curls. Hit some biceps too just because :D

Legit workout! Lots of similarities.

Hamstring curls on drop sets is for me the worst thing I've ever done. It's a whole other level of pain. Laying down machine, not the kneeling single leg machine.

Not a meet, but an event, I was trying to not be specific but I have no anonymity on here anyway, so what's the use lol. It's carnival.

Kind of threw off my normal bulk/cut schedule, but it's all working out.

For God's sakes... why???Why would you do this to yourself?

Hi, new to this thread and looking for some advice. So I just started powerlifting about 4 months ago. At first I was PRing pretty much every week but the last several weeks...nothing. I feel exhausted during my workouts and can barely get through my sets at 85% let alone attempt a PR. I am really enjoying the sport but it is so frustrating that I'm not making any progress. If it matters I am female, I lift 3x a week and do cardio 1-2x a week. I eat a healthy diet high in protein but I have cut my caloric intake a bit since I am trying to lose weight.

Hi, new to this thread and looking for some advice. So I just started powerlifting about 4 months ago. At first I was PRing pretty much every week but the last several weeks...nothing. I feel exhausted during my workouts and can barely get through my sets at 85% let alone attempt a PR. I am really enjoying the sport but it is so frustrating that I'm not making any progress. If it matters I am female, I lift 3x a week and do cardio 1-2x a week. I eat a healthy diet high in protein but I have cut my caloric intake a bit since I am trying to lose weight.
The bolded probably has something to do with it. How much have you cut?

500kcal/day below my BMR.
EDIT: the bolded below was supposed to say "lift", but it's funnier to leave it.

Dude why would you expect to make progress while 500kcal BELOW your BMR?! You're probably losing 1000 kcal per day with all the exercise....you are not at your BMR with all the exercise.

Listen I know it's difficult to be a girl and actually life and put on weight. But you have to put on weight for awhile, but then it will be much easier to cut with all the extra muscle. Just accept it. Especially when you don't have test to rely on to help you bulk.

Focus on lowering %of cals from sugar. The insulin is what kickstarts fat gains- not calories at large (biochemistry amirite). And don't try to lose so much weight and gain at the same time. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: 2 users
500kcal/day below my BMR.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate. It's how much energy your body would need every day if you were in a coma. You're not supposed to eat below your BMR at all. To lose a pound a week, you're supposed to eat 500 cal below your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). TDEE is your BMR + what you burn by not lying in bed all day. For a small female that might end up being below your BMR, so then it's recommended to have about a 20% deficit from your TDEE as long as it's above your BMR.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate. It's how much energy your body would need every day if you were in a coma. You're not supposed to eat below your BMR at all. To lose a pound a week, you're supposed to eat 500 cal below your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). TDEE is your BMR + what you burn by not lying in bed all day. For a small female that might end up being below your BMR, so then it's recommended to have about a 20% deficit from your TDEE as long as it's above your BMR.
Sorry I meant TDEE not BMR lol

Powerlifting | Cutting Calories

Pick one. You shouldn't expect to be hitting new powerlifting PRs while eating at a deficit. If you wanna see progression, you have to follow the axiom: eat, sleep, train.

Also, what does your cardio look like? Are we talking long distance running, or more incline walking? Rest days are important. If you're training 4-5x a week, you have to be careful what you do on your non-lifting days. You don't want to deplete your glycogen stores by lifting heavy one day, then keep them depleted by going HAM on your cardio day, then try to hit a new lifting PR the following day. You haven't given your body enough time to recover. Does that make sense?

Powerlifting | Cutting Calories

Pick one. You shouldn't expect to be hitting new powerlifting PRs while eating at a deficit. If you wanna see progression, you have to follow the axiom: eat, sleep, train.

Also, what does your cardio look like? Are we talking long distance running, or more incline walking? Rest days are important. If you're training 4-5x a week, you have to be careful what you do on your non-lifting days. You don't want to deplete your glycogen stores by lifting heavy one day, then keep them depleted by going HAM on your cardio day, then try to hit a new lifting PR the following day. You haven't given your body enough time to recover. Does that make sense?
I'll definitely take the advice on not cutting calories, I don't know why I decided that would be a good idea. Like I said, I know almost nothing about powerlifting so I'll take any advice I can get. I used to be a runner but due to an injury I can't go long distances anymore. I'm used to fueling my body for running and powerlifting is a little different so I'm still figuring out what works for me.

FYI on "cardio" days I ride my bike or do a spin class for 45 min or swim. My HR is up but I can still hold a conversation. I rarely ever go crazy especially if I'm lifting the next day, cycling is just something I do for fun. Do you think 2x a week is still too much?

I have a fridge but no microwave. Do oats work fine in a regular blender bottle?

They're kinda chunky/chewy in a blender bottle. You can try it and see how the smoothie tastes.

Since you have a fridge, make overnight oats. It takes 5 minutes to make the night before, you can take it on the go in the morning, and it tastes so good!! Much better than a smoothie in my opinion.

I'll definitely take the advice on not cutting calories, I don't know why I decided that would be a good idea. Like I said, I know almost nothing about powerlifting so I'll take any advice I can get. I used to be a runner but due to an injury I can't go long distances anymore. I'm used to fueling my body for running and powerlifting is a little different so I'm still figuring out what works for me.

FYI on "cardio" days I ride my bike or do a spin class for 45 min or swim. My HR is up but I can still hold a conversation. I rarely ever go crazy especially if I'm lifting the next day, cycling is just something I do for fun. Do you think 2x a week is still too much?

It's generally recommended to eat at least a gram of protein per kilogram body weight, if you're still stalling-out on your lifts you can probably go up to a gram of protein per pound. Instead of eating 500kcals below your TDEE, aim for ~250 above and adjust the rest of your macros accordingly after factoring the protein. I also personally make sure to some fish oil to help protect my joints.

For cardio, you should do what you can to elevate your HR for a sustained period of time, but without compromising your ability to lift the next day. How you accomplish that is up to you, as long as you realize powerlifting has some pretty significantly different goals than long distance running. You may realize that ~30 minutes of incline walking at the end of your lifting days is sufficient enough

Because they're fundamentally different.

ax·i·om

A statement or proposition that is regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true.

Idk about you man but "Eat, sleep, train" is most definitely an established saying, aka an axiom, in the lifting world. Dunno why you'd wanna be argumentative about something so trivial. Lol DYEL?

ax·i·om

A statement or proposition that is regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true.
I don't like the use of the word "or" there because it implies that there is a choice when the bolded portion is the most important part of the definition. I prefer this definition:
An axiom or postulate is a statement that is taken to be true, to serve as a premise or starting point for further reasoning and arguments. The word comes from the Greek axíōma (ἀξίωμα) 'that which is thought worthy or fit' or 'that which commends itself as evident.

Idk about you man but "Eat, sleep, train" is most definitely an established saying, aka an axiom, in the lifting world
Nope. Axioms are self-evident. One could argue that "Eat, sleep, train" isn't even a fundamental truth.

Dunno why you'd wanna be argumentative about something so trivial.
I have a math degree.

Also: you phrased that rather unfortunately.

Lol DYEL?
Very courteous.

Last edited:

You should be fine if you are able to speak most of the time during the cardio sesh. If you're panting and sweating bullets it may be too much. Remember:
As a Powerlifter, all of your decisions revolve around your ability to lift more weight.

Everything you do should support that pursuit by either
A- Improving your health/strength
B- Improving your technique
C- Improving recovery

Also I recommend bumping up the carbs so you can hit the gym harder. Definitely get out of that deficit and shoot for 250-500 kcal over your TDEE

What's everyone's experience with cutting weight? I've been in a slow cut since the beginning of December and am down about 8 pounds. I've maintained strength on most of my lifts besides bench (of course). Although it's been only a 5 lb drop from my most recent PR it still feels like crap not hitting the same rep ranges that I'm used to.

What's everyone's experience with cutting weight? I've been in a slow cut since the beginning of December and am down about 8 pounds. I've maintained strength on most of my lifts besides bench (of course). Although it's been only a 5 lb drop from my most recent PR it still feels like crap not hitting the same rep ranges that I'm used to.
I read somewhere that the drop in rep range strength is due to muscle glycogen being depleted on a cut.

I don't know how true that is, you're going to be losing strength at least a little bit on a cut regardless, but you might consider eating the majority of your carbs before/after you lift in order to address that. I like to have a bagel before I hit the gym and it works for me. Bench strength in my opinion is highly correlated to bodyweight. Not much you can do there besides make sure your technique is on point.

Noob here. So I feel okay with my body weight for my height, but it's just more flabby than I would like. I would like to lose some weight in my torso and face while bulking up too. Should the emphasis be to hit some cardio for a few weeks and slim down a bit before trying to bulk up? Or will mainly lifting help me trim some fat and meet both goals? I don't have a ton of time. Hoping to spend 30 minutes or so a day with a longer Saturday and rest Sunday.

Similarly, how do I know if I'm working hard enough for my calorie intake? Just pay attention to how I feel and progress? I like the 1 gram/kilo rule so I might try that for now.

Hope those questions make sense. Love this board.

I cut about 15lbs every season from bulk weight to "ready" weight. (Note: I am familiar). I am usually PR ing from bulk season all the way until prep is done. So I don't believe I lose much noticeable strength with that small cut.

My bf cuts about 25lbs. From 195 bulk weight to about 170 show ready. (He's very short lol)
From what I noticed with him, squats and back and other large group workouts continue to go up each weak through both seasons. But some small muscle group, or very targeted exercises don't.

I lose a little bit of strength on cuts. Primarily on OHP and Bench, My deadlift stays the same, my squat jumped from 305-335 on my last cut but thats probably because I only started squatting recently.

When I cut I reduce my number of working sets but keep the rep ranges the same. If I feel overworked I start getting rid of some of my accessories. It always feels terrible to lose strength but at least you gain it back relatively quick after the cut.

Noob here. So I feel okay with my body weight for my height, but it's just more flabby than I would like. I would like to lose some weight in my torso and face while bulking up too. Should the emphasis be to hit some cardio for a few weeks and slim down a bit before trying to bulk up? Or will mainly lifting help me trim some fat and meet both goals? I don't have a ton of time. Hoping to spend 30 minutes or so a day with a longer Saturday and rest Sunday.

Similarly, how do I know if I'm working hard enough for my calorie intake? Just pay attention to how I feel and progress? I like the 1 gram/kilo rule so I might try that for now.

Hope those questions make sense. Love this board.

It depends on how new you are to lifting and your actual goals. If you're happy with your current physique I would start with a lean bulk to put on the size you're looking for. This could go on for a few months or longer. If there's a certain event you really want to lean out for, you can worry about cutting at that time. 6months or so of lifting on a progressive overload in a calories surplus then you should build a solid foundation of muscle and strength. From there you may decide you like training for strength over size, or size over strength and can look for a program that interest you and will lead to enjoyment in the gym.

form=life. I dislocated my shoulder doing skull crushers... It's never been the same since.

form=life. I dislocated my shoulder doing skull crushers... It's never been the same since.
Ouch. I pitty the fool who does bad form! I use to try and correct people, but they never listened.