Student Fitness Thread to end all fitness threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since running is the focus of your workout plan, I would suggest you avoid doing more cardio on your rest days. Maybe hit the gym and do some mobility work? Most people can benefit from a good stretching routine done daily.
Oooo that's a good idea. I might just throw on some YouTube in the living room and do a stretch block for myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oooo that's a good idea. I might just throw on some YouTube in the living room and do a stretch block for myself.
I recommend it. There's a lot of great mobility videos on youtube, I'm sure you can find a runner-specific one.

What a nice thread! So I am hoping for some good advice. I have three main goals right now: improve my running time significantly, improve my strength, and gain weight. I'm trying to run a minimum of 4 times a week with varying intensities and lengths, I don't think improving times are too complicated.

But with improving my strength and gaining weight I am having some problems. I am a bit noodly... Skinny fat if you will. Even 10 pound bicep curls are hard for me and after a work out I get DOMS sooooo bad. What advice do y'all have for continuing with a regularly scheduled strength training without becoming so sore that moving is a no-go? Also the fitness guru's I've talked to recommend that I eat 6 meals with at least 15 gram of protein a day, but for someone with a low appetite that doesn't eat meat this seems impossible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm too lazy to do cardio, but I want to become slim before becoming "fit" or "lean". Will the sweat from the core(abs, legs, arms) workouts help?

I'm too lazy to do cardio, but I want to become slim before becoming "fit" or "lean". Will the sweat from the core(abs, legs, arms) workouts help?

Becoming slim is all in your diet. Eat less calories then your body burns and you'll lose weight. I would still consider doing cardio it's good for you. You can make it more fun by playing a sport like basketball.

What a nice thread! So I am hoping for some good advice. I have three main goals right now: improve my running time significantly, improve my strength, and gain weight. I'm trying to run a minimum of 4 times a week with varying intensities and lengths, I don't think improving times are too complicated.

But with improving my strength and gaining weight I am having some problems. I am a bit noodly... Skinny fat if you will. Even 10 pound bicep curls are hard for me and after a work out I get DOMS sooooo bad. What advice do y'all have for continuing with a regularly scheduled strength training without becoming so sore that moving is a no-go? Also the fitness guru's I've talked to recommend that I eat 6 meals with at least 15 gram of protein a day, but for someone with a low appetite that doesn't eat meat this seems impossible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In your position I would jump into a beginner routine lifting routine and work on gaining strength. You can't really go wrong with the beginner programs from here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/programs. Continue running but allow your body to recover.

For diet try to eat more than your body burns. This will allow you to gain weight. Meal timing doesn't really matter just try to eat at a caloric surplus and aim for around 0.8g protein/ lb of bodyweight. If you don't eat meat an easy way to get a lot of protein is through protein shakes, legumes( beans and lentils), dairy, and eggs. If you have a hard time eating a lot try to get more calories through liquid as it is easier.

squat booty club. Im gonna start one, men only. :)

If you have a low appetite you're gonna struggle to gain weight with the number of calories you're burning. If you look at the resources I discussed above those should help you in determining calorie needs with no exercise, however you're going to have to really step up your calorie intake to account for the running. No surplus = no muscle gain and also = very little strength gains other than what you will get from being a beginner. As suggested by others, definitely get on a program that will keep you on track.

Determine the number of calories you're burning for cardio and add it to your TDEE. Then add another 300 calories. As for the source of these calories, given your exercise levels you need probably 6-7 g carbs /kg bodyweight, that is if you do maintain running for 4 days per week plus lifting most days as well. From there you should limit your fats to about half your bodyweight in pounds and the rest in protein (at least 2x RDA = 1.68g/kg bodyweight).

Embrac

Embrace the DOMS and power through. It goes away the more consistent you are with working out. Focus on improving your form and doing the lifting exercises correctly. Don't worry about the weights and increasing them until you are tired of perfecting your form at the lower weights. Don't worry about how to eat, just try not to eat a lot of junk food. If you try to absorb all the advice out there you will just procrastinate exercising for reading (and 99% of it is BS anyway). Get the book starting strength to hit all your main bases and go into depth on proper form.

Reactions: 1 users
So ummm. My Achilles on my left side and both my knees have been hurting a bit during the day. I've been icing/ibuprofen'ing but should I just take a week off or something and do strength training elsewhere? I want to keep this pace of weight loss going but I don't think continuing to run on these is the best idea.

So ummm. My Achilles on my left side and both my knees have been hurting a bit during the day. I've been icing/ibuprofen'ing but should I just take a week off or something and do strength training elsewhere? I want to keep this pace of weight loss going but I don't think continuing to run on these is the best idea.

Sounds like it's time for a rest week. Take a whole week off, I would eat at maintenance to preserve muscle during the week off. Next week you'll feel a lot better and your workouts will be better. I always come back stronger after rest weeks.

Sounds like it's time for a rest week. Take a whole week off, I would eat at maintenance to preserve muscle during the week off. Next week you'll feel a lot better and your workouts will be better. I always come back stronger after rest weeks.
So like 1500/day high protein?

So like 1500/day high protein?

I don't know what maintenance calories would be for you but 1500 seems too low. I would hold on trying to lose weight for a week and let your body recover. In the grand scheme of things a week is nothing plus working through the pain isn't a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give me a workout routine 3-5x per week 45 minutes. Have a gym at my apartment complex and a pool. ( no weights only boflex at gym). Also I am fitness challenged. By challenged I mean overweight.

Can someone give me a workout routine 3-5x per week 45 minutes. Have a gym at my apartment complex and a pool. ( no weights only boflex at gym). Also I am fitness challenged. By challenged I mean overweight.

If your goal is simply to decrease the number on the scale, all you really need to do is change up your diet. Improving the quality and decreasing the quantity of what you eat will definitely enable you to drop weight.

Beyond that, imo the most effective workout plan is one that is super simple and that you'll actually stick to. So I'd recommend: 15 mins on the treadmill mill at max incline at a speed slightly more than a comfortable waking pace, probably about a 17 and a half minute mile. Try to get up to 30 minutes of this.

I've never used a bowflex so I don't have any recommendations there. I would go with a bodyweight routine of push-ups, sit-ups, and then progress to free weights when you have access. But for beginning weight loss, you really don't need to do more than improve your diet and increase your daily activity level. The most important thing, again, is actually sticking to it. The workout plan really doesn't matter that much.

All of this is from personal experience this spring. I dropped almost 40 pounds and I never lifted a weight. Don't over think it, just pick a basic plan and stick to it. Good luck, it's 100% worth it

Reactions: 2 users
Happy to see everyone using the thread! Keep it up guys!

We'll all be buff by summer ;)

what kind of shoes are you using?

what kind of shoes are you using?
Nike running shoes along the ~50-60 buck line. Maybe I'll get new ones but I get the feeling the problem will be the same. It's super difficult for me to find shoes that fit me since hobbit-style "triangle" feet that get really wide at the end. If I wear regular-fit shoes, my foot feels like it's being strangled to death, but if I wear wide-fit shoes the ankle is too loose and the tongue slides to the side during my run and I develop a huge cramp in my lower shin.

Nike running shoes along the ~50-60 buck line. Maybe I'll get new ones but I get the feeling the problem will be the same. It's super difficult for me to find shoes that fit me since hobbit-style "triangle" feet that get really wide at the end. If I wear regular-fit shoes, my foot feels like it's being strangled to death, but if I wear wide-fit shoes the ankle is too loose and the tongue slides to the side during my run and I develop a huge cramp in my lower shin.

Yeah I used to use Nike running shoes when I first started and would get pretty bad shin splints and knee pain especially when I ran outside. If you're going to be running a lot it might be worth investing in some good running shoes. I know there are a few places that will evaluate your gait on a treadmill and recommend shoes that are tailored to your running style. They might also help with sizing.

Yeah I used to use Nike running shoes when I first started and would get pretty bad shin splints and knee pain especially when I ran outside. If you're going to be running a lot it might be worth investing in some good running shoes. I know there are a few places that will evaluate your gait on a treadmill and recommend shoes that are tailored to your running style. They might also help with sizing.
What kind of stores would do that? Like an REI or something?

Edit: I totally feel you on the shin splints thing though. I got those from these shoes before too.

Edit: I totally feel you on the shin splints thing though. I got those from these shoes before too.
There are shoe stores that cater to runners, not usually REI, but smaller specialty shops.

The one by me is called The Running Company or something like that. They're more expensive but to me it was worth it to not get shin splints any more haha

I've never used a bowflex, but from what I understand you're able to do a full-body workout on these types of machines. I would try to go with something that works all of your major muscle groups at least 3 days a week. That's kinda what I do, and it works pretty well for me just to maintain my general physique. If you're just starting with resistance training, getting the fundamentals of the major lifts down is going to be key. Plenty of good beginner guides out there, but many require a full gym.

My rotation that could probably translate to bowflex would include: flat bench, incline bench, standard row (seated?), lat pull-down, squats, reverse lunges (goblet lunges/squats if you want to diversify), deadlifts (not sure if this will be possible on bowflex- if you're gym has free weights you can do single leg romanian deadlifts), and overhead press. Don't worry about biceps/triceps or other accessories right now, your presses and pulls will be working those muscles. Add them in after a month or two when you're feeling more confident/less sore.

Also try to mix in a few core exercises each session. I'm assuming you're starting from a low baseline, so ease into it. Maybe 2-3 sets of plank holds for 30 seconds each, or some bird-dogs and deadbugs.

As for a schedule, maybe something like:

Day 1-
Bench press (3x15)- try a pretty light weight setting and focus on form for the first few weeks
Row (3x15)- again, light weight and focus on form
Squat (3x15)- look up a good youtube tutorial. Very important to engage your glutes (don't let your heels come off the ground, make sure you're squatting to at least 90 degrees, etc.)
Overhead press (3x15)

Day 2-
Rest/light cardio or yoga. If you're sore, try going for a walk or swim and spend a few minutes stretching.

Day 3-
Incline bench (3x15)
Lat pull-down (3x15)
Single leg RDL (3x15)- you can probably start out with no weight on these; they're a good stretch and will help with improving balance. Also- proprioception!!!
Overhead press (3x15)

Day 4-
Rest/light cardio or yoga.

Day 5-
Any chest exercise (3x15)
Any back exercise (3x15)
Squat or lunges (3x15)
OHP (3x15)

Common theme here is that you're doing chest, back, and legs everyday. I think this will be good for a beginner with no access to a rack of barbells. Also, if you can, try to be aware of your breath and keep your core tight on every rep. This probably seems a bit jumbled and a lot to process, but start small, ease your way into it, and stay consistent!

Totally agree with what people are saying about the shoes. I was having similar issues at one point, one of my friends pointed out that I had been wearing the same running shoes for over a year and enlightened me that if I'm running regularly I should be switching out every 7-8 months. I heard a rule of thumb is that if you see compression wrinkles in the soles of your shoes when looking at them from the side, then you need new running shoes. I bought shoes that have a gel shock absorber and also bought some extra soles to help with impact and my knee pain/IT band pain went away.

Also, how do you run? You might want to do some research because I've heard that heel runners are more prone to injuries like Achilles tendinitis. When I was having that issue, I started running on my mid foot and I saw a drastic improvement, to the point that I rarely have pain when I run now. So I'd consider looking at how your running form is.

If you guys are really into running, and also really into medicine, I'd check out a certain book: Anatomy of Running by Jay Dicharry. Its not an anatomy book, really. More or less the form and function of running and what causes breakdown/injury (and how to prevent).

Lore of Running by Tim Noakes MD isn't a bad read either.

Since we're on the topic of aches/pains, do any other moderate to heavy lifters in here ever have chest pain while benchpressing or doing dips? It's pretty isolated to the left side of my sternum.

Since we're on the topic of aches/pains, do any other moderate to heavy lifters in here ever have chest pain while benchpressing or doing dips? It's pretty isolated to the left side of my sternum.

Costochondritis? I'm not a lifter but I do a lot of push-ups. I overdid it a little once, got that sternum pain and that's what the doc told me it was. I just took an anti inflammatory and backed off for a week, it went away on its own.

Costochondritis? I'm not a lifter but I do a lot of push-ups. I overdid it a little once, got that sternum pain and that's what the doc told me it was. I just took an anti inflammatory and backed off for a week, it went away on its own.
Interesting. It's been bothering me for about 3-4 years with varying severity. I never did much dedicated chest work back in college due to the sport I played, but it's gotten a little more annoying recently. Maybe I'll give the upper body a rest.

Interesting. It's been bothering me for about 3-4 years with varying severity. I never did much dedicated chest work back in college due to the sport I played, but it's gotten a little more annoying recently. Maybe I'll give the upper body a rest.

I used to get a very painful tearing feeling right around the sternum when I did dips. I don't experience it anymore, but the only thing I could think helped is all the isolated chest movements I am doing now that I did not do in the past.

With that said, perhaps it is that you are overloading the pectorals with a weight they can not handle? Could try focusing on some isolated chest movements to build some strength?

I hate squats. They tire me out so quickly. Pretty novice lifter here btw. I go like 3 times a week usually for 40ish mins. Try to do light cardio on days off for 20 mins.

I think my ankles are too tight because I can't keep my feet straight forward when I squat. Also, it could be my hips as well.

Are novice lifters supposed to see good progress? I feel like I'm not getting much stronger at the rate I'm going.

I hate squats. They tire me out so quickly. Pretty novice lifter here btw. I go like 3 times a week usually for 40ish mins. Try to do light cardio on days off for 20 mins.

I think my ankles are too tight because I can't keep my feet straight forward when I squat. Also, it could be my hips as well.

Are novice lifters supposed to see good progress? I feel like I'm not getting much stronger at the rate I'm going.
Depends on how heavy you're lifting, how much you're eating, and if you're lifting correctly.

Have you tried hip flexor stretches?

I used to get a very painful tearing feeling right around the sternum when I did dips. I don't experience it anymore, but the only thing I could think helped is all the isolated chest movements I am doing now that I did not do in the past.

With that said, perhaps it is that you are overloading the pectorals with a weight they can not handle? Could try focusing on some isolated chest movements to build some strength?
Hmm, I don't think overall strength or weight is the issue... I'm not really maxing out. The weight feels fine- more like the pain is my limiting factor. Hurts a lot less on incline bench, so I get better numbers there. I typically try to limit iso movements, but I guess that goes out the window when you're injured.

Novice level is where you'll probably get the most rapid progress. There's a few general guides out there for increasing ankle mobility if you think that's limiting you. Also your feet don't have to be perfectly straight- my right foot is usually rotated 10 degrees or so due to an injury in high school (hip flexor hyper-extended and took a piece of my growth plate with it).

Keep working on your overall mobility- get a good warmup routine and maybe incorporate some yoga. And don't give up the squats! You'll build a ton of muscle if you do them right.

1- If you are squatting for strength, squat low bar. High bar squats are good for developing the quads (bodybuilding bruh), but not for general strengthening.

2- Your feet shouldn't be straight when you squat unless you are naturally flexible. For most athletes, pointing the toes out at 35-40 degrees will do the trick. Knee should be forced outwards to activate dem glutes and prevent a valgus collapse (AKA your knee blows inward, you crumple under the bar and destroy your MCL)

3- There's a lot that goes into a good squat, but this video will get you on your way. Pay attention to hip drive and head position. He also addresses foot position. Coach rippetoe was a world champion powerlifter and he addresses the anatomical/physiological components of all the basic lifts in his book "Starting Strength". He's actually a really smart guy.

Hey Everyone!

The original post has been re-formatted and updated to include video links on how to preform the various lifts properly.

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Update:

Down 3.8 pounds over 3 weeks. Haven't exercised this past week, been focusing on getting my knee/ankle feeling better and controlling my diet.

Ankle: 90%
Knee: 80% at wake up 40% by the end of my shift.

I've been icing and ibuprofen-ing, but my knee still feels all derpy. Doctor visit time?

Edit: 3 weeks, not 2

Last edited:
Update:

Down 3.8 pounds over 2 weeks. Haven't exercised this past week, been focusing on getting my knee/ankle feeling better and controlling my diet.

I've been icing and ibuprofen-ing, but my knee still feels all derpy. Doctor visit time?

80% - 40% suggests it may be overuse. Walking on it at work is exacerbating the issue. It'll take a long time to heal if you are constantly abusing it at work, nevermind with exercise.

Give it till next monday. If it doesn't feel better, or you notice stability issues, hit up dem dere orthopods..

Update:

Down 3.8 pounds over 2 weeks. Haven't exercised this past week, been focusing on getting my knee/ankle feeling better and controlling my diet.

How many times are you running a week and how much down time are you taking between each run? Might be good to mix in some low impact cardio like swimming or elliptical to decrease the stress on your knees.

80% - 40% suggests it may be overuse. Walking on it at work is exacerbating the issue. It'll take a long time to heal if you are constantly abusing it at work, nevermind with exercise.

Give it till next monday. If it doesn't feel better, or you notice stability issues, hit up dem dere orthopods..
Yeah let alone the walk from my park and ride to my bus :(

How many times are you running a week and how much down time are you taking between each run? Might be good to mix in some low impact cardio like swimming or elliptical to decrease the stress on your knees.
So 3 weeks ago I started 3 on (3mi @10' pace) 1 off 2 on one off, repeat. Got through 2 days of the "3 on" during 2nd cycle and then had to take a break for my Achilles and knee, and I've been off it ever since.

Messed my wrist up last september and just recently got back full ROM with little to no pain. Wrist takes a damn long time to heal. Lost a couple months of workout time b/c of it and my bench press suffered.

Know your limits, people. I wish I had been more careful. Could've easily avoided the wrist injury, even though it was fairly minor. Can't imagine what would've happened if the ligament tear was more severe. I might've been out for many months longer.

Messed my wrist up last september and just recently got back full ROM with little to no pain. Wrist takes a damn long time to heal. Lost a couple months of workout time b/c of it and my bench press suffered.

Know your limits, people. I wish I had been more careful. Could've easily avoided the wrist injury, even though it was fairly minor. Can't imagine what would've happened if the ligament tear was more severe. I might've been out for many months longer.

Do you wear wrist wraps? I had a minor wrist injury that still hurts when I do front squats, but when I bench/OHP/do anything with wrist wraps, they don't hurt at all.

Do you wear wrist wraps? I had a minor wrist injury that still hurts when I do front squats, but when I bench/OHP/do anything with wrist wraps, they don't hurt at all.
I wore a wrist brace for a couple months. Weirdly enough, wrist workout like curls seemed to speed up the healing process. I imagine it has something to do with increasing blood flow to the area since the wrist doesn't have as much as other joints. Also, massaging the area helped me a lot too. Functionality is like 99% atm with the occasional pain if I try to hyperextend it.

I wore a wrist brace for a couple months. Weirdly enough, wrist workout like curls seemed to speed up the healing process. I imagine it has something to do with increasing blood flow to the area since the wrist doesn't have as much as other joints. Also, massaging the area helped me a lot too. Functionality is like 99% atm with the occasional pain if I try to hyperextend it.

Yeah that sounds similar to what happened to me (the pain when I hyperextended). I would recommend getting wrist wraps and using them whenever you're doing a push exercise tbh. They just help stabilize your worst and keep them in a good position so the bar doesn't hyperextended them. They've helped me so much plus they make your forearms looked jacked which is always a plus

Yeah that sounds similar to what happened to me (the pain when I hyperextended). I would recommend getting wrist wraps and using them whenever you're doing a push exercise tbh. They just help stabilize your worst and keep them in a good position so the bar doesn't hyperextended them. They've helped me so much plus they make your forearms looked jacked which is always a plus

Common advice in the powerlifting community is to always keep your wrists straight as possible. It allows you to put more force through the bar and keeps your wrists as safe as possible. I stopped using wrist wraps because they became a bit of a crutch for me. I was letting the wrap do all the work and relaxing my wrists during the bench. Using chalk and keeping the wrists straight and forearms activated has gotten me higher numbers while eliminating wrist pain.

On a side note, has anyone that's done 5/3/1 have tips for assistance work? I recently started and this is only my second week. Looking for work to build up my squat a little more for the next 2 months before I start my cut for the summer.

Common advice in the powerlifting community is to always keep your wrists straight as possible. It allows you to put more force through the bar and keeps your wrists as safe as possible. I stopped using wrist wraps because they became a bit of a crutch for me. I was letting the wrap do all the work and relaxing my wrists during the bench. Using chalk and keeping the wrists straight and forearms activated has gotten me higher numbers while eliminating wrist pain.

On a side note, has anyone that's done 5/3/1 have tips for assistance work? I recently started and this is only my second week. Looking for work to build up my squat a little more for the next 2 months before I start my cut for the summer.

That is legit. I don't use the wraps for all of the sets. I warm-up without them, then do my working sets with them.

I've never used straps or belts for anything. I've always worked on form or grip, try to avoid using the equipment as a crutch. For 1RM it's alright, but that weakness is still there in the technique.

I've done some 1 leg step ups and leg curls and extensions but really heavy squats and deadlifts are the only leg work I do and I've gotten great results from that. Front squatting is a great way to build flexibility which will improve your back squat but I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for as far as an assistant exercise