Successful Applicants c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
20, Female, Nevada,Traditional, First Time Applicant

Applied:
Western, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Purdue, Midwestern, U of Arizona, U of Florida, LMU, Colorado, Ohio, Virginia-Maryland
Interview Invites: LMU, Washington, Colorado (accepted-no interviews this cycle), Virginia-Maryland (waitlisted-no interviews this cycle), Midwestern (withdrew application), Western (withdrew application)
Accepted: Colorado and Washington (haven’t heard from LMU)
Attending: Washington State University at the Logan, UT campus (Logan was my Preference!)

Overall GPA: 3.61
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.46
Last 45 GPA: 3.69

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 (51%) / 149 (40%) / 3.5 (38%)

Degree(s): BS in Veterinary Science (May 2021)

Veterinary Experience:
Mixed Animal Veterinary Assistant- 802 hours
Equine Hospital Shadowing- 24 hours

Animal Experience:
Ranch/ Farm Work- 1,096 hours
Kennel Technician- 300 hours
4-H- 100 hours

Research:
Undergrad Animal Nutrition Research Assistant- 30 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Collegiate Young Farmers & Ranchers- 200 (treasurer 1 year, VP 1 year)
- Pre-Vet Club- 52 hours
- National Honor Society (HS)- 100 hours (President 1 year)
- HS Track and Field- 720 hours
- HS Basketball- 720 hours
- HS Library Club- 376 hours (President 2 years)
  • I was always told to include all experiences from High School on!
Non-Animal Employment:
- Basketball Official for High School Sports- 36 hours
- Highway Construction (NDOT)- 546 hours
- Preschool Teacher Aid- 130 hours

Volunteer:
HS Booster Club- 50 hours

LORs:
2 Veterinarians (Small and Mixed Practice Vets)
1 Undergrad Veterinary Medicine Professor
1 Employer (Nevada Department of Transportation Supervisor)

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
Most of the schools asked for supplemental essay questions and since I applied to so many schools I don’t remember all of them. I had several essays asking what I would contribute to their programs, the importance of diversity, and what makes a good veterinarian! Sorry I can’t remember more specific examples.

For personal statement:
I wrote about the importance of rural mixed animal veterinary care. I grew up in a rural area where the closes veterinarian was 1.5 hours away by car. I saw many animals suffer, both large and small. I have a strong desire to practice in rural shortage areas, serving small animals and livestock. I also shared experiences of growing up on a cattle ranch and being able to interact with animals from a young age.
Congrats!!!! :) yay we'll be classmates!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I am baffled to be posting here lol I really did not think this was going to be my year!!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 28, female, NY, non-trad in career/school -- I studied journalism and environmental studies with a minor in anthrozoology; I wanted to be a naturalist. 2nd time applying(ish)

Applied: Ohio, Tufts, Colorado, and Ross
Interview Invites: Ohio, Tufts, Ross
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
Ohio, Tufts, and Ross
Attending: **Update: Attending Tufts!! but wanted to leave my initial thought process because that matters too
Likely Ohio!! still heavily considering Tufts since I want to live and practice in New England eventually, buuut pretty sold on Ohio's fourth year flexibility and tuition.

Overall GPA: 3.50 at time of application
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.43!! -- baccalaureate science GPA was 3.11!! I really pulled this up with grad school and my vet tech program
Last 45 GPA: 3.71 at time of application; it's like a 3.89 now but the schools wouldn't know that

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%) -- lol I can't seem to access my account but it was not spectacular, something like 31% quant, 80% verbal, 92% writing. I think it was a 307 combined and 312 with writing. I applied to schools that didn't require it.

Degree(s): MS in Environmental Science with a focus on wildlife health. My thesis examined the relationship between epidemiological zoonotic disease reporting to temperature/climate change variables and further used my journalism degree to examine how this was communicated through newspapers in New York State. Super interdisciplinary, very applied One Health. Still working on publication.

BS was Environmental Studies & Journalism with a minor in anthrozoology. Prior majors in anthropology and theatre before switching which are evident on transcript.

AAS in veterinary technology, graduating July 1st. I don't necessarily recommend this route, but it was recommended to me and I don't regret it.

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (hrs) - 3000+ wildlife, 1000+ small animal (shelter/private practice/corporate practice). maybe ~20 large animal hrs from the shelter clinic. Worked in multiple states, with evident wildlife focus.

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs) - 640 from a seasonal internship AZA accredited facility
~20 hours goat sitting for an ecology organization that utilizes herds of goats to eat invasive plants lol
~100 hrs at a clin path lab!! I stuck this here because it seemed like the compromise between veterinary experience and the other options lol. We are 'technically' supervised by veterinarians but I never ever see them. I mostly run cbcs, perform differentials, run urinalysis, make cultures, etc. I don't typically physically touch the animals. Basically I put this here as a wild guess of where to place it, and no one has said anything about it.

Research:
Experience - (hrs)
I think this is what set me apart. Between my Master's research and seasonal field positions -- 3200+ hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
- Helped start the women's varsity ice hockey team in high school (seriously -- include every experience you can think of especially if you were too busy to pursue leadership in clubs in college. I ended up discussing this in my interview, and this experience is 10 years old!)
- Editor in chief high school newspaper
- Environmental columnist in undergrad
- Intramural soccer; recreational ice hockey, fencing, surfing, dance. Probably some other sports I can't remember at the moment.
- I've been a guitarist since high school
- Theatre -- volunteering with youth theatre has been a big part of my life; I've also acted and worked on shows in and after college
- Polish teaching - lol I'm a dual citizen and grew up helping my mom teach Polish at the local Polish school
- ESL teaching
- Web design/social media/graphic design etc for a wildlife organization I am part of

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)
Barista and stage manager at a local coffee shop - ~4 years; total coffee shop experience: 7 years
All paid technical theater experience.
Freelance writer -- side note if you are looking for gigs that pay well you don't necessarily need a specialized degree to freelance write, you can do it from home and make decent cash.

LORs:
Title of recommender (Vet? Manager? Supervisor? Vet tech?)
- Wildlife veterinarian who has mentored me for ~8 years.
- Medical director & veterinary orthopedic surgeon at the shelter clinic I worked at
- Field supervisor for seasonal ecology job
- Grad school advisor
- Clin path professor/externship site supervisor; she is an LVT and holds other degrees and certs

Summary of what you wrote about
I'm literally a writer and had the worst time trying to write these.
Goals: Mine are very specific and I broke these up and illustrated how they are interconnected:
Veterinary pathologist -- preferably zoological pathologist; wildlife rehab center veterinarian to pay it forward to not only the vet but also the volunteers that helped 'raise' me in the field; teach at a vet school. I explained how I intend to tie my research experience into my work as a veterinarian. I explained how I learn through art (drawing) and at the risk of sounding childish -- wrote how I am enamored with the idea of becoming a wildlife disease detective. I think careful creativity with writing can really make you stand out; remember that simplifying ideas can reflect solid understanding if the technique is utilized correctly.

I highlighted my international experience regarding how veterinarians contribute to society, as well as One Health. This was a risk because it's kind of a buzzword, but since my career genuinely thoroughly embodies it (wanting to be a One Health researcher and work in epidemiology and pathology and then write about it ((eg books, articles)) -- things that I am already on my way to doing -- I think it worked)

And then for the last one I wrote about interpersonal skills, and how my classmates and I have helped pull each other through the pandemic. I wanted to highlight that it's a team sport at the end of the day :)

For the Tufts personal essay, not even kidding, I wrote my essay about Indiana Jones.

For the interviews I honestly thought the leadership questions were the most intimidating but I like to fall back on a quote a friend once told me -- the best way to lead is by example, and I guess that went okay too.

I'm so so baffled I got in this round -- I went from thinking I would apply to see where I stand and get a couple file reviews to better prep for next year and nowww I'm going to start my journey to become a veterinarian. I could cry, man.

**updated to reflect acceptance to Tufts :giggle: still stunned

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
I'll be honest, I had low hopes for this cycle. I was fully expecting to need to take a gap year, but here I am. :)

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
20 y/o, Female, VA, Traditional, 1st time

I chose my schools based off of distance from home and use of military benefits.
Applied: VMCVM, Cornell (alternate), Florida
Interview Invites: none
Waiting to hear: none
Accepted: VMCVM
Attending: VMCVM!!

Overall GPA: 3.95
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.91
Last 45 GPA: 3.94

GRE: Didn’t take

CASPer: Required for VMCVM

Degree(s): B.S. Animal & Nutritional Sciences (Complete May 2021; only 3 years of undergrad)

Veterinary Experience:
TOTAL—517 hrs
SA Shadowing (Clinic #1)—155 hrs
SA Receptionist (Clinic #2)—158 hrs
SA Assistant (Clinic #2)—204 hrs

Animal Experience:
TOTAL—100 hrs
Animal Shelter Volunteer—18 hrs
Service Dog Training Lab Student—26 hrs
Service Dog In-Training Handler—54 hrs
Therapeutic Equine Center Volunteer—2 hrs ( had just started)

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Various HS experiences/leadership (NHS president, soccer, peer mentoring, science bowl, track & field)—1862 hrs
Pre-Vet Club member and Treasurer—25 hrs
PAWS member and Event Coordinator—53 hrs
Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship member—80 hrs
Student Ambassador for Ag college—67 hrs
Pre-Vet Tutor—23 hrs
Service Dog Training Lab TA—24 hrs
Personal Hobby (singing, songwriting, playing guitar)—912 hrs

Competitive university academic scholarship
Competitive pre-vet academic scholarship
WV state academic scholarship
Ag college academic scholarship
President’s list (x3)
Dean’s List (x1)

Non-Animal Employment:
Chili’s hostess—270 hrs
Small business café crepe maker—297 hrs
Freshmen service project leader—15 hrs

LORs:
DVM1 (Clinic #1)—shadowed weekly for 3 semesters
DVM2 (Clinic #2)—worked under for the summer while applying
Supervisor for Student Ambassador position—knows my communication skills and work ethic very well
Academic Advisor—only added this because Cornell required

VMCAS Essay 1—I want to be a small animal GP, but I have an interest in animal behavior and may specialize in that. I talked about my experiences with mentoring and how it relates to helping pet owners. I mentioned my time working with service dogs to go along with my behavior interest.
VMCAS Essay 2—I discussed how vets have contributed to decreasing America's stray population. I explained how I want to create a business model that would allow low income pet owners to receive financial aid for exams, spay/neuters, and expenses related to long-term health conditions in an effort to reduce the number of pets being relinquished to shelters. I used my experiences while living in southern WV for this.
VMCAS Essay 3—I listed having good communication skills, a balanced realistic and compassionate approach to decision-making, and immense dedication. I provided specific examples from my life.
Personal Statement—I explained how COVID resulted in my experience hours being lower and less-diverse than I would’ve liked. I talked about my pre-COVID plans and how I adapted those plans to COVID. I then emphasized that I still felt very prepared for vet school and backed up my claim with my recent vet experiences.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
20 y/o, Female, OH, Traditional, 1st time

I picked schools based on average GPA acceptances
Applied: Ohio State, Ross, LMU, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Midwestern, Michigan,
Interview Invites: Ohio State, Ross, LMU, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Midwestern
Accepted: Ross, LMU, Minnesota, Midwestern. Waitlisted at Iowa, Purdue and Ohio
Attending: LMU!!

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.52
Last 45 GPA: 3.62

GRE: 45% quant, 52% verbal, 40% writing

CASPer: Yes

Degree(s): B.S. Biology with honors designation (Complete May 2021; only 3 years of undergrad)

Veterinary Experience:
1500 roughly
Working at a mixed animal practice for 2 years full time in summer and 20 hrs a week for school time
Shadowing since I was 13

Animal Experience:
Thousands I have no idea how much to be honest:
Working/ living on my families cattle and goat production farm
10 years if 4-H and FFA
Competitively riding retired thoroughbreds
working at a kennel
Volunteering with clark county 4-H

Research:
Enzyme activity on dredged material. will be published and have honors designation on my BS

Extracurriculars/Awards:
HS experiences/leadership FFA, student council, nationla honors society
Delta Zeta sorority
4-H advisor
Honors society member at WSU
National FFA degree
Multiple women in science scholarships
1 research scholarship
1 grant for research
Dean’s List all semesters but 1

Non-Animal Employment:
None

LORs:
DVM1 work with for 2 years
DVM2 worked with for 2 years
DVM3 clinic owner
Research PI

VMCAS Essay 1—I want to be a large animal DVM and be trained in some small animal to be able to help rural farmers
VMCAS Essay 2—talked about large animal vets impacts in rural america.
VMCAS Essay 3—Being creative in the field of vet med and being resilient to failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Very excited to be posting on this thread! :love:

24, F, CA, traditional, 1st time applicant:

Applied:
UC Davis, Western, Midwestern, Colorado, Washington, Oregon
Interview Invites:
UC Davis, Western, Midwestern (withdrew app)
Waiting to hear:
Western
Accepted:
UC Davis (waitlist #3/45) & Oregon!
Attending:
UC Davis! :soexcited:

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE:
Q- 156 (60%)/ V- 155 (68%)/AW- 4.5 (81%)

Degree(s):
B.S. Biomedical Sciences (cum laude)

Veterinary Experience:

Vet Assistant @ small animal ER- 2,500+ hrs

Animal Experience:
Pet sitting- 500ish hrs
Kennel tech- 840 hrs

Research:
undergraduate research on heat stress tolerance and underlying genetic mechanisms in marine snails (currently working on publishing)- 590+ hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:

• Biology Laureates Scholarship: awarded from my undergrad biology department. Covered the cost of my tuition for 3 years.
  • 2 research grants
  • 2 community scholarships
  • Dean’s Honors List: 8 semesters
  • Marching Band Member (color guard & played the synthesizer! :) ): 380 hrs

Non-Animal Employment:
  • Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) Facilitator (led supplemental class of ~14 students for science courses and promoted peer collaboration in problem solving)- 480 hrs
  • Cultural Competency Ambassador (created presentations to enhance cultural competency of fellow facilitators) - 50 hrs
  • Paraeducator (worked with students with special needs at high school level)- 120 hrs
  • Retail/Customer service (Kohl’s)- 1440 hrs
LORs:
ER DVM from the hospital I work at
Research PI
Physiology professor (and worked with me in the PAL facilitator program)

1st essay: discussed my future goals of research and teaching. I discussed how my involvement in undergrad research and peer mentoring shaped these goals

2nd essay: vets contribute to public health through research and academia. I highlighted my intent to pursue comparative medicine research and desire to help increase cultural competency of future vets through academia.

3rd essay: highlighted importance of effective communication and problem solving. Again highlighted importance of cultural competency when communicating with clients and how I used problem solving in my research.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! Looking forward to being a part of this awesome field with you all!! :biglove:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
22, female, NJ resident, traditional, this was my first year applying

Applied:
Colorado State University, Cornell, Penn, Tufts, Purdue, OSU, MSU, NC State,
Interview Invites:
Tufts (declined), Purdue, Penn
Waiting to hear:
n/a
Accepted:
Colorado, Cornell, Penn, Purdue
Attending:
Either Colorado State or Cornell :soexcited:

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:
3.98 or something

GRE (Q/V/W):
I forget but my math was reallyyy bad. Only Penn required GRE this cycle.

Degree(s): Animal Science

Veterinary Experience:

Two different vet hospitals. Worked as vet assistant & CSR.
Experience - 1090

Animal Experience:
Experience - 561

Research:
Writing an undergrad thesis on avian migratory behavior mechanisms
Experience - 175

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Executive Director of Habitat for Humanity at Penn State
Studied abroad in Africa (studied EcoHealth) and Portugal (studied international dairy)
Involved in a handful of clubs
Child grief support volunteer for two years

Non-Animal Employment:
Warehouse worker
Learning Assistant for Organic Chemistry

LORs: 4
Veterinarian/Hospital Owner of hospital I've worked at
Organic Chem professor who I was a Learning Assistant for
Dean of PSU College of Science
Thesis research advisor

Described how I became interested in veterinary public health after studying abroad and how I developed an interest in comparative medicine through my undergrad research laboratory. Wrote about how my dad passed away suddenly when I was a kid and how my experience with everyone in my community supporting my family made me want to get involved in service & have a career that would help people.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Can't believe I get to post here !!:biglove:
23, Female, Iowa, Traditional, 2nd time applicant

Applied: ISU, KSU, Ohio, Missouri, Colorado, Midwestern, NC State, U of AZ, Illinois
Interview Invites: KSU, Midwestern (declined) , Illinois
Accepted: KSU, ISU, Illinois
Attending: most likely Iowa State since its my IN-STATE!!! Just hoping if I want to pursue zoo med at all that that'll be a good possibility there :love:

Overall GPA: 3.5
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.77

GRE (Q/V/W): N/A

Degree(s): Bachelors in Biology

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
2500 hours - small animal/exotics
50 hours - vet tech volunteer for shelter
80 hours - large animal
10 hours - equine
100 hours - zoo medicine/wildlife/exotics assisting with immobilization procedures on many different exotic species

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
120 hours - equine barn volunteer
10 hours - pocket pet care volunteer
50 hours - kennel shelter attendant volunteer
1300 hours - zoo / big cat carnivore care internship
10 hours - zoo / various ungulate species

Research:
Experience - (hrs)
ACL injury prevention - 200 hours, for a class

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
College soccer athlete - 3500 hours
Dance marathon executive board member - 50 hours
food pantry volunteer - 40 hours

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)
assistant youth soccer coach - 50 hours
waitress - 2000 hours
school work study job - 860 hours (had to put myself through school)
food concessions server - 800 hours
corn detasseling - 800 hours

LORs:

1 small animal/exotic veterinarian
1 large animal veterinarian
2 science professors
1 volunteer supervisor at equine barn

I wrote about how I was originally wanting to go into social work because I have always wanted to help people, but also fell in love with science and the medicine aspect for animals so vet med was the bridge between the two for me and that's how I would approach working within the profession.

I also wrote about how veterinarians should be patient, compassionate, and resilient. Then I just talked about what in my life showed that I also possess those qualities.

And some advice I have regarding your essays is to not hold back!!!! Reading back my essays made me super emotional that way I hopefully knew that admissions committees would really see my passion and I could make an impact that way. I don't think you can come off too strong if this is TRULY your dream :)
My first cycle I held back in my essays and didn't have as much luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Low GPA post! Writing this on my partner’s behalf (with his permission) because he’s too modest and doesn't like talking about his accomplishments.

29, male, Georgia resident, non-traditional, 2nd cycle.

Applied: UGA, Western, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol
Interview Invites: Western, Ohio, Minnesota, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol (declined)
Rejected: Michigan, Glasgow, Ohio
Waitlisted: Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa
Accepted: Minnesota, UGA, Western, Edinburgh
Attending: UGA!

Overall GPA: 3.2 - 3.52 (depending on grade replacement)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.1 - 3.7 (ditto)
Last 45: 2.85
Last 30: 3.58

Those low GPAs include 14 Ws and 8 Fs, though all were years old. He retook a lot of classes and his postbacc grades were straight As.

GRE (Q/V/W): 163 (84%) / 169 (99%) / 6.0 (99%)

Degree(s): BSc in Biology (originally a music major)

Veterinary Experience:
7000+ hours as a vet assistant across several shelter clinics, mostly SA but with some LA and exotics

Animal Experience:
80 hours volunteering at a wildlife center
39 hours volunteering at a stables

Research:
100+ hours lab experience

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Honors scholarship
1st year music scholarship
Hope scholarship
Concert clarinetist
Music tutor (for high school students)
oSTEM member
Science Olympiad volunteer
Volunteer at foot clinic for open door community

Non-Animal Employment:
Music tuition, book shop, clerical work, grocery store, cafe

LORs:
Two vets and undergrad professor

Focused on his substantial work experience across several shelters and how much he had worked to overcome past problems.

First cycle he only applied to UGA and got rejected. Although acing the GRE, writing strong essays, and having excellent veterinary experience certainly helped overcome his grades, what changed between cycles was also getting glowing LoRs and straight As in his prereq classes.

We targeted schools that offered grade replacement and/or took the last 30/36, but in the end UGA accepted him anyway (they don’t do grade replacement), so his accepted stats for them were 3.2/3.1/2.85. Just goes to show how much of a crapshoot the process can be!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Woohoo! Congrats to everyone that got in this cycle. It was truly surreal reading the acceptance letter and knowing that I am only 4 more years to completing one of my lifelong goals! Definitely a lot of hurdles along the way (cough...cough... Ochem), but through trials and tribulation I am blessed with the opportunity to post in this thread. Feel free to PM me with any questions about my application!

21, Male, Georgia Resident, Traditional, 1st Time Applying

Applied:
Georgia
Interview Invites:
None
Waiting to hear:
None
Accepted:
Georgia
Attending:
Georgia 🐶

(GPAs provided were those provided to the VMCAS)

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
157 / 154 / 4.0

Degree(s): Completing B.S. Biological Sciences

Veterinary Experience:

Internship through High School Veterinary Assistant Program - 20 Hours

UGA VetCAMP - 20 hours

Small Animal Practice (Through 5 different practices and 1 Mobile Vaccination Service) - ~2500 Hours

Animal Experience:

Volunteering at Shelter - 100 hrs

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Deans List - All Completed semesters except for 1

Eagle Scout Award

Completion of UGA VetCAMP Program - 2017

Math and Science Achievement Award - 2019

Completion of Grayson Tech Veterinary Assistant Program - 1017

Completion of Duke TiP Zoology and Animal Science Program - 2013,2014

Non-Animal Employment:
Teaching Assistant for Microbiology Course: 2 Semesters
Bus Boy at Local Restaurant: 100 hours
Automotive Service Technician - 250 hours
Lifeguard: 40 hours

LORs:
2 Letters from Veterinarians at different practices (both where I am currently employed)
1 Letter from Advisor/Anatomy and Physiology Professor

Dont remember much from this section tbh but I touched upon my desire to be a Veterinarian since middle school and the many steps that I took to prepare for my career including attending Animal specific courses at Summer Camp and proceeding to complete a Veterinary Assistant Program during the senior year of high school. Also touched upon my desire to join the Army Veterinary Corp after graduation and general small animal practice afterwards.

• Love
I can't believe that I finally get to post on this thread!! It still doesn't feel real that I'm going to vet school this fall! :soexcited:

For those of you who are reading this that have just been rejected, please don't give up hope. Use this next year to grow as a person, gain new experiences, and make connections! I tell everyone that getting rejected last year was the best thing for me because it allowed me to get to know who I really am as a person outside of school and if this is really the career for me.

23 y/o, F, GA resident, traditional, 2nd time applying

Applied: UGA
Interview Invites: N/A
Waiting to hear: N/A
Accepted: UGA
Attending: UGA

Overall GPA: 3.64
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.55
Last 45 GPA: 3.90

GRE (Q/V/W): 148 / 153 / 4.5 (I only took it once!)

Degree(s): B.S. Animal Science (cum laude)

Veterinary Experience:
- Shadowing at an equine clinic: 400ish hours
- Shadowing/assisting at a mobile equine clinic: 24 hours
- LA ICU vet assistant: 12 hours+ (just got hired when applications were due because of COVID but have 300+ hours now)
- Receptionist at a SA clinic: 500ish hours
- Shadowing/assisting at a different SA clinic: 64 hours

Animal Experience:
- I have thousands of hours of hands-on horse experience since I've owned horses most of my life and have groomed and ridden for a lot of local trainers. The same goes for small animal experience since I've had dogs and cats most of my life. The only other thing that I listed besides horses, dogs, and cats was the 200 hours of volunteer work I did at a local beef cattle farm.

Research:
- Undergraduate equine biomechanics research focusing on how PEMF therapy affects gait quality: 300 hours

Extracurriculars:
- Hunter/jumper rider
- Block and Bridle club member
- Owner and writer of my own blog
- Volunteer horse judging mentor
- Volunteer 4-H horse quiz bowl judge
- Volunteer horse camp mentor
- Research symposium contestant
- Band member (clarinet)
- FFA officer in high school

Awards:
- Dean's list for multiple semesters
- Graduated cum laude from UGA
- Ingles Markets Scholarship
- AP Scholar in high school
- 2015 Georgia State FFA Horse Evaluation Individual Champion (went on to place in the top 10 nationally out of 300+ exhibitors)
- FFA State Degree

Non-Animal Employment:
None!

LORs:
- Equine vet who I worked with for years
- Equine anatomy and biomechanics professor who supervised my research
- Equine exercise phys professor who I worked with extensively throughout undergrad

1. I discussed my goal of becoming an equine veterinarian and pursuing board certification in sports medicine and rehabilitation. I talked about how my love of biomechanics, my extensive experience with performance horses, and my experiences in the equine industry have shaped my goals within the field of veterinary medicine.

2. I emphasized how veterinarians impact the lives of their clients and the welfare of the animals in their area through education and research. I then went on to elaborate on how I would improve the equine industry in my area through client and community education as well as research.

3. I wrote about how veterinarians should be effective decision-makers, have good problem-solving skills, and be able to connect and empathize with their clients. I then wrote about how my experiences as a SA clinic receptionist and assisting at LA clinics have prepared me to utilize these skills when I become a veterinarian.

• Love
20, F, Ohio, Traditional, 1st time applicant

Applied: Ohio, Minnesota, Cornell, Wisconsin, Colorado
Interview Invites: Ohio, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Cornell
Accepted: Ohio State, Minnesota
Attending: The Ohio State University!!

Overall GPA: 3.83
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6-3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.67

GRE (Q/V/W): 155 / 150 / 4.0

Degree(s): B.S. Biology

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal assistant - 1500 hours
Shadowing at zoo - 80 hours
Horse vet shadowing - 10 hours (thanks COVID)
Midwest Veterinary Conference - attended lectures for 2 years during undergrad

Animal Experience:
4-H with goats - 2,000 hours
Mobile grooming service (particularly focused on assisting the elderly during COVID) - 150 hours

Research:
Chemical Research - 150 hours
This research looked at levels of lead and cadmium in dog toys during my second semester of undergrad
Honors Thesis and Defense - 200 hours
I am currently finishing my thesis at the Cleveland Zoo. I do behavioral research on the gorilla troop. I think this was huge in my interviews!

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Food Bank
Kid’s Book Bank
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Medwish - organizing medical supplies to be distributed to countries in need
President of Pre-Vet Club
Theta Phi Alpha sorority (Executive Board Position) alumni relations too
Order of Omega (top 3% academics of Greek Life)
TRIO (First Generation Students)
CRU Bible study - 1 hour biweekly
Intramural volleyball
Dean’s List every semester
University Honors Program
OHSAA Scholarship athlete award

Non-Animal Employment:
Tutoring and peer coaching 15-20 hours per week during the school year
I was a cashier supervisor but I didn’t include this on my app - I wish I did!

LORs:
Veterinarian/ GP Practice Owner
Veterinarian/Professor at vet tech school
Animal biology professor
Pre-Vet Advisor

I wrote so many essays this cycle! I focused the personal statement essays on my goals in service, education, and community outreach. Volunteering and mentoring are a huge part of my undergraduate career and future goals. I would like to be a veterinarian in resource-limited communities. I also focused other essay questions on my experiences navigating higher education as a first-generation student and skills I have learned through those experiences.

Tips
I invested so much time and energy into my interview skills and I received acceptances from both schools that I interviewed with. Practice as much as possible! Have friends and family ask you questions and make sure you remember how many experiences you have and how it relates to vet med!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, hopefully someone can help me confirm that we should be filing for 2021-22 FAFSA and not 2020-21? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, hopefully someone can help me confirm that we should be filing for 2021-22 FAFSA and not 2020-21? Thanks!!
yep that's what I did, since we will be attending 21-22 school year

23, Male, Maine resident, Traditional, First-Time Applicant

Applied: Tufts, Cornell, NC State, Oregon State, Wisconsin
Interview Invites: Tufts
Waiting to hear: None
Rejected: NC State
Waitlisted: Cornell
Accepted: Oregon State, Wisconsin, Tufts
Attending: Most likely Oregon, unless Tufts financial aid is significant

Overall GPA: 3.97
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.93
Last 45 GPA: 3.96

GRE (Q/V/W): 166 (87%) / 166 (97%) / 5.0 (92%)

Degree(s): BS in Biology, Dec 2019

Veterinary Experience:
-1300 hrs in ER department as tech assistant (later with a lot of VA/tech duties) - probably around 200 hours of this were spent in other departments at same hospital including surgery, IM, neuro
-80 hrs interning at a GP during college

Animal Experience:
-50 hrs working with sheep, alpaca at nearby farm
-Hundreds of hours from helping raise and care for chickens growing up at home
-100+ hrs dog sitting

Research:

-50 hrs researching animal behavior and restraining/calming techniques used by veterinarians for senior paper

Extracurriculars/Awards:
-President’s List every semester in college
-Award for highest graduating GPA in my major
-Bunch of scholarships from university and outside ones
-Member of health sciences/bio club
-Volunteer experience at cancer runs, homeless awareness event, coach at youth basketball camp, mostly in HS
-HS salutatorian
-Honorary Science Award in high school
-Basketball and baseball in HS, couple of scholar-athlete awards

Non-Animal Employment:

-Thousands of hrs as a carpenter (6+ years of full-time and part-time work)
-400 hours as a landscaper

LORs:
-ER Vet I work with extensively at emergency clinic
-Advisor who was also my Gen Chem teacher
-Physiology professor

-Wrote about how I wanted to go into ER medicine, become board certified in critical care if possible, and how I felt my qualities were a good fit for the field. Talked about working nights in an ER clinic for a year, and my own experiences bringing in my pets during emergencies in the past.

SO excited to finally post in here!!

21, Female, NJ resident, Traditional, First-Time Applicant

Applied: Tufts, Cornell, UPenn, Purdue, Ohio State, UF, NC State, Auburn, Colorado State
Interview Invites: Tufts, UPenn, Purdue, Auburn
Rejected: NC State, Ohio State, UF, Colorado State
Waitlisted: Cornell, Purdue
Accepted: Tufts, UPenn, Auburn
Attending: Not sure yet!

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.89
Last 45 GPA: 3.91

GRE (Q/V/W): 151 (40%) / 157 (75%) / 4.5 (80%)

Degree(s): B.S. in Animal and Poultry Science expected May 2021

Veterinary Experience:
- 500 hours as a vet assistant for an equine referral hospital
- 100 hours shadowing/assisting a small animal vet at a mixed animal GP
- 20 hours shadowing/assisting an ambulatory equine sports med vet
- 15 hours volunteering at a spay/neuter clinic

Animal Experience:
- 15,000+ hours as a competitive equestrian and horse owner
- 280 hours as a working student for a professional show jumping facility
- 65 hours volunteering at a local animal shelter
- 30 hours volunteering at a wildlife refuge

Research:
- 90 hours in a ruminant nutrition lab

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Dean's List every semester
- ASAS Undergraduate Scholar Recognition Award
- Emily Jane Hilscher Memorial Scholarship
- John Alton Spivey Scholarship
- Dr. Arden N. Huff Scholarship
- Distinguished University Scholarship

Non-Animal Employment:
- 360 hours mowing lawns
- 480 hours as a sales rep
- 100 hours as a barista
- 300 hours as a waitress

LORs:
- Equine surgeon
- Ruminant nutritionist/professor
- Academic advisor

I wrote mostly about my extensive background with sport horses, specific goals in equine medicine, and possibly becoming board certified in sports medicine and rehabilitation. I also tried to tie in how my variety of experiences with different species has shaped my understanding of the profession and how I would be able to contribute to the profession as a whole.

25, Female, Idaho, Non-traditional applicant, First time applicant!

Applied:
WSU and Ohio
Interview Invites: WSU and Ohio
Waiting to hear: None.
Accepted: WSU and Ohio
Attending: Washington State!

Overall GPA: According to VMCAS - 3.15. (I had to retake quite a few classes that I had an "X" in. Unfortunately, VMCAS does not replace the "X" with the class that was taken again. So, all of the "X" grades still counted as 0 toward my overall GPA calculation.)
My overall GPA on my transcript was a 3.69.

Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.71
Last 45 GPA: ~3.9

GRE (Q/V/W): 148 (29%) / 153 (59%) / 3.5 (38%)
I had to take the GRE from home this summer and ended up with some major technical issues on their part. I did awful and sped through it in two hours flat because of their time constraints. I explained this on my application and opted not to retake it.

Degree(s): None! Started my prerequisite courses for these specific schools in fall of 2018. I'll be finishing my last prerequisite course this spring, then starting vet school in the fall!

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - 10,000+ hrs.
I began shadowing at a clinic when I was 17 and was offered a job right out of high school. I started working as a kennel assistant in 2013 and continued to work at a practice full time for the next 5 years. I had worked my way up to lead veterinary technician when I returned to school in 2018. I worked in an emergency clinic, as well as a regular practice and have experience in small animal, large animal, exotics, zoo and shelter medicine, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, acupuncture, and more.

Animal Experience:
Experience - 2,700+ hrs.
I worked for a mobile grooming service for a year as a part time job for some extra money. Also in this section, I listed pet-sitting, professional dog training, and fostering for the local humane society.

Research:
Experience - 32 hrs.
Stem cell therapy after orthopedic surgeries done in the practice I was working at.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - 2,000+ hrs.
I listed my years of marching band in high school, club memberships (HALO, 4-H, etc.), and volunteer time as a pianist for local churches and nursing homes. I was also on the Dean's list since my return in 2018.

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - 1,200 hrs.
I have been a part time note-taker for the university's disability services department for over a year.

LORs:
2 practice owners/DVMs at different clinics
2 other local veterinarians
1 math professor from 2019

My essays highlighted my extensive experience in the field over the years. I spoke about losing my father to cancer in 2018 and returning to school after having promised him to obtain my DVM. I also discussed One Health initiatives as they relate to the veterinary field. All of my answers were very personal and included further experiences/stories than I could list in the "Experience" sections.

I'd be happy to send extra details or my essays to anyone who wants to know more! Feel free to message me. It's been a long road to my acceptances, and I definitely had to work hard to improve my GPA to prove I could handle vet school. Congratulations to everybody starting this fall!

• Love
21, female, Ohio, 2nd time applicant
SO EXCITED TO GET TO POST HERE!!!

Applied:
Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Louisiana State, North Carolina State, Iowa State, Illinois, Missouri, Florida, Kansas State, Georgia, Arizona, Purdue
Interview Invites: Ohio State, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas State, Purdue
Waitlisted: Iowa, Illinois, Georgia, Ohio State (top 3 on IS waitlist)
Accepted: Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas State
Attending: Missouri (possibly Ohio if called off waitlist)

Overall GPA: 3.78

Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

GRE (Q/V/W): 157 (64%) / 155 (68%) / 4 (57%)

Degree(s): Bachelor of Science in Animal Science, minor in Chemistry

Veterinary Experience:
Worked in a small animal GP for about 3 years
Worked in an ER/specialty clinic for 6 months
Shadowed multiple board certified veterinarians at the specialty clinic
Studied under large animal and equine veterinarians at college

Animal Experience:
Worked at a boarding facility for 2 years
Washed dogs for about 6 months
Shelter volunteer
Volunteered at an exotics rescue

Research:
Small project completed working with cats, no more than 20 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Dean's list every semester
VP of a non-veterinary related club
Awarded half-scholarship for academic achievements
Graduated Magna Cum Laude

Non-Animal Employment:
Worked at 2 different retail stores while in college

LORs:
2 practice owners/DVM's
2 professors

Tried to focus on why I wanted to become a veterinarian and why I specifically want to practice veterinary oncology. Highlighted my experiences and what I learned from each one. Discussed the doctors I have worked with and which traits I deem important for a veterinarian to possess. Overall, I tried to focus on what I gained from each experience and how each one helped prepare me for veterinary school.

I’ve scoured these threads for years and I can’t believe I finally get to post here! I am living proof that an average/below average GPA can still get in as long as you put in the work for experience!!! Put yourself out there and don’t let self-doubt make you give up!!

23, Female, Florida resident, Traditional applicant, 2nd time applying

Applied: Purdue, Michigan State, Illinois, Lincoln Memorial, Iowa State, VMCVM, Mizzou, Wisconsin, Ohio State
Rejected: Purdue, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Mizzou, Michigan State
Interview invites: LMU, Illinois
Waitlisted: Iowa State, VMCVM
Accepted: Illinois
Attending: ILLINOIS!🧡

Cumulative GPA: 3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.3

GRE (Q/V/W): 33% / 67% / 55%

Degree: B.S. in Integrative Animal Biology completed Fall 2020

Vet experience:
- 320 hours in my new job as a vet assistant in a small animal ER/ICU (wasn’t able to put this on VMCAS but talked about it in my interview!)
- 4000+ hours as a small animal & exotic vet tech
- 90 hours as a vet tech on a mobile small animal hospital
- 60 hours as a foal sitter, shadow, & tech assistant at a 24-hour equine hospital in Ocala
- 16 hours as a bovine/wildlife vet shadow
- 8 hours as a vet tech volunteer in a small animal ER hospital

Animal experience:
- 560+ hours as a full-time curator assistant at a wildlife facility in Indiana helping care for their bison herd
- 900+ hours as a full-time intern for summer 2019 at a wildlife facility in Indiana working with wolves, foxes, & bison and helping hand-raise two baby grey fox kits
- 960 hours as a dog bather at petsmart grooming salon in early years of college
- 650 hours riding horses/barrel racing throughout childhood-high school
- 300+ hours as a humane society canine volunteer throughout high school
- 300+ hours petsitting/dog walking
- 60 hours as farmhand on a miniature horse farm
- 30 hours as a wildlife volunteer at a local crocodile/reptile center

Research:
- 80 hours creating a long-term research project on bison behavior and grazing patterns at the wildlife facility I interned at
- 20+ hours working on zoology & entomology research for two courses in my senior year of undergrad

Extracurriculars:
- Pre-Veterinary Society/PVMA member (between 2 different schools)
- Equestrian team at my school
- Gaelic Athletic Association

Non-animal employment:
- Fine dining restaurant (high school)
- Burger restaurant (high school)

Awards/Scholarships/Certificates:
- Dean’s List
- Presidential scholarship
- Women’s Leadership scholarship
- Certified in Gauged CO2 Remote Drug Delivery & gun safety for cattle & wild hoofstock

LORs:
- 4 small animal veterinarians & practice owners that I’ve worked with for the past 3+ years
- Bison curator & my mentor from my wildlife internship
- Public health professor I took a course with in my senior year of undergrad

Essays:
Essentially talked about my goals to provide affordable, 24/7, all-species veterinary care to rural and underserved communities and how my experiences opened my eyes to the lack of veterinary care in some areas and led me to form these goals. Talked about some landmark cases that stick out in my tech career that required personal characteristics essential to the veterinary field. In my personal statement I talked about my path to Vet Med and how 4 years ago I walked out of my university and thought I’d never go back to undergrad, but started at a vet clinic & despite the hardest days & burnout, it opened my eyes to my dream career!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hope for average/lower science gpa! Still can’t believe I get to post here :)

20 y/o, female, Iowa resident, first time applicant.

Applied: ISU (IS), Colorado, Illinois, Kansas
Interview Invites: Illinois
Waiting to hear:
Accepted: Illinois
Attending: Illinois!

Overall GPA: 3.65
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.33 (vmcas calculated)
Last 45 GPA: ~3.5-3.6 honestly don’t remember lol

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
Didn’t take

Degree(s): B.A. in Biology graduating April 2021

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
Kennel tech/Assist/Pet care tech at a small animal clinic- 2100 hours
Shadowed at a mixed practice frequently- 220 hours
Shadow at zoo- 5 hours
Shadow at large animal practice- 15 hours
Assisted on whale necropsy- 6 hours

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
Weekend boarding- 440 hours
Farm husbandry assist- 100 hours
Equine barn volunteer- 6 hours
Aquarium volunteer and shark husbandry- 15 hours

Research:
Research internship in South Africa assisting on Great White Shark population studies and genetic sampling on benthic cat sharks- 225 hours
*wasn’t on vmcas* currently a research assistant in the psych lab this semester doing research on false memories

Volunteer:
Beach clean ups- 8 hours
Making ecobricks- 10 hours
Volunteer at local theatre club- 15 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Musical theatre- 4000+ hours
Show choir/choir- 2000 hours
Photography- 150 hours
Speech club- ~300 hours (?)
Avid hiker- 5000+ hours
Football manager- 150 hours
Dean’s list x2
President’s list x2
Dean’s scholarship
Iowa Top Reader
Honor roll throughout high school

Non-Animal Employment:
General chemistry tutor- 200 hours
After school teacher at an elementary school- 330 hours
Swim lesson instructor- 500 hours
Night manager at Dairy Queen- 2000 hours
Actress/Model with local agency- 40 hours
Actress on Hawaii Five-O- 40 hours
Worked at a children’s daycare- 80 hours

LORs:
Practice manager at my clinic
Small animal vet
Chemistry professor
Trig professor
Another professor

Essays:
I know they’re changing them a bit this year, but I’ll still put mine down!
Careers essay- Talked about my research in South Africa and having an interest in conservation medicine.

Attributes of a vet- Pretty sure I said teachability, resilience, and mindfulness. I talked a ton here about my extracurriculars and hobbies. Also talked about growing up as a military brat and living in 5 different states before starting high school.

Areas of vet med- Went over the different types of veterinarians and talked about some of my experiences.

Overall my biggest advice is to put EVERYTHING down. I don’t think I would’ve gotten accepted if I hadn’t put all my work experience and extracurriculars. If they don’t care about it they’ll just ignore it :). I really was thinking I’d be reapplying next cycle, so please don’t lose hope if you’re not accepted right away. It took getting rejected at my in state school to realize that it isn’t a good fit for my learning style or career interests. Don’t lose hope!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
21, female, Louisiana resident, traditional, first time applicant

Applied: LSU
Interview Invites: LSU
Waiting to hear:
Accepted: LSU
Attending: LSU💛🐯💜

Overall GPA: 3.71
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.68
Last 45 GPA: 3.62

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
N/A: didnt take

Degree(s): Last semester of Bachelors of Science in Agriculture

Veterinary Experience:
Experience -
2000+ hours at small animal ER
500 hrs small animal GP
Multiple Wet Labs with vets~ 50hrs

Animal Experience:
Experience -
4-H Swine Projects: 12000+ hours over 10 years.
Swine breeding (AI) ~ 50hrs
Horseback Riding Club~ 3000 hrs
LSU AgMagic Volunteer~ 30 hrs
Livestock Judging Team~ 100hrs

Research:
Experience -
Agriculture research on composition of soil that house grazing swine

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience -
Special Olympics
Autism Walks
Pre-Vet Club
Catholic students club
Deans List/Prez List
Multiple scholarships

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience -
State Farm Secretary ~ 300hrs

LORs:
3 vets and 1 advisor

I wrote generally about my experience and my passion for youth livestock programs. I also spoke about my cousin with Autism who loves to show his pigs and how it has affected my choice to become a veterinarian. Be yourself and write from your heart about something that matters to you.

Last edited:
  • Love
37, female, Idaho resident, Non-traditional applicant, 1st time applying (I’m a Canadian citizen but I moved to the US in 2011. Currently a US resident/green card holder)

Applied: Washington State & Midwestern
Interview Invites: WSU & Midwestern
Accepted: WSU & Midwestern
Attending: WSU!!!
Overall GPA: 3.46 (undergrad degree), 3.55 (undergrad and post-bacc) I was told they wouldn’t look as heavily on my old grades since they were from 14+ years ago.
Science Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0
GRE (Q/V/W): 158/149/3.5 I only took the GRE once, about two weeks before the VMCAS deadline due to Covid

Degree(s):
-Bachelors of Commerce (Marketing major) at McGill University (in Canada) from 2006
-Completed prerequisites as a post-bacc

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - 1096 hrs
  • Volunteered at mixed animal practice seeing canine, feline, bovine, and equine patients (600hrs)
  • Veterinary Technician at the same mixed animal practice above (478 hrs at time of application, still working 25-40 hrs a week)
  • Shadowed canine orthopedic surgeries at another clinic (18hrs)

Animal Experience:
Experience - (~ 5,000 hrs) I listed everything including pet ownership (WSU told me during an admissions meeting to include it)

These hours included:
  • Avian ownership and caregiving
  • Dog walker (volunteered through ASPCA Montreal Canada)
  • Canine ownership and caregiving
  • Horse stable hand and groom
  • Equine 4H assistant
  • Equestrian competitor (in Canada)
  • Assisting in equine hand breeding
  • Equine ownership and caregiving
  • Obedience and Therapy dog training
  • Agility dog training
  • Equestrian competitor reined cow horse (in Idaho)
  • Range rider (checking cattle in the mountains on horseback)
  • Coached young equestrian

Research:
Experience - (120 hrs)
Paid laboratory assistant doing research on the blue-banded goby fish and the endocrinological changes it experiences as it changes sex. They can change sex back and forth as much they need depending on their environment.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience:
  • I included all hobbies including leatherwork, gold prospecting, art, playing guitar, hunting, fishing, hiking,
  • Added a cool fact that I was an extra in the TV show “Yellowstone” 🥰
  • Experiences from high school through college: Student council member, Jazz band club, Played softball and hockey
  • I included the fact I was on the Deans list or honor roll most of my way through school and my first degree.
  • Made sure to include all volunteer work. Most of the organized volunteering was prior to 2006. Since then I have done a lot for my community including bringing meals for elderly neighbors, helping plow snow, helping move water lines, donating art and goods to the women’s shelter or church, also picking a local family every Christmas to buy gifts for. WSU told me to include anything I’ve done to help those in my community even if it wasn’t organized by an association or club.

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (~40,000hrs) Keep in mind I have been working for a while!
  • Chiropractor Assistant/Receptionist (worked here just after high school)
  • Office manager/ Assistant Manager for my families outfitting business in Arctic Canada.
  • Direct Care staff at a teen boy recovery ranch. We used horses as a therapeutic aid. It was a rough and stressful job full of sad cases, but I learnt a lot about myself.
  • I started my first business at 12 years old. It was a jewelry business where I’d sell at local craft shows and farmers markets.
  • At 18 I started playing around with polymer clay. It started off as me making strictly Christmas ornaments. In 2014 I started creating custom figurines. Clients send me photos of their dogs, cats, horses, really anything and I make a figurine to look like the pet. I still make these and can stay busy enough to make a decent income. I will continue to create these during veterinary school.

LORs:
  • 3 Veterinarians, including the practice owner from the clinic I currently work at. I know my boss wishes I was already graduating as he’s ready to hire me 🤣
  • Academic: Gen Chem II professor

1- Future goal question: I started by discussing how my summers as a child were spent in Arctic Canada at my families outfitting locations. Biologists and wildlife veterinarians would often come to our camps to do research on caribou and muskox. My fear of blood held me back for years until I realized it was a psychological barrier that I had overcome through time. I discussed how my interest in bovine medicine grew through my summers spent as a range rider checking cattle on horseback. I focused on how serving my community and its large and small animals has been very rewarding. By shadowing orthopedic procedures I would love to bring these skills to rural practice. Many small clinics like mine only cast, splint or amputate. Finally I mentioned the shortage of veterinarians in rural Idaho and how I would like to work in one of these areas.

2- Veterinarians in society: My intro highlighted the range of sectors veterinarians serve. The essay primarily discussed the food/production side of veterinary medicine and taking a One Health approach. Also highlighting a time I took a stand for the well-being of my community, our animals and water supply when a local landfill was not following laws and regulations.

3- Attributes: I made sure to include a good example of myself exhibiting each attribute.

Communication skills and the ability to listen. Both within the veterinary clinic team and with clients. Discussed adapting ones way of speaking and vocabulary with those not knowledgeable in medical jargon. Compassion
Resiliency

Definitely try not to have any repetition in your essays. With WSU having three of their own essay prompts I made sure that the 6 essays that they read were all new information and ideas. I made sure that my VMCAS essays highlighted everything I wanted Midwestern to see (since they didn’t have any supplemental essays). It was still hard to do as I thought my WSU essays were the best, especially the “Why me?” And “How my interest in veterinary medicine has developed?”

Take advantage of the SDN veterinary students and practicing veterinarians who offer to proof read and brainstorm with you! Two students read through my work and gave me confidence that I was submitting strong essays. After that I submitted them to my colleges English tutoring department for a final proofreading.

I’d be more than happy to help any applicant who have questions or need any guidance! The application process is long and stressful. Just know that I’m here if anyone needs someone to chat with, just message me 😊

• Love
I have been lurking on here since 2016 and can’t believe I am typing this right now!

32, F, Louisiana, Non-traditional applicant, 2nd time applicant

Applied: LSU
Interview Invites: LSU
Waiting to hear: 0
Accepted: LSU
Attending: LSU

Overall GPA: Not sure but around a 3.0 (LSU uses last 45)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.8 (3.75 prerequisite GPA specifically for LSU)
Last 45 GPA: 3.6

GRE (Q/V/W): was not required this cycle

Degree(s): Bachelor of Science in Geophysics with a minor in math; Associate of Science in Registered Nursing

Veterinary Experience: Small Animal and Equine
Experience - Not sure of the exact hrs, but worked in small animal both part time and full time for 3 years. Worked for an equine race track practice part time for 5 years (seasonal 5 months out of year)

Animal Experience: Ridden and owned horses since I was a about 8 years old, have had birds, snakes, dogs, cats, etc.

Research: None
Experience - (hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards: Riding Horses
Experience - (hrs) too many to count lol

Non-Animal Employment: Operations Specialist for an oil service company

LORs: 5
Title of recommender: 3 veterinarians, 1 of which I worked for, 1 I know personally, and the other I have shadowed and used her as my horse vet, 2 professors

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 22, f, Florida US, traditional, 1

Applied: UF, WSU, Oregon, UCD, Tufts, U of A, Midwestern, Illinois, Cornell
Interview Invites: 3
Accepted: Midwestern, Tufts, Illinois
Attending: Tufts

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.94
Last 45 GPA: 3.96

GRE (Q/V/W): 159 (69%) / 162 (90%) / 4.5 (80%)

Degree(s): BS

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - 400 (hrs)

Animal Experience:
Experience - 1000 (hrs)

Research:
Experience - 150 (hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards: Student government, Pi Beta Phi fraternity, Order of Omega, OCEAN club, pre vet club, Peace Corps Prep, Honors program, Deans list 8 times, $2k research grant

Non-Animal Employment: Tutoring, retail

LORs:
Title of recommender (Vet? Manager? Supervisor? Vet tech?) Vet, Professor, Head of Health Professions Advisory Committee

• Love
35, F, NY resident, Non-Traditional, 1st Gen student, 1st-time applicant

Applied: Cornell (IS), Purdue, LMU, Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan, Colorado, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, UAZ, Tennessee, Mizzou, Oklahoma
Interview Invites: Purdue, LMU, Kansas, Minnesota, UAZ
Waiting to hear: Cornell (Waitlist), LMU, Iowa (Waitlist), Wisconsin (Waitlist)
Accepted: Purdue, Kansas, Minnesota and UAZ
Attending: Purdue!!!! (Unless Cornell calls me)

Overall GPA: 3.17 (at time of application: this has since gone up- I dropped out of college at 18 and had some F’s to overcome from not withdrawing)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.66
Last 45 GPA: 3.80

GRE (Q/V/W): 157 (64%) / 157 (76%) /4.5 (81%)

Degree(s): B.S. Biology (May 2021)

Veterinary Experience:
SA Hospital shadow-hands on experience- 396hrs

Animal Experience:
Shadow at a Dairy Farm - 15hrs
Dog Foster-51hrs
Adult pet ownership-I struggled with whether to include this, but these are all animals that I cared for extensively on my own as an independent adult, and I explained that in my description of the experience- (Disabled dog, Dog, Cat, Ball Python)- 1628 hrs

Research:
Animal Behavior Research -Presented two posters at two conferences and a 3-minute talk at the national Animal Behavior Society conference - 160hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Dean’s List and Dean’s High Honors every semester since I’ve been back
Scholarships
Legal & Ethical Training Certificate (Auto Industry)
Sales Award from Manufacturer (Auto Industry)
High School Scholarships and Awards

Non-Animal Employment:

18,880 hrs- Auto Industry, moving from lower-level positions to sales to management to a Finance Director role, managing a department of 3 Finance Managers for a Fortune 500 company.
15,600 hrs- Dental experience, ranging from reception to billing to corporate trainer.

LORs:
Bio Professor and Research PI
Owner/Vet at the SA Hospital I shadowed at
General Manager of the Dealership I work for (I’ve worked with him for 8 years)

I wrote a lot about how my experiences in the auto industry have helped me develop exceptional communication skills, decision-making skills, and experience working with a diverse group of people. I, also, wrote about how living in a rural area has led me to want to serve this type of community as a veterinarian. With so many years just working and dealing with the public, I was able to draw on a lot of different scenarios in both my essays and my interviews. I, also, worked full-time during undergrad, so I did not have any extracurricular activities with the school, and I definitely took the time to explain that. I was also able to spin it in a positive way, by showing how working 40 hours and taking 17-19 credits per semester, while still getting good grades, gave me better time management skills and prepared me for a professional program.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
35, F, NY resident, Non-Traditional, 1st Gen student, 1st-time applicant

Applied: Cornell (IS), Purdue, LMU, Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan, Colorado, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, UAZ, Tennessee, Mizzou, Oklahoma
Interview Invites: Purdue, LMU, Kansas, Minnesota, UAZ
Waiting to hear: Cornell (Waitlist), LMU, Iowa (Waitlist), Wisconsin (Waitlist)
Accepted: Purdue, Kansas, Minnesota and UAZ
Attending: Purdue!!!! (Unless Cornell calls me)

Overall GPA: 3.17 (at time of application: this has since gone up- I dropped out of college at 18 and had some F’s to overcome from not withdrawing)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.66
Last 45 GPA: 3.80

GRE (Q/V/W): 157 (64%) / 157 (76%) /4.5 (81%)

Degree(s): B.S. Biology (May 2021)

Veterinary Experience:
SA Hospital shadow-hands on experience- 396hrs

Animal Experience:
Shadow at a Dairy Farm - 15hrs
Dog Foster-51hrs
Adult pet ownership-I struggled with whether to include this, but these are all animals that I cared for extensively on my own as an independent adult, and I explained that in my description of the experience- (Disabled dog, Dog, Cat, Ball Python)- 1628 hrs

Research:
Animal Behavior Research -Presented two posters at two conferences and a 3-minute talk at the national Animal Behavior Society conference - 160hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Dean’s List and Dean’s High Honors every semester since I’ve been back
Scholarships
Legal & Ethical Training Certificate (Auto Industry)
Sales Award from Manufacturer (Auto Industry)
High School Scholarships and Awards

Non-Animal Employment:

18,880 hrs- Auto Industry, moving from lower-level positions to sales to management to a Finance Director role, managing a department of 3 Finance Managers for a Fortune 500 company.
15,600 hrs- Dental experience, ranging from reception to billing to corporate trainer.

LORs:
Bio Professor and Research PI
Owner/Vet at the SA Hospital I shadowed at
General Manager of the Dealership I work for (I’ve worked with him for 8 years)

I wrote a lot about how my experiences in the auto industry have helped me develop exceptional communication skills, decision-making skills, and experience working with a diverse group of people. I, also, wrote about how living in a rural area has led me to want to serve this type of community as a veterinarian. With so many years just working and dealing with the public, I was able to draw on a lot of different scenarios in both my essays and my interviews. I, also, worked full-time during undergrad, so I did not have any extracurricular activities with the school, and I definitely took the time to explain that. I was also able to spin it in a positive way, by showing how working 40 hours and taking 17-19 credits per semester, while still getting good grades, gave me better time management skills and prepared me for a professional program.
Hi!! First year at Purdue, also non- traditional and also from NY! You'll love it here!

• Love
Hi!! First year at Purdue, also non- traditional and also from NY! You'll love it here!
Purdue has always been one of my top choices and I only prioritize Cornell because of logistics (I own a home with my husband here in NY and Cornell would simplify my life.) Could I PM you if I have questions about the school/area?

Purdue has always been one of my top choices and I only prioritize Cornell because of logistics (I own a home with my husband here in NY and Cornell would simplify my life.) Could I PM you if I have questions about the school/area?
Yes, of course!

I don't quite feel like a traditional applicant due to my lack of veterinary focus throughout most of college and was 100% sure I wasn't going to get in due to my lack of animal experience. However, I've worked in the medical field doing phlebotomy, IVs, med administration, assisting with procedures like laceration repairs and stuff, etc since I was still in high school, and I feel like that greatly strengthened my application. Additionally, I feel like the fact that I've managed a high GPA with a full-time work and full-time school schedule made me a stronger applicant and look more like one that can handle the rigors of vet school.

21, Female, Oklahoma, Traditional(?), 1

Applied: Oklahoma State, Colorado State
Interview Invites: Oklahoma State
Accepted: Oklahoma State
Attending: Oklahoma State

Overall GPA: 3.925
Science Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 3.93

GRE (Q/V/W): 151 (40%) / 164 (94%) / 4.5 (80%)

Degree(s): Natural Resource Ecology and Management, concentration: Wildlife Biology/Pre-vet

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal clinic - shadowing and assisting techs - 163 hours
Study abroad experience in South Africa - worked with livestock and pets in disadvantaged townships, also worked with wildlife - 1 month abroad

Animal Experience:
Didn't list anything here

Research:
Didn't list anything here

Extracurriculars/Awards:
I'll be honest...can't quite remember if I listed anything here. Maybe dean's list awards each semester?

Non-Animal Employment:
Medical Assistant - May 2017- June 2019 (36hr/week)
2 on-campus jobs - August 2019-April 2020 (~20hr/week)
Walmart - May 2020-Aug 2020 (yay pandemic and leaving campus!) (40hr/week)
Phlebotomist - Aug 2020-Present (40hr/week)

LORs:
Veterinarian I shadowed with
Medical Assisting Teacher
Nurse Practitioner I worked with as a MA in urgent care.

OSU supplemental essay was about a failure I've experienced - I went very personal with this one, and discussed failing to be there for my father when he died of cancer, and about how it shaped me into never avoiding difficult situations, and diving headfirst into the tasks that other people resent.

Career goals - Discussed being interested in a few fields, exotics and wildlife (but in my interview I talked more about large animal and wildlife)

Contributions to society - briefly talked about benefits of pets to people. I talked more about the health of food animals and the impact of that on people's health, as well as zoonotic diseases. I talked the most about wildlife impacts, because as a conservation major, that's what I have the most background information on and could talk about most in depth.

Attributes - I talked about my ambition to succeed in classes, especially with how much harder things got in the pandemic. I talked more about my work in urgent care and how it made me more compassionate and empathetic even to unkind people as well as the communication skills I got helping patients understand medical stuff like why a test is necessary or why antibiotics won't fix the flu.

I have always been stalking this page and finally I get to post here!:biglove::biglove::biglove:

23, Female, Florida Resident, Traditional, 2nd Time Applicant

LOW GPA ALERT!!! It is possible for those who think their grades weren't good enough. All it takes is ONE!

Applied:
CSU, UF, Western, LMU, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, ISU
Interview Invites:
Western, LMU
Waiting to hear:
LMU
Accepted:
Western
Attending: WESTERN!!!!! :banana::banana:

Overall GPA: 3.19 (Post-Bac ~3.5)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 2.94
(Thought it would be higher with my graduate classes)
Last 45 GPA: ~ 3.2

GRE (Q/V/W):
151 (51%) / 153 (49%) / 4.0 (57%)

Degree(s): Undergrad - B.S in Animal Science, Post-Bac - Master's in Public Health & Certification in Public Health

Veterinary Experience: Total - 5,890 hrs

Technician at multiple animal hospitals - 3,700 hrs
On-Call Surgery Technician at the University Hospital - 1650 hrs
Volunteering at the UF Small Animal Hospital and VCOP - 540 hrs

Animal Experience:
Humane Society Volunteer - 294 hrs
Puppy Hill Farm Foster Parent - 518 hrs

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
AI Certification
HACCP Certification
Meat Judging Team Member
UF Pre-Vet Club Member
My certification in Vet Assisting that I got in high school

Non-Animal Employment:
SNAP Driver (Basically an on-campus UBER driver) - 2,650 hrs

LORs:
One from Professor in Animal Science
Two from a DVM (from separate clinics that worked at)

I basically wrote about One Health and how I wanted to contribute by becoming a Public Health Veterinarian as well as my mental health throughout undergrad which contributed to my low grades and how I overcame it and got better grades in my Master's Program.

Last cycle and this cycle I got multiple rejections, it was painful checking my email throughout the weeks and getting no after no, all it takes is for one school to see you beyond the grades that you have gotten and believe in you. Good luck to everyone and if you didn't get in this cycle, it's not over, just keep trying and your school will find you.

Reactions: 12 users
27, Female in California! I applied 2.5 times ( applied in 2018 took a year off but did apply to U of AZ 2019)

Interesting fact: I'm actually Dyslexic! I've always been told to stop, especially in high school. You can do it !

Applied: western U and U of Az
Interview Invites: western U and U of Az
Waiting to hear:U of Az
Accepted: Western U
Attending: 99.9% sure WESTERN U !!!!

Overall GPA: 3.16
Science Prerequisite GPA: honestly don't know it's been a while haha

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 / 150 / 3.5

Degree(s): biology emphasis zoology

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - over 12,000 hours 😅
Recently started managing a clinic!

Animal Experience:
Experience - 500 hours zoo education!

Research:
Experience - n/a

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - dean list my junior year

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - 1,000

LORs:
2 veterinarians , 1 manager

So excited to finally post here :)

21, F, Florida, Traditional, first time applicant:

Applied:
UF, Ohio, NCSU, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oregon
Interview Invites:
UF, Ohio, Minnesota, Mississippi
Waiting to hear:
none
Accepted:
UF, Ohio, Minnesota, Mississippi
Attending:
UF!!!

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
168 Q (~90s) /169 V (~99%)/ I think a 4 in writing (~50%) (most schools don't really care about it so I just blazed through it lol)

Degree(s): B.S. in Biology

Veterinary Experience:

~650 hours volunteering/shadowing in multiple small animal clinics
60 hours volunteering with a TNR program
16 hours shadowing in equine (would have been more if not for COVID)
~250 hours in zoo med at time of application, but indicated that I was continuing my full-time internship through the semester

Animal Experience:
Horseback riding - 1500 hours guesstimated over 15 years
Zookeeping internship - ~300 hours
Therapeutic horseback riding center volunteer - 100 hours
Sea turtle hospital intern - 100 hours

Research:
Zoo endocrinology research - 250 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
various academic awards
Girl Scout Gold Award
volunteer of the month
sorority

Non-Animal Employment:
none

LORs:
Veterinarian I'd shadowed for 6 years starting in high school
Veterinarian at the clinic I volunteered at the longest in college
Lab manager
Biochem professor

I focused on my love of preventive medicine and working with people as my overarching theme. For my goals, I talked about various ways I can practice primary care, saying that I'm aiming for zoo med (with experience to back me up) but am also realistic and would enjoy most about any general practice setting. For contributions to society, I focused on the many ways veterinarians can educate the community. For attributes, I talked about teamwork and humility.

Best advice I can give future applicants: use the personal statement readers thread! The wonderful @WildZoo read over my essays, and the advice she gave me really helped me figure out how to tell my story- the most important thing I learned from her was to use my experiences to support whatever I was saying. I was trying to use more-oblique references to my experiences, but my essays got easily 10x better when I used specific and concrete examples to back myself up. Especially with the essay format switching back to one long essay, using specifics will help you establish your message and get across to the reader why you personally should be a veterinarian.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Hey guys! I'm doing a quick plug here for Galin Education and their Vet School Admissions Consulting Team.
I was a non-traditional student when I applied to vet school, and I felt super lost about the whole application process. I constantly searched for some sort of vet school advising company, but never found one. That's what Galin is trying to do. Feel free to reach out to us for help on polishing your application, cranking out essays, transcript evaluations, and personalized target school lists.
This process is so daunting, and we want to help make it less so. You got this, good luck!

21, Female, Alabama, Traditional, 1st-time applicant

Applied:
Auburn, Virginia-Maryland, Purdue, Missouri, North Carolina, St. George, Georgia
Interview Invites: Auburn, Missouri, St. George
Accepted: Auburn, Missouri, St. George
Attending: Most likely Auburn

Overall GPA: 3.74
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.60
Last 45 GPA: 3.94

GRE (Q/V/W): Q 157 62% V 146 28%; W 3 14%

Degree: Animal Science (graduate May 2021)

Veterinary Experience:
Total:
~1080
Small animal clinic ~980
Equine Veterinary Internship ~40
Vet Camp ~60
IMC Volunteer~2

Animal Experience:
Total:
~1030
Barn worker (equine) ~140
IHSA (equine) ~340
Animal handling clinic (cattle) ~2
Pony ride assistant (equine) ~20
Pony Club (equine) ~400
Pet sitting (small and exotics) ~130

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
PVMA (social chair) ~60
Block and Bridle ~4
Hudsonalpha internship ~20
Photo Club (secretary) ~15
Latin Club ~10

Non-Animal Employment:
A receptionist at SA Vet Emergency Hospital ~20 hrs a week

LORs:
Small Animal Vet
Public Health Vet (also my professor)
Equine Specialist Vet
IHSA Coach

I for one of my essays I wrote about why I want to be a Public Health Veterinarian and the reason I came to love the big picture and the One health aspect of veterinary medicine. For another essay, I talked about the hardship I have been through and what they mean to me now, and how the people in my life have helped me.

23, F, MA, 2 gap years, first time app

Applied: Tufts, Illinois, CSU, UGA, Wisconsin, UF, Cornell, SGU, Midwestern, Ross
Interview Invites: Tufts, Illinois, Ross, SGU, Midwestern (declined interview for Midwestern)
Waitlisted: CSU, UGA, Wisco
Rejected: UF and Cornell
Accepted: Tufts, Illinois, Ross, SGU
Attending: Tufts

Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.49
Last 45: 3.77

GRE (Q/V/W): 156 / 155 / 4.5

Degree(s): biology

Experience:
Almost all research! And lots of aquatic animal experience. Throw 200+ small animal hours in there too!

LORs:
1 veterinarian, 1 professor, 1 current boss (PI), 1 other PI I worked under, 1 coach

For any future applicants- keep your head up! We always receive rejections first which can be a blow, but just keep trying and things WILL work out! Also, a weird note but all the schools I was not accepted to didn't have interviews, and I definitely think interviewing is a strong suit for me. If I was applying again next cycle I would ask the schools specifically how they would recommend transferring my interview skills to paper- it isn't easy!

I can't believe I actually get to post here! I withheld applying for a year in order to get more experiences and take more upper level classes and I truly believe that that helped me so so much! Also proof that it's never to late to choose vet med as a career!!!!!

30 (was 29 when I applied), F, New Hampshire, Non-traditional applicant, 1st time applying:

Applied:
RVC, Penn, Tufts, Edinburgh, Michigan, Guelph, Ohio
Interview Invites:
RVC, Penn, Tufts, Edinburgh, Michigan (CASPer), Guelph, Ohio
Waiting to hear:
None
Accepted:
Penn, RVC, Tufts, Edinburgh, Michigan, Guelph. Waitlisted #1 at Ohio but withdrew application
Attending:
PennVet '25!!!!!!!

Overall GPA:
Per VMCAS 3.5 - my current undergrad is a 3.88 but my first undergrad I had like a 3.2
3.8 I think?
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
Q (29%) / V (79%) / W (55%) (My scores were pretty bad - I didn't study at all, do not recommend this.)

Degree(s): BS Restaurant, Food and Beverage Management - Johnson and Wales University (2013)
BS Biomedical Science: Pre-Med/Vet - University of New Hampshire (2020)
Minors in Public Health and Dairy Management

Veterinary Experience:
Around 2000 hours at the time of application.

Vet Assistant/Tech at an emergency hospital/GP (same hospital)
2 externships at 2 different equine clinics
Animal care tech at a farm that raises sheep for biomed research (under direction of veterinarian, performed medical procedures)
Assistant at a spay and neuter clinic
Worked as a lab tech the the New Hampshire Veterinary Diagnostic Lab

Animal Experience:
1000+ hours total

Worked at the same sheep farm as above doing husbandry/care
Worked for a summer at Charles River labs doing rodent model husbandry
Worked as a live-in farm hand at the UNH horse barn
Worked at UNH dairy barn
Horse riding experience
Volunteered at an animal sanctuary for a summer
Probably some small other things that I'm forgetting.

Research:
NHVDL - I think I put 300-400 hours, honestly it was more like 500+
My research focused on diseases in poultry that were found during routine testing or necropsy. I looked through almost 10,000 files and catalogued data in Excel. The goal is to inform local poultry farmers (both commercial and backyard) as well as veterinarians and public health officials about diseases that are commonly found in poultry in the area in order to enhance husbandry practices, as well as rules and regulations surrounding the movement of chickens within and in and out of the state/New England area. I am currently trying to publish my findings but it's been kind of slow because COVID and my advisors are backed up at the lab doing their actual jobs 😂

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Graduated Magna Cum Laude UNH
Dean's List every semester at UNH
Several small scholarships (3-4) (UNH)
Full-tuition Scholarship at JWU
Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority (JWU)
Sigma Alpha Professional Agricultural Sorority (UNH)
Pre-med fraternity (UNH)
Eta Sigma Delta Hospitality Honors Society (JWU)
Emerging Leaders Program (JWU)
Group Leader for Organic Chem Study Group (UNH)

Non-Animal Employment:
Restaurant industry - I can't even put a number on this. 10+ years, I think I estimate 10,000+
Other little jobs - tanning salon, merchandising, daycare - 1000+ hours

LORs:
3 LORs - I decided getting three very strong ones were better than more that may not have been as strong.
Research Advisor who is also a vet
Sheep farm owner who is also a vet (and I have done medical procedures under her supervision)
Professor who I had for like 8 classes, including the cow class where I took care of the cows at the dairy barn for a year.

I talked about my desire to work in research/public health for my first essay. For the second essay, I talked about how vets are educators and scientists in addition to being "animal doctors" and stressed the impact the vet med has on the world. The third essay I talked about how the ability to communicate, work well in a team, and desire to learn were important qualities in a vet and that I felt I possessed all of these and gave examples why. None of my essays were very groundbreaking or personal.

I also had specific essays for Michigan, RVC, Penn, and Tufts. If you want those, DM me.

• Love
I can't believe I actually get to post here! I withheld applying for a year in order to get more experiences and take more upper level classes and I truly believe that that helped me so so much! Also proof that it's never to late to choose vet med as a career!!!!!

30 (was 29 when I applied), F, New Hampshire, Non-traditional applicant, 1st time applying:

Applied:
RVC, Penn, Tufts, Edinburgh, Michigan, Guelph, Ohio
Interview Invites: RVC, Penn, Tufts, Edinburgh, Michigan (CASPer), Guelph, Ohio
Accepted: Penn, RVC, Tufts, Edinburgh, Michigan, Guelph. Waitlisted #1 at Ohio but withdrew application
Attending: PennVet '25!!!!!!!

Overall GPA: Per VMCAS 3.5 - my current undergrad is a 3.88 but my first undergrad I had like a 3.2
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.8 I think?
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE (Q/V/W): Q (29%) / V (79%) / W (55%) (My scores were pretty bad - I didn't study at all, do not recommend this.)

Degree(s): BS Restaurant, Food and Beverage Management - Johnson and Wales University (2013)
BS Biomedical Science: Pre-Med/Vet - University of New Hampshire (2020)
Minors in Public Health and Dairy Management

Veterinary Experience:
Around 2000 hours at the time of application.

Vet Assistant/Tech at an emergency hospital/GP (same hospital)
2 externships at 2 different equine clinics
Animal care tech at a farm that raises sheep for biomed research (under direction of veterinarian, performed medical procedures)
Assistant at a spay and neuter clinic
Worked as a lab tech the the New Hampshire Veterinary Diagnostic Lab

Animal Experience:
1000+ hours total

Worked at the same sheep farm as above doing husbandry/care
Worked for a summer at Charles River labs doing rodent model husbandry
Worked as a live-in farm hand at the UNH horse barn
Worked at UNH dairy barn
Horse riding experience
Volunteered at an animal sanctuary for a summer
Probably some small other things that I'm forgetting.

Research:
NHVDL - I think I put 300-400 hours, honestly it was more like 500+
My research focused on diseases in poultry that were found during routine testing or necropsy. I looked through almost 10,000 files and catalogued data in Excel. The goal is to inform local poultry farmers (both commercial and backyard) as well as veterinarians and public health officials about diseases that are commonly found in poultry in the area in order to enhance husbandry practices, as well as rules and regulations surrounding the movement of chickens within and in and out of the state/New England area. I am currently trying to publish my findings but it's been kind of slow because COVID and my advisors are backed up at the lab doing their actual jobs 😂

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Graduated Magna Cum Laude UNH
Dean's List every semester at UNH
Several small scholarships (3-4) (UNH)
Full-tuition Scholarship at JWU
Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority (JWU)
Sigma Alpha Professional Agricultural Sorority (UNH)
Pre-med fraternity (UNH)
Eta Sigma Delta Hospitality Honors Society (JWU)
Emerging Leaders Program (JWU)
Group Leader for Organic Chem Study Group (UNH)

Non-Animal Employment:
Restaurant industry - I can't even put a number on this. 10+ years, I think I estimate 10,000+
Other little jobs - tanning salon, merchandising, daycare - 1000+ hours

LORs:
3 LORs - I decided getting three very strong ones were better than more that may not have been as strong.
Research Advisor who is also a vet
Sheep farm owner who is also a vet (and I have done medical procedures under her supervision)
Professor who I had for like 8 classes, including the cow class where I took care of the cows at the dairy barn for a year.

I talked about my desire to work in research/public health for my first essay. For the second essay, I talked about how vets are educators and scientists in addition to being "animal doctors" and stressed the impact the vet med has on the world. The third essay I talked about how the ability to communicate, work well in a team, and desire to learn were important qualities in a vet and that I felt I possessed all of these and gave examples why. None of my essays were very groundbreaking or personal.

I also had specific essays for Michigan, RVC, Penn, and Tufts. If you want those, DM me.
Saw you in non-trad thread and I'm so happy for you!!!!

Thank you, you too! Have you decided where you're going yet, I know you had a lot of options!!??? 🥳
I've been back and forth. Some days I thought I'm really committed, the next day I would wake up having second thought:rofl: Probably Purdue. I think.

Wow that sounds SO COOL!!!!!!!! Would absolutely love to read the study and your findings!!!!!!!!!!! Go poultry!!!!! :chicken:

Wow that sounds SO COOL!!!!!!!! Would absolutely love to read the study and your findings!!!!!!!!!!! Go poultry!!!!! :chicken:
I will bring them to school and we can study those instead of actual vet school stuff 😂 I'll probably still be writing my manuscript for publication by the time we get to Philly :oops:

• Haha
I've been back and forth. Some days I thought I'm really committed, the next day I would wake up having second thought:rofl: Probably Purdue. I think.
Girl I feel that. I'm like 99.9% on Penn but some days I'm like "Hmmmmm England (RVC) :unsure:" I think I just like the idea of being abroad and travelling but not actually going to school there. Purdue is a great school though, one of my docs went there and she's a brilliant vet!

Girl I feel that. I'm like 99.9% on Penn but some days I'm like "Hmmmmm England (RVC) :unsure:" I think I just like the idea of being abroad and travelling but not actually going to school there. Purdue is a great school though, one of my docs went there and she's a brilliant vet!
I've been in Chicago since I first came to the States 5 years ago. Every winter I'm like "I'm so done with the midwest I'm so going to move to a warm and sunny place". :rofl:

Pretty sure Penn can provide everything you want from RVC except for the foreign experience...And you HAVE TO go to Penn because Dana is all excited about you already!

I've been in Chicago since I first came to the States 5 years ago. Every winter I'm like "I'm so done with the midwest I'm so going to move to a warm and sunny place". :rofl:

Pretty sure Penn can provide everything you want from RVC except for the foreign experience...And you HAVE TO go to Penn because Dana is all excited about you already!
Exactly. I can travel when I get a chance and not have to worry about exams or class! The UK is amazing but I don't want to pay the 5000 dollars they were asking for a deposit + the 3000 for a visa. Plus I can't work full-time there during breaks/summer like I can at home.

And right 😂 Honestly, we have a Penn GroupMe and Snapchat that we all talk/send pics on all the time and we did a big group Zoom two weekends ago and have another one this upcoming weekend. I've gotten to know my future classmates (which is a big deciding factor for me) I can't not go there now!!!

Exactly. I can travel when I get a chance and not have to worry about exams or class! The UK is amazing but I don't want to pay the 5000 dollars they were asking for a deposit + the 3000 for a visa. Plus I can't work full-time there during breaks/summer like I can at home.

And right 😂 Honestly, we have a Penn GroupMe and Snapchat that we all talk/send pics on all the time and we did a big group Zoom two weekends ago and have another one this upcoming weekend. I've gotten to know my future classmates (which is a big deciding factor for me) I can't not go there now!!!
WHAAAAT? Why am I not in any of those groups:lol: I'm still waiting to see if I can get more scholarship from Penn to reduce the COA. I'm only on the Penn FB now and heard nothing of all your secretive group activities!!!

WHAAAAT? Why am I not in any of those groups:lol: I'm still waiting to see if I can get more scholarship from Penn to reduce the COA. I'm only on the Penn FB now and heard nothing of all your secretive group activities!!!
The link for the GroupMe is posted on the FB!!!!! It's somewhere in the page. The snapchat link is on the GroupMe as well as the Zoom stuff!!!!!

I’ve been a long-time lurker of SDN, sometimes I would sit at my computer during work (ops 👀) reading pages after pages of vet school information and acceptance stories. After deciding to take this path I virtually spent all my waking hours working, studying, or volunteering to gain as much animal experience as I can. To all of you who are hesitant about pursuing this path due to various reasons, I just wanted to tell you: IT'S NOT TOO LATE, YOU CAN DO IT!!

26, F, Canada, Non-traditional, first-time applicant:

Applied:
ISU, Purdue, Mizzou, USyd, SGU, Ross
Interview Invites: SGU, Ross
Accepted: ISU, USyd, SGU Ross
Attending: ISU!

Overall GPA:
3.3~3.5
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.8

GRE (Q/V/W):
Didn't need it this round phew!

Degree(s): B.A. in Economics and Business, Incomplete B.Sc in Biology I enrolled just to take the prereqs

Veterinary Experience: ~1500hrs
-Part-time vet assistant at 2 different SA clinics, one was co-op experience in highschool
-Shadowing and helping out Dairy cow Vet

Animal Experience: ~10,000
-Equine (I've been riding on and off my entire life but I only listed hrs when I was actually participating in a team during undergrad)
-Exotic (volunteer at a wildlife centre and petting zoo with Llamas and Capybaras)
-Pre-mature and post-op Canine Foster parent for 5 months (only counted hours I was actively taking care of the animal, attending physio sessions etc)
-Dog walker at local shelter
-Rabbit sitting for a friend multiple summers
-Dog grooming assistant (summer work during HS)

Research:
None!

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Too many to remember, this section was my longest list. I was extremely active throughout my first undergrad, my GPA suffered but my inner extrovert was very satisfied (I served in leadership roles for 3 clubs and actively participated in at least 5 other clubs/intramural sports teams for the entire 4 years, consistently volunteered at different events here and there)
Sunday school teacher for 5 years
Dean's list a couple of semesters
Entrance Scholarship

Non-Animal Employment:
TA for Statistics
TA for Economics
Barista at Starbucks
Summer Internship at Google Canada
Marketing Strategist at a media agency (Full-time job after undergrad)
Medical Lab technician at Idexx (some schools didn't count this as it was after applications closed)

LORs:
SA Veterinarian I volunteered and eventually worked for
Office manager at the same clinic^
OrganicChem professor
Pastor at the church I volunteered at for 6 years

1. My career goal was definitely not something I've seen on this forum, I have a drive for both vet med and business, my ultimate goal would be to serve in the role of scientific affairs for corporates.
2. Talked about wanting to make vet med more easily understandable to people throughout all disciplines because vet med is not only about animals/science but also the needs of people.
3. My choices were communication skills (which led to effective leadership), resilience, and empathy towards ourselves.

I personally believe that being a non-traditional applicant gave me a fresh set of experiences and I tried to incorporate them in my essays.

• Love