Successful Applicants c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have read every post on these threads for the past couple of years and I can't believe that I finally get to post here. I've dreamed of this day for a long time! I applied in 2018-2019 for early acceptance (I knew it was unlikely for me to get in, but wanted the feedback) and in 2019-2020 I was waitlisted #5, made it all the way to #1 in May, but never was pulled off. Resiliency, dedication and determination is key!

24, F, Missouri, traditional, third-time applicant:

Applied: University of Missouri
Interview Invites: University of Missouri
Waiting to hear: none
Accepted: University of Missouri
Attending: University of Missouri

Overall GPA: 3.65
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.7? Not sure, because MU doesn't look at this
Last 45 GPA: 3.5

GRE (Q/V/W): Mizzou doesn't require it anymore

Degree(s): B.S. in Animal Sciences

Veterinary Experience: ~2200 hours
-Technician assistant in the ICU at University of Missouri Veterinary Health Center
-Part-time vet assistant at a SA clinics
- Shadowed with 5 different LA vets
- Shadowed with an exotics vet

Animal Experience: ~1,000 hours
-Farm hand at alpaca ranch
-Volunteer with poultry
-Pet sitting
-Shelter volunteer
-Various LA experience through department of animal sciences

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
National Scholar/Athlete Award
NHS
Several scholarships
PQA/BQA certified
Pre-Vet Club
Umpire
Softball Captain
Fly fishing
Traveling softball player

Non-Animal Volunteer Work:
Mask maker
Lawncare & landscaping
MU CVM open house
Hannibal clinic pediatrics
Pitching coach
Tutor

Non-Animal Employment:
Server

LORs:
SA Veterinarian from clinic where employed
SA/LA Veterinarian- from same clinic as above
LA veterinarian- from different clinic
SA/LA veterinarian- from another clinic
Professor from university
Professor from university

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
1. I talked about how my work in the ICU grew my passion for emergency/critical care and how I want to specialize in this field. I also talk about improving public knowledge of veterinary medicine.
2. Talk about improving the level of veterinary care received in rural areas and giving back to my community.
3. I talked about personal experiences I have faced and how that has shaped me into the person I am today, and how it will help me in the veterinary medical field.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
SO excited to post on here!

21 yr/F/NC resident – First time applicant!
Applied: UGA, VT, LMU, NC state, Florida, Missouri, Tufts, and Iowa.

Interview Invite: LMU (most others were cancelled because of COVID)

Waitlist: VT and Iowa

Accepted: LMU!

Attending: LMU!

Overall GPA
: 3.59 w grade replacement; 3.45 w/o grade replacement (I retook gen chem 1 and 2 and greatly improved my grades after a learning difficulty diagnosis!)
Science GPA : 3.3 with grade replacement, 3.23 without grade replacement (this is lower than I would like)
Last 45 : 3.81

Degree (completing in May): BS Biology, minors in Animal Science and Chemistry

Veterinary Experience:
small animal shadowing - 280 hours while in college; primarily preventative medicine for small animals, some surgeries.
large animal ambulatory shadowing - 180 hours summer 2018
large animal ambulatory assistant - 1375 total hours; working with goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas, horses, cattle, and some exotics (some wildlife rehab, etc). traditional medicine as well as acupuncture and chiropractic. Working both regular appointments as well as emergencies

General animal experience:
874 hours - job as kennel assistant and assisted with restraint, treatments, and minor procedures in a small animal clinic while in high school
Trail guide/stable hand - est. 1400 hours
1 year on college equestrian team
250 hours - Pet sitting a range of animals, mostly companion but some cattle and horses too

Employment outside of vet med:
3 years as receptionist/Student assistant at college office (average 6 hours per week)
Supplemental Instructor (similar to TA position) for a general biology course for spring 2020 and fall 2021 semester.

Research:
Independent study 2018-present - "The Effects of Probiotic Yeast on the In-Vitro Rumen"

Clubs:
Pre-Health Club
Pre-Vet Club
Tri-Beta Honor Society
Blue-Key Honor Society

Awards/Positions
- Deans list
- 2019 Virginia Academy of Sciences Research Grant
- 2020/21 Tri-Beta Honor Society Treasurer

LOR's:
- large animal ambulatory veterinarian
- advisor and professor for undergrad, also department chair for biology
- research mentor
- pre-vet advisor
- employer at my university job - LMU required a LOR from a vet and an employer separately.

Extenuating circumstances: I did have to retake general chemistry (which I did and got an A in first semester and a B in second semester after retaking). This was accounted for though in my explanation statements!

Reactions: 3 users
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 22, F, NS, Canada, traditional 2nd time applicant (1st time through VMCAS/to schools other than AVC)

Applied: Michigan, SGU, Colorado, Purdue, Cornell, Minnesota, Wisconsin, AVC (domestic)
Interview Invites: SGU, Purdue, Minnesota, AVC
Waiting to hear: AVC
Accepted: Cornell, Purdue, Wisconsin, SGU
Waitlist: Colorado
Rejected: Michigan, Minnesota
Attending: Purdue or AVC - putting down my Purdue deposit today but will attend AVC if accepted
edit: was waitlisted at AVC

Overall GPA: 4.0
Science Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE (Q/V/W): 167 (90%) / 170 (99%) / 4 (58%) (percentiles roughly recalled)

Degree(s): BSc with Honours in Biology

Veterinary Experience:
- shadowing equine and small animal (one practice, about 75% equine and 25% small animal) - 270 hr
- not on VMCAS: assisting wildlife vet - 80 hr

Animal Experience: total 1900 h
- wildlife rehab full-time internship - 690 hr (I had just started at time of application but just put in my anticipated hours)
- volunteering on equine hunter-jumper breeding/training farm (mostly mucking, grooming, feeding, tacking, and catching horses but also got to do cooler stuff like socializing foals and habituating them to halters and grooming) - 270 hr
- SPCA cat/feral cat/rabbit/dog care - 210 hr
- TNR feral cat care - 8 hr
- volunteering with cleaning at vet clinic during HS - 250 hr
- riding lessons (and catching/grooming/untacking/feeding) - gave low estimate of 400 hr
- chicken/turkey/horse/goat/guinea fowl care while WWOOFing on local homesteads - 70 hr
- catsitting - 30 hr
- raising chickens with partner for science fair project in 6th grade - 25 hr
- vet camp - 60 hr

Research:
Honours research on regeneration in polychaete worms and effect of environmental estrogens - 560 hr

Extracurriculars/Awards: total 2000 hr
- Medals for highest average of graduating students from faculty of Science and for woman graduating with 2nd highest average
- 9 scholarships
- student research grant
- Dean’s list all semesters
- 2 high school awards
- vegetable gardening club president 3 years - 180 hr
- competitive cheerleading, powerlifting club, rugby - 1480 hr
- community volunteering/food drive club - 48 hr
- volunteer instructor for activity/sports program for disabled youth/adults - 32 hr
- volunteer farm work - 92 hr
- volunteer helping people move out of abusive situations - 10 hr at time of application

Non-Animal Employment:
Stats/botany/zoology lab TA, Fast food work - 600 hr
not on VMCAS or AVC application: full-time receptionist at SA clinic since February

LORs:
- Supervisor for my Honours research/Histology/Comparative embryology professor who I adore and is the most supportive person I’ve ever met
- Equine vet I shadowed at the practice of and volunteered on the farm of when I was a baby freshman. lol yikes, mortifying to ask someone to write a recommendation when they haven’t seen you for 3 years and you were probably an idiot then, but that practice was the only one I’d shadowed at and I guess it worked out!
- Parasitology/introductory microbiology professor

- future career goals and why: rural mixed practice, also interested in clinical research, because I want to work in an underserved area (gave example of consequences I’ve seen of rural areas here being underserved by LA vets) and I’m passionate about livestock welfare and agriculture sustainability (example of how vets work to improve these through research and practice). Also interested in LA parasitology (example of how vets help to research and implement integrated parasite management)
- what do I hope to contribute: serve health and welfare of domesticated animals while protecting ecosystem health, particularly through promoting, helping farmers implement, and maybe researching best welfare practices and preventative care (examples of the potential for One Health collaborative efforts between vets and ecologists in integrated parasite management and of judicious abx use)
- attributes: adaptability/dealing with crises (example of working with foals/stallions), resiliency/self care (example of overcoming brain problems), leadership/communication (example of TAing and student club pres of 3 years), curiosity/critical and scientific outlook

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Huzzah!!! After long wait, I am so happy to finally post on here :) :)
I'm hoping my story will give hope to those who get rejected their first time. If this is your dream, absolutely do not give!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
24, Male, AL Resident, Traditional, Second-Time Applicant!

First Cycle (2018/2019 cycle for Fall '19 entry)
Applied:
Auburn, Ohio State, NC State, Mississippi State
Interview Invites:
Auburn
Rejected:
Everywhere!

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA:
Last 45 GPA:
Auburn uses Last 60, so mine was 3.03

GRE (Q/V/W):
300 total (155/145/5)

Degree(s): Animal Sciences (Pre-Vet)

As you can tell, I did NOT have a good time in my undergraduate years with regards to my GPA. I even failed Organic Chemistry 2 the first time I took it, retook it, and still only made a C :arghh: . However, vet school was my goal, and thus I entered a Master's Program at Auburn and truly made a difference in my work ethic.

Second Cycle (2020/2021 cycle for Fall '21 entry)
Applied:
Auburn, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia
Interview Invites:
Auburn
Rejected:
Ohio State, LSU, Georgia
Waitlisted: Auburn
Accepted on April 15th: Auburn!!

Overall GPA:
3.14 --> 3.36 (only increased slightly just because I only added 54 hours on top of my undergraduate hours)
3.00 --> 3.96 (I retook the Pre-Requisite courses that I did poorly in - Chem 1 and Chem 2 with C's, Animal Nutrition with a B - and made A's in them! Only B that remained was Biology 2 which I did not want to retake haha.)
Last 45 GPA:
Auburn uses Last 60, so mine was 3.03 --> 4.0 (I made a 4.0 in my Master's!)

GRE (Q/V/W):
300 total (155/145/5) ---> 305 total (155/150/6) ; They didn't require it this cycle due to COVID, but I still retook to show improvement!

Degree(s): Animal Sciences (Pre-Vet) ---> Masters in Biomedical Sciences (Pre-Professional Health Non-Thesis)

Veterinary Experience (includes both cycles):

Gulf Shores Zoo - 3 summer's worth -- I worked with my older sister (who was in vet school at the time) and cared for the large cat exhibits!
Small Animal Practice - 2300 hours -- I worked multiple summers, winter breaks, and high-school years at a clinic!
Small/Large Animal Hospital - 900 -- I shadowed at a hospital one summer to gain experience outside of a clinic setting.

Animal Experience:
Southeastern Raptor Center - 100 hours
Various Animal Science Course Labs at the Vet School during Undergrad - 50 hours
Canine Performance Sciences - 30 hours
CAREing Paws (Training Therapy Dogs!) - ~100 hours

Research:
Mouse House Volunteer -- Helped a PhD student with their research project on Mice Mitochondria -- One School Year

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Auburn University Marching Band - All 4 years of Undergrad!
Jazz Band - 1 Year
Symphonic Winds - 1 Year
Brother of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Music Fraternity - Was Vice President for 1 year.
PVMA Member - All 4 years of Undergrad.
Intramural Sports (Basketball and Ultimate Frisbee) - 3 Years
Outstanding GTA for 2020/2021 (earned during Master's)

Non-Animal Employment:
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2 Labs - 3 and half years during Undergraduate; ~2000 hours
Graduate Teaching Assistant for Anatomy & Physiology 1 and 2 Labs - All 4 semesters during my Master's; ~800 hours

LORs:
Title of recommender (Vet? Manager? Supervisor? Vet tech?)
-Auburn Marching Band Director (wrote for FIRST application)
-Professor at Auburn University in Genetics (wrote for FIRST application)
-Veterinarian of Small Animal Clinic in which I spent most of my hours working (wrote for BOTH applications)
-Professor at Auburn University in Cellular Biology (wrote for SECOND application)
-Lab Coordinator / Boss for Anatomy & Physiology Labs (wrote for SECOND application)

Summary of what you wrote about
The only essay I truly remember writing about was for Auburn's Application. Their question was, "What was the weakest part of your life and how did you learn from it?" The first time I applied, I talked about failing Organic Chemistry 2 and not letting that one bad grade affect my future. The second time I applied, though, I mentioned strictly not getting into vet school and how, despite my uncompetitive GPAs, I was going to turn them around and prove that I truly want to be a veterinarian in this world.

My story is a testament to never giving up on your dreams. During my two application cycles, I went through the ringer from being flat rejected and told in my exit interview to "consider other options" ... to applying with a little more hope and still being Waitlisted. However, if veterinarian school is your passion and your goal, there is absolutely no one stopping you from getting there other than yourself! I went from graduating an undergraduate degree with a 3.14 to completing my master's this spring with a 4.0 and being more than ever prepared for veterinary school. Comeback stories are TRUE, and I am still in shock and awe that my dream is coming true!

Reactions: 14 users
So excited to post on here !!! I had a rough year and application cycle (like most lol) and cant believe I got into my Top choice school!!!!!!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
23,Female, CA, United states,Traditional Pre vet, 1st time
Applied:

UC Davis,Oregon,LMU, Colorado,RVC, Edinburgh, Perdue, Ohio
Interview Invites:

RVC, UC Davis,LMU, Edinburgh
Waiting to hear:

none
Accepted:

(Waitlisted #26 ) then accepted to UC Davis, Waitlisted RVC 4 year, Accepted 5 year, Waitlisted LMU
Attending:

UC DAVIS!!!!!!!
Overall GPA:

Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
quant(33%) / verbal(66%) / z (43%)
honest not sure these are my best guess
Degree(s):
Animal science
Veterinary Experience:

Experience - (600hrs)
SA clinic
Animal Experience:
Experience - (1210hrs)
worked at pet-smart boarding
Horse team
about 40 hours at a dairy
Research:
Experience - (hrs)
none
Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
Peer advisor for a year, worked with fellow students giving advice and campus help

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)

LORs:

Professor who I was close with, another professor who loved me for some reason lol, and a veterinarian that when she wrote it only knew me for 3 months lol

Reactions: 4 users

23, Female, Kansas/Oklahoma (due to military), Non traditional, 2nd time applicant

First time around:
Applied: Kansas State University, Oklahoma State University, Tufts
Interview Invites: Ha. Not a one
Rejected: All of them.

cGPA: ~3.36
SGPA: Between a 2.8 and 3.0 depending on the school

I was told during my application reviews that I needed to work on my science GPA and consider applying to the private schools. If it helps anyone, it was silly to apply OOS to tufts, but they certainly gave me the most helpful file review.

Second application cycle:
Applied: Michigan State, Mississippi State, Midwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, VMCVM, Iowa State, Lincoln Memorial, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, WesternU
Interview Invites: WesternU, Lincoln Memorial, Oklahoma State, Kansas State
Waiting to hear: None
Accepted: WesternU and Kansas State
Attending: KANSAS STATE!!!

Overall GPA: 3.48
Science Prerequisite GPA: still not great after retakes. Between 2.87- 3.22 depending on the school
Last 45 GPA: 3.78

GRE (Q/V/W): 148 / 154 / 4.5 I do not remember percentages.

Degree(s): I have attended three different universities. It came to a certain point where I was tired of retaking course because one school didn’t accept another school’s courses. I ultimately got a General Science degree with a concentration on Chemistry, Sociology, and Biology.

Veterinary Experience: I really put myself out there to get as much varied experience as possible. I didn’t have the best grades, so I wanted to show my dedication and passion with experiences. I don’t exactly remember how many hours I had in earlier experiences so they are a ball park. In some of the places we have lived I had far less opportunities than others. The biggest thing is really put yourself out there, make mistakes! Something will work out.

Shadow SA veterinarian (high school) - 200 hours
Kennel Attendant in SA hospital (high school)- 500 hours
Shadow SA orthopedic surgeon- 6 hours
Shadow military veterinarian- 200 hours
Shadow Equine Veterinarian at Spy Coast Farm- 40 hours
Shadow Large Animal Veterinarians- 40 hours
Animal Care Assistant- ~1,000 hours
Nurse Assistant- ~270 hours

Animal Experience:
Riding club and Boarding stable- Horse owning member- I think I put about 1,000 hours
I put this down because I thought it was unique. I had my horses at a boarding club in North Dakota that was 100% self care; from cleaning stalls and other daily chores to facilities maintenance and fundraising.

Research:
Laboratory Technician at environmental toxicology lab- about 2,000 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Treasurer at Riding club and boarding stable- 200 hours
secretary at riding club and boarding stable- 100 hours
Member of horse judging team- about 400 hours

Non-Animal Employment:
Barista at Starbucks- about 200 hours

LORs:
SA Veterinarian
Inventory Manager
Animal Care Manager
Theology Professor

I tried to draw from my various experiences to show what I learned and how I used the experiences to better myself. I don’t remember too much about the specifics, unfortunately! I know I mentioned the importance of interpersonal skills and leadership ability in veterinary medicine. I wrote some about a very personal loss that happened right before applications were due, and how I was even more determined Despite the hardship.

Listen, more than anything I wanted to give some hope for someone like me. It took me six years to finish my undergrad. However, when I started school I was on track to finish in only three years! While I was facing setback after setback, my friends were graduating and earning acceptances. I really struggled with mental health. I struggled in school because I convinced myself I wasn’t smart enough. I gave up and explored so many different careers paths. I thought for awhile I would be a sonographer, or a chiropractor, or a medical laboratory technician, so on. Nothing felt like the right fit and I kept coming back to veterinary medicine. This application cycle was a complete rollercoaster, but I knew when I started that I deserved a seat. I have learned to speak kinder to myself over this cycle. I have recognized that I’ve worked hard and I fought so many demons. My most validating moment happened during an interview when I was describing some work I had completed and my interviewer said it was very impressive. I think it is such a good idea to go and explore different career paths. When you have decided on veterinary medicine, and have erased any doubt, remember to be kind to yourself. Hard work will pay off. The voice that says you aren’t good enough, or you will mess up, blah, blah, blah— that voice is a liar. Someone somewhere is going to recognize your passion and you will earn a spot where you are meant to be.

Anyway, thanks for reading through this ramble and I’m rooting for you!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

27, Female, Minnesota Resident, Applied 2 times (once in 2014-15 cycle and once in the 2020-21 cycle)

LOW GPA ALERT!

Applied: university of Minnesota, Washington state university,Oregon state university, Colorado state university, university of Wisconsin
Interview Invites: University of Minnesota
Accepted: University of Minnesota (waitlisted #6)
Attending: University of Minnesota

Overall GPA: 3.3
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.27
Last 45 GPA: 3.3

GRE (Q/V/W): 153 (48%)/ 152 (53%)/ 4 (55%)

Degree(s): BA Biology society and environment graduated in 2015

Veterinary Experience: 13,000 hrs total
Veterinary Technician at the Animal Humane Society—-4480hrs
Veterinary Assistant at Westgate Pet Clinic—-5920hrs
Veteriany Technicians Assistant at IGHAH—-2600hrs

Animal Experience: 500hrs total
Horse walker for We Can Ride therapy horse program—-84hrs
Aviary Nursery Volunteer at the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center—-208hrs
Adoption floor and vet service volunteer at the animal humane society—-208 hrs

Research: 48hrs total
Student Research Volunteer in Costa Rica helping Sea Turtle Research—-48hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Yoga—-98hrs
Rock climbing—- 3276hrs
Prevet club member—-54hrs
Biology Society and Environment Club Vice President and President—-208 hrs
Running—-2704hrs
Mind Award—-Present by my current Job for creating new efficient ways for us to run our clinic and learning how to take dental X-rays and the teaching others how to do it
Deans List my entire freshmen year of college
Most Valuable Player Award 3 times in Cross country in high school due to being the head captain all 3 years

Non-Animal Employment: 10,440 hrs total
Intake volunteer at PAWS—-156hrs
Teacher at Super Summer Program—-960hrs
Salon Coordinator at Moxie Hair Salon—-4992hrs
Front Desk Clerk at MSU—-432hrs
Outdoor Instructor at REI—-3900hrs

LORs: 6 letters total
Director of Veterinarians at Animal Humane Society (Dvm)
Shelter Veterinarian Manager (dvm) at Animal Humane Society
2 other dvms at Animal Humane Society
Veterianian (Dvm) that i worked with at Westgate Pet Clinic
REI Outdoor Experiences Manager

I wrote about my future goals of working in community medicine and made them interactive stories that sucked the reader in. It’s ok to add personality and to make the reader laugh, they will be more likely to remember you! I even started one of my 3 essays off with my favorite quote from a client “I think there’s worms in stool” and the they said “this is my poop“ when I thought it was there their pets.

Be creative, be yourself, and have fun with your essays.

Reactions: 2 users
I really cannot believe I'm posting in here! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and best of luck to those still waiting to hear from alternate lists!

22, F, New Jersey resident, Traditional applicant, 1st time applying:

Applied:
Tufts, Cornell, UPenn
Interview Invites: Tufts
Waitlisted: Tufts, Cornell
Waiting to hear: Cornell
Accepted: Tufts!
Attending: Tufts!!😊

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.55
Last 45 GPA: I honestly don't remember, it wasn't very different from my overall though

GRE (Q/V/W): 159 (83%) / 159 (70%) / 4.5 (81%)

Degree(s): B.S. in Biological Sciences, minor in Music (graduating this May)

Veterinary Experience: ~330 hours total
Full-time veterinary technician for a summer - ~300 hours
Shadowed my veterinarian for a summer - ~30 hours (cut short due to COVID)

Animal Experience: ~700 hours total
Full-time wildlife rehabilitation intern - 560 hours
Kennel technician - 84 hours
Animal shelter volunteer - 30 hours
Volunteer at therapeutic equine riding facility - 6 hours (cut short due to COVID)

Research: ~150 hours total
Undergraduate research assistant - ~120 hours
Worked with TEDed to produce a children's video in conjunction with my research project - ~30 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Associate member of Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honors Society
Dean's List
Awarded merit scholarships from my university
Volunteer on a summer service trip to New Orleans
New student orientation leader for incoming freshmen for 2 years
Member and social media/outreach coordinator in an a cappella group for 4 years
Theatre camp counselor for a summer

Non-Animal Employment: I had a few jobs in high school that weren't animal-related, but I didn't list them on my application.

LORs:
2 Veterinarians I had worked with from different practices
Supervisor at my wildlife internship
Academic advisor
Professor under whom I do my research

To sum it up, I used my experiences in veterinary medicine/animal care to outline my journey toward my career goals today. I made sure to emphasize how these experiences have given me a clear sense of the profession!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I am so unbelievably thankful and grateful that I get to post here this year. It has been a long journey for me and I am so happy to get to say I am going to my dream school!!

27, Female, Pennsylvania USA, Non-traditional, 1 time applicant

Applied: LMU, WesternU, SGU, Ross, WSU
Interview Invites: LMU, Western, SGU, Ross
Accepted: LMU, WesternU, SGU, Ross
Attending: WesternU!!!!!!!

Overall GPA: 2.97 I think... had a very bad year when I originally went to undergrad
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Last 45 GPA: 3.5ish

GRE (Q/V/W): 153/48%(%) / 156/72%(%) / 4.0/55% (%)

Degree(s):
Completing one FINALLY, Life Sciences

Veterinary Experience:
-Worked as a veterinary technician/office manager of a small animal practice for 6 years.
-Interned as a veterinary technician at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park for 4 months
Experience - (hrs)
~14,000 hours

Animal Experience:
-Worked as a barn manager for a year, full time with horses, goats, chickens, dogs/cats- total caretaker for all
-Owned horses my whole life
-volunteer for a dog rescue/giving vaccines, taking blood, helping with general check ups
-volunteer at Elmwood Park Zoo in diet prep on the weekends for 2 years
-4-H member for 5 years
-Penn State Equestrian Team for 3 years
Experience - (hrs)
-A LOT.

Research:
I definitely lacked here. Only research I was involved in was at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park when they were working on Rhino conservation and California Conure release -- very little time spent in the 4 months I interned there.
Experience - (hrs)
<100 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Honor's Society
Penn State Equestrian Team Social Chair
THON Club Member
TA for Equine marketing for 2 semesters
Experience - (hrs)

Non-Animal Employment:

-Waitress/bartender/food service for 6 years
-Clothing store employee for 2 years
-Unleashed by Petco for 1 year (kind of animal related, did some dog training)
Experience - (hrs)

LORs:

1 from veterinarian who owns the practice I have worked at for 6 years
1 from veterinarian who I have worked with over the years/part time who has known me for 15 years
1 from my physics professor who I had for 2 semesters

Essay-
I wrote about how I love how in the veterinary profession, no matter what we do, we make a difference. It is really important for me to choose a career in which I can make a change in the world- and this is it. Whether it's helping an owner say goodbye to their best friend during a euthanasia, or helping conserve an entire species on the planet- we all can make a difference in our work whatever career path we choose with vet med.

Personal statement- I chose this to talk about why I received a series of failing grades in 2013-2014. I was unfortunately wrapped in an extremely abusive relationship and it derailed my entire plans of wanting to be a vet. I felt useless and he actually ended up in prison and I left school to go home and be far from the situation. I got a job as a barn manager and then started taking classes to get a CVT. I then found a job with my current boss at a small animal clinic and she encouraged me to go back to school for my pre-reqs for vet school... which I did in the last two years.

It has been a long, rough journey but I am so happy I am finally here. I hope everyone who is feeling down about their maybe low GPAs can take a look at this and APPLY. Work for it and apply if it's what you really want.... this is a dream come true and if you put your mind to it you can do it, too.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I'm just going to make this brief but wanted to give a little hope to people who might not have the most stellar GPA! Reading through SDN during the application cycle I definitely thought I had no chance but I got accepted my first round!
22, F, AL, traditional, 1

Applied:
MS State, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, University of Arizona
Interview Invites:
MS State, University of Arizona
Waiting to hear:
waitlisted MS State
Accepted:
University of Arizona
Attending:
University of Arizona!!

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
158 (67%) / 163 (93%) / 5.0 (92%)

Degree(s): Spanish

Veterinary Experience:

Veterinary Assistant for two summers - (400 hrs)
Shadowing (small animal, mixed animal, farm/equine, opthamologist) - (60 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Growing up with dogs & cats - (1000)
Working on a farm (feeding and caring for animals a couple times per month) - (12hrs)
Animal rescue - 1hr
Equine handling training - 2hrs
Equine/Bowen therapist shadowing - 7 hrs

Research:
none (advisor said it didn't matter. he sucks. pls do research)

Extracurriculars/Awards:
President, Volunteer Coordinator- Medical Spanish Club
Photography Director, Writer -The Bridge Street Newspaper
Dean's List 2 semesters
Photographer, Standards Board Rep - Kappa Delta sorority
Sigma Delta Pi (National Spanish Honor Society)
Mortar Board
Order of Omega
Presidential Scholarship
Teaching English as Foreign Language Certification and Endorsement
Assistant ESL teacher - 50 hrs

Non-Animal Employment:
Academic Peer Coach (2 yrs)
Fellowship through the Spanish department (3 yrs)
Summer Service Fellowship (June & July, 200 hours)

LORs:
1 Veterinarian
1 Spanish professor
1 Religious Studies professor
all of my reviewers knew me really well and could speak to different aspects of my character, such as my passion for serving Spanish speakers and educating others (Spanish professor) and my commitment to serving the community, my leadership, and my empathy (Religious Studies professor)

in summary, my goal for essays was to show I understand it's not always puppies and kittens and that even though I have limited veterinary hours, I understand the physical, emotional, and financial difficulties of the job and that I have a passion for addressing inequalities in the field; used specific examples from things I have witnessed instead of talking in generalizations

Please please apply. Don't get intimidated by other people with stellar GPAs who don't get in. Believe that you've done the work and are qualified. The goal for your application isn't to get accepted, it's to get an INTERVIEW and get your foot in the door. I knew once I got an interview I had a good shot, and I'm thankful that the 2 places who extended interview invites to me I seemed to do well at.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I am very very lucky to have been offered a spot in the AVC class of 2025. I definitely don't know how it happened, but it did. To anyone who might come across this and might be doubting themselves: it might be hard, but one rejection cycle does not mean you are not worthy of becoming a vet! It just means you have more time to learn before you get to start your next journey! :)

21, female, PA (USA), traditional, 1st time applicant

Applied: Tufts, Michigan State, Washington State, Oregon State, AVC

Interview Invites: 2

Waiting to hear: 1, was waitlisted at AVC
Accepted: AVC
Attending: AVC!!!

Overall GPA: 3.45
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.31
Last 45 GPA: I'm not 100% sure, maybe a 3.6

GRE (Q/V/W): 153 (48%) / 152 (53%) / 4.5 (80%)

Degree(s): None at the time of applying, about to graduate with BS in Biology in May.

Veterinary Experience:
CCS - 200 hours
Shadowing - 24 hours
Volunteer in Mexico Animal Shelter - 40 hours

Animal Experience:
Animal caretaker at school - 90 hours
Pet sitting - ~ 112 hours

Research:
Undergraduate research - 216 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
TriBeta Honor Society Treasurer - Several months, unsure of # of hours
Dean's List - 3 semesters

Non-Animal Employment:
Biology/Chemistry tutor - 64 hours
Hostess/Waitress - 5550 hours

LORs:
1 Veterinarian who I have known for years and is my vet mentor
3 Professors: 1 ecologist, 1 molecular, and the other was my research mentor!

To be honest, I really do not think that my essays were written well (kinda embarrassed now looking back at them) but I just wrote about what I had learned working at the vet hospital (I had just started in July) and how it has helped me to solidify my career goal. I also included how I have been shaped by the amazing vets that I work with and have been shown the type of vet I want to become.

22, Female, NH (USA), non-traditional, first cycle

A little background: I graduated from University of New Hampshire in 2019, I also attended Cascadia College full time during my junior and senior years of high school. This allowed me to finish my BS in 3 years. I also spent 1 semester at UNH abroad in the Netherlands.

Applied: Washington State, Oregon State, University of Missouri
Interview Invites: University of Missouri
Accepted: University of Missouri (pulled off alternate list 4/14)
Attending: University of Missouri!

Overall GPA: 3.73
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.79
Last 45 GPA: 3.54

GRE (Q/V/W): 158 (67%) / 163 (93%) / 4.5 (81%)

Degree(s): Biomedical Science: Pre-med/Pre-vet, class of 2019

Veterinary Experience:
ECC Veterinary Technician, Port City Vet Referral Hospital- (2412, ongoing)
Laboratory Assistant, New Hampshire Veterinary Diagnostic Lab- (364)
Veterinary Assistant, My Pets Vet Clinic- (296)
Undergraduate intern, Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital- (160)

Animal Experience:
Senior apprentice, Phoenix Rising Horse Sanctuary- (4000)
Working student, Centerline Riding Academy- (92)
Farm animal volunteer, NHSPCA - (20)

Research:
I helped with some research during undergrad, but didn’t put any on my application, would have been very small number of hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Treasurer, member, Animal Welfare Alliance- (64)
Approved Veterinary Assistant exam
Presidential scholarship (UNH)
Various scholarships (UNH)
Dean’s list (UNH)- 5 semesters
Washington Science Olympiad state champion- high school
President’s list (Cascadia)- 1 quarter
Faculty honors list (Cascadia)- 3 quarters

Non-Animal Employment:
Telephone interviewer, University of New Hampshire Survey Center - (96)
Camp intern, Northshore School District- (60)

LORs:
Veterinary Pathologist (also my advisor for first 2 years at UNH, took Histology with him, worked at NHVDL with him too)
President of Phoenix Rising Horse Sanctuary (worked with her for 8 years starting at age 11)
ER Doctor at current job

Essay Questions:
Qualities of vet: Basically described two great vets I’ve worked with, touched on a few negative qualities of other vets I’ve worked with
Jobs: Talked about how I’ve wanted to do equine since I was young, exposure to ER for small animal was also interesting, vets I’ve spoken to have talked about large animal vets have a short shelf life, so maybe ER in my back pocket, also interested in toxicology
Society: human-animal bond and pet’s health itself, public health (One Health is also something I’ve very interested in), and just as sometimes underutilized resource

Reactions: 1 user
25, Female, AZ, non-traditional, 2nd cycle

LOWWWWW GPA ALERT! You don't need to be perfect. You need to show growth and tenacity. Did you have a ****ty semester, or maybe even a whole year... own up to it! You need to take accountability for your actions as a veterinarian, and blaming anyone but yourself will get you nowhere... at least that is what I have learned.

Applied: UofA, Purdue, CSU, Iowa State
Interview Invites: UofA (waitlisted)- was waitlisted last year too
Accepted: UofA (pulled off waitlist mid-April)
Attending: UofA

Overall GPA: 3.07 this year (3.2 last year... thanks Biochem)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 2.78-2.98 (depending on the school)
Last 45 GPA: 3.07

GRE: Did not take it this year

Degree(s): Biology w/ emphasis in Biomedical Science '20, A.S. in Biology

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal veterinary assistant: approx. 1,700 hrs

Animal Experience:
Competitive equestrian/horse owner- 10+ years but I think I only accounted for about 5k hours
Wildlife center volunteer-200hrs
Cat shelter volunteer- 200 hours
Dog Daycare attendant- 3,600 hours
Pet sitter: 300 hours probably so many more...

Research:
My biostatistics class required an independent research project so I put approximately 60hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
WICHE scholarship... yeah that's it

Non-Animal Employment:
Thrift store cashier for the same cat rescue I volunteered at- maybe 300 hours?
Nursing Lab Technician at my university- 200 hours

LORs:
DVM (practice owner)
DVM (relief)
Practice manager
Old dog sitting client
Dog daycare manager (owner)

Essay Questions:
- I remember one of my essays touched on how I hated hearing people say they want to be veterinarians because they prefer animals to people. I talked about the importance of the human-animal bond and my desire to help the people at the other end of the leash.
- Another essay touched on the importance of veterinarians in education, and I talked about my interest in someday working at a CVM program as a professor.
- I obviously had a very low GPA and this was my own fault. I talked about how when I started taking classes at my university I had no idea how to handle personal finances or tuition. I ended up on a debt collections list because I was in default for not paying tuition (I had not filled out my FAFSA and wasn't able to use federal loans). I ended up failing all of my classes due to the stress and ended up having drop out. I had to claw my way back up to a decent GPA and it took 6 years. It was a very big life lesson that I learned very late...Don't be me!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
25, Female, AZ, non-traditional, 2nd cycle

LOWWWWW GPA ALERT! You don't need to be perfect. You need to show growth and tenacity. Did you have a ****ty semester, or maybe even a whole year... own up to it! You need to take accountability for your actions as a veterinarian, and blaming anyone but yourself will get you nowhere... at least that is what I have learned.

Applied: UofA, Purdue, CSU, Iowa State
Interview Invites: UofA (waitlisted)- was waitlisted last year too
Accepted: UofA (pulled off waitlist mid-April)
Attending: UofA

Overall GPA: 3.07 this year (3.2 last year... thanks Biochem)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 2.78-2.98 (depending on the school)
Last 45 GPA: 3.07

GRE: Did not take it this year

Degree(s): Biology w/ emphasis in Biomedical Science '20, A.S. in Biology

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal veterinary assistant: approx. 1,700 hrs

Animal Experience:
Competitive equestrian/horse owner- 10+ years but I think I only accounted for about 5k hours
Wildlife center volunteer-200hrs
Cat shelter volunteer- 200 hours
Dog Daycare attendant- 3,600 hours
Pet sitter: 300 hours probably so many more...

Research:
My biostatistics class required an independent research project so I put approximately 60hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
WICHE scholarship... yeah that's it

Non-Animal Employment:
Thrift store cashier for the same cat rescue I volunteered at- maybe 300 hours?
Nursing Lab Technician at my university- 200 hours

LORs:
DVM (practice owner)
DVM (relief)
Practice manager
Old dog sitting client
Dog daycare manager (owner)

Essay Questions:
- I remember one of my essays touched on how I hated hearing people say they want to be veterinarians because they prefer animals to people. I talked about the importance of the human-animal bond and my desire to help the people at the other end of the leash.
- Another essay touched on the importance of veterinarians in education, and I talked about my interest in someday working at a CVM program as a professor.
- I obviously had a very low GPA and this was my own fault. I talked about how when I started taking classes at my university I had no idea how to handle personal finances or tuition. I ended up on a debt collections list because I was in default for not paying tuition (I had not filled out my FAFSA and wasn't able to use federal loans). I ended up failing all of my classes due to the stress and ended up having drop out. I had to claw my way back up to a decent GPA and it took 6 years. It was a very big life lesson that I learned very late...Don't be me!
Congratulations!!!!! I was rooting for you to get pulled off ☺️☺️

So excited to be a part of this thread!!

23, F, Texas, traditional, first-time applicant: I applied one year after graduating undergrad.

Applied: Colorado State University (OOS), Texas A&M (In-state)
Interview Invites: n/a due to COVID
Waitlisted: TAMU
Accepted: CSU
Attending: CSU

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.7

GRE (Q/V/W): n/a due to COVID

Degree(s): B.S. in Animal Sciences from Oklahoma State

Veterinary Experience: ~2,500 hours
-Veterinary intern in HS
-Veterinary technician at single doctor small animal/exotic clinic (post-grad)
-Shadow at a 5 doctor small animal practice (post-grad)
-Veterinary forensics course (post-grad)
-Birthing center volunteer at OKC Fair (undergrad)

Animal Experience: ~4,000 hours
-Petsitting and animal med treatment admin for neighbors (post-grad)
-Medical foster to an abandoned 1-day-old puppy (post-grad)
-Animal shelter volunteer (undergrad and post-grad)
-Animal behavior/welfare research (undergrad) ((split between 2 categories on the apps))
-Assisted with animal extension programs through the university (undergrad)
-Competed in canine sports with my dog (undergrad and post-grad)
-HS horse barn staff
-HS FFA projects

Research: ~100 hours
-Animal behavior/welfare research (undergrad) ((split between 2 categories on the apps))

Extracurriculars/Awards:
-HS FFA office and activities
-HS leadership conferences
-Undergrad internship leadership summit
-AP biology tutor to HS students while in undergrad
-Collegiate FFA
-Vet pharmaceutical sales shadow
-Prevet club
-Undergrad Scholarships
-Cum Laude

Non-Animal Volunteer Work:
-meal packing

Non-Animal Employment:
-Summer insurance sales intern during undergrad

LORs:
-SA Veterinarian from the clinic where employed
-SA Relief Veterinarian from the clinic where employed
-Advisor from university

1. I talked about my experiences leading to my interests in canine nutrition, assisted reproductive technologies (ART), and animal welfare.
2. I talked about a veterinarian's role as a teacher in the community.
3. I talked about personal/family experiences in HS that developed a strong work ethic and talked about working in insurance sales that developed strong communication skills.

Reactions: 2 users
21, female, California, Traditional applicant, First time applying:

Applied:
UC Davis (rejected), Western Univ of Health Sciences, Oregon State, Washington State (rejected)
Interview Invites: Western
Waiting to hear: Western
Accepted: Oregon
Attending: Oregon

Overall GPA: ~3.5
Science Prerequisite GPA: ~3.4
Last 45 GPA: ~3.7

GRE (Q/V/W): 159 (69%) / 154 (63%) / 5.0 (92%)

Degree(s): A. A. Human Development (2019), B.S. Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary (2021)

Veterinary Experience:
Small Animal Private Practice - ~3000
Receptionist/Assistant - ~2000hrs
Assistant/Technician - ~1000hrs

Animal Experience:
Pet Sitting (dogs, cats, pocket pets, reptiles, fish) - ~500hrs
Kennel Technician - ~100hrs

Research:
none

Extracurriculars/Awards:
CRU Club (Christian Club) - 1yr
Cal Poly Pomona Pre-Vet Club - 1yr
CPP Ridge Runners (Snowboarding) - 1yr
Snowboarding - 3yrs
Running/Hiking - 3yrs
Cycling - 2 years

Non-Animal Employment:
Birthday Party Attendant - ~1750hrs

LORs:
1 Veterinarian/Medical Director
1 Veterinarian
1 Lead Technician
2 Professors - Animal Anatomy/Physio + Animal Anatomy/Physio Lab (different profs)
1 Professor - Biology + Biology Lab (same prof)

I wrote about why the science of vet med interests me (was advised it's not enough to "just love animals, there has to be the desire and capacity to learn behind it." I also wrote about why emergency medicine interests me and why I will be a good match for it. I talked about difficulties with my mother leaving my father while he was hospitalized with DKA and myself becoming the sole caretaker of my father, while still in school full time, while still working 25-30hrs per week. I always am able to maintain a positive outlook, so I discussed these negative events (and others) while talking about how they have helped me grow and what I have learned.

Tips I was given that I feel were helpful:
- Write as if you have already been accepted "I AM a good fit vs I WOULD BE a good fit;" "I WILL demonstrate x, y, and z, not "If given the chance..."
- Keep it short and sweet. There is NO room for fluff, and the admissions committees will know if you lack substance
- If you have a specialty in mind, make sure to talk about it
- If you lack experience (ie. I was planning to volunteer in Uganda last summer but d/t COVID the trip was postponed 1 year), mention it (even if there is not a specific prompt dedicated to it).
- When talking about qualities veterinarians possess and how you possess these attributes, make sure to include specific examples
- USE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES (the more the better)

Some colleges may review your application and tell you what influenced their decision (if you are rejected), so it is always a good idea to ask. I asked UC Davis and they gave me a lot of good pointers for next cycle (if I had chosen to apply), as well as some positive feedback from this year's application (so I know what I do not necessarily have to spend time fixing)
hi!! first of all, congratulations!!!! i hope vet school is great for you! i was wondering if you would be willing to share the feedback UC Davis gave about your application! super curious, because your application seemed strong. thanks in advance!

Low GPA post! Writing this on my partner’s behalf (with his permission) because he’s too modest and doesn't like talking about his accomplishments.

29, male, Georgia resident, non-traditional, 2nd cycle.

Applied: UGA, Western, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol
Interview Invites: Western, Ohio, Minnesota, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol (declined)
Rejected: Michigan, Glasgow, Ohio
Waitlisted: Wisconsin-Madison, Iowa
Accepted: Minnesota, UGA, Western, Edinburgh
Attending: UGA!

Overall GPA: 3.2 - 3.52 (depending on grade replacement)
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.1 - 3.7 (ditto)
Last 45: 2.85
Last 30: 3.58

Those low GPAs include 14 Ws and 8 Fs, though all were years old. He retook a lot of classes and his postbacc grades were straight As.

GRE (Q/V/W): 163 (84%) / 169 (99%) / 6.0 (99%)

Degree(s): BSc in Biology (originally a music major)

Veterinary Experience:
7000+ hours as a vet assistant across several shelter clinics, mostly SA but with some LA and exotics

Animal Experience:
80 hours volunteering at a wildlife center
39 hours volunteering at a stables

Research:
100+ hours lab experience

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Honors scholarship
1st year music scholarship
Hope scholarship
Concert clarinetist
Music tutor (for high school students)
oSTEM member
Science Olympiad volunteer
Volunteer at foot clinic for open door community

Non-Animal Employment:
Music tuition, book shop, clerical work, grocery store, cafe

LORs:
Two vets and undergrad professor

Focused on his substantial work experience across several shelters and how much he had worked to overcome past problems.

First cycle he only applied to UGA and got rejected. Although acing the GRE, writing strong essays, and having excellent veterinary experience certainly helped overcome his grades, what changed between cycles was also getting glowing LoRs and straight As in his prereq classes.

We targeted schools that offered grade replacement and/or took the last 30/36, but in the end UGA accepted him anyway (they don’t do grade replacement), so his accepted stats for them were 3.2/3.1/2.85. Just goes to show how much of a crapshoot the process can be!
wow! congratulations!!! how did you do so well on your GRE???!!!

20, Female, Pennsylvania Resident, Traditional applicant, First-time applicant

Applied:
UPenn, Cornell, Tufts, LMU, UGA, NC State, Ohio State, Purdue, VMCVM
Interview Invites: UPenn, Tufts, LMU
Rejected without interview: Ohio, Purdue
Waitlisted: VMCVM (find out rank on 4/1), NC State (unranked)
Accepted: LMU, Tufts (early acceptance), Cornell, UPenn, UGA
Attending: PENN VET WITH A FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP :soexcited: :biglove:

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.84
Last 45 GPA: 3.83

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 (51%) / 163 (92%) / 5.0 (92%)

Degree(s): Bachelor's in Avian Biology with minor in Biology (graduating in spring 2021).

Veterinary Experience: 802 hours
Mix of small animal, exotic, wildlife, and poultry.

I am graduating with my bachelor's degree a year early, so I know I don't have as many hours as most people! I applied to vet school the summer after my second year of undergrad.

Animal Experience: ~500 hours
All small animal (volunteering at dog rescue and working at a dog boarding facility)

Research: 20-30 hours
Poultry research

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Dean's list all semesters of undergrad
President and founder of Common Ground, a club focused on bring people together from different sides of the political spectrum
Awarded chicken trophy for getting the highest grade in Intro to Poultry science
Honors Program student
Pre-vet club member
Young Democrats of UGA club member
Students for Bernie Sanders club member

Non-Animal Employment:
Chemistry tutor at UGA
Office assistant at an engineering company
Receptionist at a research facility in the UGA vet school
Avian Ambassador for the UGA Poultry Science department

LORs: 4
Two vets from a small animal/exotic/wildlife emergency practice where I worked during the summer of 2020
My research mentor who is also my faculty advisor
My pre-vet advisor

I wrote about my passion for working with poultry and my desire to help provide veterinary medicine for underserved areas. There are dozens of counties across the US that have over 25,000 food animals, but no food animal vets! That statistic really started my passion for food animal medicine, and I have been just crazy about birds since I was in elementary school, so I thought poultry medicine would be a great way to work with birds for a living while also making a positive difference in the world.

My two cents: I have a fairly high GPA and a not so high number of vet experience hours. I was rejected from Ohio and Purdue without interview, while I got into Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, and LMU just fine. It seems to me, and this is just my observation, that the private schools seem to favor those with a higher GPA, and the public schools tend to favor more well-rounded candidates with more experience. Also, having a unique interest definitely helped me in my application process, I truly think it made me stand out. All of my interviewers in all 3 of my interviews brought up how food animal vets are really needed right now but there just aren't many people interested in this field.

Edited to add that I'm committing to Penn!!!!! This is honestly a dream come true and I wouldn't have guessed I would have received this scholarship in a million years. Definitely don't feel worthy, but I will work so incredibly hard these next 4 years to try and show that I am extremely thankful and will not take this for granted!!!!
I'd love to hear about this scholarship and how you got it! I'm stressing about the cost big time and to know these scholarships are out there is really helpful!

So excited and frankly PROUD to finally be able to post in this thread. Congrats to all of my fellow batch-mates! This is truly a dream come true for all of us.

Also **LOW GPA ALERT** On top of being non-traditional, my GPA is one of the lowest ones I've seen on this thread, so behold, there is hope!

Jamie Barnhill, 25, F, CA Resident, Non-traditional (took an extra year of undergrad and also a gap year), 1st time applicant

Applied:
SO many, like 11? UC Davis, Michigan State, University of Melbourne, Ross, SGU, University of Saskatchewan, Tuskegee, Purdue, Ohio, Midwestern, U of A
Interview Invites: Ross, SGU, University of Saskatchewan, U of A
Waiting to hear:
None
Accepted:
Ross, SGU (FOUNDATIONS PROGRAM)
Attending:
ROSS UNIVERSITY SVM! :)

Overall GPA:
3.1 (oof)
2.8(BIG oof)
Last 45 GPA:
3.8 (Took some vet tech courses during my gap year and aced them all so that + my last year of undergrad gave me quite the boost)

GRE (Q/V/W):
Can't remember exact numbers, but definitely lower 150's with 5.0 for the writing score

Degree(s):
B.S. in Biological Sciences, minor in Communication (random, I know) UC Davis c/o 2019

Veterinary Experience:

Equine Hospital - 40 hours
Equine NICU @ UCD Large Animal Hospital - 50 hours
UCD Vet Teaching hospital internships x 2 (Emergency medicine & small animal surgery) - 80 hours
Local small animal hospital - Over 2,000 hours

Animal Experience:
Local small animal hospital's boarding facility - Over 1,000 hours
Equine therapy center - Over 200 hours
Kitten fostering - Over 500 hours

Research:
Zero. Zilch. None.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
High School:
- Band (multiple drum major / leadership awards)
- Swim (MVP my senior year)
- Honor student
College:
- Fundraising chair for a Tahitian dance club
- Sorority - Fundraising chair and then was treasurer for the national board (head treasurer for all of the sorority chapter's treasurers in the state of CA)
- Filipinx American Student organization (Mga Kapatid @ UC Davis), stage manager for their yearly Pilipinx Culture Night (coordinated and oversaw the production of a show with almost 200 cast members)
- Volunteer of the year @ local equine therapy center (2016)

Non-Animal Employment:
Davis Kids Klub - 200 hours ish (after school program)
UC Davis Mobility - 100 hours ish (drove a golf cart around campus helping handicapped folks get to class, it was gr8 lol)

LORs: 4
Professor / Vet (ROSS ALUM - probably why I got accepted tbh)
Associate Veterinarian (my idol, she wrote me an amazing LOR)
Founding Veterinarian at the small animal practice I work at
Program coordinator at the equine therapy center I volunteer at

My personal statements were rough, I just re-read them and tbh it's a miracle I got accepted anywhere.
1) I wrote about my desire to become a large animal vet. It was late onset, but I emphasized that it was very important to me. I also emphasized seeing myself not only caring for animals, but advocating for them as well.
2) Cheesy, but I wrote about how vets literally make the world a better place. I presented it by saying since they cater to literally every aspect of society (companion animals, consumer, research, entertainment, etc.), a vet's work goes well beyond the patients they see and therefore creates a ripple effect.
3) I wrote about my experiences in the hospital's I've worked at, and wrote about the importance of the attributes of strong work ethic, knowledge, and strong sense of self. I also opened with the joke that an attribute a successful vet has is good taste in work shoes. LOL. I'm not funny, it's fine. I know.

Anyways, my biggest takeaway, especially for all you low GPA folks, just do it. If there's a will, there's a way. Congrats again to my classmates and good luck to the next application cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
***Realized that I posted this in the wrong thread soo reposting***
Always felt hard to compare myself to people who had crazy good grades or crazy intense experiences but I hope it gives the middle of the pack applications some reassurance that you can do it!!

24, Female, California, Non-traditional applicant, 1st time applicant

Applied:
UC Davis, WSU, Oregon, Western, University of Arizona, Colorado
Interview Invites: Davis and Western
Accepted: Davis, Western
Attending: Davis

Overall GPA: 3.78
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.73
Last 45 GPA: 3.82

GRE (Q/V/W): 156 (59%) / 153 (59%) / 4.5 (80%)

Degree(s): Associate of Arts in General Studies with an Emphasis on Health Science, Bachelor of Arts in Biology

Veterinary Experience:
  • Spay and Neuter Clinic (8 hrs)
  • Veterinary Assistant at General Practice Clinic (2000 hrs at the time of application)
  • Vet Clinic Volunteer at Animal shelter (40 hrs)

Animal Experience:
  • Adoption Floor Volunteer for Cat rescue (40 hrs)
  • Dog Care Volunteer for Dog rescue (64 hrs)
  • Dog Walker for Animal Shelter (32 hrs)

Research:
No research experience!

Extracurriculars/Awards:
  • Community Service Coordinator for a cultural club (252 hours listed because we did a bunch of volunteer work and put on cultural events)
  • Soccer (played for 10 years and was varsity for high school)
  • County Hospital gift shop volunteer (136 hours)
  • Front Desk and Emergency Room volunteer for local hospital (100 hrs)
  • Reading Partners program (34 hours)
  • Summer Bible school leader for 6 years (270 hrs)
  • Seasonal charity volunteer (44 hours)
  • Various semester honors from my community college and university
  • Manga cum laude for both my CC and Uni
-I decided to list a bunch of my volunteer work because I actually didn't decide to pursue a Veterinary career until my last year of undergrad so my volunteer work was all over the place-

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience -
  • Summer camp teacher (320 hrs)
  • Petco Sales Associate (1600 hrs)
  • Target Crew member (240 hrs)

LORs:
2 DVM's from my GP clinic and 1 from my Uni professor

1. Future career goals-I talked about how being close to 2 of the biggest CA wildfires in the past 4 years changed my perspective on how I want to advocate for Ecological Conservation through a career in Wildlife.
  2. Vet contribution and what I hope to contribute-talked about how I have family who work in healthcare and that giving back to the community was always emphasized in my household. Discussed interest in rehabilitation
  3. Essentials of vet profession- Listed patience, empathy and compassion and gave specific examples of what I've seen in my personal experiences.
Feel free to message me if anyone has anything they wants to discuss! I'm always happy to help anyone who is in the same boat as me especially because I've always felt that I was a "last minute applicant"

Reactions: 1 users
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: Katie, 24 years old, Female, Connecticut, Applied once this cycle

Applied: Colorado, AVC/PEI, Ohio, Ross, St. Georges, Midwestern, Royal, Iowa
Interview Invites: AVC/PEI, Ohio, Ross, St. Georges, Midwestern, Royal, Iowa
Waiting to hear: N/A
Accepted: Colorado, AVC/PEI, Ohio, Ross, St. Georges, Midwestern, Royal, Iowa
Attending: Ross!!

Overall GPA: 3.05
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.3

GRE (Q/V/W):
Didn't take

Degree(s): 3 associates degrees in Biology, Liberal Arts and Science, and Art, Vet Tech Certification (Forgot to put in application), and Bachelors degree in Pathobiology

Veterinary Experience: 3 different veterinary hospitals, Connecticut Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory, and etc

Experience - over 6,000(hrs)

Animal Experience: South Africa trip, Horizon Wings Raptor Rehabilitation Center, Kellogg Dairy Center, PAWS shelter, Pet Store, Dog sitting, and more
Experience - Over 11,000(hrs)

Research: None
Experience - (hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards: N/A
Experience - (hrs)

Non-Animal Employment: Starbucks Barista, Waitress
Experience - 5,000(hrs)

LORs: Veterinarian (first vet hospital), Associate Dean/Veterinarian, Senior Pathologist, Resident at Diagnostic Lab, Manager at Diagnostic Lab, and Manager at Kellogg Dairy Farm

Essay Questions/Personal Statement: I talked about how I changed from wanting to be a marine biologist to a veterinarian by taking a trip to Africa and my passion about becoming a pathologist. I also wrote a lot about my mental health struggles and how I wanted to help be a positive asset to those around me in the field.

Side Note: Originally I chose Colorado to attend but I had a personal trauma a few days before my biochemistry final and ended up failing due to it and my teacher didn't believe it was a good enough excuse. My university then paid for be to take it again in the summer but it was too late for me to take it to attend CSU so I choose to attend Ross this January and I am super excited. It was a very bittersweet change of events but I'm thankful to be able to attend veterinary school in general!

• Love
Is there a “class of 2025… how ya doin?” Thread yet? 😩 I’m not impatient or anything (I am) but I couldn’t find one.

Is there a “class of 2025… how ya doin?” Thread yet? 😩 I’m not impatient or anything (I am) but I couldn’t find one.

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: Meagan, 25 years old, Female, New York, Applied for the first time this year

Applied: Colorado, Long Island University,Ross, Ohio, Midwestern, Arizona State, Virginia- Maryland, Cornell University
Interview Invites: Ross, Long Island University, Midwestern
Waiting to hear: N/A
Accepted: Colorado, Long Island University, Midwestern, Virginia-Maryland and Ross
Attending: Long Island University

Overall GPA: 3.77
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6

GRE (Q/V/W):
Didn't take

Degree(s): None

Veterinary Experience:
- Technician at Veterinary Emergency Hospital/ Specialty Center- Working as an ER, Internal Medicine, and Critical Care Tech ( 3 years of experience > 4,000 hours)
- Technician at small animal general practice- Surgery lead/ staff trainer/ lead technician ( 3 years of experience > 4,000 hours)
- Volunteer/ Intern at New York Aquarium working in aquatic health ( 1 year > 1,000 hours)
- Intern at the Staten Island Zoo - Veterinary Technician Intern ( 3 months > 100 hours)

- Assistant at Veterinary Practice ( small animal)( 3 years > 2,000 hours)

Animal Experience:
- Animal Care Technician at an Environmental center ( working with fish, birds, sharks, reptiles, amphibians, ect) ( 6 months > 100 Hours)
- Intern/ Volunteer at New York Aquarium working in animal training, care and behavioral husbandry ( worked in shark department, fish department, marine mammal department, aquatic birds, turtles ect, providing care and training as well as assistance with medical procedures and animal transport) Also preformed in the sea lion shows to educate public on wildlife conservation. (2 years > 1,000 hours of experience)

Research:
- Worked as animal care in two research labs at my undergraduate school. The research projects had to do with Hormones and Nautalis, as well as neurobiology of vocal fish.

Extracurriculars/Awards: N/A

Non-Animal Employment:
- Camp counselor/ Life guard > 1,000 hours

LORs: Veterinary Internist, Veterinary Criticalist, 2 Primary Care Veterinarians, and the Chief Medical Officer of the Emergency Hospital I currently work at

Essay Questions/Personal Statement: I talked about my aspirations of working with exotics/ in emergency and critical care, and how the profession is undervalued and by working in the field since I was 16 I knew the line of work I was getting into, the stress, the late nights, ect and I was ready for all of it. I conveyed the respect I have for the vets in the field and my desire to improve patient care, as well as client view of veterinary medicine as a whole.

I'M SO EXCITED TO FILL THIS OUT!!!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

23, Female, California, Traditional, First time applying:

Applied: Colorado, Cornell, Iowa, Western, Ohio, Long Island, Kansas, Michigan, LMU, Oregon, Davis, Midwestern, Washington, Wisconsin, Purdue
Interview Invites: Western, Ohio, LIU, LMU, Midwestern
Waiting to hear: LMU (withdrew), Midwestern (withdrew), Western
Waitlisted: Wisconsin
Accepted: Ohio, LIU
Attending: Probably Ohio!! (or Western, if I get in!!! I can't decide!!! AHHH!)

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.5

GRE (Q/V/W): 150s for Q and V / 4 W (too lazy to search for my score since most of them didn't need it lol)

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science

Veterinary Experience:

Small Animal Intern ~ 1000 hrs
Large Animal Intern ~ 40 hrs
Marine Mammal Intern ~ 50 hrs

Animal Experience:
Intern at multiple zoos ~ 300 hrs
~ 120 hours with livestock, lab animals

Research:
Aquatic Research ~ 50 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Church Leadership ~ 300 hrs
Sorority Recruitment Chair ~ 125 hrs
Dean's List twice
Intramurals - 2 years

Non-Animal Employment:
N/A

LORs:
1 Vet
1 Academic Advisor/Researcher/Prof
1 Pastor

(there are other things but it is late and I am both tired and wired from my Ohio acceptance, so I can't remember off the top of my head. Congrats to us all!!!!)

Good job!!! What was your # waitlist on Wisconsin if i may ask??

23, Female, Kansas/Oklahoma (due to military), Non traditional, 2nd time applicant

First time around:
Applied: Kansas State University, Oklahoma State University, Tufts
Interview Invites: Ha. Not a one
Rejected: All of them.

cGPA: ~3.36
SGPA: Between a 2.8 and 3.0 depending on the school

I was told during my application reviews that I needed to work on my science GPA and consider applying to the private schools. If it helps anyone, it was silly to apply OOS to tufts, but they certainly gave me the most helpful file review.

Second application cycle:
Applied: Michigan State, Mississippi State, Midwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, VMCVM, Iowa State, Lincoln Memorial, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, WesternU
Interview Invites: WesternU, Lincoln Memorial, Oklahoma State, Kansas State
Accepted: WesternU and Kansas State
Attending: KANSAS STATE!!!

Overall GPA: 3.48
Science Prerequisite GPA: still not great after retakes. Between 2.87- 3.22 depending on the school
Last 45 GPA: 3.78

GRE (Q/V/W): 148 / 154 / 4.5 I do not remember percentages.

Degree(s): I have attended three different universities. It came to a certain point where I was tired of retaking course because one school didn’t accept another school’s courses. I ultimately got a General Science degree with a concentration on Chemistry, Sociology, and Biology.

Veterinary Experience: I really put myself out there to get as much varied experience as possible. I didn’t have the best grades, so I wanted to show my dedication and passion with experiences. I don’t exactly remember how many hours I had in earlier experiences so they are a ball park. In some of the places we have lived I had far less opportunities than others. The biggest thing is really put yourself out there, make mistakes! Something will work out.

Shadow SA veterinarian (high school) - 200 hours
Kennel Attendant in SA hospital (high school)- 500 hours
Shadow SA orthopedic surgeon- 6 hours
Shadow military veterinarian- 200 hours
Shadow Equine Veterinarian at Spy Coast Farm- 40 hours
Shadow Large Animal Veterinarians- 40 hours
Animal Care Assistant- ~1,000 hours
Nurse Assistant- ~270 hours

Animal Experience:
Riding club and Boarding stable- Horse owning member- I think I put about 1,000 hours
I put this down because I thought it was unique. I had my horses at a boarding club in North Dakota that was 100% self care; from cleaning stalls and other daily chores to facilities maintenance and fundraising.

Research:
Laboratory Technician at environmental toxicology lab- about 2,000 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Treasurer at Riding club and boarding stable- 200 hours
secretary at riding club and boarding stable- 100 hours
Member of horse judging team- about 400 hours

Non-Animal Employment:
Barista at Starbucks- about 200 hours

LORs:
SA Veterinarian
Inventory Manager
Animal Care Manager
Theology Professor

I tried to draw from my various experiences to show what I learned and how I used the experiences to better myself. I don’t remember too much about the specifics, unfortunately! I know I mentioned the importance of interpersonal skills and leadership ability in veterinary medicine. I wrote some about a very personal loss that happened right before applications were due, and how I was even more determined Despite the hardship.

Listen, more than anything I wanted to give some hope for someone like me. It took me six years to finish my undergrad. However, when I started school I was on track to finish in only three years! While I was facing setback after setback, my friends were graduating and earning acceptances. I really struggled with mental health. I struggled in school because I convinced myself I wasn’t smart enough. I gave up and explored so many different careers paths. I thought for awhile I would be a sonographer, or a chiropractor, or a medical laboratory technician, so on. Nothing felt like the right fit and I kept coming back to veterinary medicine. This application cycle was a complete rollercoaster, but I knew when I started that I deserved a seat. I have learned to speak kinder to myself over this cycle. I have recognized that I’ve worked hard and I fought so many demons. My most validating moment happened during an interview when I was describing some work I had completed and my interviewer said it was very impressive. I think it is such a good idea to go and explore different career paths. When you have decided on veterinary medicine, and have erased any doubt, remember to be kind to yourself. Hard work will pay off. The voice that says you aren’t good enough, or you will mess up, blah, blah, blah— that voice is a liar. Someone somewhere is going to recognize your passion and you will earn a spot where you are meant to be.

Anyway, thanks for reading through this ramble and I’m rooting for you!
How were you able to shadow a military vet!? I’m super interested!

How were you able to shadow a military vet!? I’m super interested!
I am a military dependent, so I have base access! When I took my dogs in to the clinic on base to be registered I asked if I could shadow. I will say sometimes vet clinics on military installations will go long periods of time without a veterinarian, so that could be a barrier. If you have the access, just go ask! If not, you may be able to get in contact with vet students who have committed to serving upon graduation, and they may be able to get you in contact with someone about shadowing.