Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, new to the forum. congrats to all the acceptances up there!

I just got in to the UMass SURP, so now I have to choose between that and NIH SIP. Any advice? The NIH one is in cancer-related research (my main interest), the UMass one doesn't assign PIs until after acceptance. Any major difference in prestige between these two?

Besides that, 0/6 Amgen, rejected from Oregon as well and UMich REU. Still waiting on another 2 UMich programs, BBRI, CELEST, Seattle Biomed,

Junior, 3.46 at a lower Ivy, 1 pub in high school, no research in college.

Anyone with previous Umass/NIH experience mind filling me in? I came in rather late in the game with this research business.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got in to the UMass SURP, so now I have to choose between that and NIH SIP. Any advice? The NIH one is in cancer-related research (my main interest), the UMass one doesn't assign PIs until after acceptance. Any major difference in prestige between these two?

Besides that, 0/6 Amgen, rejected from Oregon as well and UMich REU. Still waiting on another 2 UMich programs, BBRI, CELEST, Seattle Biomed,

Anyone with previous Umass/NIH experience mind filling me in? I came in rather late in the game with this research business.

Did you apply through SURE funding or NIH? (For the UMass med school)

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from University of Minnesota LSSURP? They said they would notify applicants between March 3rd and April 16th.

Members don't see this ad :)

IMO, I don't think it really matters. I don't know what the NIH stipend is, but I know in the UMass email they said it's $4000 plus housing and transportation, which is a pretty sweet deal. Personally, I would take whatever pays more and I think I would enjoy more. I really don't think what program you go to matters unless you get into the summer program of a school that you are strongly considering for med/grad school. But that's just me.

Did anyone hear back from Havard Immunology?

has anyone heard back from UIC NSF-REU? The one by Seon Kim..

I find it weird when parents use the forum and talk about their kids. Is this normal? Let's discuss.

I mean, are parents so concerned about their child getting fancy research positions to go do medical/graduate school? I figured that most students going to these programs are intrinsically motivated and do not have their parents riding their back at 20 years old. Correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that parents post their children's accomplishments implies the parent is equally or more concerned about said child's acceptance.

I understand that you're helping other students know which program has sent out offers. Maybe it's me, but it just seems odd when parents do it. Shouldn't they be doing something more important than forum posting?

Cut that umbilical cord?

I was thinking the same thing, but the only reason I found it strange is because it's not something my parents would do. I would probably be really weirded out if my mom even remembered ONE of the programs I was accepted to.

In the end, every family is different, just because it's something we're not used to doesn't mean it's weird. :)

I was thinking the same thing, but the only reason I found it strange is because it's not something my parents would do. I would probably be really weirded out if my mom even remembered ONE of the programs I was accepted to.

In the end, every family is different, just because it's something we're not used to doesn't mean it's weird. :)

Agreed, but I do think it's unhealthy. Someday the kid has to grow up and take action in their own future. Our culture for some reason has this image that kids should be taken care of by their parents until their mid-twenties or later (health insurance, PLUS loans, etc). That to me is ridiculous.

But then again, just my opinion.

Has anybody heard from Cincinnati, Case Western SPUR, or Emory SURE yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm...I haven't received anything yet...does this mean I might be accepted?:thumbup: Haha probably not...it's probably more likely that my application got lost somewhere in the mail or being filed away...oh well:thumbdown:

Apparently I was on the waitlist Oo?

March 28, 2011
Dear

I want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your application to the Summer Undergraduate Research Education Program (SURP) 2011.
We received over 400 applications for the 13 positions. Our screening committee members made their final selections after careful consideration of all waitlisted applicants and regretfully, we will not able to offer you a position in SURP. I trust that you will be able to identify other opportunities that will allow you to pursue your interests.
I wish you much success as you move forward in your academic program.
Sincerely,
Basil Hanss, PhD Saghi Ghaffari, MD/PhD
Co-Director, SURP Co-Director, SURP

^ I think they wrote that for everyone... Eesh. Anyways, that's one more rejection for me. -_-

^ I think they wrote that for everyone... Eesh. Anyways, that's one more rejection for me. -_-

I too received one of those lovely emails...
Five rejections.
Three more programs to hear from.
Odds aren't looking likely.

For anyone who applied to these programs:

UT-Southwestern SUMR: Committee has selected. Notifications will be sent out soon.

MD Anderson: Committee is still selecting. Notifications will be sent out in early to mid-April.

UT-Houston: Department faculty will select. You will be e-mailed by the department in early April.

:xf:

rejected from mt sinai too.
6 rejections, 1 acceptance from mayo
1 assumed silent rejection from rockefeller?

Last edited:
Hmmmm...I haven't received anything yet...does this mean I might be accepted?:thumbup: Haha probably not...it's probably more likely that my application got lost somewhere in the mail or being filed away...oh well:thumbdown:

I haven't heard back from them yet either....

hi all, i have been following this thread because i have yet to find one relating specifically to undergraduate psychology internships. i have noticed several neuro programs mentioned here, so i figured this would be a good place to start. i applied to the yale nsf reu program for social cognition. acceptances should be given by beginning of april. just wondering if there are others out there like me, or if i should start a thread in the psychology area? congrats to all and best wishes for everyone still in pursuit.

generally how tough is it to get into one of these fellowships? it seems like there are tons of them out there..

hi all, i have been following this thread because i have yet to find one relating specifically to undergraduate psychology internships. i have noticed several neuro programs mentioned here, so i figured this would be a good place to start. i applied to the yale nsf reu program for social cognition. acceptances should be given by beginning of april. just wondering if there are others out there like me, or if i should start a thread in the psychology area? congrats to all and best wishes for everyone still in pursuit.

I applied mainly to neuroscience programs, specifically in clinical or cognitive neuroscience programs...so if you want to PM me, feel free!

Has anyone heard back from University of Wisc IBS-SRP or Tufts BDBS yet???

Called rockefeller today... no answer. Anyone have updates?

Has anyone heard back from University of Wisc IBS-SRP or Tufts BDBS yet???

Hey, yeah I got my acceptance from UW Madison IBS SRP on March 4. I think they keep sending out notifications until the end of April.

I don't know if anyone already posted about this, but the Mayo application has the (rejection) decision letters up-- apparently since 3/22.

Rejected from Northwestern on 3/23

Anybody heard from UWisc Madison SROP, Case Western SPUR, or NNIN REU?

Rejected from Northwestern on 3/23

Anybody heard from UWisc Madison SROP, Case Western SPUR, or NNIN REU?
I applied to Wisconsin and Case Western and haven't heard a peep from them. I think someone else on this thread applied to Wisconsin and has been accepted. Another person applied to Case Western and has been rejected. So I guess decisions on both programs have started to come out already...

has anyone heard from Tufts yet?

I know they're accepting 30 people in the Bio dept.

has anyone heard from Tufts yet?

I know they're accepting 30 people in the Bio dept.

Nothing yet... I sent an email to the admission dept at BBDS, requesting if its possible if they could let me know since I was offered another opportunity at another university. Have to let those guys know in a couple of days.
But I regret it now...since there is a possibility that I may have made them angry in making such a request. . . It was said on their website that they would send out notifications around May. I hope my action doesn't influence them to overlook my application because I would prefer going to Boston this summer. . .

anybody know whats going on with Wake Forests TSI and EICS programs?

Am I the only one who doesn't have a Mayo rejection letter posted to the account, but who also hasn't heard anything else?

I don't know if anyone reading this thread applied to Marquette's program, but I got a rejection letter this morning. Doesn't matter since I already accepted Virginia, but someone else may be interested.

Accepted: NIH/NIDDK STEP-UP
Rejected: Sloan-Kettering
Waitlisted: UCSF

Sophomore at a small California State University
3.93 GPA
No research experience.

Did anyone who was waitlisted at UCSF SRTP hear back yet? I can't imagine anyone getting into that program and not accepting...

I applied and got selected into the SURF INBRE program. Did anyone else apply to that?

The project I will be working on is based on:

"Versatile gold nanotechnology for cancer treatment"

Got into Stony Brook Stem Cell Research early March. Good Luck everyone!

Rejected from Emory SURE today. I may have received my notification now just because I called the director to ask about my status yesterday.

REjected everywhere (one waitlist) and won the goldwater. Funny how some things work

Congratulations on the Goldwater Scholarship!

If you won a Goldwater already, that must mean you have some killer research credentials, and some significant experiences already-- many of these programs I guess are looking to give students with meager/non-substantial research backgrounds a really meaningful summer internship. So by no means are summer internship application results a reflection of your scientific capabilities. After a while, these things get so damn competitive, it's a crapshoot.

Last year (summer after sophomore year), I was lucky enough to get into 3/4 excellent research programs I applied to in the Boston area-- I only had one crumby research summer prior, and no real skills besides cell culturing. This year, I only got into one of 5 programs (off the waitlist at that, and only because I had participated last year and made some connections.) Ironically, this year, I had a beefed up resume with awards, independent studies, work towards and honors thesis, and a shiny GPA. It was humbling, haha. But I got a Goldwater nod (an Honorable Mention, so not quite as stellar as you!), which boosted my spirits after a string of rejections.

Hang in there!

Is it just me, or does it seem like many programs and PIs are a bit at odds?

One of many programs' goals is to provide people with little research opportunities at their school an opportunity for research, but from what it sounds like on this thread, many PIs want summer students who largely know what they're doing already. How do these students know what they're doing? By having prior research experience.

Just accepted to my top choice program (the SURF program at my undergrad institution)! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!:thumbup: