Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted into the UofM cardiovascular center research fellowship yesterday. Has anyone here heard anything about it? Apparently, there were 12 spots for over 300 applicants. I don't know how this compares with the other research fellowships in the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Received this last thursday.
Dear STARS Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the UC San Diego STARS Program. Congratulations, I am sending you this quick note to tell you that you have been accepted to the summer program, pending final
financial arrangements. This means that I will be contacting the Director of your school program, (*******) to confirm and verify summer funding.

After funding has been approved you will receive additional detailed program information from me regarding, housing, stipends, travel, etc. STARS is an eight week program from June 19, 2011 to August 12, 2011.

I would like to confirm that you are still interested and available to commit to this internship. Please respond to this email immediately stating your availability and intentions for summer 2011, so we can move forward with your lab/faculty placement.

I will be in touch with you after I have spoken with your program contact. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you in June !

Warm regards,

Veronica

Declined them today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from UW Amgen.
Likewise too. On the other hand....I get to wait another two days until SHURP makes their final announcement regarding my wait-list status due to unexpected delays.

Received this last thursday.
Dear STARS Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the UC San Diego STARS Program. Congratulations, I am sending you this quick note to tell you that you have been accepted to the summer program, pending final
financial arrangements. This means that I will be contacting the Director of your school program, (*******) to confirm and verify summer funding.

After funding has been approved you will receive additional detailed program information from me regarding, housing, stipends, travel, etc. STARS is an eight week program from June 19, 2011 to August 12, 2011.

I would like to confirm that you are still interested and available to commit to this internship. Please respond to this email immediately stating your availability and intentions for summer 2011, so we can move forward with your lab/faculty placement.

I will be in touch with you after I have spoken with your program contact. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you in June !

Warm regards,

Veronica

Declined them today.

Looks like since I didn't have any funding i got rejected.:laugh:

GAHH! I guess today was another quiet day on the Mt. Sinai front =(

Looks like since I didn't have any funding i got rejected.:laugh:

I did hear that particular program specifically accepts students with funding as a priority because they don't have as much funding as other programs like AMGEN.

Got accepted into the NYU Rusk Rehabilitation Center Health Careers Opportunity Program....I just realized how ridiculously long that name is.

Anyhoo...did anyone else get in?

Still NO WORD from any of these programs!

My email from last year for CU AMGEN is dated March 24th... so maybe tomorrow?

Anybody have any other updates on these programs?!!?

Hello all,

I got accepted into University of Virginia's SRIP today. I'm really excited and happy!

However, I'm still waiting on a few other programs... this was the first one I had heard back from.

Has anyone heard from Marquette's SRP, Medical College of Wisconsin, or University of Chicago USSRIP? Does anyone know if Vanderbilt actually sends rejection letters, or do they do silent rejections?

Thanks!

Ugh Mt. Sinai. Nothing today again. Can someone else please call tomorrow? I'm sick of calling them.

I just got a rejection email from Stanford AMGEN that didn't even say I was rejected or that they couldn't offer me a position; just all the typical things about there being a lot of applicants. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
from CU Amgen and Stanford. Kind of pissed at CU because I already work in a lab there. Stanford's letter was the most gentle rejection I ever received. They were so nice about it.

from CU Amgen and Stanford. Kind of pissed at CU because I already work in a lab there. Stanford's letter was the most gentle rejection I ever received. They were so nice about it.

Yeah, I know. I was like, um, are they congratulating me?

I still haven't received a rejection from CU Amgen.

I've also received a rejection from Stanford Amgen. As other posters have noted, they were extremely vague with it. Crazy they only had 500 applicants; that's pretty low for Amgen.

Anyone still trying to find a spot in a lab for NIH SIP? I was one of the kids who turned in the application like at the deadline, and I haven't gotten around to emailing NIH researchers until about a week ago and seems like most spots are filled...I only found one professor who still has openings and he doesn't even make the decisions, his staff do.

Anyone apply for the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis/Summer Academy at City of Hope? Anyone apply for any private company internships (Monsanto, Novozymes, Genzyme etc)?

I've applied to a bunch of private company internships and haven't heard back, and I'm late to the game in applying for REUs so I fear that I might be screwed for making some $ this summer...

Just got the email....from SHURP. Not enough program spots...so they couldn't take me in...

When did you get the e-mail? Congrats btw.

The acceptance email came in the day before I posted that housing question. I felt that they are still reviewing people on the wait list and waiting to hear back from whom they offered the position. The deadline to respond is this Friday. So you should hear something by then. Good luck!

Did you just receive that e-mail from UMass? And that was for UMass med school - Worcester right?

Last edited:
Good morning,

On behalf of the ICE REU Selection Committee, I'd like to thank you for applying to the ICE REU program. We received more than 200 applications this year and the selection process was VERY difficult. Although you were not ultimately selected for a position this year, we thank you for your interest in our program. We also encourage freshmen and sophomore applicants to apply again next year (this year, 70% of the spots were awarded to juniors).

Thank you again, and best wishes for a great summer!

Kindest regards,

Shana Passonno

The acceptance email came in the day before I posted that housing question. I felt that they are still reviewing people on the wait list and waiting to hear back from whom they offered the position. The deadline to respond is this Friday. So you should hear something by then. Good luck!

Do you know if you were in the 1st round of acceptances? Are you accepting?

Make that four rejections.

Columbia AMGEN has begun to send out rejection notifications.

Quick question to those of you that were accepted:

How many of you did NOT have any prior research experience?

Anyone hear anything new from Mt Sinai or Rockefeller?

Hello,

I regret to inform you that you were not selected to receive an Amgen Scholarship for the upcoming summer. We had far, far more outstanding applicants than available scholarships this year.

This decision must not negate you from applying next year. As I'm sure you know, the Amgen Scholarship Program is an ongoing summer research opportunity; we encourage you to apply again next year, and thank you for your interest.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best of luck!

Rejected from Hopkins nanobiotech. Woot! As for research experience: I've a year of unsuccessful, but very intense research. Engineering something nobody has accomplished yet is a daunting task.

Has anybody heard back from:

Committee on Institutional Cooperation SROP
University of New Mexico REU
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine Summer Scholars

ive never worked in a lab before. ive only done some public health research.

Has anybody heard back from:

Committee on Institutional Cooperation SROP
University of New Mexico REU
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine Summer Scholars

Haven't heard from Wake Forest either thin i applied for a diff program though

Rejected to UCB, UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford Amgen and UCB NSF.

Sophmore at UC,
4.0 GPA
Lab research 1 year
1 pub

dont even know what to do anymore...

Response to CaduceusRex:

I've never been in a wet lab before outside of class, but I've done research before in anthropology and in public health.

Message to cheer people up: If you're a sophomore or freshman, don't be too disheartened! Apply again when you are juniors and things will very likely go better.

Great advice, kduck.
I was rejected from every single program I applied to last year as a sophomore (and I had a 3.9, 1 publication, and 2 years of research). This year, I have a 3.75, still 1 pub, and an extra year of research... And I've been accepted into 5 programs so far. I think a lot of these programs focus on juniors, so don't get discouraged if you don't get in this year!
Also, another note: I got acceptances to Nebraska MD/PhD Summer Program and UMass SURP this week and will be turning them down, so hopefully some of you guys get the spots!

Nope. Sent in my application about a month ago today. I think they said that we'd be hearing back from them in middle to late April?

Oh OK. That is definitely my favorite. I'm still waiting to hear from all of the others as well. I absolutely love Manhattan and NYU though :love:.

Freshman and Sophomores: as others have said, don't be discouraged. The programs really do focus on juniors that haven't done a summer program before, since most will not have another chance to participate. Good luck though!

Yeah, if you are a sophomore don't worry too much. If you get into any program, it's a good thing; just get some good research experience. I applied to 12 last year (as a sophomore) and got into two, which weren't big name programs;however, the one I took gave me great research experience. This year, I'm 6/14. Most of my acceptances aren't at extremely well known programs, but good ones all the same. I got into 1/7 Amgens and that's all I care about.

I have a 4.00, great recs, and 2 summers of research.

Yeah, if you are a sophomore don't worry too much. If you get into any program, it's a good thing; just get some good research experience. I applied to 12 last year (as a sophomore) and got into two, which weren't big name programs;however, the one I took gave me great research experience. This year, I'm 6/14. Most of my acceptances aren't at extremely well known programs, but good ones all the same. I got into 1/7 Amgens and that's all I care about.

I have a 4.00, great recs, and 2 summers of research.

Getting into an Amgen is a great accomplishment. I've read through previous years threads and nobody gets more than 3 amgens usually. 6/14 is legit too. Your stats blow mine out too. I didn't do too bad for first time applying though (as a jr) - 4/11 so far.

A great bit of advice that I've heard from several people that have done these programs before:

Make your personal statement stand out. Since most programs don't conduct interviews, the personal statement is where you can bring your application to life and make you more than just a letters and numbers on page. Considering that these summer programs are extremely competitive, your personal statement can provide that tiny push that puts you over the top, provided that you have enough to get you to that point in the first place.

A great bit of advice that I've heard from several people that have done these programs before:

Make your personal statement stand out. Since most programs don't conduct interviews, the personal statement is where you can bring your application to life and make you more than just a letters and numbers on page. Considering that these summer programs are extremely competitive, your personal statement can provide that tiny push that puts you over the top, provided that you have enough to get you to that point in the first place.

ya i think i was def lacking in the personal statement area. I thought my grades would push me over. oh well better luck next year

Response to CaduceusRex:

I've never been in a wet lab before outside of class, but I've done research before in anthropology and in public health.

Message to cheer people up: If you're a sophomore or freshman, don't be too disheartened! Apply again when you are juniors and things will very likely go better.

I concur. I'm a Junior with FAR from perfect grades (think lower 3.0 range) I've done a summer at SMDEP, a public health summer and I do work-study in an animal behavior/neurobio lab. But it was prob my letter of recs and/or essay that pushed me over.

I was in the same position Sophomore year. I got rejected everywhere. But I did call the program in which I was most interested (they gave me an interview so it's not like I was a total rando), and told them I wanted the experience and that the pay wasn't important. Within a week they found me a placement and I was able to participate in the program's enrichment activities as well.

Total lie about the pay, though...

I'm still getting rejected left, right and center, but I got one program (my top choice too!) and all you really need is one.