Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone here receive the HHMI ExROP Fellowship?

I was accepted to EXROP. Don't know where I will be placed yet but my top choices are Einstein and Columbia.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to EXROP. Don't know where I will be placed yet but my top choices are Einstein and Columbia.
Awesome! I'm hoping to be placed either in JHU, MA General Hospital, or Harvard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else here applied to Sloan Kettering??

Members don't see this ad :)
no i was not eligible due to my class standings, but I hear they are 2nd in the nations for cancer research

They were looking for junior year or early. No seniors allowed. @Qwerty2013

Ohhh i see. Did u apply before?

No a lot of programs are pretty particular for junior year, so it reduce the amount of programs I could apply to to 10-20% of the original. My friend in my lab is applying, he has a 3.98 taking 19-22 credit hour semesters and 1 publication. I get the feeling competition will be stiff.

It'd be helpful to post our stats and programs (if any) we are accepted to... for posterity or whatnot.

No a lot of programs are pretty particular for junior year, so it reduce the amount of programs I could apply to to 10-20% of the original. My friend in my lab is applying, he has a 3.98 taking 19-22 credit hour semesters and 1 publication. I get the feeling competition will be stiff.

It'd be helpful to post our stats and programs (if any) we are accepted to... for posterity or whatnot.
Wow thats pretty impressive. Lol

Hi guys!
Did anyone apply for Rockefeller or HSCI HIP? If so, when do we get a reply? I know it says mid March but I have read that some people got replies quite early - end of Feb?

Looks like I will be participating in the Einstein SURP!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll officially be participating in JHU SIP! I'll see you at Chevy Chase?
Congrats! I didn't know JHU did early acceptances. Did you email a PI or is it just early acceptance? Also, if you dont mind me asking, what is your stats?

Congrats! I didn't know JHU did early acceptances. Did you email a PI or is it just early acceptance? Also, if you dont mind me asking, what is your stats?
It was through an HHMI Fellowship that matches you with an HHMI investigator and allows you to participate in whatever undergrad. summer research program they have there.
HYP sophomore, 3.8+, not URM.

It was through an HHMI Fellowship that matches you with an HHMI investigator and allows you to participate in whatever undergrad. summer research program they have there.
HYP sophomore, 3.8+, not URM.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying that for me! :laugh:

Hi guys!
Did anyone apply for Rockefeller or HSCI HIP? If so, when do we get a reply? I know it says mid March but I have read that some people got replies quite early - end of Feb?
I'm applying to HSCI program, too. Looking at last year's thread, I think we will learn about our application status by the end of February.

I'm applying to HSCI program, too. Looking at last year's thread, I think we will learn about our application status by the end of February.
Yes, it looks like. If you don't mind, may I ask you what is your academic background and research experiences? I am an international student from UK and it is the first time that I applied for an intern in the US.

Yes, it looks like. If you don't mind, may I ask you what is your academic background and research experiences? I am an international student from UK and it is the first time that I applied for an intern in the US.
I'm a third year medical student from Turkey. I have no laboratory research experience, but I'm very interested in stem cell research. I believe I showed that really clear in my personal statement which is the only thing that I'm counting on since I have a 3.5 GPA. What about you?

I'm a third year medical student from Turkey. I have no laboratory research experience, but I'm very interested in stem cell research. I believe I showed that really clear in my personal statement which is the only thing that I'm counting on since I have a 3.5 GPA. What about you?
I think the program is only for undergrad students......?

I think the program is only for undergrad students......?
Even though it says on HSCI website, I double checked with the program director. They make exceptions for international students in 6 year medical programs (I started medical school right after high school)

Ok cool. I am a second year Neuroscience student at UCL. I am interested in development and regeneration of the nervous system so I think the stem cell research on neurodegenerative diseases would be great, which I specifically specified in the personal statement. I devoted quite a lot of time to personal statement as well, I think its the most important way to "sell" yourself. I have some lab experiences from last summer and I currently work in a genetics lab as a lab technician. My GPA is 3.91 but I don't think the GPA is the most important selection criteria. It's all about personal statement and LORs.

Ok cool. I am a second year Neuroscience student at UCL. I am interested in development and regeneration of the nervous system so I think the stem cell research on neurodegenerative diseases would be great, which I specifically specified in the personal statement. I devoted quite a lot of time to personal statement as well, I think its the most important way to "sell" yourself. I have some lab experiences from last summer and I currently work in a genetics lab as a lab technician. My GPA is 3.91 but I don't think the GPA is the most important selection criteria. It's all about personal statement and LORs.
Hopefully we will both get accepted and perhaps see each other at HSCI this summer :) Best of luck!

Hopefully we will both get accepted and perhaps see each other at HSCI this summer :) Best of luck!
Would be great :) Good luck to you too. Keep me posted if you get any news from HSCI :)

Hello everyone, I am new here..
When does EPFL sends the acceptance mails out?

Last edited:
After emailing about 50 PI's, I finally managed to get a position for NIH SIP!

Congratulations!

I was offered an unpaid research position at my home university that will be a back-up in case I'm not accepted anywhere haha

Congratulations!

I was offered an unpaid research position at my home university that will be a back-up in case I'm not accepted anywhere haha

I ended up doing that the summer after freshman year at my home university, and I still had the opportunity to do as much as the HHMI-funded students. Your worst case scenario is still solid haha

Anyone know of chemistry REUs (preferably Biochemistry) where the deadline has not passed?

Also anyone familiar with Boston REU for chemistry? Would it still be worth while to apply there even though its really late?

I just received acceptances to mayo SURF and NYU SURP within 24 hrs of each other. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: 4 users
I just received acceptances to mayo SURF and NYU SURP within 24 hrs of each other. Decisions, decisions.
Congratulations! Those are both excellent programs. Mind me asking when you were complete?

Congratulations! Those are both excellent programs. Mind me asking when you were complete?

I think I finished the NYU application just before new years and mayo in mid-january.

19 or so days away until JHU SIP acceptances go out! The waiting part sucks! :yawn:

NYU Sackler? 0_o

Anyway, most programs on my list have a deadline of Feb 15 - Mar 01

Starting to feeling worried.

NYU Sackler? 0_o

Anyway, most programs on my list have a deadline of Feb 15 - Mar 01

Starting to feeling worried.

Yep, NYU Sackler. I received the email from the program director at about 5pm yesterday, it seemed weird to get it on a sunday, and have until the 24th to accept. Mayo would like me to let them know by the end of the week. I'm leaning towards NYU but it's a tough choice.

Yep, NYU Sackler. I received the email from the program director at about 5pm yesterday, it seemed weird to get it on a sunday, and have until the 24th to accept. Mayo would like me to let them know by the end of the week. I'm leaning towards NYU but it's a tough choice.
You can't really go wrong. I'd go to NYU for the city, but that's just me :D

Today I was accepted to Mayo SURF. TWICE! Decisions..decisions... ;)

Looks like a kid already created the facebook page for mayo surf applicants so if you are planning to go there..like the page

Today I was accepted to Mayo SURF. TWICE! Decisions..decisions... ;)

Looks like a kid already created the facebook page for mayo surf applicants so if you are planning to go there..like the page
Congrats! I hope I hear back from Mayo soon--I can't stand the wait lol. How were you accepted twice?

Congrats! I hope I hear back from Mayo soon--I can't stand the wait lol. How were you accepted twice?
Thanks! I got an E-mail at about 7 in the morning from a PI saying they invited me to join their laboratory, I wanted to wait a day or 2 to respond so I waited. That evening I got another E-mail from a different PI asking me to join their group. I have till the end of the month to decide so I get to make some big decisions! It's good to hear I got accepted but there are a couple other places I'm still holding out for, but Mayo is still held of high prestige in my eyes so I'll take what I can get! Lol.

hey guys, I just heard back from the JHU SIP today that I've been accepted in the pulmonary program. I am really surprised!

Reactions: 6 users
hey guys, I just heard back from the JHU SIP today that I've been accepted in the pulmonary program. I am really surprised!

Congrats! I got placed on the wait-list :oops:

Would it be safe to assume if I haven't received an email yet then I probably wasn't accepted?

Would it be safe to assume if I haven't received an email yet then I probably wasn't accepted?

I'm not saying this from experience, but a lot of these programs do a general rolling admission once the deadline passes so if you applied really early then there is a good chance you would get an acceptance sooner than someone else.

Reactions: 3 users