Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys, though I don't mean for this year because Cornell's was my first choice because of my desire to get my md/phd (The director of the summer program is the director of the ACTUAL md/phd program, do well in the program and my chances look good) but I mean in the future, what are some more competitive programs than the ones I already got into so I can apply in future summers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CONGRATS! I can totally see you doing that dance btw :)

Nothing yet from Baylor. :xf: Denied from SURF at Cincinnati Children's Hospital though. 50 accepted out of more than 1000.

Oh well. I'm making kale chips. Kale keeps the hope alive, man :) lol

When did you here from cincinnati children's, they have not sent me anything yet, I am not sure why? I applied in January. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've yet to hear from UNMC. Has anyone received an acceptance letter?

When did you here from cincinnati children's, they have not sent me anything yet, I am not sure why? I applied in January. Thanks for your help.

They sent me an email. I applied near the deadline though. Maybe a few days before Feb. 15th. You might still be in the running! :xf:

I applied to UCSD's Amgen Scholars Program and really really want to get in!!! But I haven't heard back from them (even though they said we'd know by "mid-March"). Has anyone heard back from UCSD Amgen?

Also - I noticed that no one in this thread is talking about UCSD's Amgen program. Is it not prestigious enough?

I applied to UCSD's Amgen Scholars Program and really really want to get in!!! But I haven't heard back from them (even though they said we'd know by "mid-March"). Has anyone heard back from UCSD Amgen?

Also - I noticed that no one in this thread is talking about UCSD's Amgen program. Is it not prestigious enough?

they sent out some emails last friday. you should call them. Also, most people who don't live in California don't know how nice a place UC San Diego is [beachfront] or how good a school that is.

UCSD is one of the best neuroscience research universities in the world, and it bugs me to no end that you're asking about if it's "prestigious enough."

I still haven't heard back from UCSF Amgen and my app is still "under review", but I know several people who already received rejection letters. That makes me think I'm still in the running. Do you think it's a good idea to email/call the program to indicate I'm still interested and that their my top choice?

P.S. All this waiting is driving me insanely crazy! I need to plan my summer soon!

You should call. I called the Program Director to ask a question once and he was extremely nice!

Just received an acceptance email from UCSF this afternoon!!!

If you accept to go, I'll see you there!!

congrats ForeverHumbled!

Much appreciated! Congrats on your acceptance to NYU! :thumbup:
Congrats you two! :claps:
Thanks bro! Man I know your excited to get into Baylor and you state's SURF :thumbup: Congrats!
they sent out some emails last friday. you should call them. Also, most people who don't live in California don't know how nice a place UC San Diego is [beachfront] or how good a school that is.
Absolutely. I've been looking at pictures of their beautiful city/university and it looks like you can be campus at UCSD and basically walk across the street and you're at the beach! :cool: Surf's up!

stannislaus, I think you may be slightly looking at these programs in the wrong way a little bit (kinda with blinders in a sense). I mean, prestige is one thing- but these are research programs right? I think you should look at which universities have research opportunites in areas that you are generally interested and see where their program ranks according to research. Like myself, I saw that the REU program at UCSD had a project in my exact area of interest in biomaterials research to help treat heart attacks and heart diseases. Yeah, their university might not be thought of as "top-notch / prestigious" overall, but according to US News and World Reports, their Biomedical Engineering program ranks #4 (above MIT) according to their research. What I'm suggesting is to take a look at these programs with a new set of eyes!

Hey all...
Alright so I still have not received an answer which were 'suppose' to be sent out by now... Has anyone heard back from Harvards SHURP..... and if so... should i assume its a rejection if I have not received any email yet past the Tuesday 3/20/12?

Hey all...
Alright so I still have not received an answer which were 'suppose' to be sent out by now... Has anyone heard back from Harvards SHURP..... and if so... should i assume its a rejection if I have not received any email yet past the Tuesday 3/20/12?

I haven't either. I think we've been rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks bro! Man I know your excited to get into Baylor and you state's SURF :thumbup: Congrats!
Just a little! ;) I've already accepted Baylor!

Updated data...

Summer 2012 Data:

Johns Hopkins Nanobiotech REU
: 12 positions / 700 applicants = 1.7% acceptance rate
Columbia Amgen: 17 positions / 900+ applicants = ≤ 1.9% acceptance rate
UCSD Regen./M.S. BioE. REU: 10 positions / 450+ applicants = ≤ 2.2% acceptance rate
NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
NYU CNS REU: 10 positions / ~300 applicants = ~ 3% acceptance rate
Penn State (Hershey) SURIP: 15 positions / 393 applicants = 3.8% acceptance rate
UW Amgen: ~26 positions / 560 applicants = 4.6% acceptance rate
Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 5% acceptance rate
UV SNURF: ~10 positions / 200 applicants = > 5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13-25 positions / 400-453 applicants = 2.9-6.3% acceptance rate
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
Yale BioSTEP: 24 positions / ~300 applicants = 8% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 8.5% acceptance rate (≤ 23.5% including alternates)
Mayo SURF: 120 positions / 1135 applicants = 10.6% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2012 Data:

URochester SURF: 10-12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Baylor SMART: ~70 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Case Pharmacology SURP: 6 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate

Summer 2011 Data:

Vandy UCRIP: 14 positions / 700 applicants = 2% acceptance rate
UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UVA SRIP: 30 positions / 400+ applicants = 7.5% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

Columbia NYSTEM: 70-79 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
St. Jude POE: ~12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate[/QUOTE]

Has anyone else hear from Ciccinnati Children's Surf or Toledo Surf?

^ I've heard from Toledo SURF. I had to tell them if I was attending or not by today.

Rejected from UIC SROP. No biggie, but I thought I would've had the best chance for this.

NOOOO! I really really really wanted UCSD Amgen :(((
I called them and they said that I should have received an email - but for some reason I didn't. I'm worried that they lost my application, or my application just slipped out of their hands. But I guess at this point, I don't have any realistic chance of getting in. :(
UCSD would have been perfect for me though. *sigh*

Is it too late to apply to other summer research programs?

I have not heard from mount sinia SURP yet!! Should i just assume that i've rejected. Is there anyone who hasn't heard from Mount sinia yet?

still nothing from sinai. I have probably been rejected...

Turned down BU SURF today. Hope someone from SDN gets my spot. :)

Did BU SURF send a confirmation e-mail when your application was complete? I checked my files and can't seem to find one and I've yet to hear back from them.

Did BU SURF send a confirmation e-mail when your application was complete? I checked my files and can't seem to find one and I've yet to hear back from them.

The only email I got after submitting the app was the acceptance.

I know some people are curious about it, so FYI Einstein sent out a first round of acceptances this weekend... I had a friend just get in!

I know several have heard from UT Southwestern's SURF, but has anyone heard from UT Southwestern's SUMR? Also, has anyone heard from UTHSCSA SURF or UVA SRIP? I was accepted at VSSA (clinical research) and will most likely attend; however, I'm curious if any of these others will be released in the next few days (deadline for responding to VSSA).

i applied to CSUF's MHIRT

not a lot of ppl applied because it's CSUF, but what they don't realize is the training laboratory is at labs at Oxford or Cambridge

and the stipend is... A LOT. they dont say how much it is on the website but i suppose its to make sure only people really interested in the science apply

:D just letting u guys knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

its funny cuz everyone here at my school is worried about how prestigious a program is and mentioning names of universities like it matters but no one cares about what kind of equipment you get to use and what you learn

just goes to show pre meds are social climbers (by necessity i guess we have to be to impress adcoms, rite?) hehe love you ALL :D

but damn those acceptance %'s are low as hell.

guys, look for non-big name summer programs. im glad i did. i applied to 1 program and got in. nonfamous summer programs can be just as nice, great stipend, and depending on the program youre PI is can be great and super famous, or not :D

Who has decided to attend VSSA? I'm accepting tomorrow. Was there a FB page/group that y'all eventually made? Also, does anyone have this year's stats for the UCRP (undergraduate clinical research program @ VSSA)?

For people who applied to UCSD Amgen:

Have you heard back yet? I know that acceptances were emailed, but were rejections/waitlists also emailed out?

Hey! Just found this forum--great resource. Spent all day going through it.
I'm deciding between the VSSA program and Baylor SMART for this summer. Does anyone have any advice or experience on either?

Thanks!

Waitlisted at UChicago for the PSOMER program. Only ten position were offered

Rejected:
UPenn, Harvard/SHURP, Amgens: UCLA, UCB & UCSD, MIT, NYU/Sackler, UVA

Waiting:
JAX, UCSF (won't go anyway now), UMinn/LSSRP

Accepted;
NYU/CNS SURP, UIUC-ISNI, NEPRC

I'm a neuro major, so it's interesting that all the neuro-focused places did accept me, and none of the more general programs did. but I'm super excited either way. :D

By the way for all the ROCHESTER SURP PEOPLE !
I go to UR and stayed over the summer for research. My friend was in SURP and she had a good time (lots of busywork/classes). I know laundry sucks. I currently live right next to where all the summer people will live and you'll have to lug your laundry to some local place a couple blocks down or to the med center since the two towers that have laundry in the basement will be locked up. So have a nice sized suitcase for laundry or like.. a sturdy roll-y laundry caddy. It's a less than 10 min walk to the med center though, and there are limited buses running.
Also bring a big fan! there's no AC and it will get disgustingly hot where you live but the med center is gorgeous and wonderfully ac'd. But there's a nice living room and full sized kitchen, it's just a bit old.

Last edited:
Rejected:

Waiting:

Accepted;

I'm a neuro major, so it's interesting that all the neuro-focused places did accept me, and none of the more general programs did. but I'm super excited either way. :D

I go to UR and stayed over the summer for research. My friend was in SURP and she had a good time (lots of busywork/classes). I know laundry sucks. I currently live right next to where all the summer people will live and you'll have to lug your laundry to some local place a couple blocks down or to the med center since the two towers that have laundry in the basement will be locked up. So have a nice sized suitcase for laundry or like.. a sturdy roll-y laundry caddy. It's a less than 10 min walk to the med center though, and there are limited buses running.
Also bring a big fan! there's no AC and it will get disgustingly hot where you live but the med center is gorgeous and wonderfully ac'd. But there's a nice living room and full sized kitchen, it's just a bit old.

When did you hear back from Harvard SHURP?....... I don't think i have any chance of getting accepted there at this point but i haven't received an email from them

turned down UTHSCSA PHARM SURP today, hope someone gets my spot!

When did you hear back from Harvard SHURP?....... I don't think i have any chance of getting accepted there at this point but i haven't received an email from them

Oh I just took the non-response as a no. I wasn't URM or from a non-research institution, so I knew it was a long shot.

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt's Undergraduate Clinical Research Program? I'm afraid that my email did not go through. :confused:

is there still ANY chance for leadership alliance if you haven't been notified yet!?

I'm trying to remain optimistic.

Rejected:

Waiting:

Accepted;

Hey, I go to the UR too. I haven't stayed in Rochester over the summer but there are definitely laundry machines in the building where the SURF students are housed. There isn't A/C though so I would suggest bringing a fan.

is there still ANY chance for leadership alliance if you haven't been notified yet!?

I'm trying to remain optimistic.

I would call the research sites for an update. Chances are, you are on the waitlist.:xf:

Did anybody do Drexel SURF? Can you tell me about it and the competitiveness of the program? I am trying to decide to go or not.

Has anyone heard from MD Anderson or Med College of Wisconsin SPUR yet? Still waiting....

I haven't heard from Mount Sinai SURP yet. Should i just assume that i got rejected. how did you guys find out if you were accepted or not. Did they specifically send an email...Thanks !!!!!

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UW Amgen? Have not received any word from them at all, and the site says they will notify by the end of March (changed from middle of March), although I saw that someone has admission stats a few pages back..

I'm not sure if this is "acceptable," but oh well. I sent out emails to most of the programs that I haven't heard back yet from asking about my status. Most said they would send out decisions in early March. I didn't email the ones who said their decisions would come out in April or the one I'm pretty sure I was silently rejected from.

Hopefully, they view it as interest and not me nagging. :xf:

Hey, I go to the UR too. I haven't stayed in Rochester over the summer but there are definitely laundry machines in the building where the SURF students are housed. There isn't A/C though so I would suggest bringing a fan.

Interesting. They were definitely all in the maisonettes last year and glc was locked up.

You are not alone. I called mt. sinai, but the staff who picked up the phone said "call us back if you don't hear from us in the next two weeks". I don't think I have any chance. According to the thread last year, they sent out rejections in batches, which is weird.

Last edited: