SUNY upstate, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just got an answer...."I cannot reveal your exact placement on the list except to say that you are in a "grey area", meaning that it's hard to predict what will happen.".....whatever thaaat means

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I got:

Based on where your name appears on the list, and how far we've reached
down the list in years past, I would say you stand a reasonably good chance
of being contacted later this summer. There are no guarantees however and
this is just a prediction. Each year is different and there is always the
possibility that the list will move more slowly and that we will not reach
you. Feel free to contact us again in June and we will have a better idea
then. For now, remain optimistic and hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
still waiting on mine as well....

yep, still waiting here too... i imagine they were inundated with e-mails yesterday after it was posted here that we could ask lol

I just emailed a few minutes ago, hopefully will hear something soon!

Has anyone tried phoning in?? Or is that not allowed??

Members don't see this ad :)

I did yesterday - thats how I was told to e-mail them about it. I guess they don't do it over the phone so they can decide what to tell you your chances are without having to do it on the spot. That's just a guess though.

Well, you guys are all lucky because i do not even have my letter yet. As I live in Canada the mail prob takes a couple extra days. I do nto even know what waitlist I am on. This is driving me crazy!!!:eek: :eek:

wow - noon 2 days after the e-mail and still nothing when some people heard within an hour or two... wonder what the hold up is...

I called the office after emailed two days ago, the person who knows the list is out till monday. So that explains why many of us did not get a reply.

So much for waiting til monday to hear from them. Not the best news though - I actually wonder if I'm really in this "grey area" or if they actually tell people who are low in the list that they don't stand much of a shot.

"You are in what we refer to as a "grey area" on the wait list meaning it's
difficult to predict what will happen, especially this early on. The list
starts moving around mid May. You can contact me again in June and I can
let you know how quickly or slowly the list is moving and what I think
your chances might be for getting contacted off the wait list then. In the
meantime, hang in there!"

This is what I got:

"Based on where your name appears on the list and based on how far down the
list we've reached in the past few years, I'd say there's a likely
chance that we will be contacting you. However, this is only a prediction
based on what's happened in the past and each year is different. There
are no guarantees. For now, stay optimistic and hang in there!"

Is it the same person who writes these emails? So far I've seen: likely, reasonably good, grey area. Can we read into these subtle wording? Man, I'm getting paranoid now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh yeah baby, I just got my HPA letter in the mail. I am emailing them right now.

So, you guys got those emails today, even though the one guy said no one would hear anything until Monday??

Got the same message that AnxiousBoy did. So, I'm likely - whatever that means.

Just taking a total stab in the dark here, but I think that means that your chances of getting in are good...

But thats just a total hunch...

You are in what we refer to as a "grey area" on the wait list meaning it's difficult to predict what will happen, especially this early on. The list starts moving around mid May. You can contact me again in June and I can let you know how quickly or slowly the list is moving and what I think your chances might be for getting contacted off the wait list then. It could really go either way. In the mean time, hang in there!

I got the "grey area" email today. Boo,WHo:( :(

I wonder if there is anything "worse" than that. Like a "black area" or a "not getting in for sure area" that they send out in emails. DO you guys think the "grey area" is the worst you could be on on the HPL???

I got the "grey area" email today. Boo,WHo:( :(

I wonder if there is anything "worse" than that. Like a "black area" or a "not getting in for sure area" that they send out in emails. DO you guys think the "grey area" is the worst you could be on on the HPL???

That's my guess unfortunately. I'm sure some of us probably are in that iffy area, but given that no one here has heard that they are not likely to get in, Im guessing everyone in that group is given the generic "grey area" e-mail. The only other explanation i can think of is that they might sometimes get all the way through the HPA and, in light of that, if you are on the HPA at all, but are low, you are in a "grey area"

I am on the High Priority Waitlist and unfortunately was just told that it is unlikely that they will get to me. I'm a bit confused since I thought I heard at my interviews that HPW is basically a late acceptance. I must be one of the last names on the list. I'm out of state though...don't know how that comes into play.

I'm extremely disappointed (I have no other acceptances), but I would think that they're pretty conservative in their predictions of waitlist movement at this time. Who knows...maybe we're all in better shape than we think.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the percentage of HPWs that have gained acceptance in recent years?

I am on the High Priority Waitlist and unfortunately was just told that it is unlikely that they will get to me. I'm a bit confused since I thought I heard at my interviews that HPW is basically a late acceptance. I must be one of the last names on the list. I'm out of state though...don't know how that comes into play.

I'm extremely disappointed (I have no other acceptances), but I would think that they're pretty conservative in their predictions of waitlist movement at this time. Who knows...maybe we're all in better shape than we think.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the percentage of HPWs that have gained acceptance in recent years?

Sorry to hear :(. Out of curiosity did you get an email that said you were in a "gray area", or a message that said they wouldnt reach you. Just to shed some light on the cryptic messages they sent to some of us.

GL, hopefully they will get through the whole list :)

I, ironically as the OP of this post, withdrew from Upstate today. I hope this helps one of you out.

Why thank you OP. :) By the way did you send in an email and/or a letter??

NYyanx 28,
I am adding you to theacceptance withdrawal thread.

Why thank you OP. :) By the way did you send in an email and/or a letter??

I sent an e-mail, which I assume is sufficient as SUNY Downstate already sent my check back(after e-mailing them with a withdrawal as well). Good luck to all of you future SUNY Upstaters, in the end I liked your school a lot, but the area didn't fit me personally.

Sorry to hear :(. Out of curiosity did you get an email that said you were in a "gray area", or a message that said they wouldnt reach you. Just to shed some light on the cryptic messages they sent to some of us.

GL, hopefully they will get through the whole list :)

The Admissions Office replied to my email and said that "it's unlikely that we will reach your name." They also said that every year is different and they will know more in June.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully the list will move well this year.

Well that means that there are three categories as far as emails post High priority waitlist goes.

1) You will likely get accepted
2) Gray Area
3) Unlikely

Ok, I am not feeling so horrible about the "grey area" now. I'll just keep at it.

has anyone else gleaned more information regarding the HP waitlist?

when should we be expecting a little news or updates?

is everyone else feeling increasingly anxious to know something?

Hey,

I just got an offer for the Binghamton program (by phone). I was on the HPA list if anyone is wondering.

I'm thinking it over since I have another offer from a different school, but I'm leaning towards Upstate, Overall I really liked what I saw on interview day

hey,

i'm on the HPA at suny upstate too, and i haven't heard anything yet. has anyone else been accepted off the list?

gluck to all of you! i really hope you guys hear soon.

if there's some accepted people here. can we get a facebook group or something started?

other schools have one, and i feel left out. haha.

hey,

i'm on the HPA at suny upstate too, and i haven't heard anything yet. has anyone else been accepted off the list?

I was accepted off the HPA list a week and a half ago

Now to start looking for off campus housing...

I was accepted off the HPA list a week and a half ago

Now to start looking for off campus housing...

That's great! If you do not mind me asking , when did you interview, waitlisted and what were your stats?

I was also accepted off the HPA list. I interviewed in early February and was an OOS applicant.

That's great! If you do not mind me asking , when did you interview, waitlisted and what were your stats?

I believe I interviewed on Feb 14th or around that date and was told I was on the high priority waitlist a couple weeks later.

I just graduated from SUNY Geneseo with a BS in biophysics and a 3.6 GPA. I got a 30 on the MCATs and had a couple summers worth of physics research, but didn't really have any clinical experience to speak of

Hi guys,

I was aimlessly going around from page to page, and for no reason, decided to log onto the application page. I haven't been on this page for a while but I've noticed something there that I don't think was there before......

Application Data
Admission Term: Fall 2007 Term
Admission Type: Regular (Standard)
Application Status: Decision Made
Current Program
Doctor of Medicine
Level: Professional
Program: Medicine MD <==========================
Catalog Term: Fall 2007 Term
College: College of Medicine
Campus: Syracuse <==========================
Major: Medicine
Date Created: Sep 26, 2006

What is this? I never got a call or anything saying that I was pulled off the waitlist. Am I reading too much into this? Do others have this as well? I'm sure this wasn't there before. Is this just formality? Anyone with insight would be grateful, so that I don't get too worked up about this.

Anxiously out.

I have the same thing on my status page and also have not received a call. I hope it means that we got in but they havent called yet :). Seriously, I have no idea. It is weird that that appeared though.

Hi guys,

I was aimlessly going around from page to page, and for no reason, decided to log onto the application page. I haven't been on this page for a while but I've noticed something there that I don't think was there before......

Application Data
Admission Term: Fall 2007 Term
Admission Type: Regular (Standard)
Application Status: Decision Made
Current Program
Doctor of Medicine
Level: Professional
Program: Medicine MD <==========================
Catalog Term: Fall 2007 Term
College: College of Medicine
Campus: Syracuse <==========================
Major: Medicine
Date Created: Sep 26, 2006

What is this? I never got a call or anything saying that I was pulled off the waitlist. Am I reading too much into this? Do others have this as well? I'm sure this wasn't there before. Is this just formality? Anyone with insight would be grateful, so that I don't get too worked up about this.

Anxiously out.

I am also on the HPA list. I dont think it means anything. Are you sure this was not there before?

It definitely was not there before, I remember checking recently (maybe 3-4 weeks ago) and saw know such thing.

Oschemi, does yours also say that?

It definitely was not there before, I remember checking recently (maybe 3-4 weeks ago) and saw know such thing.

Oschemi, does yours also say that?

Yeah it does. I just dont want to get excited. Oh boy!