SUNY upstate, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you for the Login info,
what about the PIN, is that provided by SUNY?

I believe it's your birthday. for example june 1, 1985 would be 060185....but ti should be in your secondary application email...

Members don't see this ad.

good luck to everyone! i'm sure they're swamped right now. maybe they're just too busy to make a lot of calls right now.

but umm on a different note.

anyone going to the 2nd visit day? from the email it doesn't seem like it's that different from the interview day, well minus the interviews. couple presentations, tours, student panel... is there a point?

good luck to everyone! i'm sure they're swamped right now. maybe they're just too busy to make a lot of calls right now.

but umm on a different note.

anyone going to the 2nd visit day? from the email it doesn't seem like it's that different from the interview day, well minus the interviews. couple presentations, tours, student panel... is there a point?

Hi guys. Current student at Upstate here. One advantage to second look is that it is the weekend, which gives you more time to explore the area. My wife and I actually decided what area in which we wanted to live then. Also, it is much less formal and relaxed. Last year, one of the anatomy profs., Dr. Berg, did a knee dissection demonstration for everyone. You also get to talk privately with current students about whatever questions / concerns you have, without worrying about any imoact on the admissions process.

Another advantage is that the weather is much better. Most people interview when the weather here sucks, this often gives another view.

racerx

Members don't see this ad :)
well, mine is March 21st. So at least that late. i think they end at the end Of March.

So who's going to the 2nd look day?? Also, are you guys going alone or with a family member? I asked them earlier and they said you can bring someone else but you have to notify them beforehand.

can we get there saturday rather than friday? I am really interested but can't afford to miss my lab on friday. Missing it is out of the question.

can we get there saturday rather than friday? I am really interested but can't afford to miss my lab of friday. Missing it is out of the question.

I don't think so. Since the schedule they sent me is for Friday only from 9:30 to 3:30 I think.

So who's going to the 2nd look day?? Also, are you guys going alone or with a family member? I asked them earlier and they said you can bring someone else but you have to notify them beforehand.
Hi all... been lurking awhile... I was placed on the HPA List in January. Is this second look day/weekend only meant for people who've already been accepted? For some reason, I thought that it'd be open to all who've at least been wait-listed. But I've not received any sort of invitation, and it seems like it's happening this Friday!?

Did I miss an email or an envelope? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all... been lurking awhile... I was placed on the HPA List in January. Is this second look day/weekend only meant for people who've already been accepted? For some reason, I thought that it'd be open to all who've at least been wait-listed. But I've not received any sort of invitation, and it seems like it's happening this Friday!?

Did I miss an email or an envelope? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

i think its just if you were accepted as of now.

Did I miss an email or an envelope? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE
if you don't mind sharing what stats did you have to get the HPA?
thanks dilantin

Members don't see this ad :)

you don't mind sharing what stats did you have to get the HPA?
thanks dilantin

Second look is this Friday?! Wow! Last year it was held the third weekend in April.

Anyone interview around 1/29 and hear back yet?

I think the 2nd look day is only for the accepted people. It's next Friday, March 9th.

you don't mind sharing what stats did you have to get the HPA?
thanks dilantin

I am High Priority too. 31 MCAT. 2.75 first degree, 3.94 second degree (biology). Cum is 3.33. Research 3+ years, volunteer ambulance corps, great LOR's and lots of professional experience. Hope this helps!

If I see decision made on my status page and didnt get a phone call acceptance, can I assume I am on the waitlist??:(

If I see decision made on my status page and didnt get a phone call acceptance, can I assume I am on the waitlist??:(

I'm in the same boat as you! Maybe they just haven't gotten around to calling us yet? You never know (desperately trying to stay optimisic)...

Ahh...the suspense is killing me! when did you interview? I was on jan 31

I just got a letter that I'm on the HPA list today. Does anyone know if there's a possibility we'll get off the list before May 15?

I interviewed recently, and I was just concerned that there are no more acceptances to be given? Not sure if this is true...maybe my interviewer was testing me (this is what my friends all think) but my interviewer said "there are no more acceptances left and you are interviewing for a waitlist position." Maybe he was trying to figure out how I'd respond under pressure?

My interviews lasted 50 minutes (faculty) and 1 hour and 15 minutes (student). Does length really matter?

Does an interviewer say "You did good," at the end just to make the interviewee feel better? I seriously felt like I bombed the interview. My faculty interviewer NEVER nodded and NEVER smiled at me but he said that to me at the end RIGHT before I left.

I interviewed recently, and I was just concerned that there are no more acceptances to be given? Not sure if this is true...maybe my interviewer was testing me (this is what my friends all think) but my interviewer said "there are no more acceptances left and you are interviewing for a waitlist position." Maybe he was trying to figure out how I'd respond under pressure? dunno?

My interviews lasted 50 minutes (faculty) and 1 hour and 15 minutes (student). Does length really matter?

Lastly! Does an interviewer say "You did good," at the end just to make the interviewee feel better? I seriously felt like I bombed the interview. My faculty interviewer NEVER nodded and NEVER smiled at me but he said that to me at the end RIGHT before I left.

suny upstate was my first interview. it sounds like your experience was very similar to mine. the interviewer sort of dug into me on undergrad grades, and didn't give any emotional sign to my responses. i thought the interview was going poorly because of this but i stood my ground. at the end of it he said that i did a good job, and i immediately got this gut feeling that i passed his "test". ultimately i was accepted. i know everything can be taken one way or another. but i think its a good sign in regards to your interviewers comment. it might not mean that you got in, but it definitely means you didn't screw things uo during the interview. i know this because i have screwed up some interviews and the interviewer didn't complement me at the end.

Nope...some biochem guy with a PHD

*bump*

Pretty sure Ihateverbal's student interviewer was me. Anyway, I can't honestly ever remember hearing of a bona fide stress interview going on here, at least purposely.

Hey guys just found this thread. I've been accepted at Syracuse and St Louis University and am trying to decide which school to attend. SLU is way more expensive. Any thoughts?

Hey guys
Did anyone go to the 2nd look day?? How was it??

my status page just switched to decision made. and now i have started the anxious wait...so i have to ask if anyone has heard any news at all this week? i am particularly interested after having read that one post about SUNY Upstate only interviewing for waitlist positions now (which i only half-heartedly believe)

my status page just switched to decision made. and now i have started the anxious wait...so i have to ask if anyone has heard any news at all this week? i am particularly interested after having read that one post about SUNY Upstate only interviewing for waitlist positions now (which i only half-heartedly believe)

Me too! I don't think I can sleep tonight. :(

after a day of packing up my apt for an impending move...i finally got up the courage to check my mailbox to find only one letter from upstate.

high priority alternate...yay! much better than what i had mentally prepared myself for over the last few days. no acceptances yet-but still hoping.

of course-now i will read everything on sdn about this hpa waitlist... i wonder if i know.

knio--best wishes! i wonder if we interviewed together...

I got a letter that I'm on the HPA list a few weeks ago

Oh well, hopefully I'll hear something good in May

good luck to everyone else on that HPA list

When can we check where we are on the list?

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I interviewed at SUNY upstate on feb 14. I didnt receive an acceptance for sure because they have mailed me the decision, so its either waitlist or rejection. I was surprised because both my faculty interview and student interview went really well, especially the faculty. My MCAT is 32 and 3.88 GPA. Is it because i am an international student or becasue i applied late? Is any1 here from my interview batch? Pray for me guys!! I really want to get in !!!!!

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I interviewed at SUNY upstate on feb 14. I didnt receive an acceptance for sure because they have mailed me the decision, so its either waitlist or rejection. I was surprised because both my faculty interview and student interview went really well, especially the faculty. My MCAT is 32 and 3.88 GPA. Is it because i am an international student or becasue i applied late? Is any1 here from my interview batch? Pray for me guys!! I really want to get in !!!!!

I really hope you get the High Priority alternate list. I am an international student also and got on the HPA list

Hey guys,

I am also international, as in Canadian and have an interview on Wed. (I know it's late, but when they called me on Jan. 2, that is all they had then). Anyways, I was wondering did they ask you questions like, why specifically do you want to come to a US school and why SUNY?? I'm guessing they did. Only one of my US interviews didn't What did you say???

I really hope you get the High Priority alternate list. I am an international student also and got on the HPA list

does anyone know if they stopped interviewing..or approx when they do stop?

Hey Oschemi,

When did u interview at SUNY? and what are ur stats (if u dont mind)? I am just anxious. I am a canadian PR but not a citizen yet.

Hey guys,

I am also international, as in Canadian and have an interview on Wed. (I know it's late, but when they called me on Jan. 2, that is all they had then). Anyways, I was wondering did they ask you questions like, why specifically do you want to come to a US school and why SUNY?? I'm guessing they did. Only one of my US interviews didn't What did you say???

yea they asked me that. i dont remember what exactly i said but i said something along the lines of studying there would open more doors for me (i.e. residency there or in canada), but I wanted to study at Upstate because it's very close to home (Toronto)...and then i got accepted

don't just say close to home (alhtouhg this worked for the other sdnr). look at the school online and detail things that you like and are reasons for wanting to attend. ie good tertiary hospital, trauma center, new peds hospital being built, friendly atmosphere of school and syracuse as well, good facilities (new area for simulated clinical training in year 1 and 2). the combination of some of these things along with being close to home would be good stuff. i am a citizen though so don't have an answer as to what i would say for wanting to study in america as opposed to canada.

Actually, being Canadian isn't a detractor at all, really. In my class (c/o 2009), we've got 5-10 Canadian students which, if you look at it in terms of how many actually applied, is quite a reasonable number. The admissions policy here is more to get the most qualified applicants rather than favor a particular group or nationality. If you do get asked about coming to the US for school, I think the most likely question will be about how you feel about leaving home for an extended period of time.

Thanks guys,

Your replies were helpful. I have been on a few US interviews, but my top choice is SUNY. So keep your fingers crossed for me.
Thanks,
:)

Thanks guys,

Your replies were helpful. I have been on a few US interviews, but my top choice is SUNY. So keep your fingers crossed for me.
Thanks,

just got HPA yesterday

the waitlist is ranked, correct?

how do we check our rank if it is?

just got HPA yesterday

the waitlist is ranked, correct?

how do we check our rank if it is?
Applying late is a huge disadvantage.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Thanks,

Why is SUNYupstate your top choice US school?

Why is SUNYupstate your top choice US school?

Mainly because it is a good school with a good reputation, there are good research opportunities I heard, and it is in a nice, relatively safe city, and close to home ( 4 hours drive).

Did any of you interviewed on Feb 20? My status page changed to "decision made" on I think Thursday night, but I have yet to hear back from them. At this point, I assume it will either be a rejection or a waitlist since it looks like those with an acceptance usually get a phone call. Here is to hoping it is a HPA....