Technology Supermemo-like/flashcard program for Mac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCatHerder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am starting MS1 in a few weeks and I have recently discovered Supermemo. Unfortunatley, it seems to only run on PCs. I know Mac has iFlash and Genius for flashcard programs, but I am unsure if they use similar algorithims like Supermemo for interval training/spaced repetition system. Also I have seen anki and mnemosyne online but don't know much about them. Ideally I would like something that works well with a low learning curve and a good graphical user interface. Does anyone have an opinion about a good supermemo-like program for mac?

Members don't see this ad.

i use a program called "keep your word" to make my flashcards with on my mac.

I use iFlash- what's the problem? I've always liked it, but maybe I didn't realize I was missing out on a extra features!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with Mental Case I've used it for two years now and it hasn't steered me wrong. Plus if you have an iPad or iPhone it has a version that will sync with your desktop version so you can take it on the go. Make sure you get the student pricing of mental case if you can

Anki, definately

Native iphone app, osx app, and online.
Online syncing between these devices. Can review and make new cards anywhere online. Automagically tells you when you need to review stuff. Ive got the main proggie on my ***book, and when i can, review stuff on the ***pad or ***phone.

Would be nice if there was a native ipad app, until then, i just make a safari link on my springboard.

anki, definately

native iphone app, osx app, and online.
Online syncing between these devices. Can review and make new cards anywhere online. Automagically tells you when you need to review stuff. Ive got the main proggie on my ***book, and when i can, review stuff on the ***pad or ***phone.

Would be nice if there was a native ipad app, until then, i just make a safari link on my springboard.

+1

Anki, definately

Native iphone app, osx app, and online.

Mental Case has an iPad version as well as one for the mac and iPhone

It's a really great flash card app, I would never have gotten through preclinical years without it

I came to medical school from an engineering background. In engineering school, I never really had to memorize anything; I just had to solve problems. Medical school is quite different. There's nothing really conceptually difficult about it, but the sheer volume of information you're expected to be able to regurgitate on the exam can be staggering. Fortunately, I discovered spaced repetition software (SRS) early during my first year of medical school (2002), and I can't begin to say how much of a difference it made in my studies. It pretty much took me from struggling to get a B to almost straight A's. Of course, you get out of it what you put in. I made tens of thousands of flashcards over four years. Everything I needed to know for the test went into the system.

In 2002, I initially tried the father of all spaced-repetition systems, SuperMemo. It's great as a concept, but as a piece of software it's quite poor. I eventually settled on Palm Supermemo, which I used throughout medical school. Since then, Anki has come out, and I think it's the best system currently available.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have started using anki and it works great.

Thanks guys for this information. I am eager to download Anki and see what all the hype is about. I figure I am going to need something like this in my microbiology class this upcoming Fall semester. Would you all agree this would be perfect for a visual and kinesthetic learner like myself? :):xf: