Surgical Sales Rep Accepted into SGU, Wanting a Psych or Family Medicine Residency- is SGU Right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
as aprogdirector mentioned, I was questioning the tactics of applying to only 5 schools, and it appears all MD at that... It's less than the avg amount of schools applied to and by forgoing DO you made it even harder on yourself.

I know you think we're crapping on you but we're trying to save you from a dumb mistake. It's like you're about to take a girl we ALL KNOW has stds home from the bar and we're yelling at you to stop. We're not trying to make sure you die lonely, we're trying to save you a bunch of trouble you don't see coming because you're of a one track mind right now..

btw sb247, if we are ever in that situation, you have my permission to punch me in the face.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I can absolutely see the pharmaceutical rep in you. I'm sure you are/were great at your job, so I'd suggest you keep on doing it, because I don't think medicine matches your personality nearly as much as pharmaceutical sales does, and I meant this in the best way possible.

I can absolutely see the pharmaceutical rep in you. I'm sure you are/were great at your job, so I'd suggest you keep on doing it, because I don't think medicine matches your personality nearly as much as pharmaceutical sales does, and I meant this in the best way possible.

Really? Because I've never sold any pharmaceutical drugs. Read the thread and maybe you'd realize that jerk.

Thanks for trying to destroy a dream. I bet you're a negative Nancy in real life too. Too. As your worthless opinion means nothing to me. There are good people on here giving an honest guy ADVICE on getting accepted to a medical school. Not ripping him apart with backhanded insults about his job -- a job you didn't even read enough of the post to know what my job really is. What the hell is wrong with you. Who says this to someone that has a dream. You know my personality? I kind of seriously hate you and would really love it if you didn't post this. That's the pathetic thing about this forum, I bet people like you have actually stopped someone from being a GREAT doctor because they felt bullied on this forum. Too bad your opinion won't affect me.

Obviously it just sucks to read this & I'm reacting to you, but you won't affect me.

I don't understand how people have it in them to come on here and try to tell people they CANT do something, maybe because they can't do it themself? Idk why or what your problem is, but your single jab has made me decide to disappear from here. All the good good people & one a*shole is making me ditch this forum altogether.

But it'd be great if a moderator blocked you from posting on this thread.

You know my personality from a forum eh? You're quite the insightful internet troll

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your responses. Thxleave thank you for the links! Negative reviews across the board completely, and I expected this... to all that replied, not one person mentioned it would be a good idea- yet I've seen multiple posts about Carib schools being a good idea. Confused about this disconnect. .. Due to my MCAT being below average, everyone assumes I'm going to fail out and I understand that. I don't feel the same way because I know my own work ethic. But I really really appreciate the responses.

I'm open minded and I am extremely cautious of this decision. I secured my seat because I was accepted. I may or may not go.

Sb247, yes I did apply to 5 school with less than 500 on the MCAT- why not give it a shot? A lot of US schools say they are looking at a lot more than just MCAT scores right now.

Regarding residency placement, The SGU website states this,

"As part of their post-graduate training, medical students do a residency: additional training in a clinical setting such as a hospital or clinic. The majority of SGU medical graduates are US. citizens or permanent residents, and therefore seek residency training in the US. St. George’s University is the #1 provider of doctors into first year US residencies for the last five years combined with nearly 830 residencies in the US in 2016."

That isn't a lie.
So why such a negative review from everyone. Most surgeons I work with have told me "it doesn't matter where you go to school, do well on step 1 & you'll be great with the connections you have and will have in your 3rd & 4th year.." They all seem to know 1 or 2 people who have done it from a Caribbean school & I also work with an orthopedic surgeon who graduated from Ross in 2000......

If it is such a bad idea to go, I'm very confused as to why they have such a large number of their graduates placed into residencies .... I just don't understand the disconnect between what the forum says and what the facts say.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right. I want to become a doctor and I am 100% willing to decline this acceptance if I have to. I want to do my research before I decline though. They have students in residencies. The website has a giant list of all their grads and what they're specializing in. While supporting myself I had to take the MCAT, if I had all day everyday to study for it with zero other priorities, I garantee my score would be higher. I don't have that luxury unfortunately.

I am currently in zero debt and have saved up a nice amount of money.

Can anyone give me a good idea of what they would do in my shoes? Get a different job (a mindless one that doesn't require creativity so my brain isn't trying to go 100% on 2 different things?). Can anyone describe what they would truly do in this situation as a 30 year old who knows he belongs in the world of medicine...?

I really appreciate the responses and would love to hear from any Carib grads on the forum. I've talked to 12 grads so far and am basically trying to talk to as many of them as I can. My work ethic is very strong and my ability to learn is high! I obviously want to get into medical school ASAP because I'm older... But I'm willing to wait if this really is a terrible idea and a waste of time/money ... More importantly is the waste of time.

This forum has helped me a lot and has turned my thinking from "hey I'm gonna be a doctor!!" Over to---- "this may be a bad bad idea."
In the next four years, the number of students coming out of US schools will expand substantially. We're talking thousands more US grads fighting for the spots you're after. That does not bode well for your chances. Also keep in mind that those 830 do not reflect how many people didn't match or didn't make it to graduation- if you're taking in 1400 students and 830 go on to train, that isn't exactly fantastic, particularly when SGU's tuition is higher than any domestic school, DO or MD.

In the next four years, the number of students coming out of US schools will expand substantially. We're talking thousands more US grads fighting for the spots you're after. That does not bode well for your chances. Also keep in mind that those 830 do not reflect how many people didn't match or didn't make it to graduation- if you're taking in 1400 students and 830 go on to train, that isn't exactly fantastic, particularly when SGU's tuition is higher than any domestic school, DO or MD.

Mad jack, read the entire thread.

I've already declined the acceptance into SGU and am in a biochem class that I'm acing currently, to help me with my sciences MCAT score

Reactions: 1 user
Mad jack, read the entire thread.

I've already declined the acceptance into SGU and am in a biochem class that I'm acing currently, to help me with my sciences MCAT score
My bad, I'm on a bit of a limited timetable as of late and tend to not read threads in their entirety before responding. Best of luck to you.

Lets actually use numbers instead of vague, ominous fear mongering.

Right now, 6,500-7,000 IMGs match every year. Best estimates put that number at ~4,500 in 2024, a decrease of 2,000-2,500 over the next 8 years.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1511707?rss=searchAndBrowse&#t=article

>3,700 foreign citizen-IMGs match currently, and all the data shows that US-IMGs are still highly preferred over foreign-IMGs (other than top applicants from top foreign schools). It's therefore highly unlikely that the number of US-IMGs (i.e. caribbean grads) getting residency positions will significantly change over the next decade or so.

I agree that people should maximize their chances at USMD/DO schools before considering the caribbean, but that doesn't mean we can't be realistic when having the discussion.

Lets actually use numbers instead of vague, ominous fear mongering.

Right now, 6,500-7,000 IMGs match every year. Best estimates put that number at ~4,500 in 2024, a decrease of 2,000-2,500 over the next 8 years.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1511707?rss=searchAndBrowse&#t=article

>3,700 foreign citizen-IMGs match currently, and all the data shows that US-IMGs are still highly preferred over foreign-IMGs (other than top applicants from top foreign schools). It's therefore highly unlikely that the number of US-IMGs (i.e. caribbean grads) getting residency positions will significantly change over the next decade or so.

I agree that people should maximize their chances at USMD/DO schools before considering the caribbean, but that doesn't mean we can't be realistic when having the discussion.
I'm assuming that what is going to happen is the low tier FMGs will be pushed out first, followed by the US IMGs from no-name schools, followed by the Big 4s, followed by US IMGs and FMGs from big name, reputable schools overseas (Oxford and the like). So SGU is probably going to be the third group to take a hit, and that hit'll be within the next 5-10 years.

These posts are so interesting to read. They remind me of the guy who was president of the pre-med club at my undergrad years ago. He knew EVERY stat about EVERY medical school etc. Had lots of opinions on things med school related. Never got in anywhere. I used to always say that the only way he would ever get into medical school would be by donating his body as a cadaver.

Idk why or what your problem is, but your single jab has made me decide to disappear from here. All the good good people & one a*shole is making me ditch this forum altogether.

I think many of us have admired and appreciated your exuberance, truckboat. But, you're going to have to grow a much thicker skin if you're going to survive in this profession. That's friendly advice.

-Skip