This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confidentandgood

Bunburyin' it.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: problem solved!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to take 1 gap year, you will take the DAT the summer after graduation (or before) and apply that same summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
As each dental school has its own application deadline, if I took the DAT in July/August 2017, I would have to submit my application by, at the earliest, October/November 2017, correct?

Considering that, would it probably be a good idea to get my committee letter and LoR's this year? I mean, they wouldn't exactly be able to submit it anywhere...
Do not submit in Oct/Nov (or Sept or late Aug IMO).
I took my DAT mid July and had wished that I had taken it sooner.

Reactions: 2 users
That being said, should I take the DAT before applying for a committee letter?!

Make sure you check with your committee about this -- mine needed my DAT scores before they write my letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an e-mail back from the pre-health department; DAT scores are not required for the committee letter. But I'm guessing the general opinion is that I should take it this summer?

Does the DAT score have to be submitted with the AADSAS? In other words, if the rest of my application is submitted as soon as possible in June, can I send the respective schools my score afterwards?

Given that you have some extra time before you start your cycle, I would just try to take it within this next year when you think you will have the time to commit to studying. If you have a busy Fall schedule, maybe start studying over winter break and then take it during the spring semester, or vice versa. If you don't feel like you will be prepared to take it this summer, then don't.

You can technically submit the AADSAS prior to taking the DAT, but the schools won't look at it until your official scores are uploaded (usually 4-6 weeks post-DAT I believe).

Reactions: 1 user
You have time, you don't have to rush to take the DAT this summer. I would take it in winter. If you're not ready by then, push it back to sometime in spring, but my advice is definitely to not take it in July/August 2017, especially when you have so much time beforehand to take it. Taking it early will save you a lot of headache in terms of having time to retake should the need arise (which also requires 90 days in between tests) and simply less stress when the cycle opens.

During the next school year you should get your committee letter done (usually this includes getting recs, doing an app with multiple essay questions including one similar to a personal statement, and an interview). I'd also scan through the list of schools to make sure you have all your prereqs/shadowing done (every school is slightly different). If I were you, my plan would be to study casually in fall and hardcore for the entirety of winter break and to take it at the end of break. I'd then work on fine tuning your personal statement throughout spring while continuing whatever it is that you normally do (classes, extracurriculars, socializing with friends, etc). Graduate, read up on the application process and research schools in depth - it helps immensely to know your real (not predicted) DAT scores for this. By doing all this, you should be all set before the app even opens in June, and the earlier you apply, the better imo. Good luck!

I plan to review casually during the fall semester. However, I am currently signed up for 19 credits as well as research and a part-time job. I feel that if I reduce the load to 15 credits (three courses), I will have much more time to study for the DAT. I haven't found many threads on this, but from what I have reviewed, I infer that dental schools do not view this negatively (and if it comes up in an interview, I would just explain it). But I'm still not sure. Thoughts?
I took 13 and then 15 credits during senior year, you're fine.

Your post sounds much more plausible. After some extra consideration, I think I'm going to make study guides for the DAT subjects over the summer (so I can at least freshen my memory). I doubt chemistry will take long to review -- this subject has always clicked for me -- so I will be spending most of the time reviewing biology and calculus, and dabbling in PAT practice.

Then, come winter break, I would have a maximum of four weeks to prepare before taking the exam (should I schedule it at the end of break). This is when I plan to simply take practice tests, nothing else. I will have reviewed the material sufficiently.

I've pinpointed my most effective studying tactic over the past three years -- I work better when I learn the material gradually over time, and then review in a short period -- so I think this will ensure a good performance on the exam.

Here's where I need advice:

I plan to review casually during the fall semester. However, I am currently signed up for 19 credits as well as research and a part-time job. I feel that if I reduce the load to 15 credits (three courses), I will have much more time to study for the DAT. I haven't found many threads on this, but from what I have reviewed, I infer that dental schools do not view this negatively (and if it comes up in an interview, I would just explain it). But I'm still not sure. Thoughts?
I would schedule it at the end of break of if you really want to get some extra time, do it during the first couple days of school (which some people skip anyways due to those being syllabi/intro days for most classes). My friend did that and skipped the first half week of school before flying back into town, no biggie.

If taking 15 credits keeps you as a full time student, I see no reason for them to question you about it. If it makes you part time for that semester, then it may come up as a question, though I think it's still on the unlikely side. Perhaps ask a prehealth advisor their opinion on the matter if you're worried about it.

It's good that you know what study tactic works best for you. Just be objective and realistic about whether you can take a heavy load and do well or whether you're able to explain yourself coherently at an interview should the question arise. Ultimately, you know yourself best.