TCOM only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonascott

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in Aug. 1999 and unfortunately did very poorly. I was lucky to get an interview at my first choice school at TCOM and got placed on the Wait List for the 2000 entering class, but I still came short of getting in. I retook the MCAT this past Aug. but I still won't get the results until mid-Oct. I am not sure whether to apply to more schools since I don't know how well I did on this years test.
Also, since Tx has only one DO school I wasn't sure whether to apply to more DO schools out of state. I am worried about the out-of state issue. I know many schools prefer in-state residents. I have definitely re-applied to TCOM and I am still hoping to get in for the 2001 entering class. Although I have studied and studied for the past MCAT, I am afraid I stil did poorly. I have my fingers crossed for a beter score
smile.gif
Please let me know what your opinion is on where to apply to out-of-state with a questionable MCAT score. Here's some more info on myself:My overall GPA is 3.34 and my science GPA is 3.1. I have 3 years of nursing experience. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

tonascott,

In a word: tenacity.

How bad do you want to get in? Basically, what admissions committees also look at is your willingness to re-apply, even if you didn't get in the first time.

So, while I'm not saying you're out of the game yet, I am saying that your (dream?) of becoming a doc is still viable--if you want it bad enough.

I had a good friend with good scores, etc., but it took her two tries, and she will graduate in June of 2001.

I also know of another fellow who was a cop, it took him FOUR TRIES (yes, four years!) of trying before he was admitted! He simply would not give up, and the admissions committee relented because he told them to expect him every year until he was admitted (or dead from old age?). He just graduated last year from my alma mater.

Medicine is tough; being "bright" helps, but there is a lot to be said about grit.

Hope that helps!

Scott Helf, D.O.