Temple interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcidETCH

UPENN SDM '07
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a couple of days since my interview at Temple. I had some time to think about what the school has to offer and I've come up with a few conclusions.

First, Temple has a philiosophy that I haven't seen with other schools. Their mission statement is clearly exhibited through Mark's metaphors as he guided us through the information session of the day. To be there and to listen to the things he was saying was truely inspiring. The best thing of all is that they are comfortable with what the school has to offer and does not try to pitch a sales tactic, something that I liked a lot. It's a quiet confidence that is exhibited by everyone that I've excountered, something which I find appealing and impressed with.

Secondly, Temple is not for everyone. The school is located in central North Philly where security is a concern. Temple does however have one of the safest campuses in the states. Surely, a question of concern is: Who will commute with me if I stay at the labs until 10pm? Ofcourse there's campus security who are willing to excort you to bus stations/subway stations, but you still need to walk in the dark at some point from the school to your home.

Lastly, the education that you will receive at Temple is certainly one of the best in terms of clinical experience. I was blown away by the amount of dental procedures that the senior students had already performed. It'll sure be difficult not to accept if I am given that opportunity.

Please feel free to talk about your experiences, I would like to know what the differences/similarities are.

AE

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like the interview went well. About stayin in lab till 10PM....it doesn't happen, or at least shouldn't. You are given time to work there and the school and labs are always open on the weekends. At night the place looks like a lite up football stadium! You would think it is daytime if you left school at 8PM for some reason. Security is always in sight so please don't get hung up on the security issue. Be smart and don't act like an idiot and you will have a trouble free 4 year experience. I have talked to people at Penn and they have yet to go work in lab as 1st years. ....I have waxed up 15 teeth and we are already doing acrylics and composites in restorative. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks here.....Good luck.
T2006

Can someone please tell me a little bit about Temple interview. I know that it's a panel interview. But is it a blind interview or not?
Do interviewers get to read your files before hand.
Also, the letter says that it starts at 8am and end at 2:30pm. Does it really end at 2:30? And how long does it take to get to the airport from the campus after the interview (I'm talking about rush hour traffic on the Monday 11/25 right before thanksgiving)
Thanks very much
Tink

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview consisted of 2 questions which everyone had to answer. The first question was: Describe yourself and why did you choose dentistry and why Temple?
The second question was: What activities have you particitpated that requires the use of your hands?

That's it. The rest of the alloted time was us applicants asking the interviewer questions. It's not that bad, considering you have the whole morning to try to get to know the other applicants.

Yes, it does end around 2:30pm in the afternoon. After all the interviews are done, Mark will take the applicants back to the conference room to discuss the neighbourhood which Temple is located in. He gives info on security, housing, etc.

Hope that helps, and best of luck at the interview.

AE

I had different questions at my interview. They asked why I would want to move up north, what I would bring to the school and what part I played in my friendships, and what I would do to convince a patient to have procedures done that would save their original teeth rather than pulling them. It was really laid back and most of the time was just spent in conversation asking questions. I don't think it was open because they never asked me about anything in particular on my application.