This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have interviews this weekend, have you received an email yet with a zoom link? My interview is Friday (1/21) and I'm OOS. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone who already interviewed, any tips or advice? Did they ask any particularly hard questions? This is only my second interview and I’m a nervous wreck!
 
Anyone who already interviewed, any tips or advice? Did they ask any particularly hard questions? This is only my second interview and I’m a nervous wreck!
I feel like an expert at interviewing with Tennessee now lol, I’ve done it multiple times. They keep it conversational and aim to be low stress. They will each ask you questions about you, your goals, situational type questions, ethical type questions, etc. They do not have your academic stats in front of them. They may ask common interview questions or they may throw some curveballs in.... Nothing crazy but I've been asked some unique questions that even my mentors and professors who had participated as interviewers said they hadn't heard before. In general, think of it like a conversation with people you respect and who you have a short window of time to show them the best of yourself but DON'T BS any answers or try to make something up. They see right through that, lol. You will be FINE.
 
Should I send thank you notes to my interviewers? I always thought it was customary but a couple schools I interviewed with specifically said not to send thank you notes. I don’t think UT said anything about it.
 
Should I send thank you notes to my interviewers? I always thought it was customary but a couple schools I interviewed with specifically said not to send thank you notes. I don’t think UT said anything about it.
We don't have a policy/expectation either way! It won't affect/bias anything since we try to submit scores right away (perhaps that's something other schools are concerned about?). So if you want to send them you can!
 
It usually takes at least a month, if not longer. Last year IS students heard back around mid-February and OOS beginning of March.
IS have already heard back though? They sent out IS decisions 11/29 unless they send more than one wave? That’s when I got my acceptance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It usually takes at least a month, if not longer. Last year IS students heard back around mid-February and OOS beginning of March.
Yep the last 2 years they’ve sent IS and OOS separately. It was about 5 weeks after interviews that decisions went out. Probably about the same for OOS!
 
@WildZoo do you know if, for accepted students, the classes taken in fall 2021 and spring 2022 ALL have to be Cs or better or only prereq classes? Genuinely asking for a friend lol she was accepted but got a D in a non pre req course in the fall and is stressing. Also another accepted male student made all Cs in the fall all their GPA dropped significantly from the gpa that got him in….. they won’t take back his acceptance will they?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@WildZoo do you know if, for accepted students, the classes taken in fall 2021 and spring 2022 ALL have to be Cs or better or only prereq classes? Genuinely asking for a friend lol she was accepted but got a D in a non pre req course in the fall and is stressing. Also another accepted male student made all Cs in the fall all their GPA dropped significantly from the gpa that got him in….. they won’t take back his acceptance will they?
I failed a non-prereq class after I was accepted (boy that senioritis hit hard) and they didn't care. I'm pretty sure my GPA also dropped from a couple other classes. As long as they passed all their prereqs, I've never heard of someone getting an acceptance rescinded.
 
I failed a non-prereq class after I was accepted (boy that senioritis hit hard) and they didn't care. I'm pretty sure my GPA also dropped from a couple other classes. As long as they passed all their prereqs, I've never heard of someone getting an acceptance rescinded.
Okay, thank you! If a pre req is not passed with the required grade will they allow a retake before they’ll rescind? Like over the summer or something
 
Okay, thank you! If a pre req is not passed with the required grade will they allow a retake before they’ll rescind? Like over the summer or something
I'm not sure. I imagine they would, like that would be most in line with how UT tends to handle things, but that's something you'd have to check with them about.
 
Anyone have any idea when OOS might hear back? My interview committee told me hopefully a month after my interview, which would be the end of next week.
 
Anyone have any idea when OOS might hear back? My interview committee told me hopefully a month after my interview, which would be the end of next week.
I'm fairly certain all oos are notified March 1.
 
Hi guys, I am a first year at UTCVM and I just wanted to make myself available to anyone who has any questions about UT or wants to discuss anything about preparing for veterinary school. Congrats to those accepted and waitlisted this is a major accomplishment!!
Hello! I was recently admitted to UTCVM. I have started looking into housing in Knoxville & was wondering if you had any suggestions or recommendations for apartments/houses to rent. Thank you!
 
Do we know if loan information/fin aid is available before April 15?
Hey there! You can call Ms. Shepherd to check if anything has changed, but basically everyone gets the same federal loan offering amount which covers cost of attendance (tuition plus expenses), but you can adjust how much you want to receive. As a general rule, they do not offer substantial scholarships or aid other than those loans to incoming students. You can apply for opportunities once you start.
 
Hello! I was recently admitted to UTCVM. I have started looking into housing in Knoxville & was wondering if you had any suggestions or recommendations for apartments/houses to rent. Thank you!
I rented from Papermill Square for a year, but personally did not like it. There are lots of houses that are rented specifically out to veterinary students, so if you're hoping to save money on rent and move in with some of your classmates, then that is definitely an option.

I'd stay out of East Knoxville for the most part. West Knox is probably the nicest area, but it can be pricy. If you can find something reasonable in Sequoyah Hills (these are all niches in Knoxville), then I'd love to live there. South and North Knox are good in between places that many students live in, and I'd stay away from the undergrad's party central, which is called Fort Sanders (near campus).
 
Hello! I was recently admitted to UTCVM. I have started looking into housing in Knoxville & was wondering if you had any suggestions or recommendations for apartments/houses to rent. Thank you!

I've lived in The Canyon in North Knox, The Henley in South Knox, and Bell Walkers Crossing in West Knox. Didn't really have issues with any of them! The Henley was nice because it was so close to campus and downtown, but on football Saturdays the traffic patterns in that area get a bit wonky so that's something to consider. We left because there was a 2 pet limit and we wanted a slightly bigger space and to be able to get a dog (already had two cats at the time). Otherwise would have been fine staying there! The one bedroom apartments at The Canyon are actually a pretty nice size for the price (or at least what it was 4-5 years ago...I'm sure it's gone up like everything else). I also had friends who lived in The Woodlands and like it there. If you're looking for somewhere more "on campus" where you can walk to the vet school and don't mind spending the money, The Social is a nice spot.

Honestly a lot of the apartments are owned by the same company so you're going to have a similar experience. I'd echo what was already said about staying away from East Knox and Fort Sanders.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad