Texas A&M Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry. Once they told you, especially in WORDS, it means they are allowed to do it. I am sure You r not the only one who knows the rank.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to send in my declination for the class of 2018 for College Station. I'd think that because this year is a bit different, with 33 students being placed in College Station, that there will be more declination's than usual.
I actually thought there were would be fewer declined seats since we have a more desirable campus option this year. If I'd had the choice to go to CS, I wouldn't have blinked before signing the papers. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
In fact, so far nobody in Kingsville declines their spot, but CS does.;);)

Members don't see this ad :)
In fact, so far nobody in Kingsville declines their spot, but CS does.;);)

I just emailed the school to let them know that I don't want my (College Station) spot so there is going to be at least one more open spot for y'all!

I actually thought there were would be fewer declined seats since we have a more desirable campus option this year. If I'd had the choice to go to CS, I wouldn't have blinked before signing the papers. ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking! Between the option of Kingsville or College Station (for lack of a better term, the "real" A&M campus), why would anyone choose Kingsville? I thought everyone was going to choose CS, and a few of the people I met at interviews also chose CS.

But I thought about it some more, and of course Kingsville has the actual pharmacy building (which is actually quite nice and new), access to faculty, students from other years, and CS will likely have more distant lectures and less contact with faculty and other students. You win some, you lose some I guess.

I know a lot of people, including myself, would find the option of College Station attractive. Though there's also the aspect that it's the first time doing this so it is unknown territory; i.e. Don't know what to expect, online classes, etc.

;)
That's exactly what I was thinking! Between the option of Kingsville or College Station (for lack of a better term, the "real" A&M campus), why would anyone choose Kingsville? I thought everyone was going to choose CS, and a few of the people I met at interviews also chose CS.

But I thought about it some more, and of course Kingsville has the actual pharmacy building (which is actually quite nice and new), access to faculty, students from other years, and CS will likely have more distant lectures and less contact with faculty and other students. You win some, you lose some I guess.
I agree. I would have liked to live in college station since it would have clearly been a better area, but I felt the course work was going to be challenging enough, much less to be doing it via distance learning. Face to face contact trumps all in my opinion. So for this reason that is why I chose kingsville and I'm happy with my choice.

Well according to the numbers when I asked where I was on the wait list, the wait list was longer for College station than for kingsville. They told me I was 47 on the kingsville wait list and number 92 overall( kingsville and college station). So I think I just need 47 to decline lol

Don't worry. Once they told you, especially in WORDS, it means they are allowed to do it. I am sure You r not the only one who knows the rank.
It was just weird that someone else had asked and they had told them that they were not allowed to release that information/: so that's why I'm a little worried. Unless too many people have asked so they decided to stop telling? Who knows:arghh:

Just b/c they did not email Dr Sawyer. Do not ask around. Just email. I do not think Dr Sawyer did sth beyond his reach. And you are not requested to keep silent so you will be fine. Just cross the fingers.

Well according to the numbers when I asked where I was on the wait list, the wait list was longer for College station than for kingsville. They told me I was 47 on the kingsville wait list and number 92 overall( kingsville and college station). So I think I just need 47 to decline lol
Why do you think CS has longer waitlist?:):)

I don't want to email and ask where I am on the wait list... that just makes things more anxious for me. *anxiety attack*

Why do you think CS has longer waitlist?:):)
Just the way Dr. Sawyer stated it in the email, unless I'm reading it wrong. I got kind of confused when I read it a second time o_O He said I was 47 on kingsville wait list and 92 overall(which is kingsville and college station) so idk if you can clear that up for me? I'm assuming the 92 is to get into college station or into any school but it doesn't really make sense if I'm also number 47:boom:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't forget, A&M invited 300 interviewees. 125 are selected for both CS and K. So 175 are put in the waitlist. And you are 92/175. But because you select Kingsville and you rank 47 here. We don't know how many waitlist in each location .

If I don't forget, A&M invited 300 interviewees. 125 are selected for both CS and K. So 175 are put in the waitlist. And you are 92/175. But because you select Kingsville and you rank 47 here. We don't know how many waitlist in each location .
So does that mean I have a better shot in kingsville?

Also, isn't the 120 split? 87 go to kingsville and 33 to college station?

Also, isn't the 125 split? 87 go to kingsville and 33 to college station?
I don't know the exact numbers, but that sounds about right to me. The CS group is small as it's the first cohort.

My main question for the CS group: how will pharmacy orgs work up there? Do we get a new, separate chapter of each one? It would be interesting to have chapters of Phi Delta Chi, Kappa Psi, etc, under the A&M name, 2 SSHP or APhA chapters, yada yada yada.

I don't know the exact numbers, but that sounds about right to me. The CS group is small as it's the first cohort.

My main question for the CS group: how will pharmacy orgs work up there? Do we get a new, separate chapter of each one? It would be interesting to have chapters of Phi Delta Chi, Kappa Psi, etc, under the A&M name, 2 SSHP or APhA chapters, yada yada yada.
At this point I just want to get into one lol waiting just sucks :arghh::bang:

I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice so I can release my spot at Kingsville but I already mailed back my acceptance card. I won't pay the $500 until the deadline, March 3 unless I hear back from The University of Maryland, Baltimore before then. Those on the wait list are in my prayers. Stay Positive!!!

That's exactly what I'm concerning about. WE are all P1 students in CS, so how pharmacy Orgs will work out there? Therefore, I think it will better for me to go to Kingsville.

That's exactly what I'm concerning about. WE are all P1 students in CS, so how pharmacy Orgs will work out there? Therefore, I think it will better for me to go to Kingsville.

Sounds like a great opportunity for students to step forward as leaders in establishing new organizations and opportunities. ;)

I actually e-mailed Dr. Sawyer yesterday asking for my rank and he said he couldn't give that information to me and he didn't know that he wasn't allowed to do that so he did give the first3 people who asked their ranks but now he knows so he's not going to do that anymore. I was a little late =(

I actually e-mailed Dr. Sawyer yesterday asking for my rank and he said he couldn't give that information to me and he didn't know that he wasn't allowed to do that so he did give the first3 people who asked their ranks but now he knows so he's not going to do that anymore. I was a little late =(

That's exactly what happened to me. I also emailed him yesterday and he said he didn't know it was against policy for giving out ranks and he accidentally did for the first 3 students but he can't do that now.

I'm just wondering if they have sent out any acceptance calls after the first batch of students...or would they be doing that every 2 weeks after students have declined? I wonder how it was last year...

After doing some lurking lol, it seems like it is about two weeks so the other students have time to decide and send in all of their stuff. It also looked like the second batch will get calls instead. So maybe sometime next week? This is what someone from last year said:
When I called today, they said a second batch would be going out in two weeks depending on
The # of seats available?

On a side note, I finally did my fafsa yesterday:) Also, does anyone know whether people on the wait list should start doing their vaccinations just in case and which vaccinations are needed?

After doing some lurking lol, it seems like it is about two weeks so the other students have time to decide and send in all of their stuff. It also looked like the second batch will get calls instead. So maybe sometime next week? This is what someone from last year said:
When I called today, they said a second batch would be going out in two weeks depending on
The # of seats available?
I called yesterday and they told me that offers would be sent out next week

Reactions: 1 users
I called yesterday and they told me that offers would be sent out next week
Thanks for calling! That's exciting for everyone else :) I probably won't hear anything for a while since I'm pretty far down the wait list.

Thanks for calling! That's exciting for everyone else :) I probably won't hear anything for a while since I'm pretty far down the wait list.
Be positive :) you never know how many declined as of now!

I called yesterday and was told they couldn't disclose WL position but then again i didn't talk to Dr. Sawyer i was told next week more offers go out and a 120 offers have been sent so far but i believe at half will be declined people of people wanting to go to UT, TT, or UH

I called yesterday and was told they couldn't disclose WL position but then again i didn't talk to Dr. Sawyer i was told next week more offers go out and a 120 offers have been sent so far but i believe at half will be declined people of people wanting to go to UT, TT, or UH
I don't think so many will give up their spots. 30 is the maximum.

This question is old, but it is a dilemma for years. TECH vs A&M. I would like to listen to you guy ideas. Which one will be a better option? Pls don't mention the tuition because the difference is small.

I hope half will deny because that would give me a shot in hearing next week :p I think 30 max this round of acceptances, but I think there will be more declines throughout the summer.

I got into my top choice school so I have given up my spot here. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist.

I don't think so many will give up their spots. 30 is the maximum.
This question is old, but it is a dilemma for years. TECH vs A&M. I would like to listen to you guy ideas. Which one will be a better option? Pls don't mention the tuition because the difference is small.

well first only 30ish spots are in CS the other 90ish are in Kingsville

honestly if you are not from the near Kingsville area i have no clue why on earth you would ever pick it when you have the choice of Austin, Houston, or any other college town/city

I believe of the first 120 spots around 60 will not take them then of the 60 they send out 20-30 will not take then of those 20-30 seats left most will probably take

so out of about 300 interviews 200-210 people will be given offers with 120 taking and 80-90 declining

keep in mind
UT takes 125 people
TT takes 155
UH takes about 120 (couldnt find an exact #)
UNT about 120 (couldnt find an exact #)
UIW about 120 (couldnt find an exact #)
TSU about 120 (couldnt find an exact #)

now the CS spots at A&M will be very competitive but majority of people wouldn't take Kingsville if they had Austin, SA, Houston, Dallas, or TT campus as a choice.

But in TECH vs A&M its almost all location

unless your family is near Kingsville or you really want to live secluded you would probably be happier else where

Last edited:
If your arguments are supported by evidence, I really feel sorry for A&M in Kingsville. I never think the number of the decliners is as dramatically high. Because I know nothing about A&M, I cannot defend for it. Anyone has any ideas?:)

If your arguments are supported by evidence, I really feel sorry for A&M in Kingsville. I never think the number of the decliners is as dramatically high. Because I know nothing about A&M, I cannot defend for it. Anyone has any ideas?:)

if you ever go to Kingsville A&M campus its scary everything looks old and pretty ghetto but then you hit the edge of Kingsville and then you have a pretty nice campus

Well from what the P3s said, they were pretty bummed out that Kingsville is a small town... but they got over it fast. Because for one thing, you're with your class and you're bound to do something fun/ridiculous. Also said, they went out to Corpus for the "good" bars and even South Padre. Also to add, for incoming P1s, getting an apartment at the J-whatver it is called would be a great experience in meeting new people (P1s, undergrads, etc). Apparently that's the apartment complex that gets buck wild with crappy wi-fi. But anyways, it is a lifestyle change but your 'experience' also depends on what you and your pals want to do!

I've been accepted to Feik but the tuition makes me cringe. So I really hope I get hear from them next week!

I understand that going to College Station seems awesome, though I really feel the cons outweigh the pros. The only pro I see is being in College Station and being a legacy alumni of the first class going there. And the latter pro is also a con because there will be a lot of pressure to form/start/be active in organizations stemming from this new part of the COP. And the most significant cons, to me, is that the class of students is only 33, there aren't any upperclassmen in person to relate to, most of the faculty is abroad, and a lot of classes will be taught via internet. There's bound to be hiccups technically and organizationally the first year. I don't mean to be such a Debbie Downer and discourage those accepting admission to College Station, just saying how I personally feel.

Can anyone provide some info of A&M facilities. They did not give us a chance for a real tour.

Just the way Dr. Sawyer stated it in the email, unless I'm reading it wrong. I got kind of confused when I read it a second time o_O He said I was 47 on kingsville wait list and 92 overall(which is kingsville and college station) so idk if you can clear that up for me? I'm assuming the 92 is to get into college station or into any school but it doesn't really make sense if I'm also number 47:boom:
here is the m
Can anyone provide some info of A&M facilities. They did not give us a chance for a real tour.

I went to visit the campus last spring break and they have a really nice compounding lab on the second or third floor and they get you started in it right away as a P1 student. There are several areas for students to access for private studying. each student gets their own mailbox that they can choose to have mail sent to down in the main lobby. It may seem like a small building but it is very organized and contains more than a generous amount of things for the students. Additionally, the faculty and staff are so nice and helpful.

here is the m

I went to visit the campus last spring break and they have a really nice compounding lab on the second or third floor and they get you started in it right away as a P1 student. There are several areas for students to access for private studying. each student gets their own mailbox that they can choose to have mail sent to down in the main lobby. It may seem like a small building but it is very organized and contains more than a generous amount of things for the students. Additionally, the faculty and staff are so nice and helpful.

I second this, I guess our group was lucky and actually got to tour since we were like the last to interview that day. The actual pharmacy school itself is nice, its across the street from the recreational center and still looks pretty nice and newer. You can always head to the beach near Corpus christi or south padre with a short drive if that's your thing.

Last edited:
I live in Corpus now

Its about 30-45 mins from the campus depending on where you want to go. Its not bad by any means but unless your a fisherman you will probably get board.

PS I believe Corpus is 2nd most obese city in TX so if you want to date or party might want to keep looking.

Sorry this is long! But I get tired of people of looking at the "bad" parts of attending TX A&M. Mind you I do not live in Kingsville, there are still things to do in the surrounding areas.

I'm a P3 and live in Corpus. It's only a 40 minute drive max to the Kingsville campus, but I take the small roads through Chapman Ranch so there is absolutely no traffic. And to be honest I do like Corpus. I am originally from San Antonio and do miss it because the majority of my family lives there. But I am always one to look for the positive in any situation. It makes life much more fun.

I try my best to find fun things to do around here but I do admit it's mostly things to do with my kids. (I am married with 2 kids.) I take them to the art museums here, the museum of science & history, the library, the bookstores, the TX State Aquarium, Botanical Gardens, and to the USS Lexington (this is a WWII aircraft carrier located on the bay). The best beach to head to near Corpus is Malaquite Beach on Padre Island National Seashore. You have to pay 10 bucks per vehicle or you can buy the annual pass for $20, which is what we did because we do go a lot. This beach is much more isolated and relaxing there. Plus, you can drive pass Malaquite Beach until the road hits another beach. This beach (called Big Shell) is even more isolated and the further you drive the more rugged it is so it's best if you have a 4x4 if you want to drive out really far out there. You can drive out there and park on the beach and have yourself a little BBQ, do some fishing, and just relax. The beaches also offer an opportunity to go surfing, parasailing, kiteboarding, scuba diving, or a chance to check out the release of endangered baby Kempley Sea Turtles during nesting season.

Plus, there are various festivals that Corpus has throughout the year that we have attended.
They also, have events every first weekend of the month. It's still in it's early stages but it's getting better & better each month. The first Friday of the month they have ArtWalk which involves free admission to museums & art galleries around the area. Plus, some bars will have live music that are free to attend. Saturday is considered MusicWalk, which consist of live band performances in various locations throughout downtown starting in the afternoon until the evening. Then Sunday is Harbor Bridge Walk and Fitness Sunday at Heritage Park. This is early in the morning and you can actually walk across the Harbor Bridge here.

There is also a a minor league baseball team, CC Hooks and a minor league hockey team, CC IceRays. Those games are fun to attend. Also, there is a small waterpark here called Hurricane Alley and Schlitterbahn is set to open this coming summer. There are some cool restaurants to go to like Pier 99, Snoopys, or Docs. These are right off the water, so you can eat and have a few drinks & listen to some live music. American Bank Center, Old Concrete Street Amphitheater, and Brewster's have various concerts throughout the year.

There are also a lot of small little towns (Port Aransas, Rockport, etc) around here that have events throughout the year. Plus, there are various pharmacy organizations you can join on campus to keep you busy for 3 years. And believe me those years will fly by! I still can't believe I almost done with my 3rd year and will soon be packing up my family to move to Round Rock for clinical rotations.

So although this area may not offer what the bigger cities offer, you are by no means completely isolated from the world. You just have to make the best of the situation you are in.

Last edited:
On another note, I chose to attend TX A&M over TX Tech. Both are great schools but I chose A&M because it is closer to my family in San Antonio.

The professors here are more than willing to help you out in anyway possible. There have been several occasions in which I had to miss a test because of family/personal reasons and they were more than accommodating in letting me make up the exams. They want you to succeed but it is your responsibility to reach out to them for help when you need it.

Keep in mind you will be spending a lot of time studying so I wouldn't even worry about living in a "bland" town. Your purpose here is to get the most out of your pharmacy education here and have a positive impact on the community.

On another note, I chose to attend TX A&M over TX Tech. Both are great schools but I chose A&M because it is closer to my family in San Antonio.

The professors here are more than willing to help you out in anyway possible. There have been several occasions in which I had to miss a test because of family/personal reasons and they were more than accommodating in letting me make up the exams. They want you to succeed but it is your responsibility to reach out to them for help when you need it.

Keep in mind you will be spending a lot of time studying so I wouldn't even worry about living in a "bland" town. Your purpose here is to get the most out of your pharmacy education here and have a positive impact on the community.
You make me want to go to A&M even more:) You make awesome points and it's very true that you are there to be studying, not out partying or anything. That's why I did not see it as a big deal that it's a small town. If I want to do something while I'm out there I'll just drive to corpus or, if there is time, drive to san antonio to see family :) Now it's just waiting to hopefully get an acceptance letter:(

I have to agree with everything velvet 75 has said. I am a P2 who lives in Kingsville and has a family in San Antonio. I was accepted to UH and Incarnate Word, but chose Texas A&M not only because of the tuition rate but my interview experience as well. Everyone I spoke to on the day of my interview was extremely helpful and so nice. I do not regret my decision one bit!! :love:

I am a distance from my family, however this has contributed to my success in pharmacy school as I can concentrate on my studying and not get distracted by them or San Antonio itself. I miss San Antonio immensely, but the year goes by quickly! I can't believe I will be finishing my second year in a couple of months!! I have made life long friendships here and they have made the transition much easier for me. I love this school and everything the program hopes to achieve in South Texas. The people we serve in Kingsville and the surrounding communities are genuine and truly appreciate that we are here.

I honestly do not mind being in a "small" town and if I need to get away for a little bit, I make the short drive to Corpus Christi. Most things I need can be found in Kingsville and if I can't find it, it can be mailed to me or I get whatever I need on my next visit home. I am so busy studying and doing things with student organizations that I do not really "miss" the stuff found in big cities. I have come to value my sleep more than shopping...can't believe I just admitted that! o_O

Attachments

• upload_2014-3-2_4-24-40.png
    upload_2014-3-2_4-24-40.png
    95 bytes · Views: 89
    95 bytes · Views: 72
    95 bytes · Views: 62