Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by bunnyslippers, Dec 19, 2008.

1. bunnyslippers

bunnyslippers Purdue SVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Since I just spent over $600 (yikes!) on last minute plane tickets out to College Station for my interview on the 5th, I figured I might as well start an A&M thread! Hope they like me. :xf:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HopefulAg

HopefulAg Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Hope they like me too. I sure like them lol.

Good luck on your interview. I know you'll stress anyways (doesn't everyone?) but really best advice I can give is not to. There's no reason to stress. I've had an interview with A&M twice now and both times it was very informal (dress nice, though) and they just asked me questions about my life and what I wanted to do. Never got a single question about 'who's the state senator' or 'who is X person' or anything like that.

4. 4paws

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey HopefulAG, did you notice what female applicants wore to their interviews? I read somewhere that a&m viewed skirt suits as "unprofessional".

5. bunnyslippers

bunnyslippers Purdue SVM Class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    On the subject of A&M's views on professional dress... I heard somewhere that vet students there have to dress in business casual for lectures. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? I am a jeans, t-shirt, and flip flop junkie so I'm hoping I heard wrong!

#4 bunnyslippers, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  6. HopefulAg

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I don't know their stance on skirt suits and when I went (it was at 9 AM) I was the only one there. Last year both girls that came in had on pant suits though, and the female interviewers this year wore pant suits as well. However, last year one of the female interviewers wore a skirt suit so I guess it really depends on who you get.

No you heard right. They 'require' it for the first couple of weeks but eventually it degrades to a more casual dressing style. I'm not happy about it either but meh, do what you gotta do lol.

7. InfiniVet

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    For the interview it doesnt matter if its skirt/pants...just as long as its professional.

They are reeeaaallly trying hard to enforce the business casual everyday attire for vet students, but it is simply not reasonable. From 8-12 you have lecture, from 1-5 you get "nothing in modern chemistry will ever get that SMELL out" disgusting. Even after showering twice, plus fresh clothes, you still smell.

So you get the 1st year class giving it a college try for the first 2 weeks and then it goes out the window (as it should be imo!). As it draws near finals time everyone ends up wearing whatever was left on the bedroom floor last night.

They are however strict about no open toed shoes in every lab...so you could wear sandals in morning lecture, but you'll likely get out of the flip flop practice.

Its usually jeans & t shirt, then bring scrubs + lab coat + rubber boots in a plastic bag. Spare yourself the agony of laundry and get 3-4 pairs of scrubs, then wash them all 1xweek separate from normal laundry.

8. athane960

athane960 ISU class of 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Any of you who have already interviewed here this year have any information, advice, pointers? Just wondered . . my interview is next week and I keep on chekcing the interview feedback posts but they are from students who applied last cycle.

9. HopefulAg

10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Only advice I can think to give is to get there a bit early. A&M starts on the 20th so you might have a problem with the Medical Science Library (MSL) parking lot being full.

Doubt it, because the semester will have just started, but maybe we have a lot of over achievers lol.

Other than that, bring some money (or credit card, the machine accepts those) for parking (I think it's like, two dollars) and be yourself. It's a pretty laid back interview. I've had two interviews with them so far and they've never asked me about any specific issues relating to vet med or procedures or anything. In fact, I had to work them into the answers myself so that I could bring them up to talk about them lol.