Texas PT Schools Application 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview with Angelo State in a few weeks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything from UNT yet either and I have very good stats. (cGPA 3.896-applied late August) Has anyone called them to see when they expect all November invitation invites will be out?

You and me are in the same boat pruitt. I also applied late August. But it seems to me that many people got invitations last year like a week before the interview. And some got their's at the end of September. I'm thinking they look at them in order. So I dont think that they have gotten to yours and my application yet. Thats just what I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for the interview? I have mine Nov 1st in Odessa... Thanks in advance :)

Its prett laid back. You'll spend about 20 minutes with one faculty member and they will ask you some questions. Its very conversational, so don't stress about it. Other than that there's a 1 hour info session about the program and a tour given by some of the students.

I'm in the same boat as all of yal! But I turned in my app early June but added observation hours late August. From other interviews we usually got notices at most 2 weeks before the interview date so we should hear within the next two weeks hopefully!!
Has anyone heard from UTHSCSA? Or UTSW?!? Yet?!?

I emailed them last week about my app and they said they are still reviewing applications for this coming interview so stay confident!

I applied to UNT in late June, and one other person I know who got an interview for November applied in early June, so I'm sure docolema's right that they are just going through them chronologically.

When did your friend get the notice about the interview?

Talked to a 1st year at UTSW, she said they're having an interview next Friday November 1st. I'm surprised nobody on here got an interview yet. I wonder if their being on PTCAS now has raised the bar that much higher.

Hey guys, are there any prospective students applying to UTEP? I know applying to schools in Texas is a pain because there isn't a central application system, but I do encourage you guys to look into UTEP. I am a current student and hope to see some of you guys at the interviews! Good luck!

Are we gonna have a Studentdoctor.net forum meetup at UNT? :) I got an email today to call for an interview on 11/15. My app was submitted 9/26/13, just in case you were wondering.

Its prett laid back. You'll spend about 20 minutes with one faculty member and they will ask you some questions. Its very conversational, so don't stress about it. Other than that there's a 1 hour info session about the program and a tour given by some of the students.
Thank you! :) I haven't re-read through this thread to see if anyone has heard from University of St. Augustine but I did receive an interview there as well on the 22nd if anyone was asking about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we gonna have a Studentdoctor.net forum meetup at UNT? :) I got an email today to call for an interview on 11/15. My app was submitted 9/26/13, just in case you were wondering.

Congrats! Would you mind to share your stats (GPA, etc.)?

Congrats! Would you mind to share your stats (GPA, etc.)?
My overall GPA is okay. I believe I got my interviews because of my essay, letters of rec, and work/life experience.

My overall is 3.52, while my last 60 is around a 3.9, and my pre-req was 4.0. I'm an older guy/ nontrad (2007 - B.S. in Accounting). I am a therapy tech going on 4 years, while I completed my pre-reqs. I also took extra sciences like micro/genetics/o-chem. I thoroughly researched this career and others (physician assistant, DO/MD, and nursing), but decided PT was the best fit.

I hope you hear back! and best of luck to you!

I'm interviewing that day as well, are you doing the 8AM or 12:30 interview?

Hi! I am new to this thread, but I interviewed with Hardin-Simmons and UTMB in late September and found out that I was accepted to Hardin-Simmons like a week and a half later but have not heard back from UTMB. I was offered an interview at Texas Tech for October 4, but declined it because I had already heard back from Hardin-Simmons, and TTU was lower on my list. I have an interview at UTHSCSA this Friday (11/1) at 1pm and UNT on November 15 at 8am! I am also waiting to hear back from TWU and Texas State. When I talked to the people at UNT on Friday (10/25-the day I got the interview invite), they said there were still a lot of spots left for the November 15 interview date!! Has anyone heard anything about the interview process at UTHSCSA or UNT??

Hey island blondy, how and when did you find out about your UTHSCSA interview?

Oh ok thank you. And BTW you wont hear about Texas State until November 22+ and TWU we hear later on end of November or mid Decemeber

So I just received my rejection letter from TWU. It says I am receiving this letter because I did not meet the minimum requirements or the class has already been filled with more qualified applicants. Besides turning in all of the materials, what are the minimum requirements besides a last 60 hours GPA above 3.0? I know I met that requirement so I'm wondering if the class is already full? Best of luck to everyone!!

ajcp13,
It looks like your GRE is fine as long as it got sent to them. Did you check the prerequisite list? Also their website has specifics on who they will accept recommendations from. You may have been denied on a technicality. Also your cumulative GPA is 3.0 and their min is a 3.0. Some schools calculate it differently so you may not have a 3.0 according to TWU.

Reactions: 1 user
The class is not full. Only 10 of 100 spots have been filled. The rest will be chosen in November/December.

Thanks pruitt! I am sure it came down to a problem with the cGPA... I am definitely going to call and double check though. I have the pre-reqs covered and my references were from 2 PT's and a professor which falls under their requirements... I didn't expect to get in with my GPA, but I just would hate to be denied for not meeting minimum requirements when I actually did. I'd much rather not get in because they had a great class of other applicants!

Where else did you apply to?

Where else did you apply to?

I applied to a lot of schools (20+) because I know my stats are low, and I will seriously go anywhere that will allow me to follow my dream of being a PT. The Texas schools I applied to were...

TWU (first choice)
Texas State
USA in Austin
UTHSCSA
UT Southwest Medical in Dallas
UNT

I went to high school in Texas and that is where my family lives, but I completed my undergrad in CA. So I applied to the Texas schools, almost every CA school, a few in the Midwest (grew up there), and a few on the East coast that appeared to have slightly lighter admissions requirements.

So far, I've been rejected by UW Madison (low of Science GPA), Midwestern DG (low science GPA), and now TWU. Otherwise, I have been invited to an interview at GRU. Haven't heard from any others in terms of decisions, so its just a waiting game!

How exciting to get an interview! Congrats. Prepare for every question and you won't need luck!

I applied to a lot of schools (20+) because I know my stats are low, and I will seriously go anywhere that will allow me to follow my dream of being a PT. The Texas schools I applied to were...

TWU (first choice)
Texas State
USA in Austin
UTHSCSA
UNT

I went to high school in Texas and that is where my family lives, but I completed my undergrad in CA. So I applied to the Texas schools, almost every CA school, a few in the Midwest (grew up there), and a few on the East coast that appeared to have slightly lighter admissions requirements.

So far, I've been rejected by UW Madison (low of Science GPA), Midwestern DG (low science GPA), and now TWU. Otherwise, I have been invited to an interview at GRU. Haven't heard from any others in terms of decisions, so its just a waiting game!

-Were you rejected by UW Madison during this 2013-2014 cycle? I thought they didn't start reviewing apps until their Nov 1st deadline.

Just talk to UNT: invitations for 11/15 interview are still going out, not sure how long. They will keep extending invitations to interview (for February slot) until mid-January. I'm praying I can sneak into the 11/15 date :)

Thanks pruitt! I am sure it came down to a problem with the cGPA... I am definitely going to call and double check though. I have the pre-reqs covered and my references were from 2 PT's and a professor which falls under their requirements... I didn't expect to get in with my GPA, but I just would hate to be denied for not meeting minimum requirements when I actually did. I'd much rather not get in because they had a great class of other applicants!

Last year I had a different school (not TWU) reject me saying that I didn't meet the minimum qualifications, so I contacted them and it turned out they had made a mistake. That school ended up accepting me! So definitely give TWU a call and find out why you didn't qualify. They are usually very responsive and happy to talk to applicants.

TWU (first choice)
Texas State
USA in Austin
UTHSCSA
UNT

Did you apply to Arkansas State? Their deadline isn't until January or February, they offer instate tuition to Texas residents (if you still qualify), and they don't require rec letters so your rec people wouldn't have to worry about writing another one! I also think their numbers were as high as some of the others I applied to, so if your numbers aren't as high as you'd like, I would give them a shot :)
Goodluck!

-Were you rejected by UW Madison during this 2013-2014 cycle? I thought they didn't start reviewing apps until their Nov 1st deadline.

Yes it was for this cycle, I turned in my app on October 1st to meet other program deadlines. The reason I was given a decision so early is because my Science GPA was below the minimum requirements (totally didn't notice it on their website in time!)

Thank you island blondy! Great info! I also really appreciate that they don't take reference letters simply because I feel so bad hassling my references over and over for non-PTCAS apps.

And in case anyone was curious, I called TWU and they were very informative. The minimum that I did not meet was for Math/Science GPA. This also needs to be a minimum of a 3.0, and mine was a 2.94 (will hopefully improve after my 3 science classes this quarter and 3 more next semester). I had to take both biochem and o chem for my major so that was a killer for my science gpa.

They also said that for future reference, both the Math/Science and the Last 60 Hours GPA need to be above a 3.7 to be a competitive applicant. She suggested completing a master's in exercise physiology to increase my last 60 hours GPA. Hopefully I'll get into a program this cycle and won't have to resort to that!

Just got an interview today for Texas State, not sure if anyone's waiting to hear from them.

I also heard from some therapists at the hospital I work at that 9 people so far from UNT have failed the NPTE on their first try. I talked to a friend of mine who's currently a first year in the program and he told me that the faculty told the students that some people had failed, but wouldn't give them an exact number until everyone had gotten their results, some people just took it last week. I don't know if anyone else wanted to know, but it is definitely something I was interested in knowing. Hopefully they will tell us the pass rate at the interview so I wont have to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email today saying I didnt get accepted to UTSW, was expected though.

That's surprising with the stats you posted earlier, I can't imagine how competetive the class must have been this year. I suspect I'll be getting that email soon as well. When did you apply to UTSW?

I applied a little late because PTCAS took forever. I think i applied September 10th or so. And yes it said uncompetitive applicant. And yes it said they review all three

I also received a rejection email saying something about the 3 GPAs that they look at. I thought all three of my GPAs were decent. Welp that's my second rejection letter.

I received the same... Expected but disappointing nonetheless

When did everyone get this email? I still haven't heard anything from UTSW, good or bad, and I applied Early Decision with the first mailing.

When did everyone get this email? I still haven't heard anything from UTSW, good or bad, and I applied Early Decision with the first mailing.

5:48 pm (central time)

Wow, that's very specific, lol. Thank you for the info. Maybe I'll hear tomorrow.

Has anyone else pretty much given up on UNT sending out any more November interview invites?