Texas Tech 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was told that the 2/3 interviewees will hear back this week...has anyone heard anything today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my acceptance letter today in the mail. Be careful when you open the letter cause a bunch of confetti will come out. lol

Got my acceptance letter today in the mail. Be careful when you open the letter cause a bunch of confetti will come out. lol

Congratulations! Which campus are you going to?

1st and 2nd year at Amarillo. 3rd and 4th at Dallas. I have family in Dallas so I was happy. you?

That's cool. I'll be in Abilene for 4 yrs since it's closer to home.

Good luck this weekend to all of my fellow feb 3rd interviewees!! Hope ALL of us get in!!

Since the last scheduled round of interviews re scheduled for
March 2 in Amarillo and Abilene
March 9 in Amarillo and Abilene

when will it be the last week to hear back if someone gets invited to interview with Tech? or is it too late and all interview invites have already been sent out?

Since the last scheduled round of interviews re scheduled for
March 2 in Amarillo and Abilene
March 9 in Amarillo and Abilene

when will it be the last week to hear back if someone gets invited to interview with Tech? or is it too late and all interview invites have already been sent out?

that's what I want to know.....I would assume that this would've been the last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
just relax as they said, I called once to find out if there was anything missing on my application and they said they have everything, he looked at my stats and said i was competitive so I should just wait. 3 weeks later, i got an invite Feb 14 via email for an interview so do not despair. They had open slots for Feb 2, march 2 and march 9, I picked the 2nd

relax and be patience. no point in calling and bothering them when they are extremely busy going over applications.

There's also been an instance where people cancel their interviews at Tech because they got accepted elsewhere. So for those who are waiting, don't lose hope. You might even be called for interview last minute (like 1-2 days before even) as I seen it happen this past week. Good luck!

Oh no found out Valentine's Day. (I just don't go on SDN very often)

Thanks! :)
Having fun apartment hunting yet?

Fun hunting online, but I'll be traveling tomorrow to see them for myself with my mom. THAT should be interesting. Pictures don't compare to the real thing!

Everyone (meh only those that responded) pretty much like The Reserve, but I'm thinking of checking out Aspen Place, Bent Tree, and maybe Willow Crest.

How about you?

After our interview I went out and checked like about 6 or so apartments and I narrowed it down to:

The Grove ( which is good since they do a roommate match for you (and you only pay for your room so you don't have to worry if your roommate breaks lease), only problem is I hear it had a bad reputation, but there is supposedly a new management getting their act together so I am hoping that works out)

The Reserve ( I want the reserve but I don't have any roommates I know, so I am a bit cautious about that)

tell me how the other places go :) I plan on making another trip back there to recheck the apartments.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am a current P1 student in Amarillo.
Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted this far! Can't wait to meet you all next year! For those of you who haven't heard back about anything yet, keep your chin up and don't be discouraged!

If anyone has any questions about TTUHSC, Amarillo, pharmacy school, life in general, etc, then please feel free to shoot me a message.

Michelle Sterrett
Pharm.D. Candidate Class of 2015
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
School of Pharmacy- Amarillo Campus

I just got immunization email/ call! Ms. Robinson said this is good news! :D

I just got the email too! Does this mean after we submit our updated immunizations we will get the acceptance offer via email? How long will it take to receive the offer after we submit our updated immunizations? Any input from current students is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

They gave me my acceptance offer within 4 hours of me submitting my immunizations.

After our interview I went out and checked like about 6 or so apartments and I narrowed it down to:

The Grove ( which is good since they do a roommate match for you (and you only pay for your room so you don't have to worry if your roommate breaks lease), only problem is I hear it had a bad reputation, but there is supposedly a new management getting their act together so I am hoping that works out)

The Reserve ( I want the reserve but I don't have any roommates I know, so I am a bit cautious about that)

tell me how the other places go :) I plan on making another trip back there to recheck the apartments.

My advice on these 2 places... The Grove does have a bad reputation and they are ALWAYS changing their management. That's the problem is that there hasn't been one person in management stay more than 6 months at that complex because it's so bad. Yes they do have roommate matching, but I've had several friends get paired with someone they'd never associate with in real life. Think about it... you'll be a pharmacy student and will need roommates who understand that. I lived there my P1 year and all was good until the last month of my lease when a bad rainstorm came through and my ceiling started leaking. They relocated my brother and I to a hotel for an entire week to try and fix the problem. Next thing we know, we have 3 days to remove our things and find somewhere else to live. We were refunded the last month's rent, but not until 3 months later which didn't help us when trying to find an immediate place to live.
I personally don't have any experience living at The Reserve. I've actually heard great things from classmates and they've lived there for several years. The main issue with that place is that it is pretty expensive.

Hope that helps!

My advice on these 2 places... The Grove does have a bad reputation and they are ALWAYS changing their management. That's the problem is that there hasn't been one person in management stay more than 6 months at that complex because it's so bad. Yes they do have roommate matching, but I've had several friends get paired with someone they'd never associate with in real life. Think about it... you'll be a pharmacy student and will need roommates who understand that. I lived there my P1 year and all was good until the last month of my lease when a bad rainstorm came through and my ceiling started leaking. They relocated my brother and I to a hotel for an entire week to try and fix the problem. Next thing we know, we have 3 days to remove our things and find somewhere else to live. We were refunded the last month's rent, but not until 3 months later which didn't help us when trying to find an immediate place to live.
I personally don't have any experience living at The Reserve. I've actually heard great things from classmates and they've lived there for several years. The main issue with that place is that it is pretty expensive.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the advice!
What apartments would you recommend other than those two? ( where do you currently live?)

Just wondering, to those of you who interviewed on 2/3 or later, did your status on Merlin change? Congratulations to you.

I'm wishing that I hadn't sent in my immunizations earlier now :rolleyes:

Just wondering, to those of you who interviewed on 2/3 or later, did your status on Merlin change? Congratulations to you.

I'm wishing that I hadn't sent in my immunizations earlier now :rolleyes:
Thanks!!! And my status hasn't changed yet

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for the feedback! It really helps since I never got to stop by the place today.

Okay! Back from apartment hunting (probably will do more in the future), and these are the ones I had time to check out (because I woke up late and the whole family decided to come including the dogs...). Oh, and PLEASE don't quote me on safety ratings. These are my first-impressions of the apts, and these are usually a result of my gut feelings. I'll research the neighborhoods in more detail later on.

Willow Crest:
Close to I-20, but 8.2 miles from the school. They have other apartment complexes near them, but really scarce on residential homes. Safety-wise, I'd feel this was a 3 out of 5.
Management:
Management (secretary?) was really nice and helpful and gave us a tour of one of their available 1 bed/1 bath apartments. They took their time answering our questions and even gave us helpful resources on choosing electric companies and reviews on each neighborhood in Abilene. They mentioned they have a stricter background check than the surrounding apartments. If you're loud and obnoxious, they will take appropriate measures. :p
Interior Review:
They do focus more on a 1 bed/1 bath combo, so if you're worried that they might not have any by the time anyone moves, don't be. The room I was shown was 680 sq ft and had a spacious living room that merges the dining area as well.

Bent Tree Apartments:
Near of a lot of restaurants and shopping stores. 5.5 miles from the school. The apartment complex and condos are surrounded by residential homes and near a church, so, I felt the safety rating could be 4 out of 5. However, I couldn't help feeling perturbed seeing it right next to an electrical grid since I've never really lived near one.
Management:
Secretary was terrible and rude. Don't know where the manager was. Made us feel like they were in a hurry and didn't want to deal with us. Didn't get a tour of the apartments.
Interior Review:
None. They said they'll send me pictures, although, initially, they didn't even ask for my email until I mentioned it which leaves me to wonder if they really were going to send it to me.

Aspen Place:
2.5 miles close to the school. Surrounded by residential homes, I feel that this place gets a 5 out of 5 for safety. Near lots of restaurants and stores.
Management:
Nice, quiet people. Gave us a run-down on which students like me actually prefer.
Interior Review:
The apartment shown to us was 572 sq. ft. The living room and bedroom were adequately sized, but a lot smaller than Willow Crest. If you plan on just taking a mattress, couch, table, and maybe something to prop a 30" TV, then this place would suit you.

Village Oaks:
Village Oaks is also owned by the people who own Aspen Place. These are condos and offer only a 500 sq. ft 1 bed/1 bath living area. They're in the same general area - maybe less than a mile from Aspen Place - so they're still surrounded by residential homes and near lots of restaurants and stores.
Management:
Same people from Aspen Place.
Interior Review:
A LOT smaller than Aspen Place. Like I said, if you were only to take a mattress, couch, 2 small-sized tables, you're good to go. However, if you want to fit a desk in your bedroom, you're better off investing in a twin-sized bed or a convertible futon bed.

Hillcrest JJ:
Management:
Same people from Aspen Place.
Interior Review:
Didn't get to go see these, but they mentioned that these are the oldest of their apt complexes. Plus, you have to pay the gas bill which is not included in the rent.

After looking at these, I'm definitely looking into moving in Village Oaks. It's the smallest I've seen today, but I do prefer not hearing feet running above my head or falling down the stairs when I'm in a rush. Plus, I'm not too worried about leaving my sewing machine at home. :p

Hope you guys gleaned something from my experience! Although, I would advise everyone to go out and look for themselves and decide from their point of view. It'll take time away from your schedule, but you'll be glad you did.

Last edited:
I'm in there!! Where is the facebook link? I want to meet my classmates!! Class of 2016...we're going to ROCK!!

Thanks for the advice!
What apartments would you recommend other than those two? ( where do you currently live?)

You'll soon find out that you'll meet some really cool people who you get along with in class. At least, that's what we hope! :p I actually live with 2 other girls from my class, and we rented a house. Super cheap for $795 - 3 bed/2 bath about 10 minutes west of Abilene campus. If you've met some people you've interviewed with and would want to room with them, I'd definitely recommend that. If you want some time to adjust and live on your own for a bit, I know Mill Creek and Parkridge Place are good, cheap places for one bedroom. Parkridge Place gives you A LOT of square footage per apartment. Appliances aren't as updated, but we can't live like kings and queens just yet! :D Mill Creek is a little smaller, but plenty of space at a pretty decent price. From what I've been told by classmates, management is pretty decent at both places. The down side is that both complexes are about 15-20 minutes from campus, but it's hard to complain about that when you're not living in the big city anymore.

Oh! And The Residence is pretty nice as well. Sort of like The Reserve so it's a bit more pricey. But this complex is brand-spankin new. Only downside is that it's on the extreme north side of town and about 10-15 minutes to school.

Last edited:
You'll soon find out that you'll meet some really cool people who you get along with in class. At least, that's what we hope! :p I actually live with 2 other girls from my class, and we rented a house. Super cheap for $795 - 3 bed/2 bath about 10 minutes west of Abilene campus. If you've met some people you've interviewed with and would want to room with them, I'd definitely recommend that. If you want some time to adjust and live on your own for a bit, I know Mill Creek and Parkridge Place are good, cheap places for one bedroom. Parkridge Place gives you A LOT of square footage per apartment. Appliances aren't as updated, but we can't live like kings and queens just yet! :D Mill Creek is a little smaller, but plenty of space at a pretty decent price. From what I've been told by classmates, management is pretty decent at both places. The down side is that both complexes are about 15-20 minutes from campus, but it's hard to complain about that when you're not living in the big city anymore.

Oh! And The Residence is pretty nice as well. Sort of like The Reserve so it's a bit more pricey. But this complex is brand-spankin new. Only downside is that it's on the extreme north side of town and about 10-15 minutes to school.
:thumbup: Aaaww, wish I had heard of Mill Creek and Parkridge Place before we left :confused:

I got an email about the immunization this afternoon. But I won't be able to get them all done till March 9th. Will it be a trouble for me to get my acceptance letter ? Most of cheap clinics don't accept walk-in :((

How does the roommate match up work? I remember filling it out on the form at the interview.

Thanks!!! And my status hasn't changed yet

Thanks for the info! That's good to know. I sent in my immunization information a week and a half ago, so I won't be getting the request e-mail. Looks like I'll just have to wait until my Merlin page changes or I get the official acceptance e-mail/letter.

I got an email about the immunization this afternoon. But I won't be able to get them all done till March 9th. Will it be a trouble for me to get my acceptance letter ? Most of cheap clinics don't accept walk-in :((

Doesn't your school have a campus health center? That's where I went and they took care of me really fast. My titer results came in the next day. If not, I would try a family doctor or if you just need the bacterial meningitis shot, Walgreens does walk-ins ($120.00 no insurance).

I would get your immunization done asap. They can only hold your spot for so long before offering it to someone else. Good luck!

I'm working at Walgreens so I know the price very well. Menigitis is the only shot I've already done. But thanks for your advice. I will try health clinics at my school or the family doctor practice near my house.

Has anyone's status changed on merlin? I'm going to get my immunizations done tomorrow so I can get my offer!

Those of you who got accepted, do you mind posting your stats?
GPA:3.0
PCAT: 60
No pharmacy experience, Certified Pharmacy Tech though
Extensive leadership background
Interview: Felt great!

Last edited:
Has anyone's status changed on merlin? I'm going to get my immunizations done tomorrow so I can get my offer!

Mine did. It says: "Acceptance Pending Receipt of Letter/Seat Fee." I completed my immunizations about two weeks ago.

Those of you who got accepted, do you mind posting your stats?

GPA: 3.8
PCAT: 99
Interview: felt okay, though I was severely lacking sleep
Experience: 1 year community pharmacy clerk, 1.5 years hospital pharmacy volunteer

To those who are accepted, did you get assigned into the campus that you chose?