Texas Tech Pharmacy 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, it's not for everyone and should be useful for you. Some people end up getting an MBA after they graduate anyway.
It is useful for people who want to go into management, private practice, etc. I am told that some students have been able to have substantially higher salaries within the first 5 years (after graduation). I have a business management background, so that is part of why I looked at it.
Anything that can set you apart in getting the job you want, or even a residency, will help.
Another thing that Texas Tech pushes is interprofessional work. The MBA program will pair you with MD and Law students for multiple projects.
There are so many options for pharmacists in the future, this will help make you the right choice for a job. For example, a small group practice may need a pharmacist for frequent consultations, but also need a practice manager. They may not be able to afford both, full time, but could hire you at an increased salary to do both. (If that's your thing.) The possibilities are endless: industry, sales, insurance, hospital, regional retail management, etc.

That makes it better, right? Less people with your credentials when you graduate. As I mentioned, MBAs can get expensive, easily $20-30k. Mine will cost about $12k.
The reason it is cheaper/easier to do it now, is that you can incorporate some PharmD classes. We have 12 credits (6 classes), that we are already taking in the PharmD program, counted towards the MBA. Last summer there were 29 PharmD students in my class. Some were P2 and some of my P1 classmates will start the MBA next summer, so you would be with them (great way to start networking). About 20% of the class will get an MBA, but not everyone gets accepted to the MBA program, so more than 20% apply. -and not all of the PharmD students have an undergraduate degree either, so not everyone qualifies.

The course is designed to give you that knowledge. Most of my classmates don't have business experience. The accounting course won't teach you to be an accountant, but teach you to be able to read the reports, etc. You are introduced to project management, managed care, and statistics. It's designed to teach you the business side that a private pharmacist, or pharmacy manager, will need, but won't get in the pharmacy program.

Well, we did 9 credits this summer in about three weeks. However, I think they are changing the schedule next year. It is fast paced. Some assignments due everyday.
We had two half summer terms, but the second one was cut short due to Pharm and Med students going to orientation. Next summer they may have one term.

Of course you would be in Lubbock the first summer and your Pharm campus for the second summer. I would recommend starting the P0 summer, because the summer after your P2 year, you may want to do a rotation. If you start the MBA after the P1 year, then you will be taking MBA classes after your P2 year instead of doing a rotation.

Sorry for the long answer. Hope it helps.
Hi, just wanted to know what you did regarding housing in Lubbock. How did that work? Did you get a three month lease? Are the students who want to lease their apt short term over the summer and how do I find them? Got a recommendation for the MBA program beginning in June and I'm trying to get things setup soon.

Members don't see this ad.

During the interview, they give you a chance to switch it. You also get a chance to switch during P1 year although that means you will have to start your P2 summer which isn't ideal.

From what I heard, its not less/more competitive. There weren't a lot of people applying so I think pretty much everyone that applied and qualified (undergraduate degree) got in. I have a friend that got in with low GPA and no business experience so it's definitely not competitive. But if there is a lot of people this year and classes fill up, it may get harder.

Its about 12k extra.

Just know that this will take up your P2 summer. Many people work as pharmacy intern/research during P2 summer which is why I chose not to apply. If you are interested in the business side, go for it. If not, it might not be worth it.
Hi, just wanted to know what you did regarding housing in Lubbock. How did that work? Did you get a three month lease? Are the students who want to lease their apt short term over the summer and how do I find them? Got a recommendation for the MBA program beginning in June and I'm trying to get things setup soon.

Congrats everyone Accepted!! Is anyone on this form going to Amarillo?

Also, is anyone interested in doing the dual degree program (MBA-PharmD)?

I am going to amarillo, and I also applied to the dual degree program!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for a girl roommate in Amarillo. If anyone wants , you can inbox me .

Has anyone from the February interview dates received an admission offer?

YAY! Class of 2021, woot woot! Haha, do we have a facebook made for our class yet? Need roommates!

Anyone who is attending Amarillo and have applied to the dual degree program hear back yet? Im waiting for that the MBA part as I have already been accepted to SOP last October.
I plan on visiting Amarillo in 2 weeks from my home town! Pretty exited :)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who is attending Amarillo and have applied to the dual degree program hear back yet? Im waiting for that the MBA part as I have already been accepted to SOP last October.

P1 students who applied to the MBA program started getting interviews this week. It won't be long, if you haven't gotten yours yet. It kinda comes unexpectedly.

YAY! Class of 2021, woot woot! Haha, do we have a facebook made for our class yet? Need roommates!
The fb page is official through the school. It is waiting for student services approval right now. I am told that they will send out emails to people who were accepted. Should be in the next few weeks.

I knew someone who knew someone.... I actually live in Amarillo and decided to bring my camper down for the summer and sell it while I was down there. I wouldn't recommend this unless you can find someplace with shade for the camper, or your A/C won't be able to keep up.

Watch craigslist, they have tons of subleases as you get closer. Don't sweat summer housing in Lubbock, there will be plenty. You can even wait until a week before, if you need to. Raider's Pass is right across the freeway from the Rawls College of Business. People stayed all over town. Just find a place you like. If you have a car, nothing is far away, but know that TTU will charge you for a parking permit for the summer. You can try to sublease from someone on craigslist or you can go to the apartment complex directly. If a person's apartment is not subleased, they are on the hook for the rent, so sometimes you can negotiate a better deal on CL, but I know Raider's Pass will sublet apartments at the tenant's contract rate, not the current rates (that are usually higher).

Leases usually end before the Fall term in August, so you can pick up a sublease in June and must move out by August something, which is OK, because you will move at the end of July. BTW, a recommendation doesn't mean you will get a spot in the MBA program. There will be plenty of subleases, don't sweat it and don't sign anything before you are confirmed in the MBA program.

TTU PARKING: For those of you spending the summer in Lubbock, you will quickly learn that TTU and HSC are different schools. A TTU parking permit will do you no good in Amarillo or Abilene, at the SOP which is part of HSC. Some people took apartments in Lubbock that were close by and walked. You will also need to pay to park at the gym on campus (unless you have already bought a permit). There are pay stations in the parking lot. Also, my understanding is that the parking enforcement WILL NOT give tickets before 8am. I went to the 6:15am Cross Fit class and never had trouble with parking (but I had a permit too). The Cross Fit class was one of my favorite things during the summer. I think I paid about $85 for summer parking. During the summer, you can park in resident hall parking. There is a resident hall parking lot right near the front entrance of Rawls.

If you have a car, nothing is far away, but know that TTU will charge you for a parking permit for the summer.

TTU does have a bus service that you pay for in your fees. I think it goes to many of the student housing locations. Good option, if you want to avoid a parking fee.

How are apartment pricing in Amarillo?

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew someone who knew someone.... I actually live in Amarillo and decided to bring my camper down for the summer and sell it while I was down there. I wouldn't recommend this unless you can find someplace with shade for the camper, or your A/C won't be able to keep up.

Watch craigslist, they have tons of subleases as you get closer. Don't sweat summer housing in Lubbock, there will be plenty. You can even wait until a week before, if you need to. Raider's Pass is right across the freeway from the Rawls College of Business. People stayed all over town. Just find a place you like. If you have a car, nothing is far away, but know that TTU will charge you for a parking permit for the summer. You can try to sublease from someone on craigslist or you can go to the apartment complex directly. If a person's apartment is not subleased, they are on the hook for the rent, so sometimes you can negotiate a better deal on CL, but I know Raider's Pass will sublet apartments at the tenant's contract rate, not the current rates (that are usually higher).

Leases usually end before the Fall term in August, so you can pick up a sublease in June and must move out by August something, which is OK, because you will move at the end of July. BTW, a recommendation doesn't mean you will get a spot in the MBA program. There will be plenty of subleases, don't sweat it and don't sign anything before you are confirmed in the MBA program.

TTU PARKING: For those of you spending the summer in Lubbock, you will quickly learn that TTU and HSC are different schools. A TTU parking permit will do you no good in Amarillo or Abilene, at the SOP which is part of HSC. Some people took apartments in Lubbock that were close by and walked. You will also need to pay to park at the gym on campus (unless you have already bought a permit). There are pay stations in the parking lot. Also, my understanding is that the parking enforcement WILL NOT give tickets before 8am. I went to the 6:15am Cross Fit class and never had trouble with parking (but I had a permit too). The Cross Fit class was one of my favorite things during the summer. I think I paid about $85 for summer parking. During the summer, you can park in resident hall parking. There is a resident hall parking lot right near the front entrance of Rawls.

Good info, thanks! Had my interview for the MBA program last week and I'm fairly confident I'll get in.....I'll be sure to check out these housing options.

Interviewed last week.

I interviewed for the SOP on January 13th, I have yet to hear anything about my MBA application.

@benoski how did you interview for the MBA program, I applied and haven't heard back yet? Was it an phone interview or in person?

P1 students who applied to the MBA program started getting interviews this week. It won't be long, if you haven't gotten yours yet. It kinda comes unexpectedly.
How are the interview invites done? Thru email , phone interviews or in person interviews?

Good info, thanks! Had my interview for the MBA program last week and I'm fairly confident I'll get in.....I'll be sure to check out these housing options.
How did they invite you for the interview? Via email? Or they just called and did a suprise phone interview?

I got wait-listed at my number one choice -- Tech was my backup so it looks like I'll be living in Amarillo for the next two years! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

@benoski how did you interview for the MBA program, I applied and haven't heard back yet? Was it an phone interview or in person?
It was a very short phone interview. He called, left a voicemail, I called back and we were done in 5 mins.

How did they invite you for the interview? Via email? Or they just called and did a suprise phone interview?
Phone interview....I did get an email earlier though to expect a phone interview in coming weeks.

Awesome, thank you for the information :) I joined the Facebook group so we all just talking on there mostly now.

Congrats to those accepted to the MBA. How did you guys apply? did you submit the interest form at the interview or through another method? Thanks

How do we find out which placement city we are in? I have not received my acceptance letter in the mail yet... it's been a week or so lol

Does anyone else still have confetti all over their floor?

Reactions: 1 user