Texas Tech Pharmacy 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, it's not for everyone and should be useful for you. Some people end up getting an MBA after they graduate anyway.
It is useful for people who want to go into management, private practice, etc. I am told that some students have been able to have substantially higher salaries within the first 5 years (after graduation). I have a business management background, so that is part of why I looked at it.
Anything that can set you apart in getting the job you want, or even a residency, will help.
Another thing that Texas Tech pushes is interprofessional work. The MBA program will pair you with MD and Law students for multiple projects.
There are so many options for pharmacists in the future, this will help make you the right choice for a job. For example, a small group practice may need a pharmacist for frequent consultations, but also need a practice manager. They may not be able to afford both, full time, but could hire you at an increased salary to do both. (If that's your thing.) The possibilities are endless: industry, sales, insurance, hospital, regional retail management, etc.

That makes it better, right? Less people with your credentials when you graduate. As I mentioned, MBAs can get expensive, easily $20-30k. Mine will cost about $12k.
The reason it is cheaper/easier to do it now, is that you can incorporate some PharmD classes. We have 12 credits (6 classes), that we are already taking in the PharmD program, counted towards the MBA. Last summer there were 29 PharmD students in my class. Some were P2 and some of my P1 classmates will start the MBA next summer, so you would be with them (great way to start networking). About 20% of the class will get an MBA, but not everyone gets accepted to the MBA program, so more than 20% apply. -and not all of the PharmD students have an undergraduate degree either, so not everyone qualifies.

The course is designed to give you that knowledge. Most of my classmates don't have business experience. The accounting course won't teach you to be an accountant, but teach you to be able to read the reports, etc. You are introduced to project management, managed care, and statistics. It's designed to teach you the business side that a private pharmacist, or pharmacy manager, will need, but won't get in the pharmacy program.

Well, we did 9 credits this summer in about three weeks. However, I think they are changing the schedule next year. It is fast paced. Some assignments due everyday.
We had two half summer terms, but the second one was cut short due to Pharm and Med students going to orientation. Next summer they may have one term.

Of course you would be in Lubbock the first summer and your Pharm campus for the second summer. I would recommend starting the P0 summer, because the summer after your P2 year, you may want to do a rotation. If you start the MBA after the P1 year, then you will be taking MBA classes after your P2 year instead of doing a rotation.

Sorry for the long answer. Hope it helps.

This is really good info, thanks a lot. I just submitted my merlin app and wish I had read this before doing it. I basically wrote off the dual program until I read this and now I'm having serious reconsiderations (if that's a even a word..haha). Anyway I just want to confirm, is it still possible to switch to the dual program from the basic PharmD program? Is this route less/more competitive? And how much extra does the dual program cost compared to the basic program?

Members don't see this ad.

This is really good info, thanks a lot. I just submitted my merlin app and wish I had read this before doing it. I basically wrote off the dual program until I read this and now I'm having serious reconsiderations (if that's a even a word..haha). Anyway I just want to confirm, is it still possible to switch to the dual program from the basic PharmD program? Is this route less/more competitive? And how much extra does the dual program cost compared to the basic program?

During the interview, they give you a chance to switch it. You also get a chance to switch during P1 year although that means you will have to start your P2 summer which isn't ideal.

From what I heard, its not less/more competitive. There weren't a lot of people applying so I think pretty much everyone that applied and qualified (undergraduate degree) got in. I have a friend that got in with low GPA and no business experience so it's definitely not competitive. But if there is a lot of people this year and classes fill up, it may get harder.

Its about 12k extra.

Just know that this will take up your P2 summer. Many people work as pharmacy intern/research during P2 summer which is why I chose not to apply. If you are interested in the business side, go for it. If not, it might not be worth it.

@GoingBack120 Thanks, yeah I will just buy a cheap dell for just tests and quizzes no need to buy a $1800 dell when I'm getting the new MacBook in a couple of weeks.

Just know that for your first semester, you will need a PC 4/5 days to take daily attendance quiz for anatomy/physiology. Not sure for second semester yet since we are not there yet. I got tired of bringing 2 computers pretty much every day so I just bring my PC and take my notes on PC. Everyone pretty much uses onenote to take notes and having surface pro or touch screen PC is very helpful. I have an iphone, ipad, and Macbook but I made the switch. Just something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
During the interview, they give you a chance to switch it. You also get a chance to switch during P1 year although that means you will have to start your P2 summer which isn't ideal.

From what I heard, its not less/more competitive. There weren't a lot of people applying so I think pretty much everyone that applied and qualified (undergraduate degree) got in. I have a friend that got in with low GPA and no business experience so it's definitely not competitive. But if there is a lot of people this year and classes fill up, it may get harder.

Its about 12k extra.

Just know that this will take up your P2 summer. Many people work as pharmacy intern/research during P2 summer which is why I chose not to apply. If you are interested in the business side, go for it. If not, it might not be worth it.
Hey, so is the MBA program an extra 12k for in state or out of state students?

Now that I am accepted to the TTUHSC SOP, I am having a hard time deciding if I want to apply for the dual degree program. :/

Hello, everyone! I just got an interview for January in Amarillo! All of your posts have been helpful. Thanks to the person who started this thread!

Accepted to Abilene, do we have a facebook yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, cellardoorxo,
How do you think you did? :)
Ahhhh actually I had been accepted just a few days before the interview to my first choice, and Amarillo is a pretty far drive for me so I declined my interview. But I wish you luck on getting accepted!

I thought was accepted to Abilene since my interview was there, I just received the acceptance letter in the mail and it says Amarillo :/ Anyone know if that decision is final or can I request them to change it to Abilene?

Were admission offers sent today to candidates who attended the interview on the 20th?

I was interviewed on the same day as well, Jan. 20th, but have not seen anything from them yet.

I interviewed on Jan 20th too. They said at the interview that they would get back on friday or the following week. Hopefully will hear this week
:)

I interviewed on Jan 20th too. They said at the interview that they would get back on friday or the following week. Hopefully will hear this week
:)
Yeah, I was pretty sure we weren't going to get it today, but probably this upcoming Friday !

Congratulations to those who have been accepted! I wonder when the class before us will be making a Facebook and sending out invitations.

Just found out I was accepted!!:soexcited: Interviewed Jan. 20th in Abilene. Is there a way to see which campus we were accepted at? Good luck to everyone else!

Just got the email that I was accepted. Interview Jan 20th in Abilene also.

Tense wait, can finally breathe easy now.......Fall 2017 here we come. Congrats y'all!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted ! I'm so excited to see you guys in this fall .

Accepted, too! I look forward to spending the next four years working and learning together!

Accepted! I'm not sure for which location, but I was wondering is there a Facebook page where we can start looking for roommates?

Accepted! I'm not sure for which location, but I was wondering is there a Facebook page where we can start looking for roommates?
Same. I'm looking for a girl roommate also. Did you choose Abilene or Amarillo ?

Same. I'm looking for a girl roommate also. Did you choose Abilene or Amarillo ?
I chose Abilene and interviewed there too! Waiting to see which location I'll be going to. Add me on facebook! :)

I chose Abilene and interviewed there too! Waiting to see which location I'll be going to. Add me on facebook! :)
Me too . I chose Abilene and interviewed there too . I hope we have the same location so we can be roommates . :happy:

Congrats everyone Accepted!! Is anyone on this form going to Amarillo?

Also, is anyone interested in doing the dual degree program (MBA-PharmD)?

My letter says I was accepted to Amarillo but I emailed them to give me the option to switch to Abilene, no response yet. And I am very interested in the MBA, I applied for it, hope they accept me.

I Accepted the offer too. Interviewed on Jan 20th. See you guys in the Fall!!! Does anyone know if we could still apply for the MBA program? I have emailed them , but no response yet

Anyone from Abilene interested in switching to Amarillo? We can trade spots dm me!

If anyone from Abilene is willing to switch with me to amarillo dm me!

Is anyone else having any issues with their eRaider account? I set mine up following the instructions (I believe), but I never got a follow up email after I finished setting it up. When I log in I have a page where my only options are to edit my contact information or password. I also got an email the day after setting up informing me that I have no set up my account. I've already sent an email to Texas Tech's tech support, but I'm just curious who else, if anyone, has had any issues.

Is there a facebook group for the class of 2021 yet?

I haven't received an invitation for a Facebook group yet, 11634, nor was I able to find a group for the class of 2021 on Facebook.

Is anyone else having any issues with their eRaider account? I set mine up following the instructions (I believe), but I never got a follow up email after I finished setting it up. When I log in I have a page where my only options are to edit my contact information or password. I also got an email the day after setting up informing me that I have no set up my account. I've already sent an email to Texas Tech's tech support, but I'm just curious who else, if anyone, has had any issues.

Me too, I called the IT just now, they told me they are missing some info from my profile and that I have to call either the registrar office or student services for the discipline and location of my school (Pharmacy, Amarillo 806-414-9393 ). I called and left a voice message.

I thought was accepted to Abilene since my interview was there, I just received the acceptance letter in the mail and it says Amarillo :/ Anyone know if that decision is final or can I request them to change it to Abilene?

P1 class will setup a FB page sometime.

I think you are locked in to your campus for the first two years, but you can contact admissions/student services to request to be waitlisted for a different campus. It may be possible to change campuses for P3/P4, but not guaranteed.

Congrats everyone Accepted!! Is anyone on this form going to Amarillo?

Also, is anyone interested in doing the dual degree program (MBA-PharmD)?

Some of the current P1s are saying there is a wait list for the MBA program.

Some of the current P1s are saying there is a wait list for the MBA program.
I just turned in my application today. They replied saying that the committee will be meeting the end of this month.

Me too, I called the IT just now, they told me they are missing some info from my profile and that I have to call either the registrar office or student services for the discipline and location of my school (Pharmacy, Amarillo 806-414-9393 ). I called and left a voice message.
I am also having issues activating the account. It keeps asking to type in a valid email account when i have already typed in a valid one.

P1 class will setup a FB page sometime.
Last year, I think our Facebook page was set up at the end of February. We'll let you know. It will be kind of an intro page with other classes on there. Once you all actually start school and we know for sure who will be in the class, and you elect officers, they will set up your own Facebook page.

I got this in response to my email to IT:
"you will not be able to activate your TTUHSC email until you have been accepted into a program at TTUHSC. Once you have received you acceptance letter, it make take 24-48 hours after that for your account to be provisioned for TTUHSC email." [The typos are from the email; it's copied and pasted.]

Perhaps I'll have to wait until I receive the physical letter in the mail, but I've already received the admissions email, paid my placement fee, have a receipt, and have other emails indicating that I'm accepted. I hope these updates aren't too off topic for this thread.

I interviewed at Amarillo on 1/20 and got accepted on 2/9! :biglove:
Unfortunately, I have already accepted another school's offer... :(