Texas Tech Pharmacy 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guess what day it is today, its Wednesday!! Will we find out today/tonight?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know same here. They need to post them soon and not after business hours.

Is anyone on this forum interviewing on Oct 7th or 14th? Why is this forum so dead?

Ahh because on their website and email I think they said last 2 fridays in Sept and first 2 fridays in Oct.

Ahh because on their website and email I think they said last 2 fridays in Sept and first 2 fridays in Oct.

Awhile back they did have 5 dates listed on the site, but then they cut it down to 3 days. I'm not too sure what's going on. Maybe not enough applicants?

Well I guess that is a good thing, because that mean more/all early decision applicants get in right?

Well I guess that is a good thing, because that mean more/all early decision applicants get in right?

Gosh I hope so!! Lol The wait is killing me. Been trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about it.

Reactions: 1 user
We all are on the same boat, I keep refreshing my email, checking my phone, staying on SDN, and checking Merlin/PharmCAS lol. The wait is just stressing me out, hopefully we all got in though.

We all are on the same boat, I keep refreshing my email, checking my phone, staying on SDN, and checking Merlin/PharmCAS lol. The wait is just stressing me out, hopefully we all got in though.

Lol I know how you feel!! Praying we all hear back today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone tell me all the things that there Merlin application says under the tab "Applicant Status Review"

Like for the Supplemental Application does it have a check mark on the required only or does it also have it on the completed box also?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can switch which school you got accepted to after you pay the $400 placement fee?

Are you still going to the UH interview on Friday?
Yeah, but I'll probably still choose Tech over UH. I just wanna make sure I'm choosing the best school for me and although I really really liked Tech, I just want to make sure, if that makes any sense.

Did anyone accept their offer already?
Also, did anyone sign up for a Red Raider Id or will we be notified?

Last edited:
Guys, I declined Tech. I really really liked the school, but I found one that was just a better fit for me. I wish y'all the best though!

Can someone please post a picture of the immunization form that was given to us during the interview? It was a really windy day on my interview day and mine flew away...

Can someone please post a picture of the immunization form that was given to us during the interview? It was a really windy day on my interview day and mine flew away...
PM me your email. I'll send you a pdf copy of mine

Congrats on all of you who have been accepted into Texas Tech! I'm currently a P1 at the Abilene campus, so if any of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to give you a detailed response!

Congrats on all of you who have been accepted into Texas Tech! I'm currently a P1 at the Abilene campus, so if any of you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to give you a detailed response!
What's the schedule like so far? :)

What's the schedule like so far? :)
I'm a P1 in Amarillo. Schedule is fine and very doable. It is very intense, so don't expect easy As like we've had in the past. There are plenty of people getting very high As though. We have about 22 hours of classes/labs every week. I don't work because I have a family, but if you are a good student with great time management, you certainly could work.

Here is a link to schedules:
https://www.ttuhsc.edu/sop/academicinfo/

Last edited:
@futurepharm27
I think you asked about PharmD/MBA. I am in it now. MBA is much easier for me, but also very intense. I think it's a no-brainer. Inexpensive, Heathcare focused, etc.
You also get Six Sigma certified, which is becoming more common in hospitals.

@GoingBack120

I have some questions if you don't mind answering:

What are the benefits of being the the dual degree program?
Is it really worth joining and getting the dual degree, because it doesn't seem like many people apply for it?
How hard would it be for someone who does not have any business knowledge?
Also you mention that it is very intense, what exactly do you mean by that? What makes it so intense?

@GoingBack120

I have some questions if you don't mind answering:

What are the benefits of being the the dual degree program?
Well, it's not for everyone and should be useful for you. Some people end up getting an MBA after they graduate anyway.
It is useful for people who want to go into management, private practice, etc. I am told that some students have been able to have substantially higher salaries within the first 5 years (after graduation). I have a business management background, so that is part of why I looked at it.
Anything that can set you apart in getting the job you want, or even a residency, will help.
Another thing that Texas Tech pushes is interprofessional work. The MBA program will pair you with MD and Law students for multiple projects.
There are so many options for pharmacists in the future, this will help make you the right choice for a job. For example, a small group practice may need a pharmacist for frequent consultations, but also need a practice manager. They may not be able to afford both, full time, but could hire you at an increased salary to do both. (If that's your thing.) The possibilities are endless: industry, sales, insurance, hospital, regional retail management, etc.

Is it really worth joining and getting the dual degree, because it doesn't seem like many people apply for it?
That makes it better, right? Less people with your credentials when you graduate. As I mentioned, MBAs can get expensive, easily $20-30k. Mine will cost about $12k.
The reason it is cheaper/easier to do it now, is that you can incorporate some PharmD classes. We have 12 credits (6 classes), that we are already taking in the PharmD program, counted towards the MBA. Last summer there were 29 PharmD students in my class. Some were P2 and some of my P1 classmates will start the MBA next summer, so you would be with them (great way to start networking). About 20% of the class will get an MBA, but not everyone gets accepted to the MBA program, so more than 20% apply. -and not all of the PharmD students have an undergraduate degree either, so not everyone qualifies.

How hard would it be for someone who does not have any business knowledge?
The course is designed to give you that knowledge. Most of my classmates don't have business experience. The accounting course won't teach you to be an accountant, but teach you to be able to read the reports, etc. You are introduced to project management, managed care, and statistics. It's designed to teach you the business side that a private pharmacist, or pharmacy manager, will need, but won't get in the pharmacy program.

Also you mention that it is very intense, what exactly do you mean by that? What makes it so intense?
Well, we did 9 credits this summer in about three weeks. However, I think they are changing the schedule next year. It is fast paced. Some assignments due everyday.
We had two half summer terms, but the second one was cut short due to Pharm and Med students going to orientation. Next summer they may have one term.

Of course you would be in Lubbock the first summer and your Pharm campus for the second summer. I would recommend starting the P0 summer, because the summer after your P2 year, you may want to do a rotation. If you start the MBA after the P1 year, then you will be taking MBA classes after your P2 year instead of doing a rotation.

Sorry for the long answer. Hope it helps.

@GoingBack120

I appreciate all the information you have provided. It is very helpful and I will have to take some time to think this all though, you made valid points. The only business background I have is working at my parents Gas Station and Hotels when they owned. I have 7 years of experience in that but it wasn't anything to in depth and technical.

You are absolutely correct when you say that it makes you stand out after graduation, because not many people want to pursue the dual degree program. The cost of getting the dual degree is not my main concern as long as I get my education and am happy with what I do.

Also, if I do get accepted to do the dual degree I don't know where I can stay in Lubbock for 3 months, because I will be attending classes in Amarillo in August so I will have an apartment there. I don't want to sign up for an apartment in April in Amarillo and drive 2 hours to Lubbock everyday. So that will be something I have to think and look into as well.

Once again thank you for useful information, I will definitely look more into it now.

@GoingBack120
I don't know where I can stay in Lubbock for 3 months, .
There are LOTS of student housing apartments that have subleases over the summer. Leases are 12 months and typically end after you will leave Lubbock for Amarillo. Many students go home for the summer, or have graduated, and don't want to pay for the last two months of the lease (June/July/1st wk of August). You won't have any trouble finding a sublease. Check craigslist, or call the housing complexes directly.

I was accepted!! Officially a part of the school of pharmacy class of 2021!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received an email with a code that is used to set up an eRaider ID and TTUHSC email?

Sucks we have to buy a laptop just to take exams on. All the products that I have are Apple (can't wait for the new MacBook!). I wish they could allow you to have a dual boot mac to take exams on. I know we can use them for note taking and stuff but not during the exams and quizzes.

Does anyone know the specifics yet? Or what is allowed and what is not?

Sucks we have to buy a laptop just to take exams on. All the products that I have are Apple (can't wait for the new MacBook!). I wish they could allow you to have a dual boot mac to take exams on. I know we can use them for note taking and stuff but not during the exams and quizzes.

Does anyone know the specifics yet? Or what is allowed and what is not?
As of right now, TTU SOP uses the Respondus lockdown browser for some exams and daily quizzes. It does not work effectively on Macs. If you use a Mac, you will fail the test. That's pretty much it. No Macs for tests. You can use anything you want for taking notes (even a paper and pencil!!) :)

Have you guys done the criminal background check yet? I read that you're supposed to get an e-mail with info for it, but it came in the physical acceptance letter as well.

@GoingBack120 Thanks, yeah I will just buy a cheap dell for just tests and quizzes no need to buy a $1800 dell when I'm getting the new MacBook in a couple of weeks.

@chriskyle711 I already did my criminal background check on Oct 11th and it came back the next day and I was cleared. A document is attached to the email.

I also set up my TTUHSC email today! Getting excited guys and girls.

Hey everyone! Congrats to all that has received an offer so far. I received my offer email on the 17th, but not have received the actual form I need to sign and return yet in the mail. Does anyone know when the deadline is for the form? Also, I know some of you all have said the background check was included in the mail as well, but aren't we supposed to get an email with more instructions on that? I havent received anthing yet :(

Just wait patiently it will come in the mail. You should be good as long as you got the acceptance/congratulation email. Everyone has different dates it just depends when you interviewed and stuff.

For example this is what I have completed so far:
1) I sent in my signed acceptance letter
2) Paid the placement fee
3) Got a criminal background check
4) Set up my TTUHSC email
5) Gathered my shot record and stuff (still have to complete the TB ones in May as they said)

What I still have to do:
1) Take an economics course to complete the requirement (even though I graduated with a BS in Biochem)
2) Get CPR certified
3) Shot stuff
4) I am probably forgetting something just don't know what lol :)

I hope this helps. Wish they has a Facebook page so we could start talking to people and getting to know them.

Just wait patiently it will come in the mail. You should be good as long as you got the acceptance/congratulation email. Everyone has different dates it just depends when you interviewed and stuff.

I hope this helps. Wish they has a Facebook page so we could start talking to people and getting to know them.

There will be a Facebook page setup eventually. P1 class will let you know.
Don't be in too much of a rush. I know it is exciting. However, the staff that process all of your enrollment information aren't generally ready until the spring. I wouldn't worry about sending anything until Feb/Mar. The background check will probably be due in March. I don't even think I had my email with instructions on the background check until February. You will need Hep B vaccines, so if you don't have that, get started (I think it is a six month series). Just send back the acceptance letter and pay the fee, now!

1) Take an economics course to complete the requirement (even though I graduated with a BS in Biochem)
Sorry about econ. My undergraduate didn't have Public Speaking, so I had to take that last year.

2) Get CPR certified
Almost forgot... make sure you get BLS certified, not basic CPR. I'm sure you all know this, but there is a difference. CPR is a major part of BLS. The detailed differences don't really matter, but the fact is, you must have BLS certification (for healthcare providers) for school.