Texas Waitlist Information 2005 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW... in an hour, it will be JUNE 15th!

I guess the number of ppl on Waitlists will DECREASE dramatically as they are dropped from the waitlist (due to other TX acceptances)

I'll call UTSA on June 16th or 17th to check out the new waitlist number... any other takers/callers???

:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

MadameLULU said:
After 6.15, TX schools can't offer an applicant a place in their class if the applicant is holding a position at another TX school.
Oh I see. This doesnt really affect me though, since I'm on the out of state waitlists and dont have a position myself. For instate people I guess it might mean slower movement after 6.15.. should still be some movement though, if some tx residents get into out of state schools (or baylor - if that counts and moves anytime soon heh)..
Good luck folks

I'd just like to say that I've officially given up on UT-Southwestern. J. Scott, it's been real. It's totally cool with me that you didn't have a position for someone with my excellent numbers in your class. I'm not bitter in the least. +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
Childe said:
Oh I see. This doesnt really affect me though, since I'm on the out of state waitlists and dont have a position myself. For instate people I guess it might mean slower movement after 6.15.. should still be some movement though, if some tx residents get into out of state schools (or baylor - if that counts and moves anytime soon heh)..
Good luck folks

actually baylor is included

txkiwieyes said:
WOW... in an hour, it will be JUNE 15th!

I guess the number of ppl on Waitlists will DECREASE dramatically as they are dropped from the waitlist (due to other TX acceptances)

I'll call UTSA on June 16th or 17th to check out the new waitlist number... any other takers/callers???

:oops:

You know I didn't get interviewed by UTSA but I really like the way they have set up their waitlist. Originally it was what(?) 65 people. I heard from a previous post that they've accepted 7 people off so thats then like 58. That last number dosen't even include people who have dropped their waitlist spots or were offered a spot off the waitlist and declined it pre-June 15. Now that it is post-June 15, I wouldn't be surprised if that number is down to something between 20-30. Out of all the schools, I would think this is the smallest remaining waitlist. But this is all speculation.......

Another thing that I've noticed that has me thinking: most of the people who I have seen accepted off of waitlists already had a spot somewhere else. This would make sense given that someone who already has a spot at one (or multiple) medical schools is probably the type of candidate that would be one of the first ones picked off of waitlists. Okay I just realized I have no point to make there, sometimes i just start typing on these things and i don't stop. gook luck everybody.

MadameLULU said:
actually baylor is included

i'm confused. so can baylor accept anyone that's been accepted already at a tx school after June 15th?? or are they apart of the agreement w/ the tx schools not to??

basten0 said:
Now that it is post-June 15, I wouldn't be surprised if that number is down to something between 20-30. Out of all the schools, I would think this is the smallest remaining waitlist. But this is all speculation.......

Hopefully there will be some movement if there are that few left. Considering it's post June 15th, and earlier in the month, i was told the only movement left at UTSA will depend on if someone decides not to attend at all, my chances are still low.

basten0 said:
Another thing that I've noticed that has me thinking: most of the people who I have seen accepted off of waitlists already had a spot somewhere else. This would make sense given that someone who already has a spot at one (or multiple) medical schools is probably the type of candidate that would be one of the first ones picked off of waitlists. Okay I just realized I have no point to make there, sometimes i just start typing on these things and i don't stop. gook luck everybody.

Yea... i was thinking that too. But I guess post June 15th, those ppl finally let go of at least one spot for the rest of us scavengers! hahaha... :p

MadameLULU said:
Baylor is a part of the agreement

Though my love for all the Texas med schools transcends both space and time, it seems to me that Baylor and Southwestern will have their waitlists considerably reduced more than the other schools because of this agreement. I would think the overwhelming majority of individuals who can get interviews and then get waitlisted at baylor and/or southwestern will probably get in somewhere else in texas. I don't think this is necessarily bad for baylor and southwestern because I'm sure they retain a high percentage of the people they accept/match with.

On other fronts, man i really need to finish my reapplication like tonight. good luck folks.

just called UTSA earlier today. they said they will not be expecting any more movement from the waitlist. their class is pretty set on attending there (I guess they asked the incoming students?? who knows?)

anyhow... i guess that means reapplication for me! which sucks because this will be the third time! what a drag...

txkiwieyes said:
just called UTSA earlier today. they said they will not be expecting any more movement from the waitlist. their class is pretty set on attending there (I guess they asked the incoming students?? who knows?)

anyhow... i guess that means reapplication for me! which sucks because this will be the third time! what a drag...
Hey man, sorry to hear it. But the third time can be the charm. Are you going to change anything about your application?

txkiwieyes said:

Sorry to hear that, kiwieyes. I don't think any of the schools are going to have waitlist movement anymore this year...or so it seems. Good luck with the reapplication process (I know it's such a drag!).

How has everyone been?

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
Hey man, sorry to hear it. But the third time can be the charm. Are you going to change anything about your application?

i guess i'll be adding new grades (4.0 GPA) from grad school, research experience (from this summer) and hopefully i will get another job working with a doctor for more experience.

I don't know what else to do, since i've already graduated...

EvoDevo, Congrats on UTSA! I know you will have fun! wish I coulda' been there with ya'll!

true blue said:
Sorry to hear that, kiwieyes. I don't think any of the schools are going to have waitlist movement anymore this year...or so it seems. Good luck with the reapplication process (I know it's such a drag!).

How has everyone been?

hey True Blue! Long time no post! =) how u been?
i've just been down about the whole waitlist situation, and trying
are you planning on reapplying at all?

txkiwieyes said:
i guess i'll be adding new grades (4.0 GPA) from grad school, research experience (from this summer) and hopefully i will get another job working with a doctor for more experience.

I don't know what else to do, since i've already graduated...

EvoDevo, Congrats on UTSA! I know you will have fun! wish I coulda' been there with ya'll!
Well, that all sounds sigificant. :) Good luck. And reapplying isn't all bad. Don't give up. You'll get there. Believe me, I know.

txkiwieyes said:

hey txkiwieyes,

i'm going to be with you during this next application cycle. we can share some laughs next school year reading these newbie applicants freak out on the TMDSAS thread about every little thing thats going on with their application. keep truckin.

txkiwieyes said:

Gonna be reapplying again also. Not sure what to do with my personal statement. I really like it, so it's hard for me to remove even a word! And I can't add anymore since I've used up all 62 lines. Something I gotta figure out...

Hey guys, good luck to all of you re-applying! Hopefully I'll see some of you at UT-Houston next year! Make sure you rank us high! ;) (Sorry couldn't resist the plug for my school)

Anyways, has anyone received official word from Southwestern about being kicked off the waitlist? I haven't heard anything yet. They promised to stay in touch and that if by June we couldn't get a spot they'd let us know, but you know how med schools are about staying in touch! :rolleyes:

basten0 said:
hey txkiwieyes,

i'm going to be with you during this next application cycle. we can share some laughs next school year reading these newbie applicants freak out on the TMDSAS thread about every little thing thats going on with their application. keep truckin.

sounds like a plan to me basten0~!! i'm filling out most of my app by tonight... but i need to rewrite my personal statement!

i feel like it's being rushed since ppl are already cramming to turn in their apps! YIKES!

have you already started on it or turned it in? what 'bout u true blue?? How're things goin'? :oops:

txkiwieyes said:
sounds like a plan to me basten0~!! i'm filling out most of my app by tonight... but i need to rewrite my personal statement!

i feel like it's being rushed since ppl are already cramming to turn in their apps! YIKES!

have you already started on it or turned it in? what 'bout u true blue?? How're things goin'? :oops:

I'm done with my reapp essay. have gotten proofread a couple of times but i want a professor to proofread once more. i've filled out half of my TMDSAS application. it dosen't take so long when i've already done it before.

basten0 said:
I'm done with my reapp essay. have gotten proofread a couple of times but i want a professor to proofread once more. i've filled out half of my TMDSAS application. it dosen't take so long when i've already done it before.
man... you're on the ball! I was holding out so much hope for waitlist movement my way... i totally put that stuff off.

not only that... i have to get new LORs ASAP! the ones I used before are now expired from my Health prof office.

txkiwieyes said:
man... you're on the ball! I was holding out so much hope for waitlist movement my way... i totally put that stuff off.

not only that... i have to get new LORs ASAP! the ones I used before are now expired from my Health prof office.

my LORs are sort've a mess. my health prof. office file hasn't expired so i guess i could use the exact same three again. one of my profs has already updated the one she wrote for me. but my other two profs don't seem very interested in updating. i even told them that they could just send in the exact same letter but with a new evaluation form b/c i've been told its good to just get a date update if possible. we'll see. gotta keep truckin.

txkiwieyes said:

Hi kiwieyes!

Get that app turned in and good luck! :)

I do not plan to reapply at this time.

Are you on the waitlist anywhere else besides UTSA?

true blue said:
Hi kiwieyes!
Get that app turned in and good luck! :)
I do not plan to reapply at this time.
Are you on the waitlist anywhere else besides UTSA?

Hey true blue!

thanks for the luck wishes! i'll need them.
I'm also on the UTH waitlist... but yea... I haven't heard from them or received any info since I got the WL letter. so I've given up on them...

I realized that i am a TERRIBLE interviewee... so i'm going to seriously work on that this time around!

Will you be reapplying in the future? if so... I know we'll see each other when we're BOTH on the OTHER side!!!
:)

wow... I guess we may have to lay this thread to rest.

dude this sucks... there seems to be absolutely no movement after June 15th. Jeezzz...

guess there's always next year! :idea:

txkiwieyes said:
wow... I guess we may have to lay this thread to rest.

dude this sucks... there seems to be absolutely no movement after June 15th. Jeezzz...

guess there's always next year! :idea:
Maybe everyone is busy working on their applications. ;)

News, anyone??

true blue said:
Maybe everyone is busy working on their applications. ;)

News, anyone??

no news here..I have lost all hope..I am going to begin studying for they April 2006 MCAT..Organic and Physics after 5yrs..yikes :scared:

kilppy said:
no news here..I have lost all hope..I am going to begin studying for they April 2006 MCAT..Organic and Physics after 5yrs..yikes :scared:

Hey kilppy!

if you're studying for the April 2006 MCAT, are you reapplying then for this coming cycle?

txkiwi!

txkiwieyes said:
Hey kilppy!

if you're studying for the April 2006 MCAT, are you reapplying then for this coming cycle?

txkiwi!
No, I am going to apply in May 2006..My MCAT scores have expired and there is NO WAY I would be ready for the Aug MCAT..On top of that, UT only allows you to use your LOR for 2 consecutive years and I haven't been in school since 2002 and don't really feel comfortable asking those same profs.. I am taking 2 classes in the fall and one in the spring so I will be kissing some serious butt to get LOR from all three profs.!!

kilppy said:
No, I am going to apply in May 2006..My MCAT scores have expired and there is NO WAY I would be ready for the Aug MCAT..On top of that, UT only allows you to use your LOR for 2 consecutive years and I haven't been in school since 2002 and don't really feel comfortable asking those same profs.. I am taking 2 classes in the fall and one in the spring so I will be kissing some serious butt to get LOR from all three profs.!!

yea... I feel ya' on the LOR's! My LORs from UT expired as well! I had FIVE of them there. It's okay though. I guess having updated LORs would be better for the both of us! GOOD LUCK with EVERYTHING!

anyone know how late is too late to turn in your TMDSAS app for the best chances of getting interviews?

I'm trying to get my personal statement just right... so I won't turn it in until maybe the beginning of july. am i pushing it?

the past two times, i applied late, the first time late October, the second time Late August, Early September... obviously I didn't get in (and only got two interviews each time). Do you think it's because of late application???

It's a good possibility kiwi. I had all my app materials submitted by the beginning of july (except for my univ. committee packet, which although I requested at the of June, didn't arrive at TMDSAS until September) and TCOM's file review told me to apply early next time.

Do we need to have our immunizations already complete in case we get taken off the wait list? I don't think I have the Hepatitis B shot. We won't have time getting them done if we get called towards matriculation.

DrateR | ****** said:
Do we need to have our immunizations already complete in case we get taken off the wait list? I don't think I have the Hepatitis B shot. We won't have time getting them done if we get called towards matriculation.
Hmmm...good question. I guess they would have told us if we should or not. The schools were great about making sure we filed our FAFSA's. I guess it is all about $$$. :oops:

true blue said:
Hmmm...good question. I guess they would have told us if we should or not. The schools were great about making sure we filed our FAFSA's. I guess it is all about $$$. :oops:

Please don't quote me on this one, as I'm not completely positive, but for some of the immunizations that are required in series (like hep B), you can get a semester waiver while you're having the shots completed. But you have to have at least started the series. Hope that helps!

txkiwieyes said:
anyone know how late is too late to turn in your TMDSAS app for the best chances of getting interviews?

I'm trying to get my personal statement just right... so I won't turn it in until maybe the beginning of july. am i pushing it?

the past two times, i applied late, the first time late October, the second time Late August, Early September... obviously I didn't get in (and only got two interviews each time). Do you think it's because of late application???

Though the earlier the application is submitted the better, my personal thoughts are that early July applications will still be fully considered. Last year I had my applications completed toward the end of August and though I only got 3 interviews which I do think is because I turned it in so late, I was still accepted into medical school for this year (UTMB). If you really want to get into med school, I say turn the application in as soon as possible (early July if you can)... but don't rush in a sloppy application just to have it in earlier. Keep in mind they moved the due date up by one month this year to October 1st, so I would definately make it a priority to get it in ASAP!

Hope you get lots of interviews. Good luck!!! :luck:

NatrlRx123 said:
Though the earlier the application is submitted the better, my personal thoughts are that early July applications will still be fully considered. Last year I had my applications completed toward the end of August and though I only got 3 interviews which I do think is because I turned it in so late, I was still accepted into medical school for this year (UTMB). If you really want to get into med school, I say turn the application in as soon as possible (early July if you can)... but don't rush in a sloppy application just to have it in earlier. Keep in mind they moved the due date up by one month this year to October 1st, so I would definately make it a priority to get it in ASAP!

Hope you get lots of interviews. Good luck!!! :luck:

Hey everybody. I agree with everything in the above post. I didn't get my application processed last year until late August and I still got 4 interviews. I know people who got it turned in a lot later than I did and still got in. But of course the earlier the better.

basten0 said:
Hey everybody. I agree with everything in the above post. I didn't get my application processed last year until late August and I still got 4 interviews. I know people who got it turned in a lot later than I did and still got in. But of course the earlier the better.
I agree wholeheartedly. It is definitely to your advantage to get them in ASAP!! :)

how many people have heard all these stories about people getting called 3 days before class starts? seems like everyone I talk to mentions this. it's not over til it's really over.

DrateR | ****** said:
how many people have heard all these stories about people getting called 3 days before class starts? seems like everyone I talk to mentions this. it's not over til it's really over.

sigh* though those stories still bring a glimmer of hope to me, I have heard alot of schools are beginning registration in July or have already started registering students.

I figure once registration starts, they will know their definite class... so we can give up all hope then.

Being called in a few days before classes start is as likely as getting struck by lightning at this point... yes... i'm a pessimist now...
:(

DrateR | ****** said:

I agree! There are some students who never show up to orientation, so the deans have to call to find someone else to take their place. Hang on there :luck: :luck:

I'm still SHAKING!!!

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS at HOUSTON MED SCHOOL!!! :D :D :D

txkiwieyes said:
I'm still SHAKING!!!

Holy Crap!! CONGRATS!!!!! :) I am so excited for you!!

txkiwieyes said:
I'm still SHAKING!!!

Yay!! Doesn't it feel great and yet surreal??

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Now it is time to scramble and get all that paper work done :D.

txkiwieyes said:
I'm still SHAKING!!!

Wow, congrats!!

txkiwieyes said:
I'm still SHAKING!!!

WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

what happened.
did you do anything?

again (can't say enough), CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.