Texas Waitlist Information 2005 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is June 1st the date when ppl with an acceptance to a tx medical school are dropped from schools where they have been waitlisted? Or it is June 15th?
Thanks for any info regarding this.

Members don't see this ad.

jbp100 said:
Does anyone feel as though when calling a school and inquiring about waitlist movement, the person on the phone simply looks at the calendar and give an arbitrary time frame 2-3 weeks away?

Timeline of the WAITLIST:

February 1st: NO MATCH (suck)

February 2nd: WAITLIST (nm), told movement would accur around March 15th

March 15th: WAITLIST, told movement would occur May 15th

May 15th: WAITLIST, told movement would occur mid to late June.

Will the madness ever end?
The only thing that seems to consistently move is the date that that "waitlist movement will occur after." :rolleyes:

Wow! I better stop. That was pretty catty.

Off to sushi! YUMMY!!! :)

utopia said:
Is June 1st the date when ppl with an acceptance to a tx medical school are dropped from schools where they have been waitlisted? Or it is June 15th?
Thanks for any info regarding this.
I think it's June 15th for Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
lcdh said:
I think it's June 15th for Texas schools.

I also think its June 15th. There is an issue related to this date that I'm sure the rest of y'all have thought about but I wanted to bring it up and get some feedback. It might be a really obvious thing that has already been discussed but I wasn't around for it. From my observations, it seems like a good deal of the waitlist movement (i don't want to say majority because i'm not sure if it really is a majority) that happens with the 8 texas schools is occuring from within, i.e. it occurs when person A who has a spot at texas school X and is waitlisted at texas school Y gets accepted off the waitlist at texas school Y and drops their spot at texas school X. Eventually this trickle effect will ultimately make it down to someone like myself who is waitlister holding no spots at all. This continues to go on until June 15th when the 8 Texas schools have agreed to remove off their waitlists anybody who already has a spot at another Texas school. So then the only people on the waitlists after June 15th are individuals who are 1)holding no acceptance letters at all or 2)holding acceptance letters at some out of state school which still allows them to stay on the waiting list at texas schools (is that the case?). My issue with this is that it dosen't seem very beneficial to the people who are still on the waitlists after June 15th because a lot of waitlist movement that could have potentially occured between texas schools can't happen anymore. Thus it seems like the texas waitlists won't move very much after June 15th because there can be no waitlist movement between the schools. I mean there will still be the stragglers who got an offer on lets say June 14th and take a couple of days to decide but by July it seems like there will be very little movement at all. Does this mean that the 8 texas schools have 12 days to pick up people off the waitlist that they really want to avoid the June 15th deadline? This probably sounds really confusing and I apologize for that. I will clarify upon request.

basten0, you're forgetting all of the people who have acceptances but freak out for some reason or another and decide not to go, don't get financial aid lined up in time, or defer for another year. There will be some waitlist movement through the summer and up through the first week of classes. Yes, this means you might get a call a few days after classes start! It happens. We just might not be seeing the movement here on SDN and the schools are probably screwing with y'all just a bit. That's why you need to keep yourself "available" or whatever, just in case, but it's ok to move on and reapply or do whatever. I posted this before, but last year I got a call (after I lost all hope and reapplied and gotten a job) from Tech three days before classes started. The lady on the phone said that happens every year and they have to scramble to fill their class. There will be waitlist movement, and you just have to hope that it's you they call. Good luck. :luck:

UTKB said:
basten0, you're forgetting all of the people who have acceptances but freak out for some reason or another and decide not to go, don't get financial aid lined up in time, or defer for another year. There will be some waitlist movement through the summer and up through the first week of classes. Yes, this means you might get a call a few days after classes start! It happens. We just might not be seeing the movement here on SDN and the schools are probably screwing with y'all just a bit. That's why you need to keep yourself "available" or whatever, just in case, but it's ok to move on and reapply or do whatever. I posted this before, but last year I got a call (after I lost all hope and reapplied and gotten a job) from Tech three days before classes started. The lady on the phone said that happens every year and they have to scramble to fill their class. There will be waitlist movement, and you just have to hope that it's you they call. Good luck. :luck:

Thank you for bringing a glimmer of HOPE to this thread! :oops:

IN case anyone is waiting for Galveston...I withdrew yesterday...It is a great school and I wish a lot of luck to the person who goes there.

Also I will be dropping UT Houston wait-list soon...
Good luck to all

OH...also...one advice call and e-mail a lot...I got myself off a waitlist three days after being placed on it...so forget your shy side.
If you got decent grades this semester send them in...and write to tell them that you sent them in. :thumbup:

I'm sorry but do you mean you withdrew your acceptance or your waitlist spot? (yea i can't read)

sinephera said:
IN case anyone is waiting for Galveston...I withdrew yesterday...It is a great school and I wish a lot of luck to the person who goes there.

Also I will be dropping UT Houston wait-list soon...
Good luck to all

OH...also...one advice call and e-mail a lot...I got myself off a waitlist three days after being placed on it...so forget your shy side.
If you got decent grades this semester send them in...and write to tell them that you sent them in. :thumbup:

basten0 said:
I'm sorry but do you mean you withdrew your acceptance or your waitlist spot? (yea i can't read)

She withdrew her UTMB acceptance. I believe Sine is deciding between AECOM and NYU.

LostDoktor said:
She withdrew her UTMB acceptance. I believe Sine is deciding between AECOM and NYU.

a week or two ago UTMB told me they had 213 people. so :(

So I was checking A&M match list page today, and I counted exactly 80 MD names and 1 MD/PhD. This is in contrast to a couple of months ago, when I think there were 87 MD and 4 MD/PhD. Can anyone verify the current count? Looks like any more drops from A&M will result in waitlist movement!

b-real said:
So I was checking A&M match list page today, and I counted exactly 80 MD names and 1 MD/PhD. This is in contrast to a couple of months ago, when I think there were 87 MD and 4 MD/PhD. Can anyone verify the current count? Looks like any more drops from A&M will result in waitlist movement!

I can verify your observations. I think in early March I counted like 88 people and 3 or 4 MD/PHD. now there is indeed only 80 MDs and 1 MD/PhD. How big was last year's class at A&M? Anybody know?

basten0 said:
I can verify your observations. I think in early March I counted like 88 people and 3 or 4 MD/PHD. now there is indeed only 80 MDs and 1 MD/PhD. How big was last year's class at A&M? Anybody know?

A friend of mine told me A&M had 84 students last year, but I don't know the breakdown of MDs and MD/PhDs or if it even includes MD/PhDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump bump bumpity..Is anyone alive out there??

I emailed Dean Maldonado the other day and here's what he said about the waitlist:

The class is currently at exactly 80 which is our class size. I anticipate very little to no movement from our current class

So yeah...not looking good for those of us on the A&M waitlist :(

lispha said:
I emailed Dean Maldonado the other day and here's what he said about the waitlist:

The class is currently at exactly 80 which is our class size. I anticipate very little to no movement from our current class

This is bad news. Is it just me or has it been really hard getting onto the forum the last couple of days.

lispha said:

:(

For the record, yes, the site was down for a couple of days. Hopefully everything will be good to go from now on.

basten0 said:
Is it just me or does there seem to be less waitlist movement this year.
:)

One more slot will be opening up at Tech very, very soon. :thumbup:

Keep The Faith

UT San Antonio has already pulled around 7 ppl off the waitlist...

unfortunately... I wasn't one of the 7. I'm thinkin' bout throwing in the towel already...

I'll wait until June 15th to see what happens... :(

txkiwieyes said:
UT San Antonio has already pulled around 7 ppl off the waitlist...

unfortunately... I wasn't one of the 7. I'm thinkin' bout throwing in the towel already...

I'll wait until June 15th to see what happens... :(

Neither was I... :(

I just wanted to let everyone know that UTMB has seen some waitlist movement. I recieved a phone call from them last Thursday evening, so keep the faith the fight isn't over yet :luck:

chiefhotmango said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that UTMB has seen some waitlist movement. I recieved a phone call from them last Thursday evening, so keep the faith the fight isn't over yet :luck:

Thanks for letting us know. Did you accept?

Good News! I am finally a member of the TCOM Class of 2009!

Here's to all the movement off the waitlists!! :thumbup:

Don't give up yet, it isn't over till classes start. :luck:

Suppose I am waitlisted at two schools, school A and school B. I have ranked school A over school B. After June 15th, I get a call from school B, and I accept. I'm guessing I automatically get dropped from school A now since its post June 15th, right? If that's the case, it's first come first serve :eek:

DrateR | ****** said:
Suppose I am waitlisted at two schools, school A and school B. I have ranked school A over school B. After June 15th, I get a call from school B, and I accept. I'm guessing I automatically get dropped from school A now since its post June 15th, right? If that's the case, it's first come first serve :eek:

HOLY GIZZARDS!!!! waitlist movement at Galveston!!! thats the last thing i was expecting. well actually the last thing i was expecting was me actually getting off one of these waitlists. what do y'all think? did galveston lose like 13 people or are they just taking people off the waitlist even though they're still at like 213 or something? DrateR, in referece to your question, your TMDSAS rankings have no effect anymore. they were only used for the match and after the match is over, they have no effect on anything. Thus if you don't hear from schools A and B by June 15th but then hear from both after June 15th, you can choose to go to which ever one you want to (i mean if this happens you'll probably hear from one before the other but you will not be dropped from any waitlists if you don't accept a spot before June 15th.). Good luck DrateR

basten0 said:
HOLY GIZZARDS!!!! waitlist movement at Galveston!!! thats the last thing i was expecting. well actually the last thing i was expecting was me actually getting off one of these waitlists. what do y'all think? did galveston lose like 13 people or are they just taking people off the waitlist even though they're still at like 213 or something? DrateR, in referece to your question, your TMDSAS rankings have no effect anymore. they were only used for the match and after the match is over, they have no effect on anything. Thus if you don't hear from schools A and B by June 15th but then hear from both after June 15th, you can choose to go to which ever one you want to (i mean if this happens you'll probably hear from one before the other but you will not be dropped from any waitlists if you don't accept a spot before June 15th.). Good luck DrateR

Don't know what to make out of the UTMB movement either..thehopeful said on june 4 that utmb told her they were over by 13 one or two weeks ago. So, it wouldve been 12 days for the movement to occur exactly two weeks ago from june 4 (chiefhotmango got called on June 2). That's a lot of ppl dropping out in that short of a time, especially when movement has been really slow since the match. Let's hope they arent oversubscribed anymore though!

UT Southwestern has taken several off their wait list recently, and I think what you're seeing at Galveston and other schools is a trickle-down effect.

basten0 said:
wait, I'm confused. Did you get off the waitlist???

DrateR | ****** said:
Don't know what to make out of the UTMB movement either..thehopeful said on june 4 that utmb told her they were over by 13 one or two weeks ago. So, it wouldve been 12 days for the movement to occur exactly two weeks ago from june 4 (chiefhotmango got called on June 2). That's a lot of ppl dropping out in that short of a time, especially when movement has been really slow since the match. Let's hope they arent oversubscribed anymore though!

yeah, they did tell me that there were 213 people and that there would be no movement. several people told me there would be no movement adn told me to reapply. obvisouly that was bunch of baloney.
I think UTMB may have taken people off even thought they are overaccepted. that's what UTH did, they took 2 people off and as of a few weeks ago they said they had 210 people.

I think these people do whatever they want, i presume they go over people's app one last time for "fun" and see something they may like in someone's app, and they may select or not.

I thought their "rules" were we won't select anyone from waitlist unless we go below our number. i know they don't follow any rules set by "others" but i thought they would at least follow the rules they set.
another thing to frusturate, torture, anger and many many .... many more do to us, pre-meds.

anyone feel similar way. anyone feel/support my feelings/perception.

EvoDevo said:

Unfortunately, I believe that's a No. This person was reacting to someone who did get off UTMB's watlist. It just seemed that UTMB was not gonna have any waitlist movement this year.

EvoDevo said:

no no, I haven't gotten off of anything. I am just shocked there was waitlist movement at galveston. hoping to see more of the trickle down effect from southwestern paying off.

Hi everyone....I am currently at the pre-matric program for UTMB and they told us last week that they were given permission to expand the class size to 210. They also told us that they could call people up to the first day of class to fill to that number. Keep the faith........I bet there will be more movement!!! Good luck everyone :D

basten0 said:
no no, I haven't gotten off of anything. I am just shocked there was waitlist movement at galveston. hoping to see more of the trickle down effect from southwestern paying off.
Sorry, man. Well, it's not over 'till it's over. :luck:

wdarli said:
Hi everyone....I am currently at the pre-matric program for UTMB and they told us last week that they were given permission to expand the class size to 210. They also told us that they could call people up to the first day of class to fill to that number. Keep the faith........I bet there will be more movement!!! Good luck everyone :D

I heard this too! :)

wdarli said:

Thanks wdarli. hey whats the pre-matric program like? where can i get more information on that? Good luck next week everyone.

baylorshannon said:
How big was Galveston's class originally?

I think we're all thinking it would be like 200, maybe +1, +2. When I started applying to medical school, I remember being told that the size of each UT school would be 200 per class. But i know southwestern had a huge class last year (i think close to 220, anybody got an exact figure?). I don't how the other UT schools have been doing. In the end its all a big mystery to me. anybody watch the spurs school the pistons tonight?

Alright, so the texas schools have the rest of today, tomorrow and the day after to take whomever they want off of their current waitlist. has anybody heard anything?

i have a feeling most of the TX schools (except Baylor) are slowly increasing enrollment. Last year, UTSW had close to 220 in the entering class. Good luck to all!! :luck: :luck:

MadameLULU said:
i have a feeling most of the TX schools (except Baylor) are slowly increasing enrollment. Last year, UTSW had close to 220 in the entering class. Good luck to all!! :luck: :luck:

Has Baylor taken anyone off? If so, they don't seem to be posting here. Two days left.

basten0 said:
Thanks wdarli. hey whats the pre-matric program like? where can i get more information on that? Good luck next week everyone.

Check out the UTMB thread if you want an assessment of prematric. Basically, it's a 6-week intro to all of our first year classes. I'm glad I'm taking it, although it's a little harrowing at times.

basten0 said:
Alright, so the texas schools have the rest of today, tomorrow and the day after to take whomever they want off of their current waitlist. has anybody heard anything?
Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.