The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if we can *eventually* come up with a standard one that even includes EC's... I wish we could get exact numbers (and hours) that most osteo schools want.

Wow your MD apps looks super nice compared to mine

Members don't see this ad.

I have a D in an undergrad non-prereq and I just got CCOM's secondary yesterday. So "no grade lower than a C-" must only apply to the pre-reqs or I would have been screened out, right?

Or they just want your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do I steal it? :)

Right click > View Source, and you're looking for this:

<h1 style="padding: 0 0 2px 0; border-bottom: 3px solid #993300; width: 100%;">Extra-Curricular Activities</h1><br /><p class="blue" style="font-size: 16px;">Research</p><br /><div class="green" style="color: #3f682e; font-weight: bold; padding-bottom: -5px; margin-bottom: -10px;">Extraction of Phthalates from Plastic using HPLC (200 hours)</div><br />Researched food and liquid contaminants leached from plastic using high performance liquid chromatography for my senior research project, which included a poster and oral presentation. I earned a certificate of excellence for my research and was selected as a participant in the spring undergraduate research and creativity celebration held at Keystone College.<br /><br /><p class="blue" style="font-size: 16px;">Physician Shadowing</p><br /><div class="green" style="color: #3f682e; font-weight: bold; padding-bottom: -5px; margin-bottom: -10px;">2011t: Osteopathic Physicians (200 hours)</div><br />Shadowed two internal medicine Osteopathic physicians who operated a patient-centered medical clinic. Both used OMT regularly (at least once per day).<br /><br />

I might just update the MDapps: DO List thread with something easier, like:

<h1 style="padding: 0 0 2px 0; border-bottom: 3px solid #993300; width: 100%;">TITLE</h1>
<p class="blue" style="font-size: 16px;">SUBTITLE</p>
<div class="green" style="color: #3f682e; font-weight: bold; padding-bottom: -5px; margin-bottom: -10px;">SUB-SUBTITLE</div>
DESCRIBING TEXT HERE.

<p class="blue" style="font-size: 16px;">SUBTITLE</p>
<div class="green" style="color: #3f682e; font-weight: bold; padding-bottom: -5px; margin-bottom: -10px;">SUB-SUBTITLE</div>
DESCRIBING TEXT HERE

On my MDapps, "TITLE" is "Extracurricular Activities," "SUBTITLE" is "Research" and "SUB-SUBTITLE" is the actual research project name. You'd paste this into the "Update Demographics" > "Brief Profile" text-box.

If you copy/paste those over and over again, you can make your MDapp look pretty spiffy. I also have anchor links and bolded text, images, etc added on mine which all show up under the View Source command you can hijack.

Update: verified gpas: sgpa 3.21 cgpa: 2.87 mcat Friday

Below are the additional factors to add to the formula I originally created (TwinsFan score :D not Lizzy) to make the scoring as complete as easily possible. I created this after carefully looking through statistics in the osteopathic CIB guide and from the AAMC for comparison and modeling, observing trends with past underdogs and my own experience talking to a couple of adcoms. It is not full proof at all, but it aims to give a more comprehensive predictor of if you are "academically qualified" or an underdog.

VBGLL see below

However, outliers cause issues. A 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA with an 22 on the MCAT will be a underdog, but according to a simple formula it will compute as a competitive score. To combat this we will add several modifiers to compensate for people with unbalanced stats.

-1 point MCAT overall 24
-2 points MCAT overall 23
-3 points MCAT overall 22
-1.5 points Every section on the MCAT that scores a 7
-3 points Every section on the MCAT that scores a 6
-1 point cGPA 3.00-3.19
-3 points cGPA 2.85 - 2.99
-5 points cGPA 2.75 - 2.84
-1 point sGPA 3.00-3.09
-3 points sGPA 2.85 - 2.99
-5 points sGPA 2.75 - 2.84

Additional factors:
MCAT overall scores < 22 will be screened out by nearly every school and will not be rated
MCAT sectional scores < 6 will be screened out by nearly every school and will not be rated
cGPA or sGPA < 2.75 will be screened out by nearly every school and will not be rated

Ok so factoring that in, I have an 86.

Lets do this =D

Members don't see this ad :)
new to sdn... not sure how, seeing as this is my 3rd yr applying in a row. Hoping this is the year. 3.0s/3.3c/ 27 (9/9/9) and the first time a 27 (10v/9p/8b). had hardly any EC's undergrad other than varsity sport, now have completed 3 clinical research projects likely to be published, volunteer hrs, and taken biochem and got an A. Econ undergrad major, wasted money applying the first two times (i say two, i only applied to one school the first time applying) glad to find other underdogs for getting in. hoping for OUCOM, CCOM, or Nova...

Last edited:
new to sdn... not sure how, seeing as this is my 3rd yr applying in a row. Hoping this is the year. 3.3s/3.4c/ 27 (9/9/9) and the first time a 27 (10v/9p/8b). had hardly any EC's undergrad other than varsity sport, now have completed 3 clinical research projects likely to be published, volunteer hrs, and taken biochem and got an A. Econ undergrad major, wasted money applying the first two times (i say two, i only applied to one school the first time applying) glad to find other underdogs for getting in. hoping for OUCOM, CCOM, or Nova...

you only applied to one school the first time? what happened the second? you have pretty good stats : O

new to sdn... not sure how, seeing as this is my 3rd yr applying in a row. Hoping this is the year. 3.3s/3.4c/ 27 (9/9/9) and the first time a 27 (10v/9p/8b). had hardly any EC's undergrad other than varsity sport, now have completed 3 clinical research projects likely to be published, volunteer hrs, and taken biochem and got an A. Econ undergrad major, wasted money applying the first two times (i say two, i only applied to one school the first time applying) glad to find other underdogs for getting in. hoping for OUCOM, CCOM, or Nova...

Cheers. Third timer here too. I'll root for you. Good luck!

you only applied to one school the first time? what happened the second? you have pretty good stats : O

i was still an idiot and waited to apply until after getting back my scores in October to start my apps... didn't get some secondaries in until December, was told by a few places that had I gotten them in early I might have gotten an interview... applied as soon as it opened this year, have all of the secondary essays done before i got them so I can send those in same day I receive them.

fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, i was a *****, there won't be a 3rd time...:xf:

I kind of want to make a fb group for the 2012 underdogs. GOOD IDEA OR AWESOME IDEA?

I kind of want to make a fb group for the 2012 underdogs. GOOD IDEA OR AWESOME IDEA?

You just want to say be able to say that you're the president of a huge online organization.

Hey all,

Just thought I'd throw my stats out there too for the conversation.

I'm a Canadian applying to MSUCOM. Only one school this year because I'm missing a physics course and from what I read my MCAT is too old for some schools.

3.11 sgpa 3.03 cgpa 31O (11VR, 10PS, 10BS)

So I think that puts my TF score at 91?

2255 hours of volunteering, 1200 for sports and I put 2300 hours more as volunteering at a summer camp that was 24 hours a day, 6 days a week for a summer. Worked all through high school and undergrad and put myself as financially disadvantaged.

Good luck to everyone, I love the encouragement from hearing people get in.

Hey all,

Just thought I'd throw my stats out there too for the conversation.

I'm a Canadian applying to MSUCOM. Only one school this year because I'm missing a physics course and from what I read my MCAT is too old for some schools.

3.11 sgpa 3.03 cgpa 31O (11VR, 10PS, 10BS)

So I think that puts my TF score at 91?

2255 hours of volunteering, 1200 for sports and I put 2300 hours more as volunteering at a summer camp that was 24 hours a day, 6 days a week for a summer. Worked all through high school and undergrad and put myself as financially disadvantaged.

Good luck to everyone, I love the encouragement from hearing people get in.

I would suggest you add some more schools. You can talk to schools and explain your situation.

Just joined.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I would totally join.. If I had a facebook.

I guess I'll just have to show my support on SDN.

just joined the FB group too! It'll help us keep pushing each other forward through the long months ahead!

good luck everyone. My stats are ok for DO but I still feel like an underdog. Rooting for ya'll from the outside.

Even though im not a UD I'll join. Underdogs ftw!!