The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh no I was definitely planning, its just that I was wondering if seeing the previous 13O would prevent me from gaining acceptance even if I make around a 26-28. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Some schools only look at the most recent set and some look at both. Either way to go from a 13 to a 28 or a 29 (if that's your goal) is a HUGE difference. I think that if anything they'll just want to know why the first score was so low (have a reason not an excuse) and how you managed to improve so much. If anything, in my opinion, it will only show schools that you are determined to be a doctor and that you are capable at looking at your own weaknesses and finding ways to improve on them.

Members don't see this ad.

If I retook in September would I still have a chance for this cycle? and would the 13O keep me from getting acceptance even with a higher score?

What were you averaging before the test? Sept is pretty late, but if you have a very high mcat I don't see why not. But don't rush, take it when you feel comfortable and are ready and don't let the 13 discourage you!

How do I look? Retake and do Post Bac or just do Post Bac?

Didn't study and I got a 23P I am wondering what I should do?

Undergraduate
Science GPA 3.14
Non Science GPA 3.48
Overall GPA 3.39

Masters- MBA in Health Care Administration
GPA 4.00

Overall I would say I have ok experience and EC's. I played college football (DII) for two years, student government and NCAA rep for 1 year, hospital volunteering 500 hours, high school tutor 200 hours, college tutor 100 hours, and I worked throughout college.

Hey, not sure if anyone gave you a real answer yet, but if I were in your situation I'd:

Retake a few classes...one more semester since you'll have some time. You'll most likely not get in this time, but as a re-applicant myself I can tell you it's bad, but not too bad to re-do this horrid process. It's a refiners fire of sorts;).

Don't do a formal post bacc just take classes.

And yes, take the MCAT. I'd suggest using Kaplan or something official-they seem to really work and you are just a few points away from being golden.

In any case, good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
^ I don't understand your signature??

Hi everyone!

cGPA 3.54

sGPA 3.68

cGPA last 80 hours 3.92

MCAT....7,7,7 = 21 :( totally freakedout

Retake on July 27th

Strong application. ER tech since 2010, BLS instructor, just got hired atKCUMB's Micro Lab, good LORs, lots of presentations, one publication, pendingone more.

I'm afraid of f-ing up the MCAT again…material is not my problem, timing andreading comprehension. I'm originally from Iraq, so English is my secondlanguage.

Help!!!

Hi everyone!

cGPA 3.54

sGPA 3.68

cGPA last 80 hours 3.92

Retake on July 27th

Strong application. ER tech since 2010, BLS instructor, just got hired atKCUMB's Micro Lab, good LORs, lots of presentations, one publication, pendingone more.

I’m afraid of f-ing up the MCAT again…material is not my problem, timing andreading comprehension. I’m originally from Iraq, so English is my secondlanguage.

Help!!!

You have a solid GPA for DO. For now, I'd recommend focusing on the MCAT. Also, another thing worth mentioning, I didn't see any volunteering in your EC's. ER tech is good patient contact, maybe get some shadowing in as well in your down time from the MCAT prep.

^ I don't understand your signature??

The short answer is that Osteopathic medicine and Apple computers (now Apple, inc.) share a similar history and in my mind a parallel advantage or niche opportunity.

Apple was started because a couple of guys thought that the status quo wasn't good enough, or wasn't the right way to do things. They thought IBM was cold and disconnected from the common person.

So they set out to build a company that delivered technology, just like IBM (and later Microsoft) but they made it more personal. They called it a blend of tech and art.

Apple ends up being the company that leads the way in tech, not by numbers, but by quality and innovation. And now, while they aren't for everyone, they are respected as sought after.

I think DOs have a similar past and have similar future opportunities in the medical world.

Oh, and maybe android(google) is the chiropractors ;) haha

Last edited:
Just got my mcat was hoping for higher but ehh. Got a 26 9 PS 9VR 8 BS. My gpas turned out to be 3.25 cum 3.29 science.

So i guess im def an underdog but im going to go for it and apply to 10-15 schools. Im already verified so at least im early. My ECs arent bad and my letters are good I think. So hopefully i have some success. Hopefully i get some interviews lol

Hi everyone!

cGPA 3.54

sGPA 3.68

cGPA last 80 hours 3.92

Retake on July 27th

I’m afraid of f-ing up the MCAT again…material is not my problem, timing andreading comprehension. I’m originally from Iraq, so English is my secondlanguage.

Help!!!

If timing is a problem, then material is also a problem. If you really know the material you won't take too much time to solve the problems. Study hard learn all the material like the back of your hand before July 27.

Just got my mcat was hoping for higher but ehh. Got a 26 9 PS 9VR 8 BS. My gpas turned out to be 3.25 cum 3.29 science.

So i guess im def an underdog but im going to go for it and apply to 10-15 schools. Im already verified so at least im early. My ECs arent bad and my letters are good I think. So hopefully i have some success. Hopefully i get some interviews lol

Hey nice work, I think you're in pretty good shape to get in somewhere!

Pullin for you man! You definitely have a shot. Make a MDapp to keep track of your apps, and post it here.

If you haven't looked into LMU and WVSOM I think it's worth it. They are more rural but their students seem really happy there and their match lists are decent. Their average MCAT is on the lower side at like 24 and 25 I believe

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you guys I really appreciate it! I'm going to make a MD apps in a few days so I can help future underdogs that end up in my shoes; i know how easy it can be to get discouraged. Theres always hope though. And ill for sure post it there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi everyone!

cGPA 3.54

sGPA 3.68

cGPA last 80 hours 3.92

Retake on July 27th

I'm afraid of f-ing up the MCAT again…material is not my problem, timing andreading comprehension. I'm originally from Iraq, so English is my secondlanguage.

Help!!!

Seems like there's a bit of both problems here. If I may ask, how do you perform on the discretes in BS/PS?

Your VR isn't great, but not terrible, considering ESL. Even with more difficulty reading some material, a portion of the PS/BS passage questions are pseudo-discretes, and shouldn't take too much longer to figure out(with your science background).

What were your FL averages going in? If you can't score near your target once, then you should postpone until you can get a better grasp on the reading comp. IMO.

Not too bad judgesmails. You'll be ok.

i think you will get multiple interviews. good luck!:thumbup:

Feeling extremely upset and lost. I just got back my MCAT score today and I ended up scoring 13O. I knew I should have voided because I was completely not in the right state of mind before the exam and could not concentrate after an extremely difficult PS. Anyways, I wanted to get a honest opinion of whether I have a chance at D.O. schools. Ideally I would like to go to LECOM. I have a 3.3 sGPA and several hours of volunteer hours/shadowing and research.
Did you study at all? What was the breakdown? If you can get a 25+, I think most schools wont care about that 13O.

If you haven't looked into LMU and WVSOM I think it's worth it. They are more rural but they're students seem really happy there and they're match lists are decent. Their average MCAT is on the lower side at like 24 and 25 I believe
Do these schools take OOS students?

Do these schools take OOS students?

LMU has somewhat of a regional basis but they still have people from all over the place. WVSOM is a state school so if your out of state the tuition price is a killer but they still have a lot of OOS.

Thanks for the support guys. And yeah im very outspoken/opinionated but everyone has their faults.

Feeling extremely upset and lost. I just got back my MCAT score today and I ended up scoring 13O. I knew I should have voided because I was completely not in the right state of mind before the exam and could not concentrate after an extremely difficult PS. Anyways, I wanted to get a honest opinion of whether I have a chance at D.O. schools. Ideally I would like to go to LECOM. I have a 3.3 sGPA and several hours of volunteer hours/shadowing and research.

Don't give up. I increased my second mcat by six points, and medpr for example, went from a pretty good 28 to an even better sick 33.

work hard man

How do I look? Retake and do Post Bac or just do Post Bac?

Didn't study and I got a 23P I am wondering what I should do?

Undergraduate
Science GPA 3.14
Non Science GPA 3.48
Overall GPA 3.39

Masters- MBA in Health Care Administration
GPA 4.00

Overall I would say I have ok experience and EC's. I played college football (DII) for two years, student government and NCAA rep for 1 year, hospital volunteering 500 hours, high school tutor 200 hours, college tutor 100 hours, and I worked throughout college.

When did you take the prereqs?

In my eyes you're not an underdog, you're basically just hovering below average. If you apply to around 10-15 DO schools you should have a decent chance of getting in, especially if you're complete before Mid July. Not to mention if you're from Florida you have two schools near you that are around your stats, i.e NSU ( 3.4/27 and takes 50% of it's class from Florida) and LECOM-B ( 3.5/26).

2009-2010

Seems like you may need more of an SMP-type program. Post-bacc progs are traditionally for people that never took the prereqs in undergrad, or possibly too long ago.

Your work is still relatively recent. Unless you had any isolated awful grades pulling your GPA down, a masters in biomed-sci program might be your best bet. IMO.

Honestly with a 13O there is no shot in getting in anywhere. Most D.O. schools are raising the bar and anything below a 24 probably won't happen. It always sucks hearing this but you need to retake it. I personally couldn't afford a full blown Kaplan course so I used course saver(google it it's amazing). Keep your head up and do lots of questions and practice tests. When you're consistently getting 27-30 on your MCAT practice tests take it again.

I want to give you some alternative advice that you can think about as well.

First, I want to preface it by saying that Im a re-applicant and I encourage everyone to follow their dreams and aspirations as I have done. But, one of the biggest choices in your life is what do you want to be when you grow up, and sometimes our decisions are influenced by outside forces that can lead us to pursue something that we don't really want, or don't fit into.

So, that being said...I don't know you or your goals. But, if someone I knew got a 13 on the MCAT the first thing I would do is help them figure out two things...

One: do you really need to be a doctor? Or do you like healthcare?

Two: Why did you get a 13? This is very very low. You would need to basically double your score to have a shot to get into a DO school. So, is this a reality for you?

My advice, really look at Podiatry. Pretty sweet gig, still a doctor and still make good money. And their MCAT scores might be in range of your capabilities.

It sucks to hear it at first, but there is a reality that not everyone who wants to can be a doctor. So, please take a while and think and talk to your life mentors etc.

OK, now that thats said. If you decide you want to be a doctor and you don't care if you have to sell your car and blood to take a Kaplan course (or even private tutoring, which is very expensive), you don't care if it takes you the next 2-3 years to get your goal score (not that it will, but it might) because thats what you want out of life...you have my support! And I wish you good luck and perseverance through it!

If you decide to do something like Podiatry, I also support you in that! Its also very rewarding and people love it.

Anyway, this was a long post because I didn't want you to think that I was discouraging you...but I do think you have a BIG decision to make, and maybe being a doctor is not in your future.

:thumbup:

Seems like you may need more of an SMP-type program. Post-bacc progs are traditionally for people that never took the prereqs in undergrad, or possibly too long ago.

Your work is still relatively recent. Unless you had any isolated awful grades pulling your GPA down, a masters in biomed-sci program might be your best bet. IMO.

That's me

First, I want to preface it by saying that Im a re-applicant and I encourage everyone to follow their dreams and aspirations as I have done. But, one of the biggest choices in your life is what do you want to be when you grow up, and sometimes our decisions are influenced by outside forces that can lead us to pursue something that we don't really want, or don't fit into.

So, that being said...I don't know you or your goals. But, if someone I knew got a 13 on the MCAT the first thing I would do is help them figure out two things...

Two: Why did you get a 13? This is very very low. You would need to basically double your score to have a shot to get into a DO school. So, is this a reality for you?

My advice, really look at Podiatry. Pretty sweet gig, still a doctor and still make good money. And their MCAT scores might be in range of your capabilities.

It sucks to hear it at first, but there is a reality that not everyone who wants to can be a doctor. So, please take a while and think and talk to your life mentors etc.

OK, now that thats said. If you decide you want to be a doctor and you don't care if you have to sell your car and blood to take a Kaplan course (or even private tutoring, which is very expensive), you don't care if it takes you the next 2-3 years to get your goal score (not that it will, but it might) because thats what you want out of life...you have my support! And I wish you good luck and perseverance through it!

If you decide to do something like Podiatry, I also support you in that! Its also very rewarding and people love it.

Anyway, this was a long post because I didn't want you to think that I was discouraging you...but I do think you have a BIG decision to make, and maybe being a doctor is not in your future.

According to the MCAT section, he/she was averaging 28.

Don't give up. I increased my second mcat by six points, and medpr for example, went from a pretty good 28 to an even better sick 33.

work hard man

Thanks! appreciate the encouragement...how did you study for the second MCAT?

I was averaging about 26-28 on my practice exams. The reason I scored so low was because I found out that my friend passed away and had forced myself to get through the exam when I should have voided. Really regret not voiding. I know medicine is what I want to do and specifically osteopathic medicine. So I am going to work hard to get back into studying for the September exam and really hope I still have a shot at this application cycle since I already have my application submitted and verified.

Thanks for your advice!

!!!!!!! Just looked at my verified AACOMAS and realized that I didn't get a D in Bio 2. I got a C :) 2 C's in bio pre-reqs (Evolutionary Bio/Bio 2), One B- (Cellular Physiology), One B+ (Comparative Anatomy) and 4 As (Genetics, Micro, A&P1, A&P 2)

According to the MCAT section, he/she was averaging 28.

I was averaging about 26-28 on my practice exams. The reason I scored so low was because I found out that my friend passed away and had forced myself to get through the exam when I should have voided. Really regret not voiding. I know medicine is what I want to do and specifically osteopathic medicine. So I am going to work hard to get back into studying for the September exam and really hope I still have a shot at this application cycle since I already have my application submitted and verified.

Thanks for your advice!

Awesome, well it sounds like you are motivated and are on your way to success!

Good luck during your journey and keep us all posted with your progress. :)

!!!!!!! Just looked at my verified AACOMAS and realized that I didn't get a D in Bio 2. I got a C :) 2 C's in bio pre-reqs (Evolutionary Bio/Bio 2), One B- (Cellular Physiology), One B+ (Comparative Anatomy) and 4 As (Genetics, Micro, A&P1, A&P 2)

CONGRATS! why would you even think that you got a D when you never did?

Thanks for your advice!

If this is what you were averaging , then most definitely RETAKE. if you want some inspiration then I can attest to the fact that it is VERY possible to raise your score significantly; I raised my 22 to a 32 on my retake within few months. Don't let one bad score take away your dreams. GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

If this is what you were averaging , then most definitely RETAKE. if you want some inspiration then I can attest to the fact that it is VERY possible to raise your score significantly; I raised my 22 to a 32 on my retake within few months. Don't let one bad score take away your dreams. GOOD LUCK:thumbup:

Eeek. I dunno, that's just a huge outlier. Did you panic? Even if the PS threw a curve ball, the BS is right there as well. A previous poster was correct, you need to do some honest souls searching, if you were indeed scoring 26-28 on practice.

Were your FL's under real conditions? No "home-game" amenities? (flexible clock, food, coffee, etc)

You just found $100 in your pocket! Awesome.

How the heck did you screw that one up???

I love this thread! Everyone is so positive and encouraging!

My "underdog" street cred I guess will be determined once I get my MCAT score but here is my standing so far:

Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2
Non Science: 3.59
MCAT: Took it on June 21st

My upward trend is really good. I had a 4.0 my entire senior year but my sophomore year I got a D, C-, a few more C's and a W. I re-took the D and W but the C- is still there. I was also only carrying 11 credits for two semesters during my junior year because I got really sick.

I have lots of clinical experience, volunteer time, and was an endocrinology teaching assistant. I also have quite a unique personal story. I'm hoping that my MCAT score comes through for me! I'm really nervous about it though because of that darn verbal section! Fingers crossed. Thank you all for being so positive on this thread. It's really encouraging. I have been trying so hard to make up for previous "hiccups" in my academic record. Now I can just anxiously wait for my MCAT score...

I took the MCAT on June 21st too (2pm'er)... ended up voiding it, the PS section was crazy. Taking it again August 10th... last shot.

Welcome to the world of underdoggies.

Is the C- in a pre-req? Just make sure the schools you are applying to don't have a definitive cut-off at "C or better." Regardless, about the C's... you're not the only one with C's on your record. :)

Is the C- in a pre-req? Just make sure the schools you are applying to don't have a definitive cut-off at "C or better." Regardless, about the C's... you're not the only one with C's on your record. :)
That's the part I don't understand actually. I got it in a lower level bio that was required for my major but I have taken tons of bio classes since then that meet the requirements for medical schools. I have more than enough bio classes to make up for the C- that they didn't accept. So I'm not sure what to do with it.

I took the MCAT on June 21st too (2pm'er)... ended up voiding it, the PS section was crazy. Taking it again August 10th... last shot.
Good luck on your next attempt!! That PS section was interesting. I agree. haha. I REAAALLLY don't want to have to take the MCAT again. I'm so anxious for my scores.

Wondering if I am considered underdog or average

sGPA 3.19 cGPA 3.36 non-science GPA 3.49

MCAT: TBD (took it June 21st) but my full length scores were a range from 23-26 and rather uneven: super high in verbal and then like 6s and 7s in BS

I have 0 research experience, but lots of clinical. A ton of EC with leadership experience.

Somewhat of an upperward trend in GPA- seriously sucked it up my first semester of college with a 2.8 then have gotten better as time went on. I am currently retaking 3 classes I got Cs in for grade replacement and they are all science so that should boost my sGPA quite a bit.

What do you think my chances are? My dream would be KCOM or DMU

oh and im not an urm unless being queer counts lol

You'll probably be an underdog with your MCAT science scores and GPA. No research won't kill you at a osteo school. Retaking the C's looks good. See how this MCAT went (esp. since I took the June 21st MCAT and some of the bio/phys topics were insane).

But it's nice to see someone who scores like I do (high in VR, low in sciences - though my last MCAT I went down in VR... just a one-time test fluke I am hoping)...

just got my mcat retake... 22N

3.65sGPA 3.56cGPA

Above average EC's (2 research projects, 500+ hours shadowing, work in the medical field, publication/presentation)

I'm going for it either way..but do yall think i should retake? my AAMC range was 22-29. I know i can do better! but im sorta burnt out and dont want it to stall my early app

How was it broken down? Sorry your score was at the low range of your practices :( That sucks, but it could be worse... could have been like me and scored even lower :smuggrin::rolleyes::(

Seems like there's a bit of both problems here. If I may ask, how do you perform on the discretes in BS/PS?

Your VR isn't great, but not terrible, considering ESL. Even with more difficulty reading some material, a portion of the PS/BS passage questions are pseudo-discretes, and shouldn't take too much longer to figure out(with your science background).

What were your FL averages going in? If you can't score near your target once, then you should postpone until you can get a better grasp on the reading comp. IMO.

I normally kill the discrete. My AAMC exams ranged from 20-28, I think my average was 24. I normally kill PS/BS (9s and 11s), but VR is what kills me. I was shocked at the breakdown.