The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to add that there is a difference between doing an MS program and doing WELL in it. Nothing's guaranteed, and you could do worse and waste big money.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to add that there is a difference between doing an MS program and doing WELL in it. Nothing's guaranteed, and you could do worse and waste big money.

This is a good point. I completely agree.

There are people in my class who did poorly and it negatively affected them in my opinion. Those were only a few though. The majority of people could handle it, so don't let the fear of failing scare you away people :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted at NYCOM today!! 3.26s, 3.21c, 25O.

This is why I like when people to post numbers/ where they were accepted, so I can get a sense of how competitive different schools are and can help others with school selections. As NYCOM's averages are 3.6/28 I am truly shocked you were interviewed, accepted, and accepted outright this late. Had I not seen your post, I probably would have wrongly told someone with lower numbers to cross off NYCOM, but now I'll be sure to advise underdogs from NY to try applying there in the future.

Last edited:
This is why I like when people to post numbers/ where they were accepted, so I can get a sense of how competitive different schools are and can help others with school selections. As NYCOM's averages are 3.6/28 I am truly shocked you were interviewed, accepted, and accepted outright this late. Had I not seen your post, I probably would have wrongly told someone with lower numbers to cross off NYCOM, but now I'll be sure to advise underdogs from NY to try applying there in the future.

Believe me, I wrote it off for a long time as well for the same reasons! I honestly still can't believe I got interviewed, much less accepted! I really hope someone else sees my stats and has some hope! Get on those extra curriculars and be yourself in the interview!

EDIT: also, I submitted my primary the very first day applications opened, and submitted my secondary around August. I truly think this made a difference because NYCOM was on an interviewing delay due to Hurricane Sandy. Get those apps in early!

Believe me, I wrote it off for a long time as well for the same reasons! I honestly still can't believe I got interviewed, much less accepted! I really hope someone else sees my stats and has some hope! Get on those extra curriculars and be yourself in the interview!

EDIT: also, I submitted my primary the very first day applications opened, and submitted my secondary around August. I truly think this made a difference because NYCOM was on an interviewing delay due to Hurricane Sandy. Get those apps in early!

Congrats...How many interview invites did you have? And how many acceptances?

Congrats...How many interview invites did you have? And how many acceptances?

Thanks! 2 iis (LECOM and NYCOM) and one acceptance from NYCOM. I never really heard back at all from LECOM because I never sent them a DO letter, so my application was never complete.

Thanks! 2 iis (LECOM and NYCOM) and one acceptance from NYCOM. I never really heard back at all from LECOM because I never sent them a DO letter, so my application was never complete.

a couple things confuse me...

1. why did you only apply to 6 schools?
2. why, at one of the schools you did receive an interview, did you drag your feet with sending a DO letter?

I am not judging you, but it just does not seem (for an UD) like you were very hungry or serious about landing an acceptance. I would have applied to at least 10 more schools with your numbers, and made sure to complete any requirements asap.

You should consider yourself fortunate not because of your numbers, but because you disadvantaged yourself by applying narrowly and not completing your file at one of the schools that interviewed you.

Future UD's... make sure to apply broadly and complete all of your files as early as you can.

a couple things confuse me...

1. why did you only apply to 6 schools?
2. why, at one of the schools you did receive an interview, did you drag your feet with sending a DO letter?

I am not judging you, but it just does not seem (for an UD) like you were very hungry or serious about landing an acceptance. I would have applied to at least 10 more schools with your numbers, and made sure to complete any requirements asap.

You should consider yourself fortunate not because of your numbers, but because you disadvantaged yourself by applying narrowly and not completing your file at one of the schools that interviewed you.

Future UD's... make sure to apply broadly and complete all of your files as early as you can.

I didn't have the money to apply to any more schools, and I just never shadowed a DO and didn't realize that they required one, so I didn't have a letter to send. And yes, I was hungry for an acceptance. I have over 1000 volunteer hours and over 3 years of research experience. Don't assume I was just being lazy. Although I agree, other UDs should apply broadly if they have the ability to.

I'm....really really late to this thread but I considered myself an underdog the whole way through this so I might as well throw my stats in as well. I have a 3.4 cGPA, a 3.0 sGPA, and a 28 MCAT. I sent secondaries to CCOM, AZCOM, UNECOME, LECOM, Touro-CA, and KCOM. I only received an interview at LECOM (interviewed in January) and was then also accepted.

So..no longer the underdog :)

I didn't have the money to apply to any more schools, and I just never shadowed a DO and didn't realize that they required one, so I didn't have a letter to send. And yes, I was hungry for an acceptance. I have over 1000 volunteer hours and over 3 years of research experience. Don't assume I was just being lazy. Although I agree, other UDs should apply broadly if they have the ability to.

I also did not have the money to apply to as many schools as I did however I applied for the financial assistance and put a lot (most) of the debt from applications and secondaries onto a credit card.

Applying twice would have been more expensive then doing it right the first time. That being said congrats on your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did not have the money to apply to as many schools as I did however I applied for the financial assistance and put a lot (most) of the debt from applications and secondaries onto a credit card.

Applying twice would have been more expensive then doing it right the first time. That being said congrats on your acceptance.

Same here.

Wow guys, just congratulate them. I know they made mistakes (i.e. DO letter), but you can't really fault someone for applying to only 6 schools when they got an acceptance. Sure you wouldn't advise someone else in their position to do it, but at least let them enjoy their acceptance.

Also for a clarification, you don't need to shadow a DO for a DO letter, its more or less a check box type thing at LECOM. You just have to have a letter on file. You could have just met with a DO for an hour and they could have given you an LOR. Obviously its better to shadow them, but its not necessary for LECOM.

Wow guys, just congratulate them. I know they made mistakes (i.e. DO letter), but you can't really fault someone for applying to only 6 schools when they got an acceptance. Sure you wouldn't advise someone else in their position to do it, but at least let them enjoy their acceptance.

Also for a clarification, you don't need to shadow a DO for a DO letter, its more or less a check box type thing at LECOM. You just have to have a letter on file. You could have just met with a DO for an hour and they could have given you an LOR. Obviously its better to shadow them, but its not necessary for LECOM.

No, I actually wish I could have pulled that off. I would be in less debt at least. I was just saying thank god for credit cards. Haha!

No, I actually wish I could have pulled that off. I would be in less debt at least. I was just saying thank god for credit cards. Haha!

I know, right? I think we all wish we could just apply to 6 schools and get an acceptance. I'm still waiting for an acceptance, and I applied to dozens of schools.

people always forget this.

I mean I tell people to apply broadly because there's a gambler's element to the process (particularly if your numbers are weak), but if you can't, then you can't.

I always thought that if you can pay/take out loans for $200k for 4 years then why can't you pay an extra $500 for more applications?

I see your logic, but for many, it's easier to "afford" the 200K through student loans than spending that extra $500 that we don't have.

DO schools also ask for ridiculous deposits to secure your seat.

I always thought that if you can pay/take out loans for $200k for 4 years then why can't you pay an extra $500 for more applications?

If we spent all our money on applications and interviews and got accepted, there's still money needed for things like food, utilities, bills, and possible unforeseen circumstances all the way up until school starts. And if you got an acceptance early in October or something, that's a long ways away having no money to support yourself or your family.

But if you don't get in, then whatever money you spent on applications will go to waste anyway.

+1

Can't you take more student loans or put it on a credit card? Why risk having to go through this more than once?

But if you don't get in, then whatever money you spent on applications will go to waste anyway.

It's all a gamble, but people still gotta make wise and informed decisions on the process. For example, I knew with my stats and ECs I would get in somewhere. I had a way better chance at DO than MD, so with the little money I had for the app season, I went only the DO route because I needed to put the money where it counted and paid off.

+1

Can't you take more student loans or put it on a credit card? Why risk having to go through this more than once?

Can't take student loans when not in school. And trust me, my checking account and my credit card both took a very heavy beating :D It's not like I have an American Express Black where I can spend money like no tomorrow. My card doesn't have a large line of credit. You can only tap your resources so much until it's no good! And like I said, I didn't want to risk having to spend the money all over again next season, so I put the money where I knew I'd get the best outcome based on a very realistic approach by looking at how competitive I was for certain schools (DO vs MD).

Last edited:
I see your logic, but for many, it's easier to "afford" the 200K through student loans than spending that extra $500 that we don't have.

+1

I don't think $500 loans are all that common without high interest, and if you have garbage credit already, a credit card could even be problematic.

I don't think $500 loans are all that common without high interest, and if you have garbage credit already, a credit card could even be problematic.

$500 just to apply for a small number of schools haha (gotta include cost of secondaries too). Then there's airfare, hotel, possible car rental, and food for one interview to one school. So I can apply but just can't get there lol. Imagine having like 7 interviews. You're talking thousands. It adds up fast. Just look at this thread to see how expensive it is (WARNING: Do not let the faint of wallet view!): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823966

$500 just to apply for a small number of schools haha (gotta include cost of secondaries too). Then there's airfare, hotel, possible car rental, and food for one interview to one school. So I can apply but just can't get there lol. Imagine having like 7 interviews. You're talking thousands. It adds up fast. Just look at this thread to see how expensive it is (WARNING: Do not let the faint of wallet view!): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823966

OOF. Depressing.

Hi guys!

So I am in a bit of a tough spot right now and not sure if this is the right spot to ask but any advice is really appreciated. I'm looking to apply this May with 3.44cGPA 3.14 sGPA 26P (10V 8BS 8PS) with a retake scheduled for May 30th. My issue is that I am having a tough time properly studying again for the mcat while taking a full course load. I believe the rest of my application is pretty solid and I will be ready to apply early and broadly.

Should I stay committed to the retake or take my chances this cycle with my mcat and focus on raising/maintaining my GPA this semester? My advisor seems pretty adamant on the retake but I'm just worried about not being properly prepared for it and scoring lower than my initial score. Also note that I am Canadian (currently attending a U.S institution) and my number #1 hopeful school is TouroNY (worried about the BS section)

Also, if I do retake, should I wait for my second score to come in before applying or go ahead and submit on June 1st?

Once again any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks !

+1 that's true. I didn't have a DO letter when I applied and once I received the interview I went out to find a DO to talk to, and he wrote a letter basically saying that I'm a human being and that I breathe oxygen, and I got in.

Hi guys!

So I am in a bit of a tough spot right now and not sure if this is the right spot to ask but any advice is really appreciated. I'm looking to apply this May with 3.44cGPA 3.14 sGPA 26P (10V 8BS 8PS) with a retake scheduled for May 30th. My issue is that I am having a tough time properly studying again for the mcat while taking a full course load. I believe the rest of my application is pretty solid and I will be ready to apply early and broadly.

Should I stay committed to the retake or take my chances this cycle with my mcat and focus on raising/maintaining my GPA this semester? My advisor seems pretty adamant on the retake but I'm just worried about not being properly prepared for it and scoring lower than my initial score. Also note that I am Canadian (currently attending a U.S institution) and my number #1 hopeful school is TouroNY (worried about the BS section)

Also, if I do retake, should I wait for my second score to come in before applying or go ahead and submit on June 1st?

I think you should focus on your grades. This is the one shot you get at getting those grades for those classes without having to go retake a whole semester's worth of classes. Your MCAT score is ~decent for DO applications, so focus on upping your GPA. I got a 25 on my first MCAT. When I went to retake it, I took it 12 days after I graduated from college. I hardly studied for it before I was done with school because I needed to focus on getting good grades in my high level science courses for my last semester of college. The last 12 days I studied for 8-10 hours each day**. Since you already took the test once you kind of know what is coming your way. Take the few weeks you'll have to really focus on the material you aren't as comfortable with, and take lots and lots of practice exams. That way in the end, you'll have good grades and hopefully a good MCAT score.

It's up to you if you want to wait or not. The first time I applied I applied the day it opened and I didn't get in. This time around I didn't submit until like...August? and I got in.

**ETA: I forgot to say that I got a 28 the second time....

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I just recommend you take a practice test in mid may. If you find yourself scoring the same +/- 1 point then just apply. If you're doing 3-5 points better then retake.

Hi guys!

Ok, so like Chiefer said, just make sure you do well on classes right now. After they are finished, continue studying for the MCAT. Like serenade said, take a practice test in mid-May to see where you are, and if you don't feel comfortable with your progression, delay the exam.

I would submit to schools on the first day, because you are above all the cutoffs and should receive secondaries from all your schools. If you aren't sure you are going to retake it, don't indicate that you are planning a retake on the application (obviously if you take it on the 30th, you should indicate that on the app). Its best to get all the verification stuff done, because schools won't look at your app until the secondaries are submitted anyways, as long as you are above the cutoffs.

If you take the MCAT and do well, you can update your app, if you don't take it obviously it won't matter. If you have taken the exam, I would hesitate to submit the secondaries until you get your results, because if you think you did better, you want them to see the new score.

As a Canadian, it might be a tougher cycle for you than a US citizen with similar stats. I would, however, recommend that you apply to MSU-COM as I think they accepted 30 Canadians last year. That being said, your stats are below their average.

Pretty cool to see all the underdogs that have been accepted this cycle

Pretty cool to see all the underdogs that have been accepted this cycle

There are probably more...I dont think the person who is in charge to update the thread has done that for awhile...

Here's my update:

MCAT: 23
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.6

Interviews at PCOM-GA, CUSOM, VCOM-CC, ACOM
-- All interviews were firsts week of March

Accepted: VCOM-CC, CUSOM
Wait list: ACOM
Delayed Decision: PCOM-GA

Will be attending VCOM-CC in August! The mission and international opportunities were huge factors for me. Loved CUSOM too but felt the Spartanburg/Greenville area was a better fit for my wife and I.

Just want to encourage everyone reading this thread to not let your stats get you down. Work hard, have a great personal statement, make yourself the best application possible, apply broadly and smartly and you never know what may happen. Keep chasing your dreams!

Here's my update:

MCAT: 23
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.6

Interviews at PCOM-GA, CUSOM, VCOM-CC, ACOM
-- All interviews were firsts week of March

Accepted: VCOM-CC, CUSOM
Wait list: ACOM
Delayed Decision: PCOM-GA

Will be attending VCOM-CC in August! The mission and international opportunities were huge factors for me. Loved CUSOM too but felt the Spartanburg/Greenville area was a better fit for my wife and I.

Just want to encourage everyone reading this thread to not let your stats get you down. Work hard, have a great personal statement, make yourself the best application possible, apply broadly and smartly and you never know what may happen. Keep chasing your dreams!

Congratulations! VCOM is a great school! Plus, location wise, the Carolinas are hard to beat (I'm going to CUSOM).

Anyone got accepted by using best of each mcat score? Can anyone who got accepted comment please? Thanksssss

anyone want to tell me how my odds are looking?

3.75 Cum. GPA 3.8 Science GPA 24R MCAT (7 PS, 7 B, 10 VR)

Feeling like an underdog with my MCAT scores...White male, decent application volunteer/shadowing..currently work for the American Cancer Society with three different hospital systems. Should also mention I'm a political science major.

Last edited:
anyone want to tell me how my odds are looking?

3.75 Cum. GPA 3.8 Science GPA 24R MCAT (7 PS, 7 B, 10 VR)

Feeling like an underdog with my MCAT scores...White male, decent application volunteer/shadowing..currently work for the American Cancer Society with three different hospital systems. Should also mention I'm a political science major.

You should be ok if apply broadly and to the newer schools... Avoid schools that are mcat obsessed such as Nova, AZCOM, DMU, CCOM, Western, The Touros....There is another underdog thread for 2013-2014 cycle... Post on it so you can get more responses.

I thought Western was GPA-heavy

or maybe mine was just that low lol

Fellow underdogs, I just wanted to say that I just got into UMDNJ SOM!

From the beginning I was a long shot but I never gave up. Dreams really do come true. I hope to see you all out in the field my fellow Medical Students.

From the beginning I was a long shot but I never gave up. Dreams really do come true. I hope to see you all out in the field my fellow Medical Students.

Wow, that is amazing! That has to be one if the greatest feelings! Good luck to you!

Congrats!... If my memory serves me well; weren't you about to go to SGU? If so, it's good you dodge that bullet...:thumbup:

not sure if underdog, but certainly feel like it today.

c.gpa 3.47 s.gpa 3.72 MCAT 24...just got mcat today :( BS10 VR6 PS8