The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, he was alright, sometimes. To me it seemed like he was craving attention from somewhere and ended up getting it here. How else could someone post that much. You have to be on here 24/7. I'm sure he will be back under a different name due to that reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, he was alright, sometimes. To me it seemed like he was craving attention from somewhere and ended up getting it here. How else could someone post that much. You have to be on here 24/7. I'm sure he will be back under a different name due to that reason.

It was only about 40 posts a day, which is very doable considering many of his posts were short (<10 words). Even with that though, like I said, he was usually the first to post an answer to a question and I didn't really hear anything outrageous from him. Sure he was slightly abrasive, but that's true about a LOT of people on this forum that generally have a decent amount of respect, because they give constructive input.

On another note, I should hear from 2 schools in the next 3 days. I'm pretty much freakin out, and if I get in anywhere, I will be happy to post on here that another underdog got in. I'm debating whether I should be posting in the panic thread, but pre-allo just doesn't feel as friendly/forgiving/happy as pre-osteo.

It was only about 40 posts a day, which is very doable considering many of his posts were short (<10 words). Even with that though, like I said, he was usually the first to post an answer to a question and I didn't really hear anything outrageous from him. Sure he was slightly abrasive, but that's true about a LOT of people on this forum that generally have a decent amount of respect, because they give constructive input.

On another note, I should hear from 2 schools in the next 3 days. I'm pretty much freakin out, and if I get in anywhere, I will be happy to post on here that another underdog got in. I'm debating whether I should be posting in the panic thread, but pre-allo just doesn't feel as friendly/forgiving/happy as pre-osteo.

If you have the SDN app on your phone, you have a problem.

I wouldn't be panicking just yet. Most DO schools accept students late in the cycle since the better applicants end up at a lower tier MD program. Where I am from, four schools steal from the one osteo program so the osteo school's class is mostly from the waitlist. Granted, this state is highly competitive and the osteo school is quality, it's just how it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Concur.

If you post as frequently as bsa (or MedPR) without the phone app, then you might have a problem. I'd say having the app makes a more frequent presence on SDN more forgivable.

Last edited:
ii to ATSU-SOMA!

Updated GPAs (after Fall 2012 semester):
3.35c, 3.24s

Sent from my SCH-I605 using SDN Mobile

Yay got into DMU-COM! DO27 cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.9, mcat: 21q, 26p

Got interviewed and rejected by Marian though :(

Still waiting for interview request from CCOM....much closer to me so fingers crossed.

Still waiting for interview request from CCOM....much closer to me so fingers crossed.

Congrats, though I'm not sure I'd call you an underdog. Possibly see ya this Fall.

Nice! Congrats! DMU >>> Marian. Great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! Congrats! DMU >>> Marian. Great school.
Thank you I'm stoked! Good luck to you! :) I think it was their multiple mini interview style that did me in there. Hopefully other schools won't follow this method.

Congratulations! Sorry about Marian, but DMU is great! Hopefully you'll hear from CCOM soon too.

If you don't mind saying, when did you interview at Marian and when did you get the rejection email?

Thank you I'm stoked! Good luck to you! :) I think it was their multiple mini interview style that did me in there. Hopefully other schools won't follow this method.

I think some programs already use MMI, but I'm sure most will likely keep the traditional interview format.

Thanks! I think its my MCAT scores that make me an underdog :(

It is a little low, but your GPAs are pretty solid. In any case, stats don't always equal acceptance so congrats are always in order.

Everything else aside, remember...you got in. And no matter what anyone says, that's freaking awesome and DMU, from what I can tell, is an awesome school...that's why I paid my dues!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Sorry about Marian, but DMU is great! Hopefully you'll hear from CCOM soon too.

If you don't mind saying, when did you interview at Marian and when did you get the rejection email?

I think some programs already use MMI, but I'm sure most will likely keep the traditional interview format.
Thank you! Interviewed on Sat Feb 2nd, got rejection email thurs after...turds! >_< lol

Last edited:

Congrats! We might be classmates! :)

It is a little low, but your GPAs are pretty solid. In any case, stats don't always equal acceptance so congrats are always in order.

Everything else aside, remember...you got in. And no matter what anyone says, that's freaking awesome and DMU, from what I can tell, is an awesome school...that's why I payed my dues!

*paid your dues

*paid your dues

Never really gave that much thought and I considered looking into it before posting, but said screw it. Didn't feel like looking up what was proper. I guess "payed" doesn't really exist, at least anymore, even though my phone Swype predicted it for me.

Ty. Nice catch.

Still no interview invites for me this cycle. Still waiting on interviews from:
LECOM-Erie
Midwestern-Arizona
NYCOM (NYIT)
Touro-NY
Touro-CA

I have been in contact with the schools above and they say my application is still under review. I guess it's good that I haven't been outright rejected especially after they keep reviewing my application. NYCOM just emailed me back again and their wording emphasized that they are continuing to interview and will interview though April. Then they signed it best of luck. I hope that is a subtle hint that I may be getting an ii from them soon. Let's hope so! I could use some happy thoughts from everyone!

Also still waiting from these allopathic schools:
Howard
Morehouse
SUNY @ Buffalo
Drexel

I am on hold from Drexel. They said they will review my application this spring (hopefully soon). I hope it's good they didn't outright reject me. I emailed an updated letter of intent and they responded with the same message--that I am on preinterview hold.
I am not black (but am economically disadvantaged and first-generation college student).

Just wanted to update everyone (even though it is not an ii or acceptance sadly :( ).
Hoping there are people out there pulling for me. I am willing to go anywhere at this point since it means I will be a doctor no matter where I go.

PS-Good luck to all the other Underdogs who are still hoping for good news.

Still no interview invites for me this cycle. Still waiting on interviews from:
LECOM-Erie
Midwestern-Arizona
NYCOM (NYIT)
Touro-NY
Touro-CA

I have been in contact with the schools above and they say my application is still under review. I guess it's good that I haven't been outright rejected especially after they keep reviewing my application. NYCOM just emailed me back again and their wording emphasized that they are continuing to interview and will interview though April. Then they signed it best of luck. I hope that is a subtle hint that I may be getting an ii from them soon. Let's hope so! I could use some happy thoughts from everyone!

Also still waiting from these allopathic schools:
Howard
Morehouse
SUNY @ Buffalo
Drexel

I am on hold from Drexel. They said they will review my application this spring (hopefully soon). I hope it's good they didn't outright reject me. I emailed an updated letter of intent and they responded with the same message--that I am on preinterview hold.
I am not black (but am economically disadvantaged and first-generation college student).

Just wanted to update everyone (even though it is not an ii or acceptance sadly :( ).
Hoping there are people out there pulling for me. I am willing to go anywhere at this point since it means I will be a doctor no matter where I go.

PS-Good luck to all the other Underdogs who are still hoping for good news.

I'm sorry if you've posted them before but what are your stats?

I'm sorry if you've posted them before but what are your stats?

3.2 cGPA, 2.83 sGPA (basically a disaster sophomore year and one D- course that kills it). In the process of retaking that course and will get an A in it. That will raise my sGPA (per AACOMAS grade replacement) to 2.99 (3.0 if they round hopefully), and cGPA to 3.26.

26R MCAT (11V 7BS 8PS).

3.2 cGPA, 2.83 sGPA (basically a disaster sophomore year and one D- course that kills it). In the process of retaking that course and will get an A in it. That will raise my sGPA (per AACOMAS grade replacement) to 2.99 (3.0 if they round hopefully), and cGPA to 3.26.

26R MCAT (11V 7BS 8PS).

You will need at least 1 more science credit to bump that up to a 3.0. I know that at least with AACOMAS 2.99 = 2.99, and 3.00 is the cutoff for a LOT of DO programs, including Touro-CA.

The other problem is your MCAT is mediocre, and it doesn't look good that your BS score is a 7. I've heard that Touro-NY cares a lot about the BS score on the MCAT, but obviously I don't know that for sure. That being said, I think your best bet is to continue to retake courses until you bring your sGPA up to around 3.3 or so. Retake all of those sophomore classes and definitely that D-, pretty much anything below a B-, even over the summer at almost any accredited school.

Also, make sure you apply more broadly to schools like Marian, ACOM, VCOM, KYCOM, etc. In general make sure you apply more broadly and early next time.

Good luck man, we are definitely pulling for you, and with an improved AACOMAS sGPA, you would be in a good spot for sure.

26R MCAT (11V 7BS 8PS).

Your scores in the science sections are somewhat on the low side. It will be an uphill battle with these numbers unless you are an URM. Good luck!

Last edited:

26R MCAT (11V 7BS 8PS).

If you don't get in this time, don't apply for MD next year, it's a waste of money with your stats.
Apply as early as you can next cycle to DO schools and you will have a shot

You will need at least 1 more science credit to bump that up to a 3.0. I know that at least with AACOMAS 2.99 = 2.99, and 3.00 is the cutoff for a LOT of DO programs, including Touro-CA.

The other problem is your MCAT is mediocre, and it doesn't look good that your BS score is a 7. I've heard that Touro-NY cares a lot about the BS score on the MCAT, but obviously I don't know that for sure. That being said, I think your best bet is to continue to retake courses until you bring your sGPA up to around 3.3 or so. Retake all of those sophomore classes and definitely that D-, pretty much anything below a B-, even over the summer at almost any accredited school.

Also, make sure you apply more broadly to schools like Marian, ACOM, VCOM, KYCOM, etc. In general make sure you apply more broadly and early next time.

Good luck man, we are definitely pulling for you, and with an improved AACOMAS sGPA, you would be in a good spot for sure.

Only a handful of schools screen. I am curious though as to how broadly this person applied.

Only a handful of schools screen. I am curious though as to how broadly this person applied.

I applied to 22 MD programs (FAP so it wasn't overly cost prohibitive) and 10 DO programs (in hindsight, I should have applied to every single DO school I could have-I qualified for the AACOMAS fee assistance program, but they were out of funds for the year). I also applied late(r) than I should have (verified AMCAS in October and AACOMAS a few weeks after).

If I need to reapply, I will apply the first day I can this year (May for AACOMAS and June 1st for AMCAS). I just hope it doesn't come down to that.

I applied to 22 MD programs (FAP so it wasn't overly cost prohibitive) and 10 DO programs (in hindsight, I should have applied to every single DO school I could have-I qualified for the AACOMAS fee assistance program, but they were out of funds for the year). I also applied late(r) than I should have (verified AMCAS in October and AACOMAS a few weeks after).

If I need to reapply, I will apply the first day I can this year (May for AACOMAS and June 1st for AMCAS). I just hope it doesn't come down to that.

seriously don't apply to MD schools, you have zero chance even if you are URM. this advise will save you at least $500
however, try some newer/ rural DO schools like KYCOM, LMU DCOM, ACOM...etc

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you haven't received invites by now, it will most likely come to reapplying. Because of the fact that your GPA is so low and it's the end of March, unfortunately that's probably what's going to happen :( You have some pretty solid advice in the few posts above me. I think what's hurting you is not only the low GPA but the low-ish scores in your science sections too. Consider retaking not only classes but maybe even the test. An improved test score and gpa can work wonders (take it from a former reapplicant). Good luck nonetheless! :thumbup:

I was screened out of a LOT of schools with my <3.0 GPA, even with a mid-30s MCAT. To name a few, the Westerns, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, KCUMB, DMU, RVUCOM, WVSOM, CUSOM, and VCOM. OSUCOM and Nova both said that if you have <3.0, you will be screened out, but if you want you can submit a secondary. Also, I got a few post-secondary rejections that felt like a post-secondary screen, as I received them within 24 hours of submitting my secondary.

Marian also has a cutoff of some kind (3.0 or 3.2), but I don't think I was screened because my last 120 credits GPA are significantly higher than that.

I'm gonna have to agree with DrMeows, this late in the cycle its not impossible to get an ii, but its unlikely, as most schools interview into the middle or at the latest end of April. Obviously, without an ii, you can't get an acceptance, and most people I know that got accepted (in most cases off of the waitlist) got at least 3 ii's. Also, I'm not going to tell you not to apply MD, but just know its pretty much an insane longshot.

Definitely apply early next cycle, June 1st for AACOMAS. The app opens on May 3rd, but the first day to submit is June 1st. If I don't get in off the waitlist, I'll be there with you.

Again, I would also seriously look into more grade replacement. Your MCAT is fine, but doesn't make up for the low GPA. Like I said, if you can bring your sGPA anywhere close to your cGPA, you should have a fair shot. I think you might get in somewhere as is, but with a sGPA above 3.2, you'd be in much better shape.

Last edited:
I posted in the underdog thread a year or two ago.

Back then, my sGPA was sub-3. I decided not to apply.

After some re-takes and graduate work, I brought it up to about a 3.4 and scored in the low 30's on the MCAT. I don't think I was an underdog this cycle but can definitely sympathize since I was there, too!

This cycle I applied to 20+ DO schools and gained admission to several. Didn't bother applying MD since w/o grade replacement my sGPA was about 3.2, which is very bleh.

Be persistent, and best wishes to all my fellow underdogs!

I posted in the underdog thread a year or two ago.

Back then, my sGPA was sub-3. I decided not to apply.

After some re-takes and graduate work, I brought it up to about a 3.4 and scored in the low 30's on the MCAT. I don't think I was an underdog this cycle but can definitely sympathize since I was there, too!

This cycle I applied to 20+ DO schools and gained admission to several. Didn't bother applying MD since w/o grade replacement my sGPA was about 3.2, which is very bleh.

Be persistent, and best wishes to all my fellow underdogs!

Congrats! A great story for people that will need to reapply next cycle.

So I actually posted my MCAT incorrectly. This is the correct info:

26R MCAT (11V 8BS 7PS)

(I originally posted 7 for BS and 8 for PS). I am not sure How much that changes anything, but just wanted the right information to be out there. I am still hoping for something this cycle.

I also scored a meeting with the Dean of Admissions for the med school I work for (I work for the hospital, but it's all the same University/campus). It was not an interview for med school unfortunately, just a sit down to go over everything. This is a top 30 medical school in the country. He told me during our conversation that my letters are spectacular, my clinical experience is much more than average, and my research experience is more than normal for accepted students. He was just worried the adcoms would never even get to see that at most allopathic schools because they will look at my GPA and put me in the deny stack. He said it is unfortunate. He said DO schools are definitely more accommodating with uneven metrics (like I possess).

The interesting part came when he advised me to look in the 4 or 5 big Caribbean schools. He said he would never advise this to a public group or talk, but he doesn't understand all the premed advisors saying it is a stupid choice. He says they are misinformed. He said this would be the easiest way for me to get into med school right away. He said there is still about 5 years before the number of US med school graduates outnumber US residency spots. So he told me if I was dedicated and did well on the Steps, I should have no problem getting a good residency here in the US. He did say that I would not be able to get Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins or Dermatology at Harvard, but if I could accept that, the Caribbean is not a bad place to go. He said only look at the top 5 (AUC, SGU, Ross, Saba, AUA). He helped design the curriculum at AUA. I know there seems to be hate on this forum for the Caribbean schools and I am not sure why. Most criticism comes from premeds who have bad advice/info from premed advisors.

He still encouraged me to get a DO over a caribbean MD, but he said both are not bad options. For allopathic MD in the states, he advised I would need a hard science masters degree to get in. I have been accepted at Midwestern University's Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences in Downer's Grove, IL for this upcoming school year.

I am at a cross-roads as for what to do--stay at my research job for the next year and apply broadly and early to DO programs for this upcoming cycle. Or go to the Master's program in Chicago while applying to DO schools this cycle as well? I mean how much would being enrolled in this program help my application since I will be applying the same year I will be taking the Master's program (start August 2013-May 2014. I will apply June 1st, 2013 for the upcoming DO cycle)? I am in the process of applying to the big 4 or 5 Caribbean schools to see how that goes (hopefully as backup).

Any advice from anyone who has gone through something similar to me (people who have done this post-bac would be immensely helpful)? Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to do the best possible thing for me and my pursuit of a medical degree.

Thanks!

The majority of DO schools screen. Every one I applied to did.

26R MCAT (11V 8BS 7PS)

(I originally posted 7 for BS and 8 for PS). I am not sure How much that changes anything, but just wanted the right information to be out there. I am still hoping for something this cycle.

I also scored a meeting with the Dean of Admissions for the med school I work for (I work for the hospital, but it's all the same University/campus). It was not an interview for med school unfortunately, just a sit down to go over everything. This is a top 30 medical school in the country. He told me during our conversation that my letters are spectacular, my clinical experience is much more than average, and my research experience is more than normal for accepted students. He was just worried the adcoms would never even get to see that at most allopathic schools because they will look at my GPA and put me in the deny stack. He said it is unfortunate. He said DO schools are definitely more accommodating with uneven metrics (like I possess).

The interesting part came when he advised me to look in the 4 or 5 big Caribbean schools. He said he would never advise this to a public group or talk, but he doesn't understand all the premed advisors saying it is a stupid choice. He says they are misinformed. He said this would be the easiest way for me to get into med school right away. He said there is still about 5 years before the number of US med school graduates outnumber US residency spots. So he told me if I was dedicated and did well on the Steps, I should have no problem getting a good residency here in the US. He did say that I would not be able to get Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins or Dermatology at Harvard, but if I could accept that, the Caribbean is not a bad place to go. He said only look at the top 5 (AUC, SGU, Ross, Saba, AUA). He helped design the curriculum at AUA. I know there seems to be hate on this forum for the Caribbean schools and I am not sure why. Most criticism comes from premeds who have bad advice/info from premed advisors.

He still encouraged me to get a DO over a caribbean MD, but he said both are not bad options. For allopathic MD in the states, he advised I would need a hard science masters degree to get in. I have been accepted at Midwestern University's Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences in Downer's Grove, IL for this upcoming school year.

I am at a cross-roads as for what to do--stay at my research job for the next year and apply broadly and early to DO programs for this upcoming cycle. Or go to the Master's program in Chicago while applying to DO schools this cycle as well? I mean how much would being enrolled in this program help my application since I will be applying the same year I will be taking the Master's program (start August 2013-May 2014. I will apply June 1st, 2013 for the upcoming DO cycle)? I am in the process of applying to the big 4 or 5 Caribbean schools to see how that goes (hopefully as backup).

Any advice from anyone who has gone through something similar to me (people who have done this post-bac would be immensely helpful)? Sorry for the long post, I am just trying to do the best possible thing for me and my pursuit of a medical degree.

Thanks!

Is the CCOM Masters in BMS considered some sort or SMP? Someone aware me on this. Regardless a strong performance there would help your chances in applying later (as in after it is completed).

You should probably not consider the Caribbean, you aren't that far off of a DO acceptance.

I personally would recommend taking an informal gap year to retake some poor science class performances and such. If you can get your cGPA~3.4 and your sGPA ~3.2 you within a year you could apply with your 26 and have success at DO programs. MD isn't going to happen I don't think.

You wasted an application cycle with a sub 3.0 sgpa unfortunately.

26R MCAT (11V 8BS 7PS)

He still encouraged me to get a DO over a caribbean MD, but he said both are not bad options.

I got no advice about Caribbean schools from my advisers. I've heard that some recommend them, but generally I haven't heard much from them.

The Caribbean schools are fine. Good doctors come out of there every year. But if you are planning to practice in the US, you are much better off with a DO. The main difference between a US school and a Caribbean school (besides the obvious AMG vs IMG) is that the major selective pressure for US schools is getting in, while for Caribbean schools its on the match. You don't want to be in debt and truly worried whether or not you will match.

That being said, I wouldn't go to either AUA or Saba. AUA is a bit too new (I remember getting contacted by them in college when they first opened), and that means there will be issues that have nothing to do with the curriculum. Add to it that they have only had CA certification for a year or two, which means many states probably haven't heard about them enough to take the risk on graduates (for now at least, who knows in ten years). Saba is a good school, but I hear the work is brutal. It also suffers from being on a small island and is relatively new itself. Also, I think both Saba and AUA are not approved for federal loans yet (due to age, I believe), so you will have to pay either out of your pocket or with private loans.

I think you'd get into Ross or AUC. SGU might be tougher (not impossible) and you might have to take foundations because of your GPA. As a warning, Ross has a pretty high attrition rate. AUC is a bit better, bit still not great. SGU is the best Caribbean ,ed school, but its also huge and expensive, and I believe still has an attrition rate >10%.

All that being said, take this into consideration. School is at least 4 years (many do it in more). At best you'd start in August, so you'd just make it in under the 5 years that the dean mentioned. If you start in January, have to do foundations, or get delayed because of a lack of rotations or bad rotation timing, you'll hit that 5 year mark, because you'll finish in between two match cycles. So basically, I'd say its not in your best interest to go to the Caribbean. You can get into a DO school with relatively little effort, and you'd pretty much finish at the same time.

For allopathic MD in the states, he advised I would need a hard science masters degree to get in. I have been accepted at Midwestern University's Master of Arts in Biomedical Sciences in Downer's Grove, IL for this upcoming school year.

Thanks!

Again, DO is in reach. You could do the Masters. I imagine it'll improve your GPA and prepare you better for med school. Look into whether that MS has any linkage with CCOM.

All you really need is a semester or two (e.g. summer and fall, fall and spring, etc.) of strategic retakes in an informal post-bac, and you'd be able to get in somewhere. If the MS has a DO linkage, go with it, but if its say too expensive or anything like that, just do something informal. Its really up to you, both will help you.

US MD is really out of reach for you. Not only is your GPA very low, but your MCAT is also too low for an acceptance.

You can reapply DO this year. It won't hurt (except your wallet), and worst case scenario, you reapply in June 2014. If you have the money, you might as well apply to some schools and see what you get, interview-wise. Be smart applying though. Only apply to schools that don't screen for a 3.0.

Last edited:

26R MCAT (11V 8BS 7PS)

Thanks!

Hey, your MCATs are very similar to mine. If you can boost your GPA, work in EC's, and solid letters, you should be in great shape! MWU's SMP will definitely work to your advantage.

26R MCAT (11V 8BS 7PS)

Thanks!

I think the masters program is unnecessary when you can more quickly raise the sgpa through a post bac (grade replacement). Alternatively you could do LECOM's program which supposedly guarantees admission with a 3.0 in their program. If you choose the postbac route just try to get the sgpa as close to or as far past 3.0 as possible.

I think the masters program is unnecessary when you can more quickly raise the sgpa through a post bac (grade replacement). Alternatively you could do LECOM's program which supposedly guarantees admission with a 3.0 in their program. If you choose the postbac route just try to get the sgpa as close to or as far past 3.0 as possible.

This. But if the masters has linkage to CCOM or AZCOM or you really really want to do it, go for it. It will only help.

I think you underestimate the power of what a masters degree can do, especially from a DO school. I will agree with you that doing your own replacement is more money savvy, but receiving a masters degree (and the one that he's talking about from CCOM actually) was probably one of the best moves I could have made. I received 0 interviews before the program and 6 afterwards (two being CCOM and AZCOM, but it really helped for other schools as well). It shows you can handle a med school curriculum (since it's set up that way) and that you're interested in DO since it's at a DO school.

I was accepted to post bacc programs (LECOM, VCOM, and PCOM) as well as CCOMs SMP. I chose the SMP route because if I was spending all that money (LECOMs post bacc is like 15,000 if I remember correctly), I might as well have a degree to show for it. I'm not sure why you automatically recommended LECOM's program though because out of all of them, I'd probably say stay away from that one. That was my last choice of what I applied to.

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies!! Great info so far. I just enrolled in an independent study type course that will replace my worst grade in college (D-, don't ask haha). I fully anticipate receiving an A in this retake (different professor and based only on 3 research papers reviews). With that alone my sGPA will go from 2.83 to 2.986 and my overall GPA will go from 3.17 to 3.26.

Retake only this course:
sGPA 2.83-> 2.986
cGPA 3.17-> 3.26

If I also retake Genetics (and get an A in it):
sGPA 3.078
cGPA 3.32
Just wanted to post these numbers. How many DO schools round up to the tenths spot in the GPA? Do any? If they do, I would have 3.3 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA which is world's better than my current GPAs.

I am quite attached to my research job where I am currently, that's why I am hesitant to go to CCOM's masters. I work for the residency program director in the specialty I want to pursue. She wants me back after medical school (obviously no guarantee in the match, but having the program director who picks who they interview and does the rank list wanting me to do my residency here is absolutely amazing). It would be hard to pass that up.

This is why I am in this conundrum. I am just hoping a miracle happens and I get into a DO school this cycle still. After repeatedly taking to them and they just keep saying my app is under review must mean I am borderline. This late you would think they would just deny my app, but they keep staying they are continuing to look at it.

Really hoping something happens this cycle for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate anymore thoughts on my situation. Thanks!

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies!! Great info so far. I just enrolled in an independent study type course that will replace my worst grade in college (D-, don't ask haha). I fully anticipate receiving an A in this retake (different professor and based only on 3 research papers reviews). With that alone my sGPA will go from 2.83 to 2.986 and my overall GPA will go from 3.17 to 3.26.

Retake only this course:
sGPA 2.83-> 2.986
cGPA 3.17-> 3.26

If I also retake Genetics (and get an A in it):
sGPA 3.078
cGPA 3.32
Just wanted to post these numbers. How many DO schools round up to the tenths spot in the GPA? Do any? If they do, I would have 3.3 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA which is world's better than my current GPAs.

I am quite attached to my research job where I am currently, that's why I am hesitant to go to CCOM's masters. I work for the residency program director in the specialty I want to pursue. She wants me back after medical school (obviously no guarantee in the match, but having the program director who picks who they interview and does the rank list wanting me to do my residency here is absolutely amazing). It would be hard to pass that up.

This is why I am in this conundrum. I am just hoping a miracle happens and I get into a DO school this cycle still. After repeatedly taking to them and they just keep saying my app is under review must mean I am borderline. This late you would think they would just deny my app, but they keep staying they are continuing to look at it.

Really hoping something happens this cycle for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate anymore thoughts on my situation. Thanks!

Maybe, maybe not. Some schools just don't like to send rejections until the end. That being said, you are borderline for an interview, but that doesn't mean borderline for an acceptance (right now). You need either the retakes or the masters.

Try and see if you can schedule those two retakes over the summer. That would help you out a LOT, because even then you could enroll in the MS and not lose anything. In terms of rounding up, I'm pretty sure they'll round to wherever AACOMAS rounds, which is the hundredths. So that 2.986 is really 2.99 (probably). I would imagine it would be a cutoff at 3.00, or at least you should expect that. Given that, make sure you take at least 2 classes. Even a non-retake A should bump that sGPA over 3.0 after the other retake, but obviously like you said genetics retake would increase it further. If you can get 2 retakes in over the summer, that will be in your best interest.

I kind of agree with Dr.Meows, if you can afford it, the masters is beneficial. Whether its overkill or not, we can't really tell, but I don't think you want to do the retakes, reapply, and then not get in when the MS could have made that little bit of a difference. The way I see it, you might have a shot after the retakes, but if you do the MS also, you'd definitely at least have a good shot the next cycle (2014).

As for the research position and the person guaranteeing you a residency, don't think of it like a guarantee. Its a good opportunity and you should keep in touch with them and even continue doing research over the summer in med school. That being said, a lot can happen in 1 year, let alone 4. They might think that now, but maybe in a couple years they find someone they like even more than you. Maybe they'll retire, maybe they'll get fired/replaced, maybe they'll die. There's a lot of unknowns, so I would recommend not making any real life changing decisions based on that promise. If all goes well and you're still in contact with them by 3rd year, then sure, interview there, even rank them #1 (if you still want to at the time of course), but for now don't expect it as a guarantee. Also, you have to get into medical school first in order for them to bring you to their program, would taking an extra year really hurt that relationship that much?

As an anecdotal thing, I had a relative that rotated at one program, did research there, they loved him and told him they would rank him #1. Then after he ranked them #1 and the match results came out, not only did they not end up matching with him, but they even had an empty (unmatched) spot at their program, meaning that they didn't even rank him, let alone rank him #1. Nothing's guaranteed, and unfortunately people aren't always honest with you, especially if its in their best interest to mislead you (not saying that is what's happening, just that it could).

Last edited: