The British...? Are Coming - England WW Sign Ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours of torture do you prefer?

• Total voters
I just did a shot for the first time since I was in college. And welp. Never again.

9yx.gif

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
MOD UPDATE

1am roles out deadline may have been a gross overestimation of my typing speed.

(some roles are already out; if you are one of those people, please do not gloat.)

• Care
  • Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MOD UPDATE

1am roles out deadline may have been a gross overestimation of my typing speed.

(some roles are already out; if you are one of those people, please do not gloat.)
baba sigh GIF by Puffin Rock

I tried to join the discord in the meantime and just lagged tf out lol

• Sad
  • Care
  • Haha
Jager shots are where it is at though... or just drinking it for that matter.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I apologize for this but some roles are going to go out without very much flair. I'll fix it over the next few days.

Already worst mod lol

• Care
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
ALL ROLES SHOULD BE OUT.

If you did not receive a role, please notify me at once.

_______

Seeing as it is almost 4am, we will be starting closer to 10am eastern tomorrow instead of 9.

just kidding, I decided to just open early and then SDN closed for maintenance before I could fix this.

Please allow me to make multiple posts first before you all start posting.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I like how this devolved into a post about shots. I will shoot anything, though prefer tequila because then I can laugh at the faces everyone else makes

The real question is shotskies. Yay or nay?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
What do you think, @Doctor-S ? We'd love to have you as a player! It's been a while :)
Just returned home and saw this. Sorry I wasn't able to join.

I miss the fun times ... you know ... paranoia, back-stabbing, chilling accusations, sleepless cycles, all the nefarious goings-on in WW!

I hope everyone has a fantastic time - sending GOOD thoughts to all of you! :)

• Care
Late to the discussion, but I also enjoy Fireball shots. As an aside, fireball and apple juice is an interesting combination that a college friend got me and several other friends hooked on.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Am I reading this correctly that there was a runescape themed WW game? Can someone link it to me? I'd love to read that someday when I have time

We interrupt this sign up thread to bring you this gem from Runescape
(Context: STL was the mod)

If we are supposed to lynch a dead person to win I will find STL and punch him right in the dick

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I think focusing on the racial aspect of lynch is basically ignoring all the other groups that have been unfairly targeted by lynch mobs, like for sexual orientation, religion, sexual assault victims, gender nonconformity, political associations, etc the list goes on and on.

To act like it's a term that only has racial connotations sorta erases the injustice visited on so many people and groups.

During the War for Independence many Brits and Colonists were tarred and feathered or suffered other types of clear mob violence or death by lynch. So not even completely tangential to this very game.
cray, i feel like this post is saying "all lives matter" in response to someone holding a BLM sign. yes, other categories of people get violently killed too. but the vast majority of lynchings are white people lynching black people as a hate crime. and i don't want to be playing a game where a racially charged term like "lynch" gets tossed around so carelessly, especially when we can play the game using other words.

• Care
cray, i feel like this post is saying "all lives matter" in response to someone holding a BLM sign. yes, other categories of people get violently killed too. but the vast majority of lynchings are white people lynching black people as a hate crime. and i don't want to be playing a game where a racially charged term like "lynch" gets tossed around so carelessly, especially when we can play the game using other words.
I don't think that accurately describes lynching.

In any case I respect the cultural change people are trying to enact. I don't think people should be chastised for not liking or agreeing to a policy they respect anyway, and I think if some people want to go on using the term in non-vote ways they also should be left alone about it.

This came up about digital blackface, which people have been doing but I haven't pointed out. I choose not to use Black memes out of respect for some Black people who aren't comfortable about it, and that choice is good enough for me, I don't need to try to police what memes you guys are using.

Also if you want to be PC Black should be capitalized.

Is a good read.

Jews were also lynched, so your definition of lynching as whites to Blacks in this country is flawed and leaves this group out.

All it means is extrajudicial violence, usually involving a group. It still happens quite a bit in Latin America, particularly Mexico.

Lynching as word doesn't belong to Black people anymore than genocide belongs to Jews. Certainly those groups have an intimate and special history with those words and acts, but it isn't particular to them. We can honor this special history without distorting the meaning of the words to only fit one group.

I will say, that I talked to @cessnaflyer and he was of the opinion that we probably don't need to call every vote every day a "lynch," but there might be times it might seem fitting to someone to describe their treatment. He thinks given the state of the world, making a choice not to use it casually could be a way to honor what's going on in the world for Black people. That's great if people want to do that and mods and players choose to change their language.

In any case I don't think if someone uses it according to its actual meaning, they need to be chastised. It isn't a bad word and it doesn't mean what people seem to think it does. I think it potentially distorts history and also ignores what is going on in the world to insist on this one meaning, which is very American history Black/white relations-centric.

I see nothing wrong with taking back the term to mean the injustice it actually stands for. I don't think we correct injustice when we pervert words that describe injustice

As for why we don't use other words? I don't think they convey the appropriate meaning and I've tried to use the new language and I hate it. It's cumbersome and imprecise to me. It doesn't capture the feelings involved either, lack of justice or fairness being a chief one.

We still use terms of violence to describe WW. And this term of violence, its meaning, makes perfect sense to capture what we are doing. If we don't like casually using a term of violence in our games, that is one thing. I reject the argument that we need to distort its meaning to honor Black people. But if your point is to eliminate terms of violence from WW, because violence isn't something to minimize, then do it across the board. Otherwise this is a distortion that doesn't make sense to me.

As far as saying all lives matter when there's BLM sign, that is missing the point saying "we need to focus on this specific type of violence" and being tone deaf to that message. Because when you use the word lynch, you're not actually specifying what type of extrajudicial violence you're even talking about. I'm not being tone deaf about racial connotations or history of lynching being about Black people, because that isn't what the word means and lynching happens worldwide.

As far as it being an awful term and can't we use other terms, all this fake violence could be said to be awful. Guess we have different opinions where we draw the line for entertainment. It's OK to twist someone's head off or stab them to death, but dear God don't call mob violence a lynching.

We don't discuss hangings, crematoriums, draggings, and for me, that makes sense. That *is* specific to violence against groups along racial lines.

This is an article about the shift away from "lynch."

I don't have a problem with a cultural change per se. One issue raised was how to encourage the shift, and a lot of people felt they shouldn't be punitive about it.

Like I said, it's fine if people want to shift away from lynch, but it is pointed out that is very American-centric, and when people use it to mean extrajudicial violence, they are NOT misusing it, and they are NOT saying a bad word.

But that isn’t all that it means. To exclude the racial component is just whitewashing the term. It was coined by a slave owner in Virginia who made it up for “dealing with the negroes”, as your Wikipedia article points out.
Did you read the whole article? The origin of lynch laws was for a dude who was dishing out non-fatal colonial justice, usually to whites, and had acquitted several Blacks. The largest lynching in history was Italian immigrants.

So when Mexicans lynch Mexicans for non-racial reasons, they're white washing the term?

Throwing in my two cents even though I'm not playing this game, but I've been skimming along and saw this conversation going on;

I think it's important that we understand that a lot of minority groups get essentially hate crimed, and that there has always been violence based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender expression and sexual orientation.

But I do think the term lynch, specifically, brings about thoughts of violence against people of color, definitely black people but let's be honest the more melanin you have the more dangerous that is (but again, MOSTLY black and those mixed). I do appreciate the use of yeet in place of that. Yeet is silly, and doesn't have association with hurting groups of people that i know about.

While I think that genny's take on cray's take is maybe a little bit much, I agree with the general sentiment. Hate crimes are pan-minority felt, we, unfortunately, see that a LOT. In larger instances, you can start talking about if something can be considered a genocide (thanks HMR131 at UCD!) But I think lynch is really a term that talks about specifically the experience of black people in America.

I agree derpclear is ableist, may I propose "bimboclear" and "himboclear" Reclamation of Bimbo

Sources: My DNA says north indian, my mama's family moved from India to El Salvador, where she then came to America as a refugee in the 90's from the civil war. My dad's hella Irish. Grew up in not super safe areas of Stockton, CA. My fiance is trans. We are a genZ, California stereotype; Tim and I ain't going near Sundown Towns any time soon.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Throwing in my two cents even though I'm not playing this game, but I've been skimming along and saw this conversation going on;

I think it's important that we understand that a lot of minority groups get essentially hate crimed, and that there has always been violence based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender expression and sexual orientation.

But I do think the term lynch, specifically, brings about thoughts of violence against people of color, definitely black people but let's be honest the more melanin you have the more dangerous that is (but again, MOSTLY black and those mixed). I do appreciate the use of yeet in place of that. Yeet is silly, and doesn't have association with hurting groups of people that i know about.

While I think that genny's take on cray's take is maybe a little bit much, I agree with the general sentiment. Hate crimes are pan-minority felt, we, unfortunately, see that a LOT. In larger instances, you can start talking about if something can be considered a genocide (thanks HMR131 at UCD!) But I think lynch is really a term that talks about specifically the experience of black people in America.

I agree derpclear is ableist, may I propose "bimboclear" and "himboclear" Reclamation of Bimbo

Sources: My DNA says north indian, my mama's family moved from India to El Salvador, where she then came to America as a refugee in the 90's from the civil war. My dad's hella Irish. Grew up in not super safe areas of Stockton, CA. My fiance is trans. We are a genZ, California stereotype; Tim and I ain't going near Sundown Towns any time soon.
Lynching was first extra judicial punishment. In more recent memory it is mostly against black folks but not always. It is an apt description of what happens in a werewolf game where the crowd decides who to kill due to suspicions they did something bad. If mods decide they want to change terms around that is fine, but it doesn't mean that people using the term are being dismissive of the problems people of color face any more than it means we are dismissing the problems that people who have been the victims of violent crime face when it is revealed who has been killed overnight in the game.

Reactions: 3 users
I had actually wanted the first thing I said off post restriction to be that DocE is easily one of my favorite personalities on SDN. Whenever he posts its like a sprinkling of golden manna from the butt of a unicorn.

He's one of my favorite people, and I'm pretty PO'd that a bunch of noobs were gonna be so rude as to yeet him off his first day back from like a 2 yr hiatus just because he said someone was a bad villager and with trash reads. He wasn't being particularly wolfy even.

I'll point out more where DocE is a genius and you guys could learn a lot from him. Sometimes we need mean players to elevate the game. Rah rah cheerleading hasn't done much to improve some of you.

For the record, LIS was a HELLUVA lot meaner to me when I was a noob. I straight cried, almost quit the game and all of WW for life. But in hindsight some of the meanest players were some of the best and they taught me a lot. I wouldn't take it back for nothing.

I like the game being contentious and cantankerous, to a point. I also play to win, winning is fun.
Moving this here because it's off topic, but be careful about the "I got mine so you get yours" mindset. I absolutely don't mind prickly players, in fact I enjoy playing with them, and in some (okay sometimes many) instances am a prickly player myself. But what you are describing about being reduced to tears and almost quitting the game forever is toxic as hell and not a playing environment that is fun, no matter how rose-colored your glasses are looking back on it. Being slightly less mean than that isn't an improvement, it's somehow failing to get over a bar so low it's set in the ground.

There is a difference between good natured but cantankerous play and... that. All of the most vicious players I've been in games with also knew how to read the room for people's limits and when to back off a little and clarify. When people are expressing that you're being so hard that they dread even checking the game thread then it's a great time to reassess and reel it in, not call them cupcakes who can't handle being pushed.

Everybody knows what WW games are like and how heated they can get. Doesn't mean that a ceiling doesn't exist for the acceptable level of ferocity of play.

I have seen plenty of ferocious players walk themselves back at least a little, this game included. Doing so doesn't reduce their ability to elevate gameplay and doesn't make other players worse off.

Reactions: 13 users
I feel this. The whole cycle thing is hard whether it's short or not once you have responsibilities. I know school seems overly burdensome, and god knows it sucks, but you actually have tons of time to be online in school - middle of classes, while studying, etc. Once you're in practice (or raising kids or ...), it's just not so easy.

With my schedule I come and go, and when I work, it's usually 2-3 days at a time, 14 hr/day shifts. There is no way I'm participating when my 14-hr shift goes to 16 hours, I have a 30-minute drive time at either end, leaving me 7 hours at home to eat/shower/sleep/other things. I feel like the on-again off-again stuff gets viewed as sus, which is understandable but sucks. And when you are off, it's hard to come back and dive in deeply.

Very very gently toying with the idea of some sort of cap system that still encourages participation. I don't like the idea of a min+max post count for players. So rather than do days/nights based on time (12-hr, 24-hr, 36-hr cycles) and rather than min/max-cap players, I was debating how to implement a page cap.

Something like: N0 caps at Pg 2, D1 caps at Pg 4, N2 caps at Pg 5, D2 caps at Pg 7, etc.

Something that encourages players to get online and post early in the cycle, or they might lose their chance if other players have jumped in. Encourages players to plant flags early, otherwise they won't get a chance and that will likely be viewed as sus.

It would definitely suck if your schedule means you miss an opportunity, but it would limit how long it takes people to catch up and it would force early engagement.

Dunno. It definitely has cons. But I'm tempted to see how it would work.

ETA: Putting stars around it since it's entirely not game-related.
Moving this over to sign ups because off-topic but I wanted to say that this is actually a really neat idea. Though I do wonder if, because page numbers are based on number of posts and not length, we would see a ton more wall posts :laugh: Either way though I think it would be a cool experiment.

Reactions: 5 users
Moving this over to sign ups because off-topic but I wanted to say that this is actually a really neat idea. Though I do wonder if, because page numbers are based on number of posts and not length, we would see a ton more wall posts :laugh: Either way though I think it would be a cool experiment.

This is a fun idea. I agree that it is worth a trial run.

I think there would need to be a post restriction. Otherwise it would be too easy to force the end of a cycle.

Wall posts aren't all bad when there aren't 2000 other posts to read.

This is a fun idea. I agree that it is worth a trial run.

I think there would need to be a post restriction. Otherwise it would be too easy to force the end of a cycle.

Wall posts aren't all bad when there aren't 2000 other posts to read.
I think I've mentioned it in a dead chat somewhere but my eyes start to glaze over when I'm reading really long posts, and they're harder for me to digest quickly if I'm in between appointments at work or whatever.

That's definitely a me problem, but that's why it was on my mind as a potential drawback. Others may prefer it that way!

I think I've mentioned it in a dead chat somewhere but my eyes start to glaze over when I'm reading really long posts, and they're harder for me to digest quickly if I'm in between appointments at work or whatever.

That's definitely a me problem, but that's why it was on my mind as a potential drawback. Others may prefer it that way!

I could forsee Lawpy-style One line posts, or me-style flavor posts having a disproportionate effect on the game.

Though I'm sure we would also all change our playstyles to try to adapt to the new game.

• Wow
I think it'd be neat because near end game you could see wolves play their hand and see if they can force a vote close on a player for the win. I think it would inspire some fun and bold strategy

Reactions: 4 users