The MCAT Twitter Thread (AKA MCAT-oholics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so many of us are in the same boat, right?

We all have to take this exam, and lets be honest, it sucks. It's a roadblock and it's annoying. But we HAVE to do it, so we might as well enjoy it.

At the same time, I think having a 'support group' would be helpful. So why not post about MCAT trials/tribulations here?

Did you have an awesome study session? Grasp concept that you were having trouble with? Beast that practice test?

If so, post!

Did you have a crappy study session? Are you failing miserably at figuring out something seemingly simple? Just get frustrated at that practice exam you just took?

If so, post!

MCAT-oholics unite!

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished all of the Kaplan Qbank questions for Physical sciences. Wow, they are hard. It's really been helping my freak out factor and my timing, though. Hopefully, there won't be too many problems come 1 week from now. I really just want to be done with this already.

I just took AAMC 4. I have got to stop making STUPID mistakes and/or changing my first answer... becuase in both PS and BS I was 4 questions away from a 13 and 14 raw score. I just wanna yell at myself right now. Ugh.

Just finished all of the Kaplan Qbank questions for Physical sciences. Wow, they are hard. It's really been helping my freak out factor and my timing, though. Hopefully, there won't be too many problems come 1 week from now. I really just want to be done with this already.

I'm going to start working on those in earnest soon. That's going to be the bulk of my targeted review for PS and BS. Just to work through some passages and figure stuff out.

I think I'll be doing that 3-4 days a week for the last 3 weeks up to my exam. I hope they help solidify my score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Teach me your ways...

my problem with verbal is mainly timing. Before I start a test, I jot down timings for when i should start each passage giving myself 7 mins per passage(53 mins-passage 2, 46 mins passage 3,etc). this gives me about 10 mins of 'extra time'. So if a passage is tough, i allow myself 2/3 mins more -which i can do for a maximum of 3 passages. who knew VR involved so much math!

Technique-wise - I just underline stuff that seem important in the passage. I also underline words like 'NOT' or 'EXCEPT' in the questions or answer options. they're usually already written in capital letters but I seem to be blind like that (from previous mistakes).

I just finished reviewing 7 TBR exams. I've been doing this since friday and I am so sick of it.

This is why you should review exams at most a day after taking them. You get so much more out of it!

Now I'm going to go hang out with friends for a couple of hours, then study till 11 tonight (4 hrs), and take AAMC 5 tomorrow morning.

I have 7 Ek 101 exams left and I've been getting 9's and 10's so far. Really hoping to start getting 11's and 12's. I've started seeing some of the mistakes I've been making and I review the tests very well after finishing. So I'm hoping to start seeing dividends soon. I think 7 of those tests spread out over the next 3 weeks should be good + the 6 AAMC's that I'm taking. I might print out some of the TPR exams if I get the chance to do those.

Go team!

I only have a month left and I've become soo burnt out. Is this normal? I feel like I should be extra motivated since it's the final stretch but all my "caring" is disappearing fast lol

Going to take EK 101 #8 shortly.

I had an MCAT dream last night. I woke up thinking that I got a 9/6/13 on a practice exam. Lol.

I only have a month left and I've become soo burnt out. Is this normal? I feel like I should be extra motivated since it's the final stretch but all my "caring" is disappearing fast lol

I think now you're done most of your content review so you should take some time off if you need it and just practice and brush up what you need to.

I feel the same way with the weather getting better and my friends starting to go hiking and out to festivals and such.

I think this time is critical to putting the finishing touches on your preparation and more importantly ensuring that you don't burn out.

Finished Ochem Section 2 (out of 6)

>Boring as heck, time for passages. Can't wait to be done with this content review B.S.
>Started doing passages, NMR and fractional distillation comes up, wth, that's not even in the chapter i read.
>Done with 4/29 G-chem.

Last edited:
Finished the EK exam.

Another 10. I didn't finish in time but I was in a really weird mood before starting and it took me a little bit to get in the groove but i was flying after that.

I think that I fall for similar styles of question stems in this. I also think that EK might be more nitpicky than aamc, but it's good practice for that very reason.

I'm going to go study for a couple of hours at a coffee shop and then come home and review this test. Going to look over a bunch of things tonight: some formulas, hormone stuff, some other bio stuff, and a hair of orgo.

Taking aamc 5 tomorrow morning. Amped.

Last edited:
haven't done one bit of studying since last 5 days.. have guests (two friends w/ a kid!) over.. they were supposed to leave yesterday, but their length of stay just got extended by two more weeks.. guess i can't get much studying done during this time.. :( so much for the eye of the tiger ;)

Finished Ochem Section 2 (out of 6)

>Boring as heck, time for passages. Can't wait to be done with this content review B.S.
>Started doing passages, NMR and fractional distillation comes up, wth, that's not even in the chapter i read.
>Done with 4/29 G-chem.

i remember spending an avg of 15-20 mins per passage in BR Ochem section 2.. but i think it paid off in that it helped me link various concepts together :)

I had wanted to take a week off after finals to relax before I dove into MCAT studying but with a July 16th test date idt I can anymore :( Kaplan class just started and I'm already behind because I have so many papers to write.

Just finished AAMC 5's PS section.

I feel like I'm rocking it and only get caught up 3-4 times on questions, then the last passage is something that I wanted to look at last night/this morning and totally forgot.

FUUUUUU!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man.

I don't know what to say...

The last aamc (4) I took was on feb 21st. I got a 9/10/10 for a 29 with 108 questions right.

I took AAMC (5) today and got a 9/11/10 for a 30 with 110 questions right.

I missed getting a 10 in PS by 1 question.

I know a 30 isn't anything to scoff at, but after doing all the TBR tests and reviewing for the last 2.5 months, I would have hoped that my score would have been higher. I guess I'll just have to take another AAMC and evaluate then.

/frustrated...

Edit: You have got to be effing me. I got a PS question wrong that was so freaking easy. Why I got it wrong? I think the wording of the question was terrible. Now that I look back on it I can kinda see what they meant, but the wording is still piss terrible.

/even more frustrated.

Edit 2: Most of my PS mistakes were on simple/stupid things. On the bright side, these are easily fixed.

Last edited:
i just took kaplan fl 9.. the last kaplan im taking, and from now on its all aamc's. i was doing so good on verbal, having plateau'd at an 11, but on the last 2 kaplan full lengths ive gone down to an 8. WTFFFF?! i honestly hate kaplan verbal.

Oh man.

I don't know what to say...

The last aamc (4) I took was on feb 21st. I got a 9/10/10 for a 29 with 108 questions right.

I took AAMC (5) today and got a 9/11/10 for a 30 with 110 questions right.

on the bright side... YOU GOT AN 11 IN VERBAL. idk but in my book thats a pretty good thing :)

Agreed. I think I just missed some pretty basic stuff in physics.

To be honest, I'd be psyched if I keep the 11 in VR.

I'm hoping to hit 11 in PS and BS as well and stay there. Lets see if I can hit it on wednesday when I take the next test. It was just frustrating to study for 2 months and see no increase in either PS or BS, which I studied a TON. Guess I should have been doing more practice problems too. I'll fix that over the next 2.5 weeks. Holy crap that is so soon!

Reviewing this exam now and some of the PS errors are pretty freaking stupid. I think my BS score will jump if I study more orgo so I think I'm going to do that this weekend with some review and some kaplan passages.

Last edited:
Just noticed that one of my PS mistakes was because my answer click didn't register for some reason.

I have the answer circled on my scrap paper and it's correct.

Guess I got a 31 after all. Huzzah.

I hope I don't have to worry about clicks not registering on the real deal!

Am I allowed to do that?

Last edited:
decided to take the PS section of AAMC 4 even though I had a headache and am super congested.
Got a 7.
Though, started missing a lot more by the last 1/4 of the exam, and also stopped trying.
Honestly, with the material on the exam (LOTS of chem! :D) I could have gotten a 10 with 10 more questions (I guessed/did not care about like 15).
I guess I feel a little better knowing that.
Though from the two AAMC I have taken, for PS I KNOW I need to work on circuits, waves, acid-base chem, and optics.
Everything else I did pretty damn well on.
I'm going to end the night by working on those in my TPR workbook, finish AAMC 4 tomorrow, post game on wednesday, and take AAMC 5 on thursday.
I'm hoping doing some of the TPR passages on my weak areas over the next few days well help my PS score.
I am also referring to my Kaplan quicksheet, which I consider my cheat sheet. over the next 2.5 weeks, I need to know it backwards and forwards!

Happy Monday!

I just had my soul crushed by BR buffers/titration passages. Oh well atleast now I understand it somewhat. Time for organic ugh.

My liver hurts from drinking too much Coffee. Anyways, today I focused on E&M. I thought I knew it well, but after practicing I realized how confusing the topic really is. I did all Princeton Review problems & EK problems. Even though I got most answers correctly, I still feel like I don't have a strong grasp on the topic. :confused:

Coffee is actually very good for the liver!

My study schedule is all sorts of messed up right now.

I applied for a new job and they want me to come in for an interview. This week or next week. I'm trying to figure out how to fit it all in or if that's even possible. I have to do this behind my boss and things are getting complicated.

I'm supposed to take a test tomorrow, but I'm going to push it to thursday afternoon and study tomorrow because I didn't get all that much done. I can't slip up right now, but that's life.

I'll make it up over the weekend. I've got nothing else to do but drill down some more. I can't wait to get this over with.

Took TPR #4 PS got a 10 :((. First passage I bombed, I admit I had no clue what they were talking about. Missed 4 of them there. The other questions were pretty dumb errors. I should have only missed 3, on forgetting what I learned/difficulty

1 on Acids/Bases (two pKa titrations)
1 on Galvanic Cells vs. Electrolytic Cells
1 on Doppler Effect

Time to correct a bunch of Physics/G-chem Passages I've recently done. Gonna update pg 8.

This test is hardly about content and more about limiting dumb errors.

Last edited:
Took TPR #4 PS got a 10 :((. First passage I bombed, I admit I had no clue what they were talking about. Missed 4 of them there. The other questions were pretty dumb errors. I should have only missed 3, on forgetting what I learned/difficulty

1 on Acids/Bases (two pKa titrations)
1 on Galvanic Cells vs. Electrolytic Cells
1 on Doppler Effect

Time to correct a bunch of Physics/G-chem Passages I've recently done. Gonna update pg 8.

This is what I'm finding as well.
If I learn more content, I'll get 2 more questions right a section. If I cut down stupid errors, I'll get 6 more right.

Huh.

So officially three weeks left ahhhhhh! For these last three weeks, I'm doing 2 AAMC's per week, along with content review of whatever I get wrong on the tests... meaning tons and tons of BR passages. I'm also trying to focus more on organic, so I've been taking a full length BS section test from kaplan every day I'm not doing AAMC's. Gahhh i reallllyyy hope all this studying pays off.

PS. I hate expoxides.

AGREEEEED

Trying to finish up passage sweep today on G-chem + Physics. Reviewed some acid/base stuff.

>Correct Passages.
> 2/3rds done, finish the rest.

Still on the schedule...

(1) Light and Optics [lenses]
(2) Electrochemistry

I'll review these topics when they come up before I tackle them on the passages.

Last edited:
DAMMIT. i totally fell off the wagon with studying, i haven't touched my books in quite a few days, except for the 2 verbal passages a day that takes a grand total of 20 mins. So mad at myself. i'm gonna take a page out of mp's book & post my goals for the day.

BR Electrochemistry chapter - take notes
complete alternate passages for electrochem

DAMMIT. i totally fell off the wagon with studying, i haven't touched my books in quite a few days, except for the 2 verbal passages a day that takes a grand total of 20 mins. So mad at myself. i'm gonna take a page out of mp's book & post my goals for the day.

BR Electrochemistry chapter - take notes
complete alternate passages for electrochem

it's not falling behind, it's just a spontaneous break ;)

Took a bio section test TPR #4. Got a 13, finished with 20min left. I didn't do it with ideal conditions, laying on the couch watching house md lol. Background knowledge definitely helped considering a medical microbio background. Finally Ochem is not biting me in ass, 3 more parts for O-chem (important molecules, lab techniques, and some other ochem mechanisms) then I can hit the passages for Ochem as well. There's so much more practice material + tests to do.

Need to do a AAMC soon, tomorrow? By this weekend I need to do AAMC #11. It's important for me to have an idea of where I stand as far as the latest test goes. Also I haven't done verbal since my last AAMC.

Planned a Las Vegas trip post-exam. One month after I take this dang test I probably will have forgotten everything related to it, so wtf is the point of taking it anyway besides jumping through a hoop, damn waste of life.

Last edited:
Took a bio section test TPR #4. Got a 13, finished with 20min left. I didn't do it with ideal conditions, laying on the couch watching house md lol. Background knowledge definitely helped considering a medical microbio background. Finally Ochem is not biting me in ass, 3 more parts for O-chem (important molecules, lab techniques, and some other ochem mechanisms) then I can hit the passages for Ochem as well. There's so much more practice material + tests to do.

Need to do a AAMC soon, tomorrow? By this weekend I need to do AAMC #11. It's important for me to have an idea of where I stand as far as the latest test goes. Also I haven't done verbal since my last AAMC.

Planned a Las Vegas trip post-exam. One month after I take this dang test I probably will have forgotten everything related to it, so wtf is the point of taking it anyway, damn waste of life.

Completely agree with your last point. And everytime you post scores, they're pretty much awesome:thumbup:

I need to get some of MP's bio mojo.

I need to eek out a point or two more out of my exam today. I think I've finally started figuring out the reasoning stuff required. Lets see if it works out.

I need to eek out a point or two more out of my exam today. I think I've finally started figuring out the reasoning stuff required. Lets see if it works out.

Wow Ride, I really should have been on this thread a loooooong time ago! Good job on the morale!

I can't get out of the 8 8 8 plateau! Its all the stupid mistakes...so tired, and done. Unfortunately, this means I must continue to fight the battle until, I can get at least 2 more pts on ea section.
Does anyone know once you void the test if it stays on your record? I was thinking about going to take it, since I paid for it and will be loosing the $, for the experience, then void it.

keep up the great job everybody...:thumbup:

Taking AAMC 7 tonight. Goal is straight 11's. 1 pt increase in PS/BS and holding VR. Lets do it.

BUT before that, I have to go to a job interview at 1:30 tomorrow.

Eep!

Hahahaha I've been doing the Bio section tests and getting a 67% ewww. Lol, atleast we're getting good practice!

On the q bank? Yeah. I'm going to start working these into the rotation. I think some of them are really strange and nothing like the AAMC, but it seems like decent practice.

How are your scores on the AAMCs?
What would your advice be for improving on the qbank passages? I can't believe how many I get totally wrong. Many more than the TBR exams lol. EEK!

Last edited:
Eep!

On the q bank? Yeah. I'm going to start working these into the rotation. I think some of them are really strange and nothing like the AAMC, but it seems like decent practice.

yeah ive been doing qbank also but section tests are if you go to the kaplan toolbox they have 7 section tests which are all full length bio sections timed with 52 questions. the orgo on the section tests is spot on aamc so i think they're helpful in that aspect.

yeah ive been doing qbank also but section tests are if you go to the kaplan toolbox they have 7 section tests which are all full length bio sections timed with 52 questions. the orgo on the section tests is spot on aamc so i think they're helpful in that aspect.

Thanks. I'll hit up the orgo then. I need a lot of help with that. I wish I still remembered things as well as I did when I was in UG...

I need to review some of the carbonyl chemistry for all the crazy synthesis rxns.

My mojo is unreliable: 13,10,13,10 ad infinitum

Continuing with OCHEM!

How are your scores on the AAMCs?
What would your advice be for improving on the qbank passages? I can't believe how many I get totally wrong. Many more than the TBR exams lol. EEK!

Sorry I just saw this...weird. I'm on thru my phone so it's cutting things out. I've been getting 12-13s on Kaplan and aamc for bio. Honestly I would say highlight detail that seems diff bc it's for sure gonna come up in the questions. Also process of elimination. I find that w Kaplan bs it's more referring to the passage then outside info. Go back to the passage EVERY single time you're unsure. Unless I'm positive it's a pseudo discrete I don't use background knowledge bc the passage may say/want something else. AND most importantly...dun dun dun...don't second guess yourself. Second guessing myself on aamc 3 caused me to get an 11 bio when if I hadn't changed 4 answers that I had right I would've had a 13. Lol sorry for the extra long post!

Gonna start bio in a sec.

I'm not sure how I feel about this test. 7 is pretty hard. I finished PS very confused about what had just happened. I feel like I tanked it, but I put it behind me and worked on verbal. Ran a little short of time on verbal but was able to answer everything.

Could have used a couple of mins more though. I need to learn to move on when I'm stuck better. I think about things for way longer than necessary.

Done.

10 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS.

3 away from a 11 on PS, 1 away from an 11 on VR, and 1 away from a 12 in BS.

2 questions away from a 33. Hitting a 33 was my goal today. So close. I can taste it. I had trouble finishing in time on VR. If I had used my time a hair better, I think I would have had that one question right.

Things are going well methinks. Just need to push through this!

Done.

10 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS.

2 questions away from a 33. Hitting a 33 was my goal today. So close. I can taste it. I had trouble finishing in time on VR. If I had used my time a hair better, I think I would have had that one question right.

That's great! On a side note, how are you practicing for writing? Or will you?

Done.

10 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS.

that's great! :thumbup:

Just took AAMC #6. Still need to finish the BS part. I just finished verbal, I thought I F'ed up really bad and was pretty depressed for about 10 seconds. Decided to score it then and there because if I did f up I'd have to drop all bio ochem studying and just run with verbal practice. Now time to start BS.

PS 15
VR 11

BS 10

63% right on Ochem, o yea

Total: 36

Post Game:

Feeling confident about PS now, although I have no clue why TPR PS scores are so variable.

PS: 50/52 Missed 1 more than I should have.....dumb error.
VR: 33/40 ?No clue.
BS: 38/52 Missed 6 more than I should have - 1 that I got from luck. I should have gotten a 43/52 with the knowledge base at that time (11). With Ochem maybe another 2/3 right [hypothetical high of 12].

Ochem: 12/19 -> 7, need to finish content to see where I really am
G-Bio: 26/33 -> 2 are of material I have yet to review

(1) Go over bio w/ checklist from AAMC.
(2) OCHEM!

G-bio: Reproductive, Hormones again, MS system, etc.
O-chem: The rest. Hopefully when I'm done with this I can finally get above a 10 on BS.
Physics and G-chem: Sporadically, probably electrochemistry/lenses.
Verbal: ? lol Maybe some practice passages.......maybe

Last edited:
I still want your PS mojo!

Looks like we're neck and neck in VR. I guess I just need to do more content review/practice for PS, huh?

2 weeks. Think I can knock the PS up 2 notches? Seriously, what do you recommend.

Alright, game plan for today/tomorrow.

Today: Go chill in a coffee shop for a little bit and do a little content review (orgo and phys), then go home and do q bank stuff.

Tomorrow: Up early, gym, then take an EK 101 exam. All by noon. Then study do some more practice and go out in the evening/afternoon.

Sunday: Gym in the AM. Study till the afternoon and then hit up AAMC 7.

This time get those 2 questions right and get that bloody 33.

I still want your PS mojo!

Looks like we're neck and neck in VR. I guess I just need to do more content review/practice for PS, huh?

2 weeks. Think I can knock the PS up 2 notches? Seriously, what do you recommend.

Since your scores are pretty even (and above 30), I'd focus on whatever you think you can easily raise. If it's PS, then yea, content review + passages should be plenty. As you can see from my passage record, I have never gotten 100% on a set of passages I have done, or even 95%, more like 90%. So if you know enough to get 90% more or less you should technically be able to get a 15 (and with a drop of luck too).

I'm still going to keep at the VR practice and content review for both BS and PS.

I think for PS it's lapses in content. In VR it's justttt starting to click so I need to figure out which traps I'm falling for. BS, I need to practice so I can get better at working through stuff. And of course, Orgo review. I did well on orgo yesterday, but I'm honestly pretty rusty. I have no idea how it worked out for me, but I'm not counting on it being so easy on the real deal.