****The Official Columbia Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Do you mind me asking when you interviewed?
I interviewed the first or second interview day back in September I can't remember the exact day

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when the next notification date will be especially for folks who interviewed mid to late November?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone living on campus?

How is everyone weighing Columbia vs their state school/any cheaper school they got into. Im just thinking about money alone here, and I would like to hear anyone else's thought process. Im a nontraditional applicant, so I have actually been living in a 2000 sq ft house for the past 5 yrs; do you all not own cars/is the move to a small apt not a concern at all?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone living on campus?

I probably won't, the lobby was nice but I googled the rooms and they were ehh. The students not living on campus were only paying $100 more and the apartments I saw off campus looked better, just have to get roommates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone weighing Columbia vs their state school/any cheaper school they got into. Im just thinking about money alone here, and I would like to hear anyone else's thought process. Im a nontraditional applicant, so I have actually been living in a 2000 sq ft house for the past 5 yrs; do you all not own cars/is the move to a small apt not a concern at all?
I'm having a rough time with this but I'm almost certain that I've came to my decision with Columbia. I grew up in Alabama and nothing interests me more than such a prestigious school in NYC. It's just a once in a lifetime opportunity that I can't pass up. Student loans will suck, but I'm sure Columbia will help us out enough to succeed and thrive after school. Just my thoughts though

Is it hard to qualify for on campus housing as a first year?

It's gonna be a big change for me not gonna lie. I LOVE driving/my car so leaving it behind will be an adjustment, and as for living that will be somewhat of an adjustment as well. However for this school, at least for me, it's more than worth it.

I'm having a rough time with this but I'm almost certain that I've came to my decision with Columbia. I grew up in Alabama and nothing interests me more than such a prestigious school in NYC. It's just a once in a lifetime opportunity that I can't pass up. Student loans will suck, but I'm sure Columbia will help us out enough to succeed and thrive after school. Just my thoughts though
I got into UAB and Georgia as well, It sounds like we are having the same struggles.

I got into UAB and Georgia as well, It sounds like we are having the same struggles.

I also got into UAB and Georgia and I've decided on Columbia. It's entirely a personal decision and the other two schools are good schools in their own right.

If any of you november interviewers get a call, please let us know

Does anyone know if they will be giving out anymore interviews?

Waiting by the phone today like..o_O lol

Has anyone emailed admissions?

So I was that person who called admissions. She said if you haven't heard back yet, you will not hear back til January. She also said it doesnt mean anything if you haven't heard back yet. They will wait for those accepted to respond on Dec 31st so that they know how many available seats there are to offer another wave of acceptances.

Reactions: 5 users
Just a heads up for those of you applying for on-campus housing: avoid Bard Hall. Towers are pretty nice.

How do the towers compare with off campus options? And do you recall when they send the housing guide with the apartments they recommend?

Depends on the off campus option, the apartments off-campus really vary in quality (with the nicer stuff being a lot more expensive). I think the housing fair was in mid-July, but the orientation page they'll eventually set up for you guys should give you some more information before then.

Depends on the off campus option, the apartments off-campus really vary in quality (with the nicer stuff being a lot more expensive). I think the housing fair was in mid-July, but the orientation page they'll eventually set up for you guys should give you some more information before then.

Okay thank you! By expensive what range do you mean? I've seen some places (2 bedrooms mainly) ranging from $2250-$2700 or so but I'm assuming that's the rate for the entire apartment and not each room individually.

Okay thank you! By expensive what range do you mean? I've seen some places (2 bedrooms mainly) ranging from $2250-$2700 or so but I'm assuming that's the rate for the entire apartment and not each room individually.

I'm in a 3 bedroom right off campus and it's about 3000 a month to split 3 ways (give or take depending on room size etc.). I'm inquiring about the facebook group, just asked our class president so i'll get back to you on that!

I'm in a 3 bedroom right off campus and it's about 3000 a month to split 3 ways (give or take depending on room size etc.). I'm inquiring about the facebook group, just asked our class president so i'll get back to you on that!

Is it one of those 3 bed one baths? How nice is it compared to the towers? And thank you!!!

Is it one of those 3 bed one baths? How nice is it compared to the towers? And thank you!!!

Towers can be hit or miss. My brother lived in a duplex in tower 2 on the 28th floor with an awesome view of the hudson, but I've heard of people living in some pretty poor conditions too (gross showers, etc.). My apartment is 3 beds 1 bath, but we had the chance to take a 3 bed 2 bath for nearly the same price.

Towers can be hit or miss. My brother lived in a duplex in tower 2 on the 28th floor with an awesome view of the hudson, but I've heard of people living in some pretty poor conditions too (gross showers, etc.). My apartment is 3 beds 1 bath, but we had the chance to take a 3 bed 2 bath for nearly the same price.

Okay that's what I figured haha, the photos in the google search weren't the greatest so I think I might try to go for a two or three bedroom and get roommates instead.

Literally there's like no pattern to how they do things , they really are unique in that way, they really try their best to give any candidate the best chance regardless of when they applied and stuff , at least I felt that way

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Now that I'm banking on post December interviews to get in this cycle, I was kinda considering applying to Columbia within the next week to increase my chances of getting in this cycle. I keep hearing that Columbia does things differently, but I'm still kinda unsure if it would be worth paying like $175 (AADSAS fee + supplemental fee) to hope for an interview from here.

What do you think? My DAT is at their average and my GPA is in the 3.5-3.6 range

Now that I'm banking on post December interviews to get in this cycle, I was kinda considering applying to Columbia within the next week to increase my chances of getting in this cycle. I keep hearing that Columbia does things differently, but I'm still kinda unsure if it would be worth paying like $175 (AADSAS fee + supplemental fee) to hope for an interview from here.

What do you think? My DAT is at their average and my GPA is in the 3.5-3.6 range

Your odds are better the earlier you apply imo, but they interview into late Feb. I applied in July and got an interview mid February.. it's really hard to predict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your odds are better the earlier you apply imo, but they interview into late Feb. I applied in July and got an interview mid February.. it's really hard to predict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol yup that's why I'm conflicted. If they hold applicants in July to the same level as applicants in December, I'd consider applying

Does Columbia do a background check/how much does it cost if they do?

So who all is going for sure? I just decided I'll be attending

Does anyone know roughly when they're going to announce the second round of acceptances. I was told January, but I was wondering if anyone knew more specifically based on their past experience or last years' threads?

Does anyone know roughly when they're going to announce the second round of acceptances. I was told January, but I was wondering if anyone knew more specifically based on their past experience or last years' threads?

Most schools do the week after New Years so maybe then?

Prestige doesn't matter in dental school! Name doesnt matter! Money and cost of tuition does! Please don't waste your life accumulating 350K in debt. Please be smart and ask people about how hard it is.

At the risk of sounding incredibly nerdy, anyone attending have suggestions for how to prepare for the first year science load? I wasn't a science major so I haven't taken things like anatomy & physiology, immunology, or histology. I was thinking of just watching some lectures on youtube? Im just looking for specific resources that will correlate highly with classes. I have lots of free time as I only work 4 days.

At the risk of sounding incredibly nerdy, anyone attending have suggestions for how to prepare for the first year science load? I wasn't a science major so I haven't taken things like anatomy & physiology, immunology, or histology. I was thinking of just watching some lectures on youtube? Im just looking for specific resources that will correlate highly with classes. I have lots of free time as I only work 4 days.

I am not attending Columbia. I would just review basic physiology concepts and some light anatomy to get comfy with some terms and topics. Then you can get the class and full structure in DSchool. You can use youtube for the physiology stuff, and find a syllabus of a physiology class online.

Other than that, be ready for reading and a lot more dense material versus the pre-reqs. Some are easier than others for different people, but It will be more memorization, application, and critical thinking in higher level sciences. Also, more specific for each topic you may have already covered.

edit: I wanted to add. Staying discipline in your studying if probably key to it all. It makes any science class manageable and in my opinion more fun. There is less stress, and you get to focus on the material and not catching up.

Last edited: