****The Official Columbia Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I believe the last interview was on 2/10.

The last interview was 2/17 - I only know this bc I interviewed on the 10th and they told us we were the second to last interview. Still haven't heard back though but I've read on SDN that it can take a while for some interviewers to meet with the adcom because a lot of them are (busy) alumni with their own practices, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students chime in with their opinion of on-campus housing? I heard most people live off-campus. What are the best options for someone who wants to live alone in a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom close by to campus, or at least close enough to justify saving some money if it is expensive near the school?

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students chime in with their opinion of on-campus housing? I heard most people live off-campus. What are the best options for someone who wants to live alone in a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom close by to campus, or at least close enough to justify saving some money if it is expensive near the school?

Not a current student but my interview is still pretty fresh in my mind! They said that on-campus housing is hard to get because they prioritize students who are from farther away (like if you live in the tristate area/Northeast then you'll have very slim chance of getting it) but that off-campus housing is reasonable (I think students mentioned <$1.5k) in the area because of Washington Heights. Unsure about 1 bed, 1 bath feasibility though! Hopefully an actual current student can correct me if I'm wrong or add on!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a current student but my interview is still pretty fresh in my mind! They said that on-campus housing is hard to get because they prioritize students who are from farther away (like if you live in the tristate area/Northeast then you'll have very slim chance of getting it) but that off-campus housing is reasonable (I think students mentioned <$1.5k) in the area because of Washington Heights. Unsure about 1 bed, 1 bath feasibility though! Hopefully an actual current student can correct me if I'm wrong or add on!
Thanks! Hoping you hear good news soon

Withdrawing my offer, and losing my deposit. Good luck to you all! Hopefully this will free up a seat soon.

For those that have been accepted: Is the 2nd deposit coming up soon?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone hear back from columbia recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
More acceptances going out this week or the next.

Reactions: 2 users
There are a decent amount of seats left, and they also said they will be sending out more acceptances this week. Hang in there.
Thanks for letting us know this! Can I ask you how you know this information?

I noticed that past few years they sent out a good number of acceptance letters a week after the last interview date but I am not really seeing that trend this year. Maybe people are more quiet this year.

Thanks for letting us know this! Can I ask you how you know this information?

I noticed that past few years they sent out a good number of acceptance letters a week after the last interview date but I am not really seeing that trend this year. Maybe people are more quiet this year.
Things are different this year, running late I guess. And I'm in touch with people who are similarly waiting for their well deserved acceptance

Hopefully we hear back before our 2nd deposits are due. I myself, have 3 weeks left. AHH

I always eat out. I'd cook if I had more time, but it's too much of a hassle right now.

Hassle because you don't have the time since you need to study? I'm assuming you eat cereal or something for breakfast and then eat out for lunch and dinner?

Hassle because you don't have the time since you need to study? I'm assuming you eat cereal or something for breakfast and then eat out for lunch and dinner?

During the week between classes and studying, cooking just becomes really low priority for me. There's time for it but not enough for me to want to spend it on cooking. I usually skip breakfast and eat out for lunch or dinner.

Reactions: 3 users
During the week between classes and studying, cooking just becomes really low priority for me. There's time for it but not enough for me to want to spend it on cooking. I usually skip breakfast and eat out for lunch or dinner.
Dang that's intense

Sent from my HTC_E9pw using SDN mobile

Ever done meal prep? At any rate I hope lots of Halal guys is included in that number

Ever done meal prep? At any rate I hope lots of Halal guys is included in that number
Meal Prep is a lot easier than people think, but it is also easier said than done. People who work out on a consistent basis and are concerned about their weight usually meal prep in addition to counting their macros. Halal guys are too far away from the campus, I doubt people are willing to go that far for a 10 dollar meal. There are halal street stands almost every 5 city blocks that sells for 5-6 dollars with or without a drink.

Meal Prep is a lot easier than people think, but it is also easier said than done. People who work out on a consistent basis and are concerned about their weight usually meal prep in addition to counting their macros. Halal guys are too far away from the campus, I doubt people are willing to go that far for a 10 dollar meal. There are halal street stands almost every 5 city blocks that sells for 5-6 dollars with or without a drink.

What's near the campus that is good?

I want to apply for student loans to cover the cost of tuition - I am applying for 2 scholarship programs but don't want to hold my breath. Anyone start applying for loans? I filled out the FAFSA- but am at a complete loss of where to go from here. Anyone have info that could point me in the right direction? I've never had loans before so you'll have to speak to me as if I'm five :)

edit: found this (http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/LoanInfo.html) which has been very helpful, and recommend those who are in the same boat as me take a read. Now that I'm somewhat knowledgeable in the types of loans and what I may qualify for, anyone have experience with loan application? When is the right time to apply?

edit2: I will continue to update this with helpful links.
financial aid handbook: http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/16-17/DNHDBK1617.pdf
how to apply for loans: http://sfs.columbia.edu/financial-aid/private-loans#how_to_apply
Columbia recommended private banks: http://sfs.columbia.edu/files/sfs_new/content/pdf/15-16 Lender Chart-Domestic Grad as of 01.07.pdf

Do you or anyone else on here have the link to a page with the breakdown of the costs of the next 4 years? I just got the acceptance but need to see how much I'll be borrowing for hah...GULP

What's near the campus that is good?

Depends entirely on your preferences, I greward up eating unhealthy food like KFC, pizza, Chinese take out, and a ton of Hispanic food especially rice and beans.

Dang I LOVE Chinese food lol
There are a lot of small chinese take out restaurants, which is not authentic but catered to the American taste.

Does anyone know how the heck I can contact admissions? Every time I try calling Diana, it goes directly to voicemail. Doesn't even ring once.

Does anyone know how the heck I can contact admissions? Every time I try calling Diana, it goes directly to voicemail. Doesn't even ring once.
No idea. I've called numerous times and it would go straight to voicemail as well. I finally spoke with a lady and left a message a couple of weeks ago... I haven't heard back.

No idea. I've called numerous times and it would go straight to voicemail as well. I finally spoke with a lady and left a message a couple of weeks ago... I haven't heard back.

So weird. Same thing here.

Depends entirely on your preferences, I greward up eating unhealthy food like KFC, pizza, Chinese take out, and a ton of Hispanic food especially rice and beans.

There are a lot of small chinese take out restaurants, which is not authentic but catered to the American taste.

Awesome! Sounds bad. It when it comes to Chinese I think I prefer the Americanized versions. Any names in particular to check out?

Do you or anyone else on here have the link to a page with the breakdown of the costs of the next 4 years? I just got the acceptance but need to see how much I'll be borrowing for hah...GULP

ImageUploadedBySDN1488932556.780825.jpg

Here you go!

Nah all the small chinese take out restaurants are basically the same. They also offer a healthier alternative with less soy sauce, no msg and sugar but it tastes worse than home cooked meals. So pick your own poison.

You can definitely find very cheap meals if you are willing to go the distance to Asian neighborhoods like Chinatown and Flushing. Fresh produce are significantly cheaper in Chinese neighborhoods which keep local restaurant costs low for customers.

Last edited:
100k per year? Hah good one. More like 125k per year

Random question for current students: How often do you cook vs. eat out?

I used to cook alot last semester, but I've recently changed my meal plan in Bard to 2 meals per week. It's 9$ a meal and you can change your plan at the beginning of the semester (up to 3 meals per week, 45 total). The best part is they let you bring tupperware and take any leftovers after 7:15 so I almost always have a lunch and dinner for the next day after each day I eat at meal plan.

When I'm at the library, I usually just go to a local deli or chipotle for dinner since it's convenient.

Just to elaborate on delis, or bodegas as they are commonly referred as in the Hispanic community near Columbia, is a small and local grocery store that sells cheap meals throughout the whole day. You can have a typical American breakfast such as eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausages, coffee and etc. My favorite part of delis is the option to buy cold cut sandwiches because they are relatively cheap and fast to make. Delis also offer hot sandwiches and other sides like potato salad, french fries and etc.

Just to elaborate on delis, or bodegas as they are commonly referred as in the Hispanic community near Columbia, is a small and local grocery store that sells cheap meals throughout the whole day. You can have a typical American breakfast such as eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausages, coffee and etc. My favorite part of delis is the option to buy cold cut sandwiches because they are relatively cheap and fast to make. Delis also offer hot sandwiches and other sides like potato salad, french fries and etc.
Are you a current student? Or are you just familiar with the area haha

Are you a current student? Or are you just familiar with the area haha
Im just familiar the area because I volunteer in all of the boroughs and Columbia dental school has a few public elementary schools nearby. I used to mentor elementary students and guide them for a more academic career path. Let's just say Columbia dental school is not located in the safest neighborhood.

Okay I was going to hold my tongue, but for the good of the SDN community I'm going to give better foodie advice because it;s clear this person doesn't actually spend time where the dental school is. Most students live in the towers or really close to campus.

1. There are no bodegas within the Columbia "campus bubble" (west of Broadway from 167th to 172nd). The nearest is an 8-10 minute walk away and an unpopular choice when you're busy and have a limited time for lunch. You are very much in a bubble, with much better food options, so you'll learn right away the places that are within walking distance. Washington heights is known for bodegas OUTSIDE of our bubble, but if you actually spent time around campus it's clear that none exist that are convenient to get to. The dental school and "the Towers" (name for the tall student dorms) are allllll the way West, on Haven Ave. The most popular places to get breakfast are Hilltop Perk on Haven Ave ($3.00 bagels, really good), and Mike's Bagels on Broadway ($2.75 I think, but bad coffee). There is a Starbucks (really its a Barnes and Noble) that sells bagels as well and is RIGHT on campus if you're in a pinch, but they're not as good. There are also small food places within the academic buildings (cold sandwiches, the Hammer building has sushi!, lots of snacks and of course coffee).

I would say for lunch, popular places are: Hilltop Perk on Haven Ave (organic options, hot buffet for breakfast and lunch for $8.75/lb, sandwiches $9), Jou jou (chopped salad for $9, CASH ONLY, in between Broadway&Ft. Washington), Mike's Bagels (cold sandwiches $8, takes card), Chipotle, Como Pizza for a slice (really greasy for lunch though...), Tasty Deli (huge sandwiches, can't remember price), and Strokos (lots of organic options, salad bar, hot food, lots of sandwhich options...one of my favs), Thung Thai (great thai food)

You will probably be living on or very near campus (hopefully), so I know a lot of students pack their lunch in the mornings.

2. There is a green halal truck that has sat on campus (outside of Hammer on Ft. Washington/168th) for YEARS. I can literally see it now. How dare you say there is no halal around! They're very beloved, $6 for a chicken&lamb over rice plate. It's delicious.

3. There is a lack of good Asian food options in Washington Heights in general, unfortunately. There are 2 Chinese food places close by: Jade Garden (decent but not amazing), and Empire (has low ratings, seems sketch to me so I haven't tried). If you try to google map "Sushi", you'll see what I mean. There are no sushi places close to Columbia at all.

The area is only slightly dangerous if you go very very east on Broadway at NIGHT, and since there's not much there most people feel no need to venture there. Where the majority of students will be living, it's very, very safe. I have taken the subway to 168th at 3am and walked across campus - there is always police presence and people around because the hospital and ambulances are open. Also, there is a "safety ride" where if you are a Columbia student, you can call and give them your ID number and they'll come pick you up from where you are and take you to your dorm (from 10 minute radius, I believe...they won't pick you up from a midtown bar, haha). We get safety alerts whenever crimes happen to a Columbia student on campus - I don't think in 2 years I've ever received one from this area (ironically, all of the alerts have been from crimes happening downtown at the undergrad campus on 116th). The area is VERY SAFE, even if the people look different than the state you came from.

*Not a dental student. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Okay I was going to hold my tongue, but for the good of the SDN community I'm going to give better foodie advice because it;s clear this person doesn't actually spend time where the dental school is. Most students live in the towers or really close to campus.

Obviously I don't go to Columbia dental school, but that doesn't mean I haven't actually spent time there. I have spent my entire life in New York City, and I'm confident in all the areas that I have volunteered at.

Whether you decide to walk 5-10 minutes for cheaper food "outside the bubble" is up to you. Everyone knows that Columbia Dental school's COA is not cheap, people will make sacrifices to cut down costs.

2. There is a green halal truck that has sat on campus (outside of Hammer on Ft. Washington/168th) for YEARS. I can literally see it now. How dare you say there is no halal around! They're very beloved, $6 for a chicken&lamb over rice plate. It's delicious.

3. There is a lack of good Asian food options in Washington Heights in general, unfortunately. There are 2 Chinese food places close by: Jade Garden (decent but not amazing), and Empire (has low ratings, seems sketch to me so I haven't tried). If you try to google map "Sushi", you'll see what I mean. There are no sushi places close to Columbia at all.

*Not a dental student. Hope this helps!

Obviously, you didn't read my previous messages clearly. I said there weren't any nearby Halal Guys, not the typical average halal stands on every 5 city blocks. Bruh I already said, there aren't any good Chinese Restaurants since they are not authentic.

You were going to hold your tongue because you didn't read all my food posts. So take the time to read it over.