The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sofpink

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone who has submitted still not had their transcripts marked as received? My School sent my transcript on May 25. Does it usually take this long? I feel like it should have been there by now
 
has anyone who has submitted still not had their transcripts marked as received? My School sent my transcript on May 25. Does it usually take this long? I feel like it should have been there by now

If they sent them electronically they should have been received, at least in my n=1 experience/understanding of the process
 
So I keep reading score posts where someone says "I'll upload my scores to the spreadsheet". Is there a spreadsheet of all the April+May 2016 scores? I know @mcatjelly made one that included scores up to Jan 16 but I haven't heard of another sheet since that one...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
So I keep reading score posts where someone says "I'll upload my scores to the spreadsheet". Is there a spreadsheet of all the April+May 2016 scores? I know @mcatjelly made one that included scores up to Jan 16 but I haven't heard of another sheet since that one...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think they're talking about the Reddit spreadsheet. You can find it in the sidebar of Reddit.com/r/mcat


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! 🙂
 
has anyone who has submitted still not had their transcripts marked as received? My School sent my transcript on May 25. Does it usually take this long? I feel like it should have been there by now
Some of them take a while. I had to send in three transcripts, one was electronic, the other two took at least a week before they were marked by AMCAS. Don't worry about it too much
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any one of my 5/20 friends here accessed AACOMAS on a Mac product? I'm in Europe right now with only my Mac Air and I'm trying to work on my apps so they're ready to go when I get my MCAT scores (assuming they're enough that I take the plunge). However, the dashboard doesn't show up. I've tried looking up the system/technical specifications 1000 times and 1000 ways but I'm getting nothing.
 
Any one of my 5/20 friends here accessed AACOMAS on a Mac product? I'm in Europe right now with only my Mac Air and I'm trying to work on my apps so they're ready to go when I get my MCAT scores (assuming they're enough that I take the plunge). However, the dashboard doesn't show up. I've tried looking up the system/technical specifications 1000 times and 1000 ways but I'm getting nothing.
On a macbook air here too. Not sure what you mean by the dashboard, just the main screen where you see the application?
 
On a macbook air here too. Not sure what you mean by the dashboard, just the main screen where you see the application?
Ugh I hate that you can't post your own pictures on here...anyway it's the main screen you use to work off on AACOMAS, the "My Application" tab. The notifications part is visible on the left, but the main section for navigating and working on the app is not. I've been on the app successfully before, but with my Dell laptop.
 
Ugh I hate that you can't post your own pictures on here...anyway it's the main screen you use to work off on AACOMAS, the "My Application" tab. The notifications part is visible on the left, but the main section for navigating and working on the app is not. I've been on the app successfully before, but with my Dell laptop.
I was having some trouble getting back to that page too. Have you selected your schools yet? I remember that after I picked one school it let me go to the end of the application and I could select the My Application tab after that.
 
Any one of my 5/20 friends here accessed AACOMAS on a Mac product? I'm in Europe right now with only my Mac Air and I'm trying to work on my apps so they're ready to go when I get my MCAT scores (assuming they're enough that I take the plunge). However, the dashboard doesn't show up. I've tried looking up the system/technical specifications 1000 times and 1000 ways but I'm getting nothing.

I remember last year, they reamped the AACOMAS application and stated that it worked best on Firefox. Maybe try Firefox web browser or other browsers? I don't think it's your MacBook Air. I'm using MacBook Pro from 2010 and AACOMAS is working fine?
 
anyone checked out the scores from May 14? They seem a bit lower to me. Feel like I saw a lot more sub 510's and sub 500's than the other one in early May. Might just be reporting bias on the first one.
Yeah there seemed to be a lot of low scores on the reddit page unfortunately :/ making me even more nervous for my own scores coming < 1 week
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Five days. AAMC is almost done performing their black magic rituals and will soon be ready to tell us all our futures. Shall we be applying or shall we be retaking. AAMC shall tell us all.

In case things don't go well, were you planning on a retake for this cycle? Or do you think it is better to hold off until next cycle?
 
In case things don't go well, were you planning on a retake for this cycle? Or do you think it is better to hold off until next cycle?
I was recently accepted to a program where you take a few med classes, if you do well you get accepted straight into MS1 the following year. The spots are reserved for us until May when they decide. It has a 90 percent matriculation rate and it's my top school. They make you retake the MCAT if yours is too low, so I'm hoping I'l have a high enough score.
If I wasnt accepted I would prob restudy and take beginning of August.
 
I was recently accepted to a program where you take a few med classes, if you do well you get accepted straight into MS1 the following year. The spots are reserved for us until May when they decide. It has a 90 percent matriculation rate and it's my top school. They make you retake the MCAT if yours is too low, so I'm hoping I'l have a high enough score.
If I wasnt accepted I would prob restudy and take beginning of August.

Oh nice, what program is this? And how did you come across it? I wish I had applied to a couple of those!
 
Oh nice, what program is this? And how did you come across it? I wish I had applied to a couple of those!
It's a program from my state school. They invite a few people that applied to the previous year who didn't get into the medical school. I had a 503 on MCAT which was pretty low, but they liked the rest of my app. I am very thankful that I received an invite.
 
Constantly switching back and forth from wanting this wait to be over to being to scared to actually look at my score. This is the worst
That's me right now!! I kinda like this whole denial state I'm living in. Its like having both a 472 and a 528 at the same time.

Either way I'm going to have fun up until then and going to have drinks on hand for whatever the outcome is.

Sent from my LGLS990 using SDN mobile
 
That's me right now!! I kinda like this whole denial state I'm living in. Its like having both a 472 and a 528 at the same time.

Either way I'm going to have fun up until then and going to have drinks on hand for whatever the outcome is.

Sent from my LGLS990 using SDN mobile

Agreed might as well make the best of this weekend. And I'm really happy I have the day off when scores get released so I can do the same haha.
 
who here /hype/ for their scores

I will edit this comment every few hours to alternate between sheer terror and excitement
On the 21st I'll probably change it to disappointment
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting to get heart palpitations....

This is my attempt at visually representing my post-MCAT anxiety. Numbers are days post-MCAT, height is anxiety level.
__________________________29


_______________________28

_____________________27
1-2______________25-26
__3-4_________23-24
____5-8____21-22
_______9-20