The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sofpink

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?
 
Last edited:
Really late reply here, but I've been out of town for a bit.

My general thoughts on the 20th test:
C/P: This is my strongest section in general. My best subjects are chemistry, organic, and physics. I usually do very well on all practice sections of C/P, but I definitely felt that this C/P section was very challenging compared to the practices tests I've taken. I still hopefully did well (fingers crossed), but it was definitely harder than any C/P section I'd practiced.
CARS: I felt as though this was easy at first, but got harder, but maybe that was just me psyching myself out because I was a little behind on time, so I tried to rush near the end. There were a couple of passages in the middle that I got too bogged down on bc a couple of questions kept bothering me so I stayed on them too long. Overall, an average-ish CARS section.
B/B: The B/B on my test was very easy in my opinion. A couple of discretes messed me up, but the passages were generally easy to understand and it wasn't too bad. Overall, an easy bio section.
P/S: HOLY COW. This section was a slaughterhouse. Misguided and overconfident coming out of a successful bio section, I expected to cruise through the P/S section as I usually did pretty well on this section. Boy, was I wrong. This section was hard, ambiguous, answer choices were very similar so it was hard to pick, it was NOTHING like the practice tests I'd practiced, and it was overall a completely different beast than what I had prepared to slay. Overall, this section railed me.

I chose to score my exam, so there's not much left to do except pray that the curve is in our favor.


Just wondering what practice tests did you use?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really late reply here, but I've been out of town for a bit.

My general thoughts on the 20th test:
C/P: This is my strongest section in general. My best subjects are chemistry, organic, and physics. I usually do very well on all practice sections of C/P, but I definitely felt that this C/P section was very challenging compared to the practices tests I've taken. I still hopefully did well (fingers crossed), but it was definitely harder than any C/P section I'd practiced.
CARS: I felt as though this was easy at first, but got harder, but maybe that was just me psyching myself out because I was a little behind on time, so I tried to rush near the end. There were a couple of passages in the middle that I got too bogged down on bc a couple of questions kept bothering me so I stayed on them too long. Overall, an average-ish CARS section.
B/B: The B/B on my test was very easy in my opinion. A couple of discretes messed me up, but the passages were generally easy to understand and it wasn't too bad. Overall, an easy bio section.
P/S: HOLY COW. This section was a slaughterhouse. Misguided and overconfident coming out of a successful bio section, I expected to cruise through the P/S section as I usually did pretty well on this section. Boy, was I wrong. This section was hard, ambiguous, answer choices were very similar so it was hard to pick, it was NOTHING like the practice tests I'd practiced, and it was overall a completely different beast than what I had prepared to slay. Overall, this section railed me.

I chose to score my exam, so there's not much left to do except pray that the curve is in our favor.

My experience was pretty much the same.
C/P: This didn't seem too bad.
CARS: Felt like the passages were longer and I was rushed at the end.
B/B: I think this was my best section. It seemed consistent with practice tests I took.
P/S: was WAY HARDER than any practice material I had. There was one passage that didn't seem to make any sense. I usually have extra time at the end, but for this section, I needed every minute. I'm thinking this section will lower my score quite a bit 🙁

I've been trying not to think about the test because it frustrates me. I'm hoping I can finally relax tomorrow. If I get a low score, I don't know what I'll do. I really don't want to retake it. Too much trauma haha.
 
Last edited:
My experience was pretty much the same.
C/P: This didn't seem too bad.
CARS: Felt like the passages were longer and I was rushed at the end.
B/B: I think this was my best section. It seemed consistent with practice tests I took.
P/S: was WAY HARDER than any practice material I had. There was one passage that didn't seem to make any sense. I usually have extra time at the end, but for this section, I needed every minute.
Damn you can still remember? All I can remember is something about flatworlders from CARS. No idea why that's the only thing popping into my head haha. Probably because CARS gave me some serious anxiety.
 
Damn you can still remember? All I can remember is something about flatworlders from CARS. No idea why that's the only thing popping into my head haha. Probably because CARS gave me some serious anxiety.

Haha, I can't remember anything content-wise. I just remember the difficulty. Yeah, for some reason CARS and P/S REALLY stressed me out, but the C/P and B/B sections weren't too bad. On all the practice tests I took, I had plenty of time to relax on P/S, so this test was really frustrating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am freaking out about tomorrow! I applied to a special program so as long as I get a 500+ I will get accepted to the school of my dreams. So. Much. Pressure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I JUST CAN'T DEAL.

AKSDOAKSDPOASDO

but seriously I am too excited (terrified) for tomorrow. I'm taking nyquil to get some sleep.


aSMDKASMPJWEOPR124O12-4P
LP"A:>SAS><EO[K2[1K24P
1242412

^edit: my keyboard mashing looked a lot like the B/B section :laugh:

Lets see here,
aSMDKASMPJWEOPR124O12-4P
LP"A:>SAS><EO[K2[1K24P
1242412

So we have Alanine, Serine, Methionine, Aspartate, Lysine, Alanine, Serine, Methionine, Proline, uhhh J.... Tryptophan, Glutamate, 6-O-methylguanine??? Proline, Arginine 124 mutated to 6-O-methylguanine....


See AAMC I know my stuff!
 
They should be buying you rounds! Haha what part of Europe?
Lol...it wasn't like "oh I'm getting my MCAT score tomorrow, let me buy rounds!", it was just my turn. I'm currently in Vienna, Austria, but I am packing up right now for the drive to Prague, Czech Republic. I came to Europe on May 24th for a short study abroad program. Then on June 12th I started with an escorted group travel vacation thing. I was trying to take advantage of already being here, but man I am ready to be home. Yesterday I was so homesick I stood in front of the US Embassy and cried while watching the American flag wave in the wind.

I actually slept the whole time since I posted last night until I had to wake up this morning. I know they say that alcohol sleep quality is poor, but hey I don't have to operate any heavy machinery today. I just have to log into AAMC and my credentials are saved in my laptop lol. I'm going to be stuck in coach bus until we get there, which will be like 7 hours. I'm afraid if they release scores while I'm traveling and mine are less then desirable, I'll be trapped in there where I can't jump, scream, drink, or do anything really to cope. It's going to be a long day for me, because I'm 6 hours ahead so I'm already up...hopefully I can go back to sleep on the bus.
 
So our scores can be released anytime from 8-5.....great. Just like calling the damn cable company - "Sure we'll have someone out to your house anywhere from 7-3!" Gee thanks just tell me the damn time!
 
Formation, the last two releases have been at weird times like 8:07 and 12:13 or something like that (at least according to Twitter). Not sure if we'll get an email or anything, or if the Twitter announcement happens as soon as it is posted.

Am I the only one that is actually kind of feeling nauseous? :hungover:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm using international data roaming to check all the sources I mentioned above every 5 minutes, even though I keep putting my phone on airplane mode and trying to sleep.

Enjoy Prague! All I remember is seeing the artists' paintings while walking across the Charles bridge and the astronomical clock. It was nice and relaxing.. Too bad about the timing :/

No scores yet just checked