THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am looking to take the Biochemistry course online through UNE. I've seen some posts that suggest that most DO schools accept UNE online courses, but does this mean most MD schools do not? I can understand why certain schools frown upon online courses, but for the full-time working folks Brick and Morter classes may not be viable option. Has anyone had experience with MD schools outright not accepting an online course from UNE (or other?).

And has anyone recently taken the Biochemistry course, and can offer a few words of advice for success in that class? I've seen posts by people who took the online biochemistry a couple years ago and say its just an utter beast.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I never bought the carey supplement, so the only problems I had were the handful in the HW docs she posted for the first 6 modules. So long as you have the PP on hand you should be fine. The questions are exactly like what was on the quiz, and in some cases may even be the exact same questions.

Did you save the quiz questions or something? I can't bring mine up.... I took them like 2 months ago... and like you said I actually found that test bank, but I found it on like quiz 2 lol. 70% for the final is just so nerve-wracking !!!!

Did you save the quiz questions or something? I can't bring mine up.... I took them like 2 months ago... and like you said I actually found that test bank, but I found it on like quiz 2 lol. 70% for the final is just so nerve-wracking !!!!

I didn't save the quiz questions, I just remembered ones I had seen before when they popped up on the final because from start to finish the class was only 3 weeks long for me. Everyone I've ever seen post on here says that the 70% grade thing is intimidating, but once you're actually doing the final you realize you've started buzzing through the questions you'll relax. 4 hours is PLENTY of time to do 100 multiple choice questions. The first Ochem2 test I took at my university was 14 pages long, rxn's, synthesis, and mechanisms and our time limit was 55mins. Now THAT was a nerve wracking test.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there I am looking into to taking the pathophysiology course but kinda nervous since some people on here said it was almost impossible to get a B. Is there any tips? or should I just not take it? ahh

For the record, UNE's biochem is incredible. I wish I still had access to the old lectures, as some were better than the ones I have received in medical school in regard to ease of understanding and depth.
Hi mad jack. I'm thinking about doing a few classes online at UNE. Do you know how professors are about writing letters of recommendation for students?

Can anyone share their experiences with organic chemistry I?

Can anyone share their experiences with organic chemistry I?
I took the class and the final is worth a good part of the grade, I would suggest saving the lecture notes I did not find it an easy class. The book I believe was written by the professor the lab section was not bad and they send you a disc that you use for a simulating lab

RE: the O Chem II final:

I abused the index of the book and found that many of the questions were rephrased directly from the chapters. Like I found the specific sentence that was represented by the question. I think it is open book because many of the questions are so trivial that no matter how well you know O Chem, you would be unlikely to retain that particular detail. At first, I found most of the questions to be pretty easy if you actually had read the chapters / studied... but there were a handful that were just too esoteric. Then, I realized, they had given me 4 hours to do 100 questions, and that I'd be a fool if I didn't look up any of them where I was uncertain. So, question about protein folding (for instance)? Check the index... yes, discussed on these three pages. Flip, flip, flip... hey, look, there is the VERY question written as a statement, including the particular answer choice.

It felt a little cheap, really, but I'd already been admitted and this last class was just a formality. I didn't even need a high score... just to pass it. And I was following the rules of the exam to the letter. I don't even feel wrong about sharing this, because I haven't mentioned any specific exam content, just discussed the published terms of the test set up and my approach to working within that framework.

Over all, I'm not sure that I learned much, if anything, in the course that would have been important for MCAT that I didn't learn elsewhere, other than a handful of NMR interpretation factoids that are already gone from my head now. It was just the last hoop I had to jump through, after I was already conditionally admitted. My O Chem I instructor at community college covered most of the material for the first half of this course, and my biology / biochem coursework in the past covered most of the latter half, so in many ways it was just a review / survey course for me.

In the same circumstances, I'd absolutely take this course again, as the ability to knock out a 16 week course in just about a month of actual effort, at my own pace and from home, was an incredible benefit. But if I were coming to organic chemistry with no prior knowledge / experience / interest, and really needed to learn it from scratch, I'd stick with my local community college. There would be a hands on lab and interactive lecture, which can be helpful for mastering new concepts, and at 1/3 the cost. But then, I have a great local CC with moonlighting profs from the surrounding universities. YMMV.

Reactions: 3 users
I took the class and the final is worth a good part of the grade, I would suggest saving the lecture notes I did not find it an easy class. The book I believe was written by the professor the lab section was not bad and they send you a disc that you use for a simulating lab
Thanks for the reply. Was this the first time you took OChem? Can you use the notes for the exams? What other resources can you use for the exams? Do you think 2 to 3 hours of studying a day will be enough to get an A or should I put in more time?

I too am curious if the UNE professor's are willing to write letters of rec

is medical physiology a good course for taking as a post bacc course prior to med school? or do you think they would prefer patho because when i looked at both curriculums online the medical physiology one looks more doable for bad test takers like myself

When did you take the class? I've heard that the professor before Rowe (Manyan I think?) had a much tougher course than what is there now.

I too am curious if the UNE professor's are willing to write letters of rec
@metoo

I've never heard of getting a LoR from distance courses. The whole idea is that it's a prof that knows you personally and can speak about all of your virtues.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you take the class? I've heard that the professor before Rowe (Manyan I think?) had a much tougher course than what is there now.

@metoo

I've never heard of getting a LoR from distance courses. The whole idea is that it's a prof that knows you personally and can speak about all of your virtues.
I've gotten 2 letters from distance learning classes one from BYU and the other from the University of Utah. I don't know what professors can learn about me in person that they can't otherwise. I can Skype with them if they wanted.

I've gotten 2 letters from distance learning classes one from BYU and the other from the University of Utah. I don't know what professors can learn about me in person that they can't otherwise. I can Skype with them if they wanted.

I guess it depends on the prof, I knew a girl who took 3 classes online from a guy at Oregon Sate, e-mailed him regularly throughout the term about all the quizzes and stuff, then when she asked him for a letter at the end of the last class she took he turned her down in a pretty blunt (read as, "rude") fashion, I guess that just left a stigma on the idea of getting a letter from a distance prof in my head. But hey, if you can do it though, more power to ya.

I guess it depends on the prof, I knew a girl who took 3 classes online from a guy at Oregon Sate, e-mailed him regularly throughout the term about all the quizzes and stuff, then when she asked him for a letter at the end of the last class she took he turned her down in a pretty blunt (read as, "rude") fashion, I guess that just left a stigma on the idea of getting a letter from a distance prof in my head. But hey, if you can do it though, more power to ya.
I guess I'll just email the professor before I enroll. I would think UNE professors would be willing to write letters since probably quite a few people take their science courses solely from UNE online.

Rowe is teaching organic one now at une now?

Oh I guess not, I thought I saw her name next to it last time I was on their registration page, but I must have been looking at one of the gen chems... my bad.

Has anyone had experiences outside of UNE for sciences online? I took Chem 1 through UNE but would like to explore other options, as my experience has been it is a lot like just reading the textbook, so I hate to pay so much for it. I am sure I will keep coming back because of the self-pased measure and bimonthly start up. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the reply. Was this the first time you took OChem? Can you use the notes for the exams? What other resources can you use for the exams? Do you think 2 to 3 hours of studying a day will be enough to get an A or should I put in more time?
This was my first time and you can use notes and books I made sure to write notes from lecture and I did study about 2-3 hours

Has anyone had experiences outside of UNE for sciences online? I took Chem 1 through UNE but would like to explore other options, as my experience has been it is a lot like just reading the textbook, so I hate to pay so much for it. I am sure I will keep coming back because of the self-pased measure and bimonthly start up. Any thoughts?
I did take a class from iowa lakes online and paid around 600 a class

@metoo

I had Dr.Mayan

For anyone who cares, here is some feedback I received from Admissions offices when asking about online prereqs:

DO School 1:
“So long as the institution offering credit is regionally accredited, it is acceptable for admission to XXXX. We leave it to the institution to decide how to offer the course and the accreditation body to endorse its validity. University of New England courses have been acceptable to our admissions committee members. As far as the preference between in-person or online, there has been some debate in the medical school admissions community about this topic. This has been the case due to higher enrollments in these courses … It is question of quality. The question remains whether there is a similar quality "experience" online as there is in the classroom. There is very limited (if any) information on how students who enter medical school perform who completed their courses online. So there is much speculation but limited data to form an opinion on the topic. Again, our threshold about what counts as credit is based on accreditation. We leave to the student to determine the quality of the course experience when he or she decides to enroll. This is true whether you were comparing two in-person classes as well. I would evaluate your performance in the online courses within the context of your overall academic record. This as well as your performance on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) should give us some perspective of your level of academic preparation. This would be true for any applicant.”
MD School 1:
“The form of class attendance is not dictated, though the preference is to in-classroom instruction especially for the science courses, and would be reflected on your application: The rigor of your academic preparation is one of the characteristics assessed in the admissions process. It is expected, then, that you will be a GREAT student wherever you are able to complete your coursework. Yes, the preference is to four-year universities, but we understand this is not always possible. (again, be a Great student and your preparation will be reflected in your academic and test scores)”
DO School 2:
“We do accept online credits. As you mentioned - yes, we do prefer biology courses to be taken in a classroom, but we have had prior applicants in a similar situation and they have fulfilled the courses through University of New England as well”
MD School 2:
Online coursework is acceptable if from U.S. accredited college or university. Both online and community college courses are not viewed as competitive as the traditional college/university setting. Please keep in mind that your labs will need to be completed in person.
MD School 3:
We have been very pleased with the NECOM on-line courses, so this is a viable option.
MD School 4:
I do not believe there is a preference at our school as long as you challenge yourself with the coursework and do well.
LSU: DO NOT ACCEPT ONLINE.

Do you all feel these courses are doable and/or easy?

Anyone have experience with taking online genetics? I know they give you 4 months to finish it but could someone potentially do it in 4-5 weeks?

I'm retaking 2 classes at the CC with grades coming out beginning of August and since AACOMAS doesn't update until Sept. 1st I was thinking of taking an online science class for one last GPA boost before completing my app.

I didn't save the quiz questions, I just remembered ones I had seen before when they popped up on the final because from start to finish the class was only 3 weeks long for me. Everyone I've ever seen post on here says that the 70% grade thing is intimidating, but once you're actually doing the final you realize you've started buzzing through the questions you'll relax. 4 hours is PLENTY of time to do 100 multiple choice questions. The first Ochem2 test I took at my university was 14 pages long, rxn's, synthesis, and mechanisms and our time limit was 55mins. Now THAT was a nerve wracking test.

Anyway final exam is done got A's in both lecture and lab. That final was easier than gen chem at a community college.... I studied hard, but all of the questions were in the book. I think there were 5 applied questions, but come on, RF value and HDI were two of them. Anyway chalk it up to a $1000+ Cake-walk and peace of mind like none other.

Have you read this thread? No one is saying these courses are easy.

OCHEM II was easier than high school chemistry, if you can read the book and highlight things and learn some basic concepts you can ace it in 2 months!!!! :)))

Thinking about taking Bio 1 and Physics 1 with UNE online.

Couple of questions:
1) Does the class show up as "online" on your transcript, and if taken during the summer 15, does it show up as a summer term?
2) I know the classes are self-paced, but can anyone explain more specifically? How long is each online lecture, how many lectures must be watched before a test?
3) Aside from exams, which it seems half of them are online proctored, how are grades determined? Quizzes, homework's? Anyone care to elaborate?
4) With the labs, are they must-do to get credit? Or can one get away with knowing what the labs are about, from a general sense?
5) How quickly, realistically, can Bio 1 be finished. Judging from their online course syllabus, it seems like basic biology(???)
6) Same as question 5, but for Physics 1; how quickly can it be finished?

Obviously lots of questions here, just trying to figure out how these classes go and if I should go forward with taking them. If anyone has any knowledge about Bio 1 or Phys 1, please share, as those are the ones I'm specifically interested.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone gotten an extension on their UNECOM course deadline? If so, how did you go about it? I'm having trouble communicating with the UNE registrar.

Has anyone gotten an extension on their UNECOM course deadline? If so, how did you go about it? I'm having trouble communicating with the UNE registrar.
I would try the enrollment counselor let me know if you need the number

Anyone have anything to say about Bio 1 and Chem 2 online courses with UNE?

I finished up their "Medical General Chemistry II" course a few weeks back, and finally decided to share my thoughts on the course and the prof, I'll try to keep it concise.

I finished the course with an A, I started on May 19th and I took the final May 29th. The book, quizzes, and final were all very well done and about what you would expect from a genchem 2 course. The lectures and power point slides were useless, I stopped watching them after module 2. So in other words, everything that the author/publisher was responsible for was good, everything Rowe was responsible for was garbage.

I have taken two courses and a lab with Rowe and with each successive course I realize just how inept she is as a professor. In this case, she actually contradicted the book, her own lecture, and the laws of thermodynamics because she was too stubborn to admit she made a mistake when she entered the quiz from McGraw Hill's test bank into blackboard. (I actually found McGraw Hill's test bank online, so I know for a fact that THEY didn't mess it up.)

Rowe's terrible teaching aside, I would recommend the course to others as the book does quite a good job of covering the material, and the convenience of UNE is hard to beat, even though it's a bit pricey. The course follows the same format as the other chem courses they offer, 14 module quizzes are 30% of your grade and the final is 70% The lab (which I didn't take, it can be taken entirely independently) is graded based on the separate lab quizzes. Unlike the virtual lab used in the Ochem classes, this class requires you order a kit from a third party company, the kit runs a few hundred bucks so keep that in mind if you're considering this class.

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone taken medical physiology or pathophysiology
I am taking the physiology class now. I take my first test tomorrow but I don't think it is completely unreasonable yet. I also have already taken physiology with the same book so that might make a difference.

I am taking the physiology class now. I take my first test tomorrow but I don't think it is completely unreasonable yet. I also have already taken physiology with the same book so that might make a difference.
omg I'm so excited that someone has taken it please let me know how it goes and I may hop on the bandwagon

Just a follow up: I completed Gen Chem I through UNE. The final was long (75 questions/4hours) with quite a lot of lengthy calculation problems, but was not overly difficult and did not contain any suprises. If you can confidently solve the quiz and homework questions, you are fine. The course is poorly taught, with online 'lectures' actually just being Dr. Rowe reading from the textbook. If you email to ask a question, you get minimal to no help. If you can self-teach the course from the textbook, you will be fine. Remember the final is 70% of your grade, but it is open note/open book.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone taken Medical Biology 1 & 2 with the program? If so what is your overall feedback about the course?

@Ker2010

-The final was very comparable to the quizzes, if you did okay on them you should be fine for the final. Most of the questions were taken directly from the same pool of questions the quizzes are generated from, so you will see some repeat questions.
-Having the slides on hand should be enough to get you through the questions related to the first 6 modules. I didn't buy the supplement packet with all of the spectroscopy stuff and still manged to look up everything I needed to from the slides.
-I would suggest that if you have to look something up for a question don't try to find it by flipping through the chapter, just look up whatever the question is about in the index so you know exactly what page to flip to.

Were the questions on NMR on the exam hard? Like did they give us the name and we had to figure out what the molecule looked like then determine the different carbons on the molecule?

I dont remember it being that hard, usually the questions showed you a molecule and you had to figure out how many peaks there would be or they would point at a specific carbon and ask what the peak would look like.

Were the questions on NMR on the exam hard? Like did they give us the name and we had to figure out what the molecule looked like then determine the different carbons on the molecule?

The NMR questions are just like the ones in the module quiz, and like what Abraxas said....

They'll have certain hydrogens labeled A,B,C,etc and you'll have to tell which peak corresponds to which hydrogen or vice versa e.g. "The peak at 7.4 corresponds to which of the indicated hydrogens?" or "Hydrogen C corresponds to which peak on the spectrum?" The final will do this with both HNMR and CNMR so know both.

They might also be stuff on there asking you to explain chemical shifts, basically just stuff about shielding/deshielding induction/electron withdrawing groups, etc.

And of course, there will be a few, "The formula and spectra shown corresponds to which of the following structures?" These are pretty easy considering at least two (if not three) of the possible solutions won't even have the right number of H/C atoms.

Im thinking about taking the Orgo 2 and Bio classes through UNE. I was just wondering how the ProctorU experience is? I see everyone saying they used notes during the final. Are a lot of the courses open book/notes or is it just easy to get them pass the proctor? Obviously not saying I would cheat just trying to gain more info on the experience.

Thanks in advance!

Im thinking about taking the Orgo 2 and Bio classes through UNE. I was just wondering how the ProctorU experience is? I see everyone saying they used notes during the final. Are a lot of the courses open book/notes or is it just easy to get them pass the proctor? Obviously not saying I would cheat just trying to gain more info on the experience.

Thanks in advance!

For Orgo the exam was open notes, and the proctors knew this, so you just had to show them your workspace and show that only your orgo notes/book (if allowed) and scratch paper are on your desk.

The Bio class exams were closed book/notes, and honestly you shouldn't need your notes for these exams b/c they are really straight forward so if you do a decent review before the exam you will be perfectly fine, and probably finish the exam in half the time allotted. Again, you have to show the proctor your work space, but this time you can only have scratch paper and pencil along with your laptop. They have remote access to your laptop to ensure you don't have any tabs or programs open other than the exam.

Overall, the Proctor U experience is not stressful at all, and I always forget they are even watching (I'm not even sure they actually pay attention after you start the exam...so I guess you could easily cheat if you really wanted to??)

Has anybody taken their anatomy class? If so would you mind PMing me? Looking for pointers, the class seems like a beast.

For Orgo the exam was open notes, and the proctors knew this, so you just had to show them your workspace and show that only your orgo notes/book (if allowed) and scratch paper are on your desk.

The Bio class exams were closed book/notes, and honestly you shouldn't need your notes for these exams b/c they are really straight forward so if you do a decent review before the exam you will be perfectly fine, and probably finish the exam in half the time allotted. Again, you have to show the proctor your work space, but this time you can only have scratch paper and pencil along with your laptop. They have remote access to your laptop to ensure you don't have any tabs or programs open other than the exam.

Overall, the Proctor U experience is not stressful at all, and I always forget they are even watching (I'm not even sure they actually pay attention after you start the exam...so I guess you could easily cheat if you really wanted to??)

Thanks for the answer!! Really no point to cheat because if you get into med school you wont know the material that way. Nice to know the Proctor U experience is a good one.

Has anyone used this class to replace their old Biochemistry grade and been verified by AACOMAS?

I'm afriad of the worst case that after completing this tough class, it being called "Medical Biochemistry" and from the Chemistry department (titled Chem 1005) will prevent it from replacing my old class titled "Biochemistry" offered through the biology department. (titled Biol 100). The "Medical" in the title worries me about it not being replaced.

I have looked at both sylabbi and both cover the same material, albeit I took my original course on the quarter system.

I have been told I could petition AACOMAS if they don't replace it but I want to avoid a potential headache if possible.

Open notes? Man, can't say I've experienced that with my online classes.