THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both Dallas Community College and Northern Virginia Community College offer college physics 1 and 2 online.
thankyou very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with you on the cost factor.Also, U of M does not have a lab component. I like U of M because they have better teachers and tests that are not just a midterm and a final. You said you finished physics 1 & 2.I am only seeing a physics 1 class on the UNE online website. ive looked everywhere to find a college where i can do college physics 1 and 2 online

I'm so sorry, I meant to type Orgo 1 & 2. Although I have heard from an administrator that UNE is trying to get Physics 2 up and running for 2016. I asked them why they offered 1 and not 2, and he said that they get that question constantly, and are looking into offering it. The validity behind that statement though, I can't say. This was the individual helping me stack my classes so that financial aid paid covered them all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we take classes online through Dallas Community College to replace grades? I see general bio online and anatomy online! I hope they do!

What are your thoughts on community college vs 4 year? I am mainly paying UNE for the name. The classes are awful, the instruction is awful, but it is a well known school. I worry online community college really puts the nail in the coffin. U of M or OSU I can get on board with.

I'm so sorry, I meant to type Orgo 1 & 2. Although I have heard from an administrator that UNE is trying to get Physics 2 up and running for 2016. I asked them why they offered 1 and not 2, and he said that they get that question constantly, and are looking into offering it. The validity behind that statement though, I can't say. This was the individual helping me stack my classes so that financial aid paid covered them all.

Sure now they want to add it. That was the only class I was missing and now I'm stuck taking physics II via U Missouri. I'm not liking the class very much. There are a couple of places that offer it (with lab component) that I looked into but many of them had a set class schedule based on the semesters at the school.

What are your thoughts on community college vs 4 year? I am mainly paying UNE for the name. The classes are awful, the instruction is awful, but it is a well known school. I worry online community college really puts the nail in the coffin. U of M or OSU I can get on board with.

I think that depends on you. Adcoms want to see that you can handle the academic rigors of medical school. The conventional wisdom is that two groups of people can get away with doing prereqs in a "less" rigorous format (CC or online). First, career changers that already did a B.S./B.A. in a traditional format and got good grades. Second, people doing their first year or two of college at a CC before transferring to a four year, where they plan to finish up a course of study. The first group has already shown an ability to succeed in a traditional academic format and second group (hopefully) will.

Reactions: 1 user
This has probably been asked but I can't seem to find the answer. Which D.O. Definitely accept the UNE biochem course or which do not accept it ?
Thanks

Does anyone have anything positive to say about genetics, pathophysiology or microbiology? I'm looking for a course I could squeeze into about 7 weeks I have free between semesters.

I just finished OchemII with a 96%, thought I'd share my thoughts since no one in this thread has mentioned that particular class yet.

The class was kind of a joke honestly, I started on March 18th and took the final April 8th. The only reason it was 3 weeks instead of 2 is because they ask that you give a week's notice when you register for the proctored final exam. The content of the class is divided up between 6 modules of spectroscopy and 8 modules of watered down biochemistry. The end of chapter quizzes were almost entirely taken from an old chem webpage from another university, which I only stumbled upon on the 2nd to last quiz because one of the questions was so poorly written I had no idea what the answer was and threw the whole thing into Google.

That being said, the few questions that do come straight from the book are pretty bad, and by that I mean they are scientifically wrong, or at best half-truths. For example, There was a question that asked, "Which of the following changes in a DNA molecule may have no effect on the protein for which it codes?" and changing the first, second, or third base in a codon were all options for the answer (The correct answer was the third base of a codon). I missed this question and tried to reason with the instructor, I tried to explain to her (With examples) that changes in either of the first two codons may also result in no effect on the protein. She told me that I was right, but, "Changes in the third codon will NEVER effect the protein, and that can't be said for the other two," and that is what the question meant. I sent her more examples of changes in the third base of a codon can result in coding for a different amino acid, etc etc, fast forward 12 emails (literally) and it has become abundantly clear that she doesn't actually understand the concept we're discussing. Finally she tells me that if my grade comes down on the line between two grades she'll consider giving me the point. Apparently my percent in the class was going to determine how DNA works.

The final itself was less frustrating than the quizzes, but only because by that point I had figured out that if a question was strange or had strange answers it meant that it came straight from the book and I just had to look up the key terms in the index until I found the right sentence in the chapter. They give you 4 hours to answer 100 multiple choice questions, I think I did it in an hour and a half, and I double checked all but a handful of questions by looking the up. If you have the class slides and the book in front of you when you take the final you should be fine, even if you have to look up every answer. (They claim you won't have time to do that, but if you can take the MCAT with nothing but a pencil and paper in 3.5 hours, you can take this test with all your notes in 4 no problem.)

All this negative aside, I would recommend UNE to anyone who needs to do some grade replacement, it's a REALLY easy A, and if you have time everyday or time every few days and a strong biochem background, you can knock it out in no time flat. I really hope that the negative parts of this class are just due to the fact that the book and instructor for the course were both lacking, because I have heard nothing but good things from the other courses, and am planning on taking a few more to get my GPA up to something competitive.

This has been quite the long post/rant, but if anyone has any specific questions on something I didn't touch, feel free to ask.

You said that the final was 4 hours when you took it...I just began this week and the syllabus says 2 hours for 65 questions...is this new?

Selling the UNE Organic Chem I lab book and software. PM me with an offer. I have photos and use a risk-free app for buyers. Also accept paypal, venmo.

Members don't see this ad :)
You said that the final was 4 hours when you took it...I just began this week and the syllabus says 2 hours for 65 questions...is this new?

Yeah they changed it at the beginning of June of this year. Instead of one 70% final, there is one midterm (50 MCQ's) and one non-cumulative final (65 MCQ's) each worth 35%.

I got an A in the class with the new format, it is very doable.

Previously it was a 4 hour exam and 100 questions. It was way more time than anyone needed. I had time to double check every single question and finished in 3.5 hours. It was overkill on my part but I had the time and it was worth 70%. The new format is much better.

So I haven't been able to find a definitive answer but has anyone been able to find out a list of which D.O. schools accept or if it's easier which D.O. schools DONT accept UNE's Biochemistry course.

I graduate in May 2016 and the only class I would be missing is Biochemistry and so I'm wondering if it's worth taking the online course over the summer or taking it at my school in the fall?

Thank You

So I haven't been able to find a definitive answer but has anyone been able to find out a list of which D.O. schools accept or if it's easier which D.O. schools DONT accept UNE's Biochemistry course.

I graduate in May 2016 and the only class I would be missing is Biochemistry and so I'm wondering if it's worth taking the online course over the summer or taking it at my school in the fall?

Thank You
I'll just say, I took the UNE course and seeing the material once before med school made it so much easier when we hit it in 1st year. That said, I don't know if it's worth throwing away your last summer. You could sign up for UNE biochem to take along with your classes in the spring, and perhaps have it bleed over a bit into the summer (which is what I did).

Thank You
William Carey does not accept any online coursework. It was rare to find schools that take an absolutely hardline stance on it. At worst it's usually case-by-case.

Has anyone heard anything about Klinkerch for Orgo? If not I'll probably just go with the Manyan

Thought I'd share, I just completed Med Bio 1 with Dr. Fisher, start to finish in 4 wks, finished with an A. I am not someone to be considered exceptionally smart. If you read the key points at the end of the chapter, do the end of chapter questions, review the quizzes, and read through the ppts, the final is a breeze. Her lectures are actually quite useful unlike the ones from Dr. Rowe in chemistry (Didn't have nearly as good a pace or outcome in that class). Anyway during Bio 1 I was taking OChem 1 at the same time at my local school, work full time and have 3 kids. It did not demand a crazy amount of time. I am starting Med Bio 2 on Wednesday and hope for the same format and outcome.

I'm searching "online biochemistry" and came across this gem :wow: https://bmb.natsci.msu.edu/undergraduate/undergrad-grad-course-descriptions/bmb-401-online-course/

We're talking ~$5K to take a 4cr online class. Yeah...

Yeah f*** spending 5k on one class. That is insane. I am taking Biochem this spring online through CSU and it will be $1676. More expensive than UNE but less material. It also much cheaper than taking it at MSU. The only reason why I am taking it at CSU over UNE is because of the course title. AACOMAS told me that "Medical Biochemistry" will not replace my old course titled "biochemistry", CSU's title is "Principles of Biochemistry" so I'm pretty sure it will replace my old course.

http://www.online.colostate.edu/courses/BC/BC351.dot

Took General Chemistry Midterm at UNE:

So for all those souls out there searching the internet for helpful tips on how to study, here is my take on it.

1. The questions are similar to the quiz questions, not EXACT, because obviously that would be way too easy, but the concept and the same level of difficulty are similar.
2. I studied by printing out the Midterm study guide, and also the Goals and objectives for each chapter. Go through each goal/objective and make sure you understand what they are wanting you to know. This sounds like a drag,but it helps organize your thoughts and you immediately see your weakness and strengths.
3. Study as if it were a closed book exam ( but don't memorize the periodic table or any table for that matter). This will make it easier for you to answer the questions and give you extra time to go over problems you are not sure about and therefore allows you time to work them out or look up confirmation in the book.
4. Have your notes organized. I photo copied the tables and charts in the book that I used a lot, such a the periodic table and other charts I frequently used.
5. Good luck!

Is there anyway to set up a payment plan taking these courses?

Finished Med BIO 2 online in November. I made a 75 raw on the final that got curved to a 93 so an 18 point curve. The final was evenly divided up over the module questions. The quizzes were open book but I would still usually miss one question because of how obscure some of the questions were worded. I skipped every video and crammed the entire course in 2 weeks so for people who want NO life and need to cram the course, it is doable. Final grade was an A but I don't think I made the 94, I think the final grade was curved as well. I thought the course was pretty difficult IMO but that is if it was curved so much. I don't know how much you will learn TBH but there was little to no material on plants which was a huge plus.

Edit: if you try googling the answers to the open book questions, I wouldn't bother they are often wrong. Also I think I saved my quizzes. BTW my class was with Dr. Fisher and she was generally helpful when I asked some questions. Overall the course was pretty good but I wish I wasn't forced to cram it...I am paying for it now studying physiology on the mcat. If you want advice to study for the final, go over all the quizzes the questions are similar but typically easy and evenly divided up (15 modules = 75 questions = 5 questions per module). Just my advice

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@SlugMD is the CSU course self paced as well?

No it isn't. There are 14 quizzes that must be taken weekly that correspond to the 14 modules of the class. You must also take each your 4 exams within a certain time period.

Since I have posted my comment, I have come across a fully online biochem class offered through Harvard and I have decided to take it over CSU for the following reasons:

1. Cost ($1500 vs $1850)

The Harvard class is actually costs $1350 but each of the 3 exams is paper/pencil so you must go to a proctoring center near you and pay them to watch you take them. The center near me charges $50/test so the course will be $1500 total. Also, there is a link in the sylabbus to download the textbook for free (Lehinger, 5th edition)
Sylabbus: https://canvas.harvard.edu/courses/7956/assignments/syllabus

CSU costs $1700 and the proctoring is included in the cost. You take your exams online at home using ProcterU. The e-text is required because it has the quizzes embedded into it. In total, the course will cost $1850.

2. Format

Harvard
3 exams (300 points) = 75%
2 problem sets (100 points) = 25%

CSU
4 exams (400 points) = 85%
14 quizzes (70 points) = 15%

All exams for both classes are non-cumulative. Harvard wins here because I hate quizzes and I think I would learn better and have less stress by doing 2 problem sets over 14 weekly quizzes plus there is 1 less exam.

3. Content

I like the topics of the Harvard class better as there is more biology than chem whereas CSU had more chem (lots of enzyme kinetics). Harvard also felt like it had a lot more of a human emphasis to it (last lecture is on diabetes). In addition Harvard covered amino acid, nucleotide, and lipid metabolism in addition to the usual carbohydrate metabolism covered in a typical biochem class (glycolysis, TCA, and ETC). I would much rather learn more metabolism than more enzyme kinetics.

I am choosing Harvard because of cost, format, and content. Unless you are in the middle of nowhere and have to take the exams at home, I would recommend Harvard's class.

Reactions: 1 users
I have taken CSU's Biochemistry and Physiology courses. I just wanted to comment here because of SlugMD's comments above. The quizzes - for both physio and biochem - were very low pressure, open book quizzes. I don't think I missed a single point from the biochem quizzes. The physiology quizzes were a bit tougher simply because the eBook is not great - I didn't use it for anything, other than taking quizzes. The biochem eBook is very well written and helpful. The content points that SlugMD made above are valid, though I didn't feel we had an excessive amount of enzyme kinetics and it presented in a very straight forward way. We didn't go into a great deal of detail on amino acid, nucleotide, or lipid metabolism (but obviously hit the typical carb metabolism pieces). There were a lot of good examples of human applications in the biochem course. For both physiology and biochem, I believe I finished with > 95% and an A, while working full-time and doing little more than watching the lectures, completing assigned reading (biochem only, none in physiology), completing the online quizzes, and reviewing my notes prior to exams.

No it isn't. There are 14 quizzes that must be taken weekly that correspond to the 14 modules of the class. You must also take each your 4 exams within a certain time period.

Since I have posted my comment, I have come across a fully online biochem class offered through Harvard and I have decided to take it over CSU for the following reasons:

1. Cost ($1500 vs $1850)

The Harvard class is actually costs $1350 but each of the 3 exams is paper/pencil so you must go to a proctoring center near you and pay them to watch you take them. The center near me charges $50/test so the course will be $1500 total. Also, there is a link in the sylabbus to download the textbook for free (Lehinger, 5th edition)
Sylabbus: https://canvas.harvard.edu/courses/7956/assignments/syllabus

CSU costs $1700 and the proctoring is included in the cost. You take your exams online at home using ProcterU. The e-text is required because it has the quizzes embedded into it. In total, the course will cost $1850.

2. Format

Harvard
3 exams (300 points) = 75%
2 problem sets (100 points) = 25%

CSU
4 exams (400 points) = 85%
14 quizzes (70 points) = 15%

All exams for both classes are non-cumulative. Harvard wins here because I hate quizzes and I think I would learn better and have less stress by doing 2 problem sets over 14 weekly quizzes plus there is 1 less exam.

3. Content

I like the topics of the Harvard class better as there is more biology than chem whereas CSU had more chem (lots of enzyme kinetics). Harvard also felt like it had a lot more of a human emphasis to it (last lecture is on diabetes). In addition Harvard covered amino acid, nucleotide, and lipid metabolism in addition to the usual carbohydrate metabolism covered in a typical biochem class (glycolysis, TCA, and ETC). I would much rather learn more metabolism than more enzyme kinetics.

I am choosing Harvard because of cost, format, and content. Unless you are in the middle of nowhere and have to take the exams at home, I would recommend Harvard's class.

Harvard is notorious for its grade inflation. Does anyone know if the extension school is similar?

Harvard is notorious for its grade inflation. Does anyone know if the extension school is similar?

I did not know that, if true that would be great haha

Maybe it would be better to ask this question in a different thread as this is dedicated to UNE courses.

@SkyBlueMonkies do you feel that you learned a good deal from the Biochem class? Aside from just getting the credit, I'd like to prep for the MCAT and am curious if this course is of benefit. Thank you for your input

@SkyBlueMonkies do you feel that you learned a good deal from the Biochem class? Aside from just getting the credit, I'd like to prep for the MCAT and am curious if this course is of benefit. Thank you for your input

I felt the content was very relevant to premedical students - the course is definitely geared toward pre-medical and pre-health students, and emphasizes both "big picture" concepts and key details. Furthermore, I thought it was a well done course and the professor was helpful and responsive. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but can report back next summer if I remember. :) I think review of material from the course will be a key part of my MCAT biochemistry review.

Harvard itself doesn't have grade inflation. Every single one of their students are 3.8+ students at a state school. They give out a 3.55 or 3.6 I think? That's not grade inflation.

That's the definition of grade inflation. Everything else you wrote is just a justification for it. I'm not saying I disagree with the justification, but it is nonetheless grade inflation.

See, for example, what the Harvard Crimson has to say about this topic. One quote: In 2001, FAS’s Educational Policy Committee labeled grade inflation “a serious problem” at the College after a report in the Boston Globe labeled the College’s grading practices “the laughing stock of the Ivy League.”

hello, I am enrolled in UNE general medical chemistry 1010 with Rowe and I'm about to take the midterm next week. How was your experience?

The midterm is totally do-able. I had no trouble, as I followed the exact directions that they give you.
1. print out the exam directions, it's true what they say, they midterm is similar to the quiz content, except obviously not the same problems. I would say the questions on the midterm are the same amount of difficulty as the quizzes.
2. Also, print out the objectives and goals out for each chapter, and be sure you can answer each each objective/goal. This helps collect your thoughts, and gives you and idea of where your weak areas are.
3. Review old quizzes, for help in what you might need to review.
4. Have frequent tables you use photocopied and readily available.
5. Good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions. :)

Anyone take microbio online with lab?
How was it?

How do these pre-reqs compare to a CC in-class lecture? Which would be better as far as mastering the material and maintaing a 4.0? I know both will work for grade replacement, just wondering if anyone has experience with both.

How do these pre-reqs compare to a CC in-class lecture? Which would be better as far as mastering the material and maintaing a 4.0? I know both will work for grade replacement, just wondering if anyone has experience with both.

I just recently completed a CC in-class course for general chemistry and online biology course w/ UNE. Though I've gotten an "A" on my biology course and a "B" on my chemistry class, I'd have to say that I've learned a lot more from my chemistry class taken at a local community college.

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this forum and I just had a few other questions that I didn't see in this thread.

Does anyone have any insight on the Genetics Course (BIOL: 1040) offered by UNE? How does the lab work online and is the cost for the materials required for the class expensive? Also, what is the degree of difficulty compared to taking this at a Community College in person? I also plan to take Medical Gen Chem II online at UNE (lecture only) any insight on that course would be great as well!

I am just trying to figure out which way to go as I work full time. I'm trying to see if taking Genetics and Gen Chem II online would be better than taking one online and one at a Community College. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Finished Med BIO 2 online in November. I made a 75 raw on the final that got curved to a 93 so an 18 point curve. The final was evenly divided up over the module questions. The quizzes were open book but I would still usually miss one question because of how obscure some of the questions were worded. I skipped every video and crammed the entire course in 2 weeks so for people who want NO life and need to cram the course, it is doable. Final grade was an A but I don't think I made the 94, I think the final grade was curved as well. I thought the course was pretty difficult IMO but that is if it was curved so much. I don't know how much you will learn TBH but there was little to no material on plants which was a huge plus.

Edit: if you try googling the answers to the open book questions, I wouldn't bother they are often wrong. Also I think I saved my quizzes. BTW my class was with Dr. Fisher and she was generally helpful when I asked some questions. Overall the course was pretty good but I wish I wasn't forced to cram it...I am paying for it now studying physiology on the mcat. If you want advice to study for the final, go over all the quizzes the questions are similar but typically easy and evenly divided up (15 modules = 75 questions = 5 questions per module). Just my advice
This is super helpful - also a relief to know the final is curved! Im taking it next week. Do you know how/what she curved against? Since we all mostly get done at different times, Im suprised she curved it by that much; perhaps she wants students to get an A?

I just recently completed a CC in-class course for general chemistry and online biology course w/ UNE. Though I've gotten an "A" on my biology course and a "B" on my chemistry class, I'd have to say that I've learned a lot more from my chemistry class taken at a local community college.

Same here I would like to know!

I looked online, and the teacher teaching it has horrrrible reviews (Marta Frisardi), so I'm very hesitant about taking it. If I am paying so much money for a course, I want a definite "A", not a worse grade b/c of a bad teacher. I have to retake genetics due to a bad professor initially, so I need to find an online genetics course asap that I can finish quickly, and it not too bad money-wise as well as class-wise. Thanks!

Same here I would like to know!

I looked online, and the teacher teaching it has horrrrible reviews (Marta Frisardi), so I'm very hesitant about taking it. If I am paying so much money for a course, I want a definite "A", not a worse grade b/c of a bad teacher. I have to retake genetics due to a bad professor initially, so I need to find an online genetics course asap that I can finish quickly, and it not too bad money-wise as well as class-wise. Thanks!
Exactly what I was trying to figure out, it would be a huge waste of time and money to get anything less than an A on one of these classes. Any teachers to avoid?

Looks like I may have to enroll in Gen. Chem II w/ UNE. It's getting really difficult setting up my school schedule while working FT when I'm designated as a fill in charge nurse. Anyone enrolled or have completed Chem II w/ UNE, what are your thoughts about the course? Can someone who is enrolled or have completed the course be kind to send me the course syllabus via PM? Thanks.

Does anyone know if UNIT 4 exam of the BIOCHEM class is cumulative of the entire semester (units 1,2,3,&4) or is it just cumulative of units 3 & 4?